The Howling (Twine) V00014B (31Dec2020)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: The Howling (Twine) V00011 (20Oct2019)

Postby GrayLotus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:23 am

I like the new content (As per usual)!
The stew quest was fairly entertaining for me, with my character getting increasingly annoyed with those two taciturn idiots. I was quite enjoying it :-D

And, I have found a bug! It seems like the new system for finishing digestion, when it triggers, does not actually set the monster as being digested. So I only get the follow-up scene acting as if they were defeated, not eaten. I noticed it with Heather, and tested it on one of the bounty hunters afterward, and got the same result.

It's also quite nice getting an opportunity to trigger the boss fights on my own time now, especially since I'm a bit of a completionist (I must get all the post-fight dialogue from Morgana!). It's an appreciated bit of convenience.
GrayLotus
Somewhat familiar

Postby Dragonvorelover135 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 am

What's your plan for how monsters/creatures that can devour the player will be implemented/encountered? Mainly just curious since the game is really coming along well. Especially the battle mechanics and such.

I wanted to suggest the possibility to have creatures/monsters added into the search/hunt random encounters through a toggle in the lair. As that would allow people to easily turn them off before starting or when loading a new save if/when they do get implemented.
Dragonvorelover135
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Revx_Z » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 am

Minor niggle: Disposal scene is still called "Fertilize the fields" and mentions a nearby tree even if you're lost in the cave.
Arena Gladiator has description "He earned their title..."
"Visions of beating someone to death with their own skull flicker across your vision." , lol, those two. The Dexterity is appreciated.
Bringing over a save from previous version has apparently let me fight Heather twice.

Can you make the ogre rape-able for high enough Strength values?
When do I get the ability to kill Morgana back? Still can't attack her after fighting Heather and getting 9 memory scraps.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ouphe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:43 pm

When I get home today I'll look at the digestion not counting on victory, should be a quick fix.

Predatory monsters are going to be implemented during chapter 3. I'm still working on the system since it's more than just a reverse of the player pred system. I'm not going to toggle lock them, since I want the creatures part of the normal game progression and like Heather, I want beasts to get scarier as you progress.

Disposal is a placeholder right now, I'll play with it a bit more to fix the cave trees.

Gladiator, acknowledged.

Unless more bugs crop up regarding multi-Heathers, I can probably just class it as a hiccup between versions.

Yeah, I'll give some of the bigger beasts a gender so you can play with em if you can grab em.

Morgana's turning into a major plot person, so I'm planning on making her immortal at least until (partway through? end of?) chapter 4. There is going to be other stuff you can do with her though, if you still want to make the poor huntress suffer.
ouphe
Participator

Postby No-One » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Question: Tanya ran away when I brought her back to the lair. I assume I should have done something, somehow, to keep her there. Is it possible to find her again? I've been searching without luck.
No-One
Participator

Postby ouphe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 am

Right now Tanya escaping results in her being gone. To keep her in her place, you need to get an item from some shady people in the woods.
ouphe
Participator

Postby vgove » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:58 pm

why can the player not be female
vgove
Participator

Postby Revx_Z » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:56 am

vgove wrote:why can the player not be female

Mod it in yourself and find out how much work it is.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ouphe » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 pm

I wanted to apologize for the lack of updates, busy with work and issues getting the player prey to feel... right. Balancing things is such a bitch. I'm probably going to sidestep it for the time being (sorry!) so I can at least work on finishing up chapter 3 and 4 for the sake of plot.
ouphe
Participator

Postby BrokenButterfly45 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 am

Slight error I found. After clearing out the bandit camp, then doing the same for the elven village, my journal now says "I should report my success to Reethin." even though Reethin's... dead. I didn't accept his quest when I first talked to him, either.
BrokenButterfly45
Somewhat familiar

Postby Phavore » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:11 am

I just discovered this and am having a ton of fun. A couple things I noticed:

- If you try to eat the farmer's daughter after taking her back to the lair, it doesn't work properly. I get this error message: "(set:)'s 1st value is the boolean value 'false', but should be a 'to' or 'into' expression.►" and am then taken back to the main lair menu like nothing happened.

- The ending to Heather's fight was extremely jarring for me. Due to her difficulty, I was determined to make her suffer and thus digested her completely while she still had a lot of health. And when it was over...oh, I guess she's not dead? If you need to keep her around for story purposes, I suggest making it impossible to eat her in this encounter. If that just means we get another chance later in the game, awesome. It'll be even more satisfying. :twisted: For that matter, as difficult as the fight is, I liked there was a twist to this battle that required you to alter your tactics. I'd love to see more fights like this.

