Scales and Wings 0.4.4.1 (abandoned - see top post)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Scales and Wings 0.4.4.1 (abandoned - see top post)

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm

All right. Sorry for disappearing off the face of the earth for a while. That was mostly my fault.

First, I'm not giving up on vore game development, or Twine in general. But the main reason I stopped updating all of the sudden was a hard drive formatting incident, where I lost all my working files for Scales and Wings. I had done quite a lot of work, story-wise, and to lose all of that all at once was a huge hit to motivation.

So now that I have regained that motivation, why am I not just picking up where I left off?

Well, I've learned more about Twine. Specifically Harlowe, the language this Twine game is coded in. And while it is great for beginners, and I have been doing a decent job of making the game's performance generally good, there is one key flaw with Harlowe that I cannot fix - the built-in History array. Inevitably, it gets bigger, and bigger, and it does not delete anything, ever. And it will continually add more and more lag every time a room is changed. In an open-ended game like the one this is, it will ALWAYS end in frustration. Like how Skyrim can start corrupting your save game after too many autosaves. Not too terrible for a casual choose-your-own adventure story of short or medium length, but a game? Absolutely terrible. Just my combat system would refresh (and add an entry to the History array) every single turn. (Actually, I'm pretty sure twice every turn, because of enemy action.) And this isn't even something I could code around, because it updates even if you never use it, ever.

I could technically ask people to save and load the game often (since that isn't a variable I use in the save system), but why bother, when I have so much to redo anyway, and I could be working on learning another, much more flexible and powerful story format?

It might be a while before I put the game back up, depending on how long it takes to learn, and it might not even be in the form of Scales and Wings specifically, but it seemed like a much better use of my time.

Without the quality of life improvements that would have been in this next update, I doubt people will want to play this game, but just in case, I'm leaving the old links up.

Old post:

Hello! My name is CrusaderSweetie, and, well, I've not had a good track record with game development. Fortunately, I knew better from starting too many things when writing fanfiction that I have this tendency of starting something then getting overwhelmed, so I never actually posted anything to get people excited for something that wasn't going to happen.

But then I found Twine. It was perfect.

I like coding, and I like text-based games, as I like writing (and reading) just as much as the game elements. I would have just found a language to learn, and done everything from scratch, but without compartmentalization, my brain just like to fizzle out completely and refuse to work properly. With Twine, though, it's a different story entirely.

Even so, I expected this project to go the route of my other games. I start, get something with placeholder assets and maybe two systems that function, then my interest dies down as the effort put in no longer matches my enthusiasm. But that didn't happen, and here I am. Even now, with literal days worth of work in this thing, I'm not even winded, figuratively speaking. And at this point, it's marginably playable, with only a few systems left before I would consider it to be an actual game experience.

Scales and Wings 0.4.4.1 (Alpha).zip
(127.99 KiB) Downloaded 1933 times

So what is Scales and Wings?

Briefly, it's a game where you play as a dragon - building his lair, gathering a hoard, and hunting for food. The game is set in Equestria, and in the scenario that is currently being developed, the Frozen North. (Note: you do not have to be familiar with the setting whatsoever to play this game.) Vore is not the absolute primary focus of this game, but it is heavily integrated into it, and is present almost everywhere. It is beneficial, but not required to succeed.

The vore in question is oral vore. And technically hard vore, because you can eat things instead of swallowing them whole, but it is not elaborated on, and is not graphic.

This is still an alpha build, though. Expect bugs, and expect unfinished material that may prove unsatisfying. Feedback would still be appreciated, though. The biggest priorities for feedback are balancing and opinions on how the current systems "feel" to you. I do not mind reworking systems if it means improving people's experiences. And please do report any bugs to me here.

