Ghosts & Japes

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Ghosts & Japes

Postby Eniel » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:23 pm

Morkeleb wrote:This game is amazing, kudos to you sir or madame. I'd love more status effects and more ways to interact with the ghosts other than them just nomming you. Maybe a ghost fucks the soul out of you rather than just eat you as a example. But if you wish to keep the game pg I understand.

'Tis the joy of modding, nothing is stopping YOU from giving Angello a comically large-in-proportion ghost penis.
It'd just be hard to pair with mods that spriteswap the player, unless you figure out a way to obscure them.
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby Snorlaxkid » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:56 am

My one negative comment is that several of the rooms are too small for how many ghosts can spawn in them, making it impossible/near impossible to clear even with a full health bar as you'll get caught in an endless cycle of being eaten. I've had to reset the FIRST FLOOR multiple times because of this.
Snorlaxkid
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby PrinceVoltaire » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:49 pm

Loving the game so far, managed to do 5 floors before being taken inside a forever home by one of the ghosts! I just wanted to ask how I can access debug mode? I followed the instructions on what to do for the files but it isn't clear how I get to turn it in inside the game itself so some help would be appreciated!
PrinceVoltaire
New to the forum

Postby JapesofGrapes » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:16 am

PrinceVoltaire wrote:Loving the game so far, managed to do 5 floors before being taken inside a forever home by one of the ghosts! I just wanted to ask how I can access debug mode? I followed the instructions on what to do for the files but it isn't clear how I get to turn it in inside the game itself so some help would be appreciated!

If you did it correctly, try any of these in game.

DEBUG MODE CONTROLS

F2 - Warp to a specific room inside the house
F3 - Render a crude map of the floor layout. Use the mouse scroll wheel to move the map up and down. Hold shift while mouse-wheel-scrolling to scroll left and right instead. NOTE: This debug function is prone to crashing rarely, it isn't perfect...
F5 - Regenerate the floor you are on for an entirely new layout.
F7 - Give yourself the key.
F8 - Give yourself a drill.
F9 - (ONCE): Room completion trigger for the room you're in + kill all enemies.
F12 - Make every solid in the room visible.
T - Dialog tester.

~ - Immediately cause a power outage.
+ - Increase health by 1.
(hold SHIFT while pressing plus to make it increment by x10)
Hold M while pressing + to increase money by 10.
Hold G while pressing + to increase kills by 10.
- - Decrease health by 1.
(hold SHIFT while pressing minus to make it decrement by x10)
Hold M while pressing - to decrease money by 10.
Hold G while pressing - to decrease kills by 10.

Mouse, middle click - Teleport player to cursor position.
Mouse, side1 - Spawn a random hostile ghost at cursor position.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby PrinceVoltaire » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:49 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:
PrinceVoltaire wrote:Loving the game so far, managed to do 5 floors before being taken inside a forever home by one of the ghosts! I just wanted to ask how I can access debug mode? I followed the instructions on what to do for the files but it isn't clear how I get to turn it in inside the game itself so some help would be appreciated!

If you did it correctly, try any of these in game.

DEBUG MODE CONTROLS

F2 - Warp to a specific room inside the house
F3 - Render a crude map of the floor layout. Use the mouse scroll wheel to move the map up and down. Hold shift while mouse-wheel-scrolling to scroll left and right instead. NOTE: This debug function is prone to crashing rarely, it isn't perfect...
F5 - Regenerate the floor you are on for an entirely new layout.
F7 - Give yourself the key.
F8 - Give yourself a drill.
F9 - (ONCE): Room completion trigger for the room you're in + kill all enemies.
F12 - Make every solid in the room visible.
T - Dialog tester.

~ - Immediately cause a power outage.
+ - Increase health by 1.
(hold SHIFT while pressing plus to make it increment by x10)
Hold M while pressing + to increase money by 10.
Hold G while pressing + to increase kills by 10.
- - Decrease health by 1.
(hold SHIFT while pressing minus to make it decrement by x10)
Hold M while pressing - to decrease money by 10.
Hold G while pressing - to decrease kills by 10.

Mouse, middle click - Teleport player to cursor position.
Mouse, side1 - Spawn a random hostile ghost at cursor position.