I'm really enjoying this. I see its been a while since the last update, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for making this!
Phavore
New to the forum

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:23 pm

I really like this, and it makes me hopeful that I can find other text-based games I like. Descriptive enough to paint the correct pictures, while simple enough for people to easily fill stuff in with imagination.

I had stayed away from text based games for a long time, not necessarily because of the "no graphics" thing. That's almost a good thing for me, who often prefers text to visual media in story-based settings. It was because almost every instance of something sexual I have ever read, especially in second person, was god awful and did not do much for immersion at all. First rule - you do NOT assume the player's current level of arousal. Only hint at things, to reduce any possible cognitive dissonance.

The same problem happaned with some vore content in, say a dialogue expansion for the Skyrim mod Devourment (I had to patch the dialogue trees myself to use it in my game.) It was less of an immersion thing and more of a "this person is clearly not a writer" thing.

But for this, I was pleasantly surprised.

Not only that, but this game, though still clearly unfinished, doesn't lock you into a certain role. It actually is a role playing game, and I love that.

Good job, and good luck. I'll definitely be watching this for updates. (And you might have just inspired me to make my own unrelated text-based game.)
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby ouphe » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am

Hello everybody. So, lots of assorted things occurring in life as to why this project had to get shelved for about a year, but I would like to say thank you for still poking at it. I have actually been able to start sitting down and working on the program once more, which means updates will actually start to show up again!

Phavore, I am not sure where the error is with the farmer's daughter yet, but will continue to try to recreate it so I can squash that. I also made a few edits in the post-battle scenario with Heather, as the female who shows up there is Red, not Heather, but I realized I had forgotten to acknowledge that with a proper noun. Heather is quite thoroughly wolf pudge in your story line, and that is how she will remain. My apologies for not having the clarification during that scene.

CrusaderSweetie, Thank you for the encouraging words. I am glad I was able to meet your expectations and provide a better bar for other text-based games. I have had similar issues in the past with other games and that was in turn what led my own dabbling with Twine to eventual turn into an actual game. I also wanted to make a game where I could claim it to be a game that had fetish content in it, because it is much more enjoyable to me when truly immersed in the game. If you can sit down and just enjoy playing the game, then that makes it a good game. Good luck with your own game as well! It's lots of fun to play with the programming codes and see how it all works... or how it doesn't when you miss a single close-parentheses and the entire thing errors out...
ouphe
Participator

Re: The Howling (Twine) V00012 (9Nov2020)

Postby ouphe » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:06 pm

So I'm currently working on V00013, but one of the things I've been curious about is how everyone actually is playing the game so I know what I should be focusing on for the rest of chapter 3 + 4.
What do y'all enjoy, what do you want more of, what are you skipping past, all that sort of stuff.
Responses here or PM'd to me would be greatly appreciated!
ouphe
Participator

Postby CastleCrashing » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:38 am

ouphe wrote:So I'm currently working on V00013, but one of the things I've been curious about is how everyone actually is playing the game so I know what I should be focusing on for the rest of chapter 3 + 4.
What do y'all enjoy, what do you want more of, what are you skipping past, all that sort of stuff.

Personally, I find the only thing I really skipped was the cave, outside of the quest related to it, and the guard house areas. If I didn't visit something else, that was mostly because it simply wasn't done yet. As for what I want more of, the answer to me is more interactions with Tanya and Emma, and perhaps more women to the proverbial harem we seem to have going on? The Elf Queen could be an interesting addition to that, given she doesn't really seem to have much impact outside of her couple quests. Or maybe even the Farmer's wife, funnily enough.
CastleCrashing
New to the forum

Postby BrokenButterfly45 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:01 am

ouphe wrote:So I'm currently working on V00013, but one of the things I've been curious about is how everyone actually is playing the game so I know what I should be focusing on for the rest of chapter 3 + 4.

Since this is a vore game, I tend to prefer just going straight into eating vs just fighting people -- especially because healing is pretty annoying. Also the struggles to actually eat sometimes lead to early fights taking five minutes of grab -> devour -> fail -> repeat, so maybe a way to increase our vore chance?

I think doing more with pregnancy and allowing more into your harem would be great, and getting some male options into the harem would be nice as well.

Also, maybe a "clean disposal" option, if possible? I can't stand scat so I just skip that, but I like bones, so a way to be able to just pass those alone would be pretty nice.

That's all I can think of right now.
BrokenButterfly45
Somewhat familiar

Postby Dragonvorelover135 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:24 am

I'm mostly waiting on the optional prey content to be added. The game is pretty well done and I have played through it, I just personally enjoy the prey role in games.
Dragonvorelover135
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CrusaderSweetie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm

First off, my own attempt at Twine development unexpectedly was way more successful than I anticipated. Apparently, Twