Shrink Island: Unbirth-Centered RPG [V0.0.4] (5/28/2022)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Shrink Island: Unbirth-Centered RPG [V0.0.2a]

Postby StubTailDstroyer » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:29 am

MasterBedwomb wrote:Greetings all,

I finally had a few hours today to sit down and crack this project back open again. Turns out fixing most of the bugs that have been reported to me was fairly straightforward, and since they were pretty prominent flaws in V0.0.1 I decided to go ahead and post it as a half-release of V0.0.2, aka V0.0.2a. V0.0.2b will contain any items written in the previously-written-out dev plan that weren't included in this version's changelog. V0.0.2b's release will likely take longer to produce as I will be getting back into the thick of important personal stuff for the remainder of the week.
Hopefully this version is a little less broken and a little less grindy! No new content yet, but the existing content should be a little more tolerable for those who were struggling.

Just tried the new version, and I think I may have found a bug. When doing the first scene with Allison, I get an error that audio/se/_cust_hearbeat.ogg can't be found. I did a bit of digging, and it seems that although this file is found within the v0.0.1 files, I can't find it anywhere in the v0.0.2a files. I'm not sure if there are other missing files at the moment, but I figured I'd let you know about this quickly.
StubTailDstroyer
New to the forum

Postby MasterBedwomb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:28 pm

StubTailDestroyer wrote:Just tried the new version, and I think I may have found a bug. When doing the first scene with Allison, I get an error that audio/se/_cust_hearbeat.ogg can't be found. I did a bit of digging, and it seems that although this file is found within the v0.0.1 files, I can't find it anywhere in the v0.0.2a files. I'm not sure if there are other missing files at the moment, but I figured I'd let you know about this quickly.

Damn, I know exactly why that's happened and I'm now sad because it means I can't easily exclude unused assets from the game's deployment (to reduce the game's size) without worrying about that.
The existing download will be replaced with one that should be working properly within a few minutes of this post.

(Edit: New version should be up now.)
MasterBedwomb
Been posting for a bit

Postby Skittles209 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:31 pm

MasterBedwomb wrote:
StubTailDestroyer wrote:Just tried the new version, and I think I may have found a bug. When doing the first scene with Allison, I get an error that audio/se/_cust_hearbeat.ogg can't be found. I did a bit of digging, and it seems that although this file is found within the v0.0.1 files, I can't find it anywhere in the v0.0.2a files. I'm not sure if there are other missing files at the moment, but I figured I'd let you know about this quickly.

Damn, I know exactly why that's happened and I'm now sad because it means I can't easily exclude unused assets from the game's deployment (to reduce the game's size) without worrying about that.
The existing download will be replaced with one that should be working properly within a few minutes of this post.

(Edit: New version should be up now.)

files like these can be copied over. Just rename a chosen file to that description of the file missing and it usually works. There are sound libraries created by vore fanatics or just copying another file for a short term fix.

As far as reducing file size, never exclude unless you rework the coding and designate it to a specific file. I never worked with RPGmaker so I suggest asking around for help on coding flow. Excluding files always works more as a detriment unless your using completely customized pieces and know which basic files can be removed.
Skittles209
Participator

Postby MasterBedwomb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:04 pm

Skittles209 wrote:files like these can be copied over. Just rename a chosen file to that description of the file missing and it usually works. There are sound libraries created by vore fanatics or just copying another file for a short term fix.

As far as reducing file size, never exclude unless you rework the coding and designate it to a specific file. I never worked with RPGmaker so I suggest asking around for help on coding flow. Excluding files always works more as a detriment unless your using completely customized pieces and know which basic files can be removed.

I think you misunderstood the situation a little, so I'll elaborate.
RPG Maker MV has an option when deploying/exporting the game to automatically exclude any assets from the copy that RPG Maker thinks aren't used. I'm not manually cutting assets or parts of the code.