Thank you! I was able to try everything out except for the side1 part. Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I do side1?
PrinceVoltaire
New to the forum

Postby JapesofGrapes » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:31 pm

PrinceVoltaire wrote:Thank you! I was able to try everything out except for the side1 part. Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I do side1?

It's a mouse side button.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby Draggony » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm

This game is delightful though very hard. Not to mention nearly impossible to play single-handed ;3

Sometimes it's a matter of not if you'll fail but when if given multiple bad rooms in a row. Aside from the difficulty it's a pleasure to play. Wouldn't be so bad if it were more a roguelike and you got unlocks and such through your attempts. Such that you could eventually win. The enemies are so cute and I just wanna eat em up. I'm no sprite artist or I'd add some content myself.
I like eats cake... Mmmn.... ^.=,^ Image
Draggony
Somewhat familiar

Postby Catvs » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:16 pm

Unsure if this has already been stated, but the window for the screen is extremely small.
Anyway to fix that?
Catvs
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eniel » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:07 am

Catvs wrote:Unsure if this has already been stated, but the window for the screen is extremely small.
Anyway to fix that?

Can be adjusted in the pause menu, press ESC.
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby tongueplayer » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:49 am

An EXCELLENT little game, y'all should be proud.

The difficulty sets a very, very high learning curve and would benefit from the cjang S you've mentioned about floor 1 being made easier.
I basically quit using the drill because I couldn't find out when/where to use it - am I dumb? Like in Zelda hitting walls tells you where to place bombs, is there a trick I'm missing?
The music is cute but the single track looping does get old so thank you for allowing that to be disabled.

My one change I think would really make it better is changing the dialogue triggers. If I'm playing one-handed, it's frustrating to have to wiggle to try and escape just to allow for the HP threshold dialogue to take place. I would suggest making it so that, even once the heart appears, if HP is decreasing (no endo heart, which would be jice to be toggle able on and off) and crosses the trigger threshold, that the dialogue still plays.
tongueplayer
New to the forum

Postby SquishySofty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:11 pm

This is actually the most well-made game in Eka's, like one of the best! ❤

My further thoughts, inputs, and shenanigans:
Spoiler: show
- It's a good thing I've played Luigi's mansion before diving in, because I'd be sure that I'd die at THE PINK GHOST OVER AND OVER MY GOD WHY IS SHE SO FAST!?
- The difficulty and the learning curve (Without Luigi's Mansion knowledge) are quite high.
======^ Right off the bat on the first floor, you're greeted with three enemies on your first run, and newer players would have a harder time learning the enemy's patterns and understanding the mechanics. Yes, I can tolerate it, but one enemy I know is making me consider my life choices.
======^ As you go deeper into the floors, I thought slowly introducing newer enemies one by one would grant a better experience gameplay wise, instead of chucking 3 or more enemies at the same time in a single room/floor. Because as soon you're done with the first floor, you're not only greeted with a pitch black environment that's harder to see where you're going, but you're also greeted with even more enemies that could easily overwhelm the player.
======^ Just like other people mentioned, the rooms are too narrow to even dodge the large amount of enemies that crowded the area, even there's certain rooms are so small that it's impossible to escape (I had that happened to me twice). Combining with the slow movement speed on the player, the slow flash charge up, and no actual dodge button to tolerate it even further (I don't mind if it's not the case), this would make the experience frustrating rather than enjoyable. Plus, the enemy will always track the player, and will cut corners to perfectly get you. That's how the pink ghost (Tsughos) gets me like every time: The enemy does not stop once you're in your invincible state, the enemy will keep chasing you until you get eaten.
======^ I'm not good with struggling with a mouse (I'm good at with keyboard), hence why most of my playthrough was trying to struggle constantly, waiting for the flash cooldown to actually save my ass, or HOPING that I could finally get a breather at the corner of the room.
- I'm not expecting to get absolutely no damage, I'm not worried about that. I got my ass handed by getting near the ghost too many times when trying to succ them, so fair is fair. :lol:
- Saving is quite sparce, as you'll only save once every time you go through the next floor. What if I tabbed out or closed the game all of a sudden? 8O
- I subconsciously expect me to slam the ghosts on the ground thanks to my Luigi's mansion knowledge, lmao.
- The items are very pricy, especially if you get like around 100 coins per floor (In my experience that is), and the shop's prices are like 500 or more.
- I'm stuck at Floor 2 after consecutive game overs, but I'll try to grind to reach to the higher floors. ... If I have the time that is.
- A bit off topic, but if the game is modding compatible, can I change the BGM somehow? I don't mind the soundtrack, but if I'm going to hear that song for the rest of the game with no variation, it can get quite stale overtime.
======^ Speaking of mods, and this is very important: I want to keep the game as vanilla as possible. I don't like making mods just to gain an advantage gameplay wise, so I want to have the best experience as the dev intended, even if it's brutally hard lmao.
- On the more positive note, I LOVE the designs in the enemies. Especially the Orange ghost (Ghostplain) which reminded me of that one enemy from Tribal Hunter that I love too. ❤

