Can there be to much detail

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Can there be to much detail

Postby VorishHorish » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:07 am

I’m sorry if this thread has been done before but I’m dying to get everyone’s opinion on this. When I write generally write about every sense, but then end up thinking it’s to much and remove a lot. So my question is can a story get to detailed, and if so what are ways I can combat this?
You just got Bruhed
VorishHorish
Somewhat familiar

Re: Can there be to much detail

Postby ElPortero » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:51 am

It's all a matter of whether that detail flows naturally and can keep the reader engaged. For instance, if you're just listing off sensory inputs, that can get boring fast. But if you weave the senses and details into the action, you can get quite a lot of detail in there — and that's GOOD. Without detail, every story gets boiled down to connected dots. The details are the flavor and the nuances that make your story unique. I say it's better to take the time to work them in than to just slash them out. But your mileage may vary depending on your writing style. Ultimately, you are the author, and you have to go with what you feel works best for your work.
"I pray you, remember the porter!"

El Portero is open for story commissions: Check out the details.
ElPortero
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby CrimsonShadow » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:53 am

This feels very much like it'll vary from person to person. Like, for me, I don't really want a lot of details from the prey's perspective, since I can get grossed out if it's too detailed or too realistic. But for other people that's probably the big draw of the experience.
CrimsonShadow
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby TheDragonBoy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:55 am

ElPortero wrote:It's all a matter of whether that detail flows naturally and can keep the reader engaged. For instance, if you're just listing off sensory inputs, that can get boring fast. But if you weave the senses and details into the action, you can get quite a lot of detail in there — and that's GOOD. Without detail, every story gets boiled down to connected dots. The details are the flavor and the nuances that make your story unique. I say it's better to take the time to work them in than to just slash them out. But your mileage may vary depending on your writing style. Ultimately, you are the author, and you have to go with what you feel works best for your work.

I agree with ElPortero.
TheDragonBoy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Randomdude5 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:09 pm

CrimsonShadow wrote:This feels very much like it'll vary from person to person. Like, for me, I don't really want a lot of details from the prey's perspective, since I can get grossed out if it's too detailed or too realistic. But for other people that's probably the big draw of the experience.

I like lots of details from both the pred and the prey's perspective. In general I like long stories with lots of details.
Whatever it is, I didn't do it.
Randomdude5
Participator

Postby Chameleonette » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:45 pm

This honestly boils down to preference---which changes from person to person. Some people enjoy a quick scene that goes straight into the vore without much detail, some enjoy a full story and development, with as much detailing in the scene as possible, and others like more of a balance that doesn't go too far one way or the other.

Personally, I love detail and don't see nearly enough of it in the things I enjoy. I love the nuances and there's a lot of detail you can add to vore scenes/stories and fun build-up and interactions you can do. It's my preference for writing, as well. I can't easily write a vore story that's short because I like having more substance to the story and characters/interactions. Sure, sometimes there are folks who say "well I skipped to the vore part" and that's fine, but there's people who enjoy a longer and more detailed story, as well people who enjoy something shorter and right to into the kink/fetish part of it.

It can vary with pred/prey perspectives, too, but I like lots of detail with both.

The best thing to do in these cases is just write what you like and what you feel comfortable with writing. There's always going to be different opinions on what's 'better' or more preferred, but writing for yourself and your own enjoyment and comfort first and foremost is important, in my opinion.
Passionate advocate of M/F vore.

My RP Seeking Thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35501
Chameleonette
---

Postby Slayerhero90 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:01 pm

I will note that there is a difference betweeen too much detail and poorly-integrated detail. The latter can seem like the former, because generally, "poorly-integrated" means "standing on its own and messing up the pacing of the story". If you feel like you're stopping the action to describe things, try weaving the two together a little better. A little action, a little detail.
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby FauxSlime » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:36 pm

You have to work on your own median and what works for you. A big tip is to not go "tolkien" as I call it...be descriptive about the characters and make it matter to the story. If someone has bad body odor make the other character gag and tear up from said stink. Details for me are an entire cause and effect relationship, if I detail something it's because it has an effect tied to it that will put flavor into the story. Don't overly detail the stink in the example because the reader can imagine what that would smell like in their mind. You could describe it as 'hot' 'thick' 'pungent' or 'putrid' and the reader will put the pieces together for themselves on what that would be like.

Same thing goes for struggling, if they are kicking and flailing just put a slight detail of what body part they are hitting and what effect it has on the other character and have the effect play out. Did it hurt the other person? Were they simply annoyed by it showing that the struggling character is absolutely helpless? You have to give off a certain tone through the details you are describing by letting your readers...well...read between the lines.

If a prey is struggling and the pred is easily holding them down then that gives the tone of helplessness. The only thing I can tell you to do is read plenty of books and pick up on some ques on how other writers spring out details. Layering a story is like layering a burrito lol, you can't just have a wall of rice and then get to a wall of meat and cheese, you have to evenly spread out story progression with details that matter within the scene. Take a look at my 'Playing with Food' story and you will see me doing this.

The best medicine for a better writer is reading a ton of books from different writers...that's how I got better at least lol.
FauxSlime
Somewhat familiar

Return to General Vore Discussion