For a simpler project, this should work fine. However, when checking for what the game does or doesn't use, it (apparently) doesn't take into account parts of the game that fetch assets using JavaScript instructions rather than RPG Maker's script blocks. The part of the code that plays the heartbeat sound is an example of this, as I couldn't make it vary in speed or pitch without doing so. While, yes, I could just copy the sound file over from V0.0.1 after deployment, I don't remember if there are any other parts of the code I've written that would break for the same reason, I decided to just play it safe and deploy with unused assets included.
MasterBedwomb
Been posting for a bit

Postby MasterBedwomb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:25 pm

About 4 days ago, Heurmystic wrote:<A lot of stuff that I somehow overlooked>

I am so sorry I missed this chunk of feedback :oops: I was looking back through the thread and noticed that I hadn't said anything in response to this, which is unfortunate since you put a lot of thought into it.
Well, no better time to do it than now.

Heurmystic wrote:Thank you for making this! There aren't enough games like this and most of the existing ones are no longer being developed. There are some really good ideas in this as well like the multiple orgasms and lust system.

MasterBedwomb wrote:While not RNG-heavy, the current system might be a little unfair though, as touched upon above, so one of my main focuses for continued development immediately after V0.0.1 releases will be optimizing the behavior of your unbirther to be more fair and enjoyable.

This seems to be one of the points a lot of games like this struggle with. On one hand too high of difficulty and or too much RNG can be very frustrating. On the other I think for a decent amount of the people playing a large part of the appeal is in being dominated, struggling and failing. If the game is too easy or even not hard it loses some appeal for those people and without RNG if you know what you're doing things become deterministic. I've imposed restrictions on myself or edited the code of some of the previous games like this to make them harder but not every player is willing to do that to make a game fun for themself. You might be able to add a difficulty selection but depending on how you have the game set up that might not be as simple as it sounds. Stats increasing like in Shrinking Fun can be another solution, and you already have it in the game, however the the stat increases can eventually make most girls trivial to escape from and thus not very... uh... fun. That's one of the reasons I really like the idea of the lust stat. Having something that makes the game harder over time is great for keeping things interesting as the player progresses. That said I'm not sure that just increasing the difficulty of getting a girl to orgasm really has enough impact on difficulty. With high enough stats you can fairly easily escape without making the girl orgasm and the player also has two seperate stats that can be increased to make it easier to pleasure the girl. You've already got a 'goal' system for both the character and the girl, what if lust or another stat effected what 'goals' the girl could have and thus her potential actions?

I haven't talked about this much since it's not really a relevant development point in the game's current state, but future characters will also have a stat called Friendliness. Friendliness and Lust primarily serve to carry forward a character's developing relationship with you, both in and out of the womb. In theory, these stats can combine to make a variety of behaviors that allow a character to not be as single-minded as Allison currently is.

In regard to providing a variety in difficulty, the range of strength in girls I have drafted ideas for is rather large, which can provide difficulty to the player even when weaker characters no longer are interesting (as long as I'm careful about it). Additionally, with the exception of a few mandatory encounters that direct the story (such as Allison's first interaction with you), the vast majority of scenes are going to be actively sought out by the player.

Regarding the tutorial, Heurmystic wrote:Having the Tutorial be missable or even just delayed feels off to me. You could have the player hit the Tutorial immediately after the first encounter by having the scientist walk in on it or you could remove the player having the option to attempt escape prior to the getting her attention bit to avoid the player needing to rest instead. You could also make the first encounter more scripted/a forced loss to prevent the player from spending a lot of time on it while not knowing what they're doing.

if you've been continuing to follow along with the thread, you should already be aware that I'm planning to rework this in the very near future. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I think presenting the tutorial after you've been thrown into the soup is an interesting idea that was, in hindsight, executed poorly.

