Dragoncon

Talk about group gatherings of any kind that are relevant to our community!
Forum rules
Talk about group gatherings of any kind that are relevant to our community! This is not for individual meetings. Group only. Find another site if you are looking for a hook up. This site does not accept personal hook up.

Re: Dragoncon

Postby 4ofSwords » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:41 pm

sansuki wrote:Now this is fascinating. I was actually considering offering to *run* a panel dealing with the history of alternate history or something similar if I commit to Dragoncon, or be a panelist if panelists are needed. If there is history where they didn't draw much, well, I'd probably still make the offer but I will ratchet expectations down markedly. It might be for the best if that fission does happen; it's never any fun for anyone when one track has two wildly tonally different things under its roof, such as when the Brit Track was 50% Whose Line Is It Anyway.

If you do, depending on the kind of response you get, you might actually consider proposing it under the umbrella of Sci-Fi Lit anyway? I think the old dogs that Linaweaver and Resnick appealed to are mostly at the Hyatt now anyway (if you're aiming to gather those folks), but the Writing/Sci-Fi tracks are always poaching steampunk as a topic, and AltHistory/Steampunk is always poaching Fantasy/Sci-Fi topics. Personally, I think Steampunk and AltHistory -do- belong together, but I'm quite likely a minority view on that.

sansuki wrote:I actually ended up running a panel on accident and unintentionally back in... god, 2005 or so. Wasn't very hard, even though I was a last second fill-in for another fan who had a medical issue and the track director I'd been talking to earlier collared me and threw me behind the microphone. Compared to that, actually volunteering for one should be much more fun!

No... I think it should be remarkably easy to run a panel - at least most of the ones I've been in, particularly if you're prepared.

sansuki wrote:I personally tend to get... bored... by the entire Victorian era; my historical interests start tailing off around Napoleon and pick back up in WW1. The British Empire era just bores me to tears.

As well it should! That's why it's so ripe for "alternating". :D It needs fixing. Or magic. Or aether-powered airships. Or furries. Or corsets on the outside.

sansuki wrote:*waves cane around, clutches her copy of the paper pocket grid*

Hah! I was lucky I hadn't thrown mine away. I spent a whole session marking it all up to the best of my memory. But luckier you!
4ofSwords
???

Postby miranda_dragon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 am

That was a pretty incredible post sansuki :D

By Sunday, my friend and I realized we had the most fun just watching people. So we camped out on a couch in the Marriott for a few hours and had a blast just sitting on the edge of insanity.

Also, my legs don't work no more!

I am having a strong internal debate about bringing the Miranda costume out to this thing (when it's complete).
miranda_dragon
Participator

Postby sansuki » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 am

4ofSwords wrote:If you do, depending on the kind of response you get, you might actually consider proposing it under the umbrella of Sci-Fi Lit anyway? I think the old dogs that Linaweaver and Resnick appealed to are mostly at the Hyatt now anyway (if you're aiming to gather those folks), but the Writing/Sci-Fi tracks are always poaching steampunk as a topic, and AltHistory/Steampunk is always poaching Fantasy/Sci-Fi topics. Personally, I think Steampunk and AltHistory -do- belong together, but I'm quite likely a minority view on that.

Politically, proposing a panel on alternate history while there is an explicitly alternate history panel is a bit... problematic. I'd like to hang back and figure what's happening there first, because if I propose it to the current alt hist track while he's planning on fully switching to steampunk that's bad, if I propose it to someone else and he's not that's also bad, if I propose it with a note asking for advice on who else to submit it to if he is planning on change that also risks offense... it's a delicate situation, because even moreso than most track suggestions it's saying "I don't think you're doing this right". I'll probably spend a while wording my pitch tactfully. Anyway, I Can see steampunk and alternate history being together, but the problem is when one thing is Trending and another is decidedly not, a track director whose incentives including packing their room and having lots of enthusiasm for their stuff is also going to veer towards the trendier, popular stuff. That's just a fact of the con, and a feature instead of a bug.

sansuki wrote:I personally tend to get... bored... by the entire Victorian era; my historical interests start tailing off around Napoleon and pick back up in WW1. The British Empire era just bores me to tears.

As well it should! That's why it's so ripe for "alternating". :D It needs fixing. Or magic. Or aether-powered airships. Or furries. Or corsets on the outside.

Oh, sure. There are easy points of departure that completely screw thing up (Victoria's husband dying earlier or later! FASHODA! etc) but the problem for me especially as a writer is that I have to know the history really well before I'm comfortable changing it and... well, victorian history makes me want to pass out and sleep forever. :lol:

That was a pretty incredible post sansuki :D

By Sunday, my friend and I realized we had the most fun just watching people. So we camped out on a couch in the Marriott for a few hours and had a blast just sitting on the edge of insanity.

Also, my legs don't work no more!

I am having a strong internal debate about bringing the Miranda costume out to this thing (when it's complete).

Thanks! Something about conventions loosens up the perpetual writers' block in my head and lets me wax lyrical about things and feelings. People watching is a great thing, though; my favorite perch is in the Hyatt on the second floor, near the consuite there are a couple jutting-out balconies with wire railings and plants. Sitting there, you have a great view of the hotel lobby, it's semi out of the way, and you can get food and drink refills quickly. It's a great little spot. I fully endorse the Miranda costume, too; the convention needs more fun stuff as a rule. Maybe just inside air conditioned hotels, though. :lol:
sansuki
---

Postby Emperor_Palpatine » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:49 pm

That was the best Dragoncon yet! I wonder if I saw anyone from here? Hm. Also, Miranda goes to Dragoncon? Fuckyes.
http://aryion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15662 /RP preferences

Walk in the room and I know they all know man
If they don't know, put on a little show
Emperor_Palpatine
Heavy user

Postby Crash » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Does anyone go to Nebkon in Nov?
Crash
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby miranda_dragon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Emperor_Palpatine wrote:That was the best Dragoncon yet! I wonder if I saw anyone from here? Hm. Also, Miranda goes to Dragoncon? Fuckyes.

It was my first time back since 2005. It wasn't quite this crazy back then. It's INSANE now. x_x
miranda_dragon
Participator

Postby Emperor_Palpatine » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:37 pm

I bet you ate all the preggos, Miranda. I didn't see any around by Sunday.

Emperor_Palpatine
Heavy user

Postby sansuki » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 pm

miranda_dragon wrote:
Emperor_Palpatine wrote:That was the best Dragoncon yet! I wonder if I saw anyone from here? Hm. Also, Miranda goes to Dragoncon? Fuckyes.

It was my first time back since 2005. It wasn't quite this crazy back then. It's INSANE now. x_x

Jesus, yes. My last Dragoncon was '07, and between then in now it has more than doubled in size. I was stunned basically 99% of the time. What's INTERESTING to me is that because of the Hilton and Sheraton, the Marriott became the most congested hotel; back in my day, the Hyatt was infinitely harder to navigate!
sansuki
---

Postby miranda_dragon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 pm

sansuki wrote:
miranda_dragon wrote:

Jesus, yes. My last Dragoncon was '07, and between then in now it has more than doubled in size. I was stunned basically 99% of the time. What's INTERESTING to me is that because of the Hilton and Sheraton, the Marriott became the most congested hotel; back in my day, the Hyatt was infinitely harder to navigate!

Yeah, the Hyatt used to be crazytown central, with the Marriott as an interesting diversion and point of relaxation.

I had heard the Hyatt got a bit more strict about keeping areas more clear. Marriott certainly has the huge concentration of persons now.
miranda_dragon
Participator

Postby Emperor_Palpatine » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 pm

It has since at least the 2009 con.

Emperor_Palpatine
Heavy user

Postby Feeder » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 am

I am hoping to go to Dragon*Con next year. I have already got a hotel reservation, i'll get a membership as soon as my paypal goes through.

I also hope to cosplay at least one day at the con, maybe two.
Feeder
Participator

Postby VoreLover12 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:14 am

I am planning to go to Dragoncon next year and cosplay as my character from the chat.
VoreLover12
Participator

Postby Emperor_Palpatine » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:15 pm

I really hope I can track down a hotel this year. I'm already really excited. My girlfriend and I have started working on our costumes, already, too!

Emperor_Palpatine
Heavy user

Postby allcollapse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am

sansuki wrote:Dragoncon 2013- A List Of Tenuously Connected Thoughts

Thank you for that summary. I've always wanted to go to one of these conventions, but I have really bad issues with anxiety and crowded places. Here recently, I've been studying videos and reviews of various conventions. I think attending one will be a good exercise for me.
allcollapse
Been posting for a bit

Postby nuclearbreath » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:45 am

i go about every other year, and will be going to dcon 2014. its the best con in the southeast. it would be interesting to see something vore related there. i would definitely go.
nuclearbreath
New to the forum

Postby Indighost » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 am

miranda_dragon wrote:I am having a strong internal debate about bringing the Miranda costume out to this thing (when it's complete).

There's a miranda costume?! 8O This might be enough to finally bring me south of the Mason-Dixon line

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. There's probably more than one dragon at these Dragon Con, right?
Indighost
---

Postby miranda_dragon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 am

Indighost wrote:
miranda_dragon wrote:I am having a strong internal debate about bringing the Miranda costume out to this thing (when it's complete).

There's a miranda costume?! 8O This might be enough to finally bring me south of the Mason-Dixon line

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. There's probably more than one dragon at these Dragon Con, right?

There are usually a few dragons.

There is not a Miranda costume...yet. But, one is being made.
miranda_dragon
Participator

Postby Emperor_Palpatine » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Is everyone hyped for DCon yet? XD

Emperor_Palpatine
Heavy user

Postby sansuki » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 pm

My hype level pegged when we hit 1 month out. 15 days until I fly to Atlanta.
sansuki
---

Postby 4ofSwords » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Whee! I told myself I wasn't going to go this year, but this was the last year my kiddo could get in for free, and coincidentally the same year he started getting interested in strange, nerdy things like Pokemon, so it's definitely going to happen Saturday, at least. :)
4ofSwords
???

PreviousNext

Return to Conventions connection