Details:

Spoiler: show
Current features include:
- a fully functional battle system, including vore-based gameplay, a breath attack magic system, and even an "unconscious before death" system that has a possibility of saving your life given circumstances.
- a random encounter system and an enemy table that changes based on where you are (not much use right now, but it will be more important later)
- a hex-based visual map while in the wilderness that shows surrounding tiles
- an experience and leveling system that allows you to choose how you improve your character
- a hunger system that naturally heals you over time when full (does not require vore to function, but it interacts with vore nicely).
- a time and date system that not only affects flavor text in the outdoors, but also triggers events to happen in "real time" (don't worry, while a dragon has no use for an actual calendar, and you won't find the date on your HUD, you will get vague "premonitions" when major events happen).
- a companion that reacts to your actions based on how well you get along (literally half finished, will be somewhat annoying until I implement the conversation system that lets you get to know her better)
- an evolving home base that reflects your riches and current companion's attitude towards you (will be expanded as more systems get added)
- 1 scripted vore scene, depending on choices (it's not that great right now, I have other priorities to work on first)
- a save and load system

My current priorities include:
- Bug fixes if reported by people on this thread (Even if something just looks weird instead of an error, please let me know just in case.)
- Finishing the actual relationship dialogue trees with the possible companion, to make picking her up as a companion significantly less annoying. (She won't even like you killing sapient creatures in self defense, let alone vore, unless your relationship is higher. And while it is very possible to knock enemies out, it takes strategy to do it consistently. And you pretty much can't vore anything more than once without actually losing her as a companion.)
- an anger and forgiveness system with said companion
- creating a wait/rest system in your lair with realistic benefits and consequences
- filling out the game map, including a forest area
- finishing the first iteration of the reputation system (only will include one faction for a while)
- making the Crystal Empire tiles (this is more difficult due to the three states they can be during the game, and also the possible bosses. Maybe even a future town with NPCs depending on your reputation)

Planned features that are not immediate priorities include:
- A pregnancy and child system for if you go that path with your companion
- A mining system, with an optional simple-ish settlement management and building system for your children to live in (and grow up in, this is a long-term game and dragon lifespans are unbounded)
- More game maps, at least one (the mountain pass to the north) for higher level battles to prevent boredom, and possible other locations for interactions with other developed nations.
- Visuals, in the form of art drawn by myself. (This may range from a few key pictures to almost every screen having some sort of visual representation. But this will only happen once the core of the game is completed and is at least in Beta. No matter what, this will take considerably more time than the rest of the programming. I'm pretty fast at that.)
- Player suggestions, depending on how well they mesh with the current planned story
- The entire Ice story (far, far in the future)

Features that I will never include:
- A player-defined name for the character(s). You can manually change it in the save file if you want, but expect the occasional bug where you are referred to by the wrong name. While technically pretty easy to implement, this is primarily a Choose Your Own Adventure story with RPG elements. You are a defined character, with a defined name and a defined backstory, that you get to direct in the direction that you want. Like Fallout 4 but with slightly more player choice.
- Other types of vore. Or at least any type of vore that would require you to suspend your disbelief given the semi-realistic setting. I love the huge belly as much as the next person, but unfortunately that isn't the sort of game Scales and Wings is.
- Graphic sexual content. Implied sexual content will be most definitely included, and I don't mind more graphic things, per se, but I don't like making it in my own stories.
- Sound effects, unless someone somehow thinks it's important enough to lend their own efforts to make them for me. I don't personally see much benefit to them.
- Child-related vore content. (I mean, or sexual content, but I'm pretty sure that one is obvious.)

If someone really wants to go the extra mile, and knows their way in Twine, feel free to open up the file in Twine and take a look. I provide a bit of documentation in the top right corner, and many passages will have comments that show what each code block roughly does. This is for my own benefit too, just in case I work on one system for long enough to forget exactly what I did in a previous one. And so I don't have to sift through lots of passages trying to remember what I called a certain variable.
And if anyone wants to make their own Twine game, and likes a system I use in this one, feel free to take it. While you should ask for any art or story content, I firmly believe that code should be freely shared.