Regarding visuals, Heurmystic wrote:Honestly even just going text only would be fine imo if you keep putting out content this good. It'd be better with dedicated assets but without the skills and tools to make them you'd need an artist which can be expensive and time intensive as good art takes time to make. Imo you should keep making the game with free assets, open a patreon after an update or two so that people know you're serious, and then put some of the money from that towards commissioning assets or buying the tools you need to make them yourself. The issue here is that the Shrinking Fun assets are available IF you're not profiting from them. You need money to make/buy assets but the assets you're using prevent you from making that money. I dislike patreon generally because I feel that it insidiously motivates creators to drag projects out(I'd much rather pay for a complete product) but when you need money for a project you need money for a project. I know you've said you don't intend to try to profit off this but if one of the bottlenecks for you is money donations are a solution.

While you make a valid point, I think exclusively using text in this game style can get dull pretty fast, no matter how good of a writer I might appear to be. I could probably do that in regard to implementing new characters and develop assets later, but I feel like I would be missing out on a lot of potential if I went down that path long-term. I've still got a lot of short-term developments to make with how the actual encounters work though, so that's ultimately not something that I really need to think about too hard for a while.

While I don't have it in the plans to allow monetary support for this anytime soon (as you mentioned), an idea I've had in regard to monetizing is to sell the game's engine as a separate resource so other people interested in developing in this style have something to help get them on their feet. I'm currently planning on rebuilding the engine from the ground up as a JS Plugin anyway (As opposed to continuing to use RPG Maker's event editor), so once it becomes refined enough that I'm satisfied, it may be among my options for an increased development budget.

Regarding Uncommon Vore Types, Heurmystic wrote:If you do end up including any of these, or even types that are common but simply not the main type of the game please make them obvious beforehand and avoidable. Encounters in this kind of game can last a decent length of time and if you happened to not save recently being trapped into an encounter you are not into can be very unpleasant.

My current plan for encounters involving any time of vore other than Unbirth is that they will likely be few and far between, and in most cases won't be available unless the player actively seeks them out. For Oral Vore, as an example, you'll either have to really piss a character off in order to make them seriously start thinking about eating you, or you'll have to get them to love you so much that they're willing to try it because you've persuaded them to.

Heurmystic wrote:What're your intentions for how you encounter the girls? Allison seems to currently be moving along a set track for instance. In Shrinking Fun I recall that aside from the maid and a few encounters on opening doors/entering rooms most encounters were essentially opted into by the player. In Shrunken Life the needs system kind of compelled the character to go out and take risks to get items and the encounters where generally harder to avoid(in some cases being too annoyingly so imo, but that's more due to the encounter itself not being interesting to me). In Tiny Misadventures and Shrink EXP you need to escape in specific places from specific girls to find some girls.

Allison moving along a set track is primarily to properly get the underlying story moving forward so the player doesn't miss the full context of their situation before going out to explore the rest of the world. Most other characters will need to be sought out by the player, and can be found in various locations in the world over the course of an in-game week.
More rarely, character(s) I plan to add MUCH later in development can be found by engaging with another girl enough that access to the other character(s) becomes unlocked. Hopefully that makes some semblance of sense, since it's a little vague, but you'll just have to see what I mean once I introduce them :)
MasterBedwomb
Been posting for a bit

Postby Leahperson » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:34 pm

Some UI thoughts.

-You could eliminate the "stamina -5, depth +4 etc" textboxes if you just included a little "+5" popup next to the appropriate numbers in the ui when the textbox describing your actions appears (color coding the number popups would also help, green for positive, red for negative). This would reduce the frustration in how many textboxes you need to go through.
-Having a progress bar in addition to flat numbers might help visualize things a bit more. Especially watching the bars go up and down with each action (though I guess for smaller actions the bars would hardly budge at all, this would still be quite helpful).
-It may or may not be a good idea to hilight "important" text in action dialogues with red. This might ruin some of the immersion by plainly spelling out what's important to look at, but I think the problem of "Players skipping past dialoge without reading closely" is a large enough problem that this fix may be nececerry. Not as sure about this idea though.
Leahperson
Been posting for a bit

Postby liquidgrumps » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:46 pm

Leahperson wrote: It may or may not be a good idea to hilight "important" text in action dialogues with red.

I think that already exists, I swear I saw orange text signaling that Allison was preparing to use her fingers to push me back in on the next turn when I was trying to escape at night.
liquidgrumps
Been posting for a bit

Postby StubTailDstroyer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:05 am

Leahperson wrote:Some UI thoughts.

-You could eliminate the "stamina -5, depth +4 etc" textboxes if you just included a little "+5" popup next to the appropriate numbers in the ui when the textbox describing your actions appears (color coding the number popups would also help, green for positive, red for negative). This would reduce the frustration in how many textboxes you need to go through.
-Having a progress bar in addition to flat numbers might help visualize things a bit more. Especially watching the bars go up and down with each action (though I guess for smaller actions the bars would hardly budge at all, this would still be quite helpful).
-It may or may not be a good idea to highlight "important" text in action dialogues with red. This might ruin some of the immersion by plainly spelling out what's important to look at, but I think the problem of "Players skipping past dialogue without reading closely" is a large enough problem that this fix may be necessary. Not as sure about this idea though.

I'd second all of these ideas. One thing that might be helpful in terms of a progress bar (as long as it's not too difficult to make within RPG Maker) is marking points of interest, like the upper and lower bound of the cervix, the location of the girls panties if present, and the location where you'll be able to hoist again. You can kinda already get some of this by paying close attention to the internal view and arm positions of your character, but a bar or something would make things a lot more obvious.
In particular, I think using little pop-ups that you don't have to confirm through for numerical results of your most recent action would be good, since at least to me, that'd make it easier to pay attention to the more unique messages.
StubTailDstroyer
New to the forum

Postby darknessblades » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:06 pm

-It may or may not be a good idea to hilight "important" text in action dialogues with red. This might ruin some of the immersion by plainly spelling out what's important to look at, but I think the problem of "Players skipping past dialoge without reading closely" is a large enough problem that this fix may be nececerry. Not as sure about this idea though.

For now i think its better to keep it "or at least a option to show or hide said text". but later down the line removing them is fine.

As for OP:
Depending on your artistic skills, keeping using the shrinking fun assets for now should be fine, but later maybe look into tools to make characters.
You could even use Paint.NET to change hair-color. to differentiate character A with Character B. if you are running low on assets/characters
darknessblades
Participator

Postby MasterBedwomb » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:25 pm

Spoiler: show

I've had a number of similar thoughts when brainstorming ideas for the UI's future development. The main problem is that RPG Maker's ability to customize UI in any significant way is very limited, even if you use prebuilt plugins (or at least ones that are free). I do agree that there's a lot of potential to improve the experience with additional quality-of-life elements to the UI such as those you've mentioned, and will be experimenting with more interesting UI solutions and overall customization settings when I rebuild the engine in JavaScript.

In regard to the last suggestion, that's already been done to an extent - clothing is highlighted pink to indicate when she's dressing or undressing, finger action warnings have a brown highlight, and the game warns you with red text when something you're doing is causing her to wake if she's asleep. If there are other important actions that you might think should also be highlighted similarly, feel free to point them out.
MasterBedwomb
Been posting for a bit

Postby Leahperson » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:32 pm

MasterBedwomb wrote:

I've had a number of similar thoughts when brainstorming ideas for the UI's future development. The main problem is that RPG Maker's ability to customize UI in any significant way is very limited, even if you use prebuilt plugins (or at least ones that are free). I do agree that there's a lot of potential to improve the experience with additional quality-of-life elements to the UI such as those you've mentioned, and will be experimenting with more interesting UI solutions and overall customization settings when I rebuild the engine in JavaScript.

In regard to the last suggestion, that's already been done to an extent - clothing is highlighted pink to indicate when she's dressing or undressing, finger action warnings have a brown highlight, and the game warns you with red text when something you're doing is causing her to wake if she's asleep. If there are other important actions that you might think should also be highlighted similarly, feel free to point them out.

http://sumrndm.site/hud-maker/

I had a LOT of success using this plugin. It may help.
Leahperson
Been posting for a bit

Postby Heurmystic » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 pm

MasterBedwomb wrote:While I don't have it in the plans to allow monetary support for this anytime soon (as you mentioned), an idea I've had in regard to monetizing is to sell the game's engine as a separate resource so other people interested in developing in this style have something to help get them on their feet. I'm currently planning on rebuilding the engine from the ground up as a JS Plugin anyway (As opposed to continuing to use RPG Maker's event editor), so once it becomes refined enough that I'm satisfied, it may be among my options for an increased development budget.

I only have the most surface level knowledge of how JS Plugins slot into RPG Maker. Would this engine be useable in or reasonably adaptable to other dev environments like Twine or would compatibility with RPG Maker preclude generic use?
Heurmystic
New to the forum

Postby Overmind42 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 pm

I found an error in the 0.0.2a version, It was game-breaking.

Fresh Start > Allison's first encounter > Player Intention: Pleasure the Master, Allison Intention: Womb's Call 1.
Braced until I had Allison at Pleasure 70/100, Player depth was 128 > Then Pleasured Allison for 6 turns and I got an Image Error notice with a "Retry" button that didn't seem to do anything.

I was trying to see if I can cheese the first encounter by bracing long enough to climax out of the first encounter.
Overmind42
Somewhat familiar

Postby MasterBedwomb » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:37 am

Heurmystic wrote:I only have the most surface level knowledge of how JS Plugins slot into RPG Maker. Would this engine be useable in or reasonably adaptable to other dev environments like Twine or would compatibility with RPG Maker preclude generic use?

I haven't made a JS plugin for RPG Maker before, so (at present) I'm not much more knowledgeable than you. That being said, from what I understand based on previous small projects I've done in a similar vein, the engine would have to specifically work with RPG Maker MV, and couldn't be repurposed into something like Twine without significant modifications. It might be able to work with other versions of RPG Maker, but some modifications (albeit smaller) might also be needed for that, I dunno.
If you had notepad++ or some other code editor, you could probably examine the code whenever I create it and use it as some sort of reference for a different project, but I highly doubt it could be used directly.

Leahperson wrote:http://sumrndm.site/hud-maker/ I had a LOT of success using this plugin. It may help.

Thanks for suggesting it! I took a quick look at it, it might be useful for some parts of the future UI ideas I have. I'll take a closer look at it and see if it'll be useful/able to be incorporated into the engine somehow once I start building it.

Overmind42 wrote:I found an error in the 0.0.2a version, It was game-breaking.

Fresh Start > Allison's first encounter > Player Intention: Pleasure the Master, Allison Intention: Womb's Call 1.
Braced until I had Allison at Pleasure 70/100, Player depth was 128 > Then Pleasured Allison for 6 turns and I got an Image Error notice with a "Retry" button that didn't seem to do anything.

I was trying to see if I can cheese the first encounter by bracing long enough to climax out of the first encounter.

I couldn't reproduce the error, so I'll ask a couple questions for clarification:
—First, check the game's filesize when unzipped. If it's about 300MB or less, you have the broken version of V0.0.2a; Try downloading it again and reproducing the error on the new copy. (see the two posts at the top of this page for why there's two versions)
—If the above didn't apply, what exactly did the error message say, and did it occur when you successfully caused a climax or when something else happened?
MasterBedwomb
Been posting for a bit

Postby ScienceTiny » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:34 am

This seems like a pretty good start. I seem to be running into a bug, though. After being in one of the UB scenes for a while, the game screen will freeze, but sounds and music are still playing. The buttons seem to work, too, but the image itself doesn't change.
ScienceTiny
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jondon » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:10 pm

ScienceTiny wrote:This seems like a pretty good start. I seem to be running into a bug, though. After being in one of the UB scenes for a while, the game screen will freeze, but sounds and music are still playing. The buttons seem to work, too, but the image itself doesn't change.

Its an image issue, it means the background image hasn't been removed so it will keep showing.
Jondon
New to the forum

Postby Overmind42 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:32 am

MasterBedwomb wrote:
Overmind42 wrote:I found an error in the 0.0.2a version, It was game-breaking.

I couldn't reproduce the error, so I'll ask a couple questions for clarification:
—First, check the game's filesize when unzipped. If it's about 300MB or less, you have the broken version of V0.0.2a; Try downloading it again and reproducing the error on the new copy. (see the two posts at the top of this page for why there's two versions)
—If the above didn't apply, what exactly did the error message say, and did it occur when you successfully caused a climax or when something else happened?

File Size is 270 MB (283,501,522 bytes).
Re-Downloaded, Got the same file size again so I think it was correct.
The error is quote: "Loading Error. Failed to Load: audio/se/_cust_heartbeat.ogg"

I too couldn't recreate the error as dictated in my previous report on the bug, but I did encounter the same error again following a different method.
Fresh Start > Skip Intro > Allison > Intention Deep Dive > Struggle-In to depth 115 > Tuck Arms > Allison confirmation dialogue that she's happy I tucked my arms in > Struggle-in x3 > Encountered the error.
Overmind42
Somewhat familiar

Postby unknownV5 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:00 am

Hey. I just played your game and it was so horrible (obvious sarcasm) that it made me want to relaunch RPG Maker MV just to see how it works. :D

Despite your lack of luck in finding someone with artistic skills to help you (skills which I unfortunately don't have), I can however - if you wish - help you improve the engine and the game. I have a long love affair with RPG Maker software before fate took me away from it.

However, I don't understand your wish to rewrite it in JavaScript; you can just use scripts for the most difficult game mechanics to code, the fact that RPG Maker MV is 5 years old should also help you find the scripts you need...

Anyway, the game is really nice from an event perspective, you literally use the software the best it can give.
unknownV5
New to the forum

Postby Turnabout » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:15 am

Whoa! This was incredible! Well done! I look forwards to seeing more incredible work from you!
Turnabout
New to the forum

Postby MasterBedwomb » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:37 am

Overmind42 wrote:File Size is 270 MB (283,501,522 bytes).
Re-Downloaded, Got the same file size again so I think it was correct.
The error is quote: "Loading Error. Failed to Load: audio/se/_cust_heartbeat.ogg"

I too couldn't recreate the error as dictated in my previous report on the bug, but I did encounter the same error again following a different method.
Fresh Start > Skip Intro > Allison > Intention Deep Dive > Struggle-In to depth 115 > Tuck Arms > Allison confirmation dialogue that she's happy I tucked my arms in > Struggle-in x3 > Encountered the error.

So you're definitely getting the same bug as in the first post on this page of the thread, which is supposed to be fixed in the version of v0.0.2a that's currently available. What's happening is that the game is trying to play the heartbeat sound when you get to 40% depth or greater, but it can't find the heartbeat sound file because it didn't include it in the game's deployment, as I've explained above on this page.
What's befuddling me at this point is how you downloaded the broken version again, since I removed the broken version from mega.nz and from mediafire long before you reported this in the first place, and they should no longer be available for download. The version without that issue is supposed to be about 802 MB in size, or a little over 700 MB zipped.

I would try downloading it one more time to make absolute certain that you have the correct version, and if that doesn't work you'll have to directly copy the file over from a copy of V0.0.1, and hope that no other files share the same issue. Here's how to do that if you end up needing to:
1. In the main game folder of your V0.0.1 copy, go to the directory /www/audio/se/ and copy _cust_heartbeat.ogg
2. Find the same folder in your copy of V0.0.2 and paste that file into it
3.Hopefully the error should no longer be present, and none of a similar nature will also appear.

Jondon wrote:
ScienceTiny wrote:This seems like a pretty good start. I seem to be running into a bug, though. After being in one of the UB scenes for a while, the game screen will freeze, but sounds and music are still playing. The buttons seem to work, too, but the image itself doesn't change.

Its an image issue, it means the background image hasn't been removed so it will keep showing.

Could either of you elaborate on this so I can look into it further? What specifically is happening, in what scene(s) and do you have to do something in particular to trigger it?
MasterBedwomb
Been posting for a bit

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game