Will continue to play more when I have the chance. ❤
Don't bother me... Move along and pretend I don't exist...
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SquishySofty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:48 pm

After playing for a while, everything went smooth sailing by now. Unfortunately, as I mentioned my previous post about chucking all enemies at once (After Floor 1 and 2), it gotten stale pretty quickly after seeing all enemies what they do, and how fast they'll move too.

Here are some tips for the newcomers:
- Not only you should use the flash to stun enemies, but you can harmlessly pass through the stunned enemies, giving you a chance to escape. You should ALWAYS do this if you want to get through them without getting caught.
- The player will slowly gain health when sucking enemies, so it's advised to group all enemies to stun them and suck them for maximum effectiveness.
- If you're in a middle of sucking, and there's an enemy nearby, release it immediately! (They'll disappear for a brief second after releasing) It's better to hit and run rather than keep sucking them and risk getting eaten by another ghost.
- Alternatively, you can quickly flash them, suck them, and immediately release them to give some breathing space, or move to a safe location to try again when they respawn.
- Make sure to trap them on obstacles or walls. The enemies aren't smart and will always keep tracking towards the player's origin point instead of a pre-defined pathfinding. This is VERY helpful on some maps where the player easily goes around tables or walls.
- Aim towards the annoying enemies first. Pink Ghost(Tsughos), Orange Kobold(Spookobold), Green Serpent(Spiriserpent), and Mage Ghost(Magi) are the main target. Because if not dealt with first, you'll most likely not gonna have a good time.
- If there's an item to increase your max health, go for it first. Don't waste your money on increasing stamina on the early stages (Yeah nah, I'm not gonna grind 1000+ coins just to increase my stamina by 1.), because health is more important especially on this current difficulty.

After learning that strategy, my health has never gone below 60 and finally went up to Floor 4. ❤
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Resilian » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:51 pm

Well... I dunno where i could post my little additions to this really nice game so...

Let me introduce my firsts mods, one replacing the player, the other is an enemy.

Kuroda and Dharsi are now available to download:

CW: Kuroda is a racoon with CV implied, Dharsi is a little green dragon replacing the default model of the player.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

If something wrong or not adequate, please let me know.
Resilian
New to the forum

Postby goldensunmasterrpg » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:57 pm

Resilian wrote:Well... I dunno where i could post my little additions to this really nice game so...

Let me introduce my firsts mods, one replacing the player, the other is an enemy.

CW: Kuroda is a racoon with CV implied, Dharsi is a little green dragon replacing the default model of the player.

The link seems to not be working....
goldensunmasterrpg
New to the forum

Postby JapesofGrapes » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:06 pm

SquishySofty wrote:After playing for a while, everything went smooth sailing by now. Unfortunately, as I mentioned my previous post about chucking all enemies at once (After Floor 1 and 2), it gotten stale pretty quickly after seeing all enemies what they do, and how fast they'll move too.

Thank you for your feedback and tips for new players!
There likely won't be a dodge button, but we'll make some difficulty adjustments.

tongueplayer wrote:An EXCELLENT little game, y'all should be proud.

The difficulty sets a very, very high learning curve and would benefit from the cjang S you've mentioned about floor 1 being made easier.
I basically quit using the drill because I couldn't find out when/where to use it - am I dumb? Like in Zelda hitting walls tells you where to place bombs, is there a trick I'm missing?

My one change I think would really make it better is changing the dialogue triggers. If I'm playing one-handed, it's frustrating to have to wiggle to try and escape just to allow for the HP threshold dialogue to take place. I would suggest making it so that, even once the heart appears, if HP is decreasing (no endo heart, which would be jice to be toggle able on and off) and crosses the trigger threshold, that the dialogue still plays.

We'll add a toggle for the endo heart. Unsure how we would go about the other dialogue state, as the hp thresholds are a different style of dialogue in comparison to the giving up dialogue.

Resilian wrote:Well... I dunno where i could post my little additions to this really nice game so...

Great job making your mod! You make us proud to make these projects!
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby JapesofGrapes » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:09 pm

We've looked over everyone's feedback, and wanted to give an update on what we plan on doing.
Not everything is final, but this is what we would intend to do.

- Difficulty adjustment, and the addition of normal difficulty. (Easy mode will be easier than the current "easy" mode.)
- Default window size is larger.
- Pink ghost (Tsughos) speed nerf.
- Modifying some rooms, adding some new rooms, and possibly per-floor rooms. (e.g., certain rooms that could only appear on the boiler floors.)
- Toggle for struggling method. (Pressing left and right, or wiggling the mouse.)
- Possible slight randomness reduction in how the floors are chosen. (Floor types would be in a randomized sequence to allow for more variety.)
- Possibly new floor types. (New floor types would mean more new ghosts.)
- Much more new music by our same composer!
- Possibly a bestiary. (When this is added, all enemy mods must be updated to have bestiary info!)
- Investigate the strange bug caused by the drill for those who use NVIDIA GPU.
- Look forward to an official modding guide in the near future better than what the README.txt has to offer. (It seems like readme.txt is an unfortunate relic of the past...)

In regards to mods, and hosting them...

While we will not be opening any Discord servers for our projects or for mod hosting/lists, anyone else is welcome to make unofficial servers for mods, discussions, and whatnot.
(We simply do not have the time or resources to dedicate to moderating such a thing.)
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby SquishySofty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:25 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:Thank you for your feedback and tips for new players!
There likely won't be a dodge button, but we'll make some difficulty adjustments.

I'm fine with that, because I already got used to the mechanics/strategies without that anyways. :-D
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby FluffyZang » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:20 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:We've looked over everyone's feedback, and wanted to give an update on what we plan on doing.
Not everything is final, but this is what we would intend to do.

- Difficulty adjustment, and the addition of normal difficulty. (Easy mode will be easier than the current "easy" mode.)
- Default window size is larger.
- Pink ghost (Tsughos) speed nerf.
- Modifying some rooms, adding some new rooms, and possibly per-floor rooms. (e.g., certain rooms that could only appear on the boiler floors.)
- Toggle for struggling method. (Pressing left and right, or wiggling the mouse.)
- Possible slight randomness reduction in how the floors are chosen. (Floor types would be in a randomized sequence to allow for more variety.)
- Possibly new floor types. (New floor types would mean more new ghosts.)
- Much more new music by our same composer!
- Possibly a bestiary. (When this is added, all enemy mods must be updated to have bestiary info!)
- Investigate the strange bug caused by the drill for those who use NVIDIA GPU.
- Look forward to an official modding guide in the near future better than what the README.txt has to offer. (It seems like readme.txt is an unfortunate relic of the past...)

These are all pretty great changes. No control customization yet, but I can live with that. Giving an option to change the struggling method is also a great call as someone with a double monitor setup, it's very easy to slip the mouse outside of the game window (could've also locked the mouse inside the game window but I like your idea better). Definitely can't wait for more new ghosts, though!
FluffyZang
Been posting for a bit

Postby SquishySofty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:38 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:- Difficulty adjustment, and the addition of normal difficulty. (Easy mode will be easier than the current "easy" mode.)

In case if anyone is confused, it means that the difficulty for the Easy mode (Y'know, the harder enemies that everyone pointed out?) has changed into "Normal" mode.
Example below (Via limited modding capabilities):
diff.png
I only modified the strings_en.txt, lmao
diff.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 755 times
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby bloodle8 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:53 am

Running into an error that crashes the game, unfortunately! Here's the crash log:

Code: Select all
############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event0
for object obj_textbox:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Index [97] out of range [97] - -1.split_text(100916,97)
at gml_Script_anon_gml_Object_obj_textbox_Create_0_9216_gml_Object_obj_textbox_Create_0
############################################################################################
gml_Script_anon_gml_Object_obj_textbox_Create_0_9216_gml_Object_obj_textbox_Create_0 (line -1)
gml_Object_obj_textbox_Step_0
bloodle8
Participator

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game