So if robots are unable to harm humans.. (Pred/Vore related)

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

So if robots are unable to harm humans.. (Pred/Vore related)

Postby N-Mario » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 am

According to the laws of robotics, a robot is unable to harm a human. Though does that change if one is actually programmed to do so? As in, if they are intentionally programmed to swallow you whole, is that considered harm? Would it depend what the inside of the robot looks like after eating/swallowing you? Since we're talking about robots, there wouldn't be any digestion, or could there be? Like, some could be built with a digestive simulator somehow i guess. Or perhaps just metal grinders, in which case would be harming the human.

For example, in my fantasy, my robot dolphin would be capable of swallowing me whole, but only to keep me safe in its fluffy belly. So would this be filed for protection rather than harm in this case in terms of laws of robotics?
Though I would like to know if there are other fantasies involving other kinds of robots that are able to swallow humans whole, whether it was meant for harm, or to protect them in some way.
I'm a dolphin that prefers devouring my best buddy.
He loves to be eaten by me. I don't mind that at all.
N-Mario
---

Re: So if robots are unable to harm humans.. (Pred/Vore rela

Postby Ihumin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 am

Asimov's laws of robotics were designed for his own stories, and aren't the standard that all robots in general are held to. Assuming these robots do follow asimov's laws, however, vore should be fine as long as the humans are willing and aren't injured.
Ihumin
Been posting for a bit

Postby Eznam » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 am

N-Mario wrote:According to the laws of robotics, a robot is unable to harm a human. Though does that change if one is actually programmed to do so? As in, if they are intentionally programmed to swallow you whole, is that considered harm? Would it depend what the inside of the robot looks like after eating/swallowing you? Since we're talking about robots, there wouldn't be any digestion, or could there be? Like, some could be built with a digestive simulator somehow i guess. Or perhaps just metal grinders, in which case would be harming the human.

For example, in my fantasy, my robot dolphin would be capable of swallowing me whole, but only to keep me safe in its fluffy belly. So would this be filed for protection rather than harm in this case in terms of laws of robotics?
Though I would like to know if there are other fantasies involving other kinds of robots that are able to swallow humans whole, whether it was meant for harm, or to protect them in some way.

The laws of robotics are purely a theory/recommendation. There's plenty of robots right now who harm people and pretty soon even more with self-driving cars who will make the choice of protecting the driver or pedestrians. However, no, vore would not fall under that law unless the robot digests people. If it's designed to be able to do vore then there's no risk and therefore no harm.

There is currently a robot who can simulate digestion.
Eznam
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 am

The "Three Laws of Robotics" are far from universal, and rogue robots could be built and given programs that do not include those laws.

Star Wars has Assassination Droids, and Fallout 2 had an entire Army of robots bent on eliminating the remains of the human race.

A robot built to contain, transport, and protect a human through vorish methods is plausible, and so is one that is designed to fuel itself using living organisms.

It's quite possible that you could need one set of robots to protect organic life from those created to use organic life as fuel.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Jeice » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:01 pm

More importantly, the Three Laws of Robotics were written specifically to be broken, as each story about them feature some sort of quandary or perceived paradox regarding how they interact with each other. There's also a "Zeroth Law" that was introduced in the Foundation series.

Although they have been an influential cornerstone of Science Fiction, remember they they are really nothing more than a narrative tool for creating compelling stores

So instead, lets look at it another way. Say you're writing a story that incorporates Asimov's Laws of Robotics. How does that shape the story?

First, what are the Laws of Robotics?
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws

N-Mario wrote:a robot is unable to harm a human. Though does that change if one is actually programmed to do so?
A robot cannot be programmed to harm a Human. Though the Second Law states that it can be programmed "Follow orders", if following any such programming results in a Human to be harmed, either through direct action or inaction, this would violate the First Law, and so the Robot would not be able to obey it. It is important to remember that the Three Laws are built into something akin to the Robot's Firmware, or Kernal, or something deeper still, so no amount of programming will allow a robot to ignore these laws

N-Mario wrote:if they are intentionally programmed to swallow you whole, is that considered harm
It is only considered harmful if whether through direct action, or through inaction, the Human would come to harm

N-Mario wrote:Would it depend what the inside of the robot looks like after eating/swallowing you? Since we're talking about robots, there wouldn't be any digestion, or could there be? Like, some could be built with a digestive simulator somehow i guess.
There most certainly could be some kind of robot built to have a traditional digestive system. Asimov's "The Bicentennial Man" features a Robot who, in his quest to become Human, has one created and installed so that he could eat food like the Humans do.

N-Mario wrote:Or perhaps just metal grinders, in which case would be harming the human.
Yes, this would most definitely result in harm, both through action and possibly through inaction

N-Mario wrote:For example, in my fantasy, my robot dolphin would be capable of swallowing me whole, but only to keep me safe in its fluffy belly. So would this be filed for protection rather than harm in this case in terms of laws of robotics?
So, to satisfy your fantasy, your robot Dolphin can swallow you either by order (Second Law) or to protect you (First Law) so long as doing so will not actively harm you (no chewing, turning off any digestive acids it may have) or cause you harm through incident (peristaltic pressure from swallowing and moving you through the esophagus, squeezing you into the stomach, providing you sufficient breathable air in the stomach, and not accidentally injuring you as it moves around)

Although I love robotics and robot stories, my own tastes in vore don't really go that way, so I can't really point you to any specific examples, but I hope this has helped answer questions about the Laws themselves
Jeice
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sweetladyamy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:06 pm

The 'Three Laws of Robotics' are pfffttt... (straight up honesty here)

As for robots and vore...it's not my thing. Can't really help here.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby Peptidase » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:12 pm

May Asimov's ghost forgive me for looking so deep into this. I'm going to say: yes, but under some really narrow circumstances.