Changelog:
0.4.4.1:
- quick patch that actually resets the proper variables after a game over.
- literally nothing else was changed (I had other responsibilities today)

Previous Versions:
Scales and Wings 0.4.4 (Alpha).zip
(127.78 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Last edited by CrusaderSweetie on Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Re: Scales and Wings 0.4.4 (Twine) - New Game

Postby Entirely_Logical » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

One of the first things you notice is that re-starting after a failed run doesn't start you with a fresh slate, rather starting you with the status from the aforementioned failed run; as such, assuming your hit points were 0 or less before going into a fight, you immediately die upon entering combat.
Entirely_Logical
Somewhat familiar

Postby bahamut24 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm

just like entirely_logical mentioned: restart result game over

lair could use some option beside save/load like rest, heal or digest meals
it might be little helpful to know lair location like #west+#north of where u r now if no plan to wide map size
bahamut24
Somewhat familiar

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Ah, thanks. Yeah, don't know how I missed the restart thing.

I do kinda want the possibility of you getting lost. Though for reference, the cave is located at the northern edge of the map.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Re: Scales and Wings 0.4.4.1 (Twine) - New Game

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Patched. Actual new content should come pretty soon, but I had other things I had to do today, so there isn't any real changes other than resetting the initialization variables properly after a game over.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Oh, and I should also mention that a rest function is likely a feature that is coming in 0.4.5. Unless I somehow have a really hard time implementing it for some strange reason. (Which is technically a possibility, as time plays a large factor in many things for this game.)
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby bahamut24 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:57 pm

alright, it is decent start, looking forward to next update
bahamut24
Somewhat familiar

Postby WizardLizard » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:35 pm

My game seems to alternate between hiding the status display and hiding the 'go back inside' display. Also, there seems to be no button for waiting for time to pass, which you'd think would be somewhat important when you're low on health.
WizardLizard
New to the forum

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm

The lack of a rest function to clear your stomach, ui vanishing, and utter lack of healing options right now makes things rather tough going at the moment. though i do see the potential.
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Oh. I figured out why the UI vanishes. I have the Save and Load screens get rid of the UI for obvious reasons, but I somehow missed putting them BACK afterwards. At least if you click "Save Game" and then go back. Which happens a lot. I actually put the proper code in, but did something stupid to make it not actually work properly.

Though the "go back inside" being missing should not actually be possible. Maybe you got lost? If you are actually just outside your lair, there should be an "L" on the top hexagon of the map.

Anyway, yeah, the waiting function really needs to be my next priority. Not just a "rest" function for the lair, but the ability to wait for an hour in the specific area. So if you just want to grind instead of exploring, that is an option too.

While I do not plan on adding healing items (or at least keeping them extremely rare), here are some tips on how not to die. First, stay full and don't overuse your magic. Magic takes directly from you food pool, and if you are sure that you will have plenty of food, if you don't need much healing, or you have specialized your leveling to make breath attacks cost less, it becomes less of an issue, but breath attacks in general are more effective (and do half damage on a miss) for a cost.

Also, if you are level 1, don't be afraid to run away. A big tip is that choosing "Defend" not only halves enemy damage (if they hit you), but next turn, your chances at successfully running away will be doubled. Just like you have advantage on strength checks against someone trying to escape your belly.

When I do add that rest function, I will not give you any "cheat healing" - you will only heal for as long as you have enough in your belly to sustain healing. Sleeping will still be a slight advantage of just running around, but it won't be a full heal like in most RPGs. At the same time, I want this to be realistic but fun. If something is overly frustrating (and I'm not already working on a way to fix it), I want you to tell me that. I want this to be challenging, but I don't want people to quit out of frustration.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 pm

Good news: I've programmed a rest function that gives bonus healing when resting in the cave provided you have enough food.

Bad news: I'm in the middle of programming the dialogue trees for the companion.