To review, the first law of robotics as laid out by Asimov is: "A robot cannot harm a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm." In the stories, the definitions of 'cause' and 'harm' are stretched to near-breaking, and on many cases refers to emotional harm.

The issue with that is that robots have a notoriously high standard for what constitutes harm. For example, in "Little Lost Robot" an asteroid mining operation encounters a problem when their robots keep destroying themselves trying to "rescue" humans from radiation that causes minimal damage at the level of exposure the workers were receiving, but instantly fries the robots. In "Liar!" a robot fries itself trying to resolve a conflict when it realizes that lying to make people happy hurts them equally to being told a harsh truth (this sounds like it'd be a problem with other robots, but this robot was accidentally telepathic which made the problem WAY worse). In "Galley Slave", a robot was prepaired to lie to a court of law to save the reputation of someone suing it's manufacturer who blamed a mistake on it, and the defense team had to try and convince the prosecution to say that his reputation was damaged either way to free up the robot to tell the truth (which ended up not working although they did succeed in making the prosecution confess themselves through some good old fashioned normal psychology).

So I'd wager that a robot, not designed for the task (because if they were then why even ask?), that could swallow a human being without physically hurting them and contain said human being inside of themself without risk of harm (suffocation, cramping, whatever), it could probably be convinced, even if it damaged the robot, that not swallowing the human would be allowing them to succumb to mental harm, and the robot would probably go for it after triple checking they had a good balance of electrolytes and no history of claustrophobia. Even then it would have to be for a short time to prevent the human from developing stiff muscles. Any bumps or bruises they might incur on the way down or back up would be unacceptable to the robot.

So VERY safe vore, emphatically willing prey.

Interestingly, in the aforementioned "Little Lost Robot", the mining operation tries to fix their radiation problem by modifying one of their robots so that it lacked the "through inaction" part of the first law. This ended up being a HUGE problem as the robot became unpredictable and even violent on the logic that the robot could start punching and then stop before it hit someone without hurting them, and then decide not to stop after starting. Swallowing safely, then NOT 'regurgitating' would definitely be in the realm of possibility for a modified robot.

You could also take a "The Naked Sun" approach of a naive robot accidentally hurting a human, such as by asking them to add something to someone's food not knowing it was poison. If the first law somehow applied to a case, it could be worked around by simply disguise the fact that the thing being swallowed was human.
30,000 words in half finished stories and counting!
Peptidase
Participator

Postby Bright » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:22 am

Imagine having an intelligent house that makes om nom nom noises when you go inside.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby fixated1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 am

Even in I, Robot, which is the story the laws belong to the robots are able to harm humans with the laws in place for the "greater good." Also, it's programming. If you programmed a robot to eat people it would do that. They do whatever you program them to do.

If you programmed both the laws and the eating command into a robot sophisticated enough to understand those two conflicting ideas and gave them the means to eat and digest people fatally... you'd probably have a bug which would make the outcome unpredictable. One code or the other could win out depending on how they're written or the robot might suffer a software crash or an endless loop of starting and stopping the motions of eating someone. It might just freeze. It might eat someone then rip itself open to let them out. Personally I think the laws would win out. Despite the story they seem pretty iron clad to me. It would have this constant command telling it to eat you and you might never know. Not until it downloads an update that messes up the laws.
fixated1
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Logic101 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 am

fixated1 wrote:Even in I, Robot, which is the story the laws belong to the robots are able to harm humans with the laws in place for the "greater good." Also, it's programming. If you programmed a robot to eat people it would do that. They do whatever you program them to do.

If you programmed both the laws and the eating command into a robot sophisticated enough to understand those two conflicting ideas and gave them the means to eat and digest people fatally... you'd probably have a bug which would make the outcome unpredictable. One code or the other could win out depending on how they're written or the robot might suffer a software crash or an endless loop of starting and stopping the motions of eating someone. It might just freeze. It might eat someone then rip itself open to let them out. Personally I think the laws would win out. Despite the story they seem pretty iron clad to me. It would have this constant command telling it to eat you and you might never know. Not until it downloads an update that messes up the laws.

That movie is not the best example and has a lot of problems with how it interprets the 3 Laws. The justification of the "greater good' stems from the second part of the first law "or through inaction, allow a human to be harmed." It makes no sense to ignore the first part to enforce the second part.

In that movie "despite the fact that it is notable that the main robot character can ignore the laws" robots seem to ignore the laws all the time. For the main character's backstory, there is no way an Azimov robot would choose to let someone drown even if they had lower chances of survival. They would sooner self-destruct.

So, It will obey the order, but any chance that it might hurt you and it will stop or ignore you.
Logic101
Been posting for a bit

Postby Logic101 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 am

Bright wrote:Imagine having an intelligent house that makes om nom nom noises when you go inside.

I like the idea, but I was thinking a little less "smart" house and a little more "fun" house. Have you seen a funhouse with a dragon's mouth as an entrance, or the bouncy castles shaped like a dragon or a dinosaur? Something like that but more anatomical inside, and the mouth talks to you.
Logic101
Been posting for a bit

Return to General Vore Discussion