So either you get an update with a good quality of life update but the potential to get randomly stuck, or you have to wait a few more days.

What do people think?
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby Snorlaxkid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 pm

Better to wait.
Snorlaxkid
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:38 am

I don't understand myself. I'm primarily a writer and not exactly experienced with coding, but somehow, the code gets done in about three seconds and the writing takes ages.

I'm exaggerating of course, but seriously. I finished a system that lets you rest for up to 24 hours, and gives bonuses over the already present natural healing system, and includes an actual live status bar countdown Skyrim-style, but somehow it's the dialogue that's delaying this next update.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby Revx_Z » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:47 pm

You find a pony that seems to be researching the area. They look at you nervously, waiting to see if you are hostile.

- Attack.

:lol: Hard to be anything other than hostile.

Also, seems hard to recover HP.

Have you considered looking over at The Howling and asking ouphe for some advice getting started?
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Revx_Z wrote: :lol: Hard to be anything other than hostile.

Also, seems hard to recover HP.

Have you considered looking over at The Howling and asking ouphe for some advice getting started?

The Howling is actually my inspiration, and basically let me know that Twine was a thing that existed. Ouphe let me use his save/load system, which is not a default behavior of Twine. (But most systems I developed from scratch for my own purposes, because a lot of his systems have limitations that wouldn't work for what I have in mind specifically.)

Anyway, it is easy to not attack. Just don't. You can freely move away from the area. If you come across a hostile mob, you will know, since you will be sent straight into battle. Since random encounters are, well, random, I haven't programmed any dialogue into non-hostile ones yet. I might in the future, since randomized dialogue is possible, but it's not a priority of mine right now.

But you are correct that it is hard to regain HP. The game, as it is right now, is extremely barebones. I just posted once I got the bare minimum systems together. The Howling is much more comprehensive, if you are just looking for some fun and not as interested in bugfixing or guiding the development of this game specifically.

The update I'm currently working on has a rest system inside your lair, a good way to recover HP at the cost of some food and a bit of time. As well as a way to just wait in the same area for an hour to heal without having to move a tile over. Unfortunately, that update is being held up because I only started development on that system after I already started work on the companion dialogue, and getting her to be less annoying. Which, as anyone experienced in video development can tell you, getting any sort of nuanced dialogue is a pain, and that pain is multiplied the more states they can have. The companion has seven base states, with seven more states that would be affected by a certain event, seven more states for initial conversations....

Yeah, it might be a bit longer.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 pm

I will say that I've definitely gotten a lot of work in, and I'm about halfway to three-quarters of the way there.

(Basically, while what I've done is ambitious, I haven't bit off more than I can chew. I only need to get the basic dialogue there, and can always add more depth later.)
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:43 pm

Harlowe is sometimes really, really stupid.

Okay, so adding false and false together gets 0, because at the core, true is 1 and false is 0.

But for some reason, asking if false+false+false is false, Harlowe suddenly says that false is a different data type than 0. Because false+false+false is 0, but false by itself is something ENTIRELY different.

Oh, and asking if false+false+false is 0 also results in the same error for some reason.

Seriously, what is your problem, Harlowe?

(It was an easy fix, it's just annoying.)
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby Kreate48 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:04 am

Seems interesting, a bit difficult to do much at the moment with lack of healing though. Would also be nice if you could see how much mana you have. Great work
Kreate48
New to the forum

Re: Scales and Wings 0.4.4.1 (abandoned - see top post)

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 pm

Sorry everyone. I do plan on still making games, but Harlowe just has too many issues.
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Re: Scales and Wings 0.4.4.1 (abandoned - see top post)

Postby Akai24 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:38 pm

Hello dear developer of game Scales and Wings!
I saw that you have problems with accidentally disk formatting
I had the accidents like that and restored my 160 GB drive
I even tried to experiment with twice formatted 1TB drive and everything has been restored
Akai24
New to the forum

Return to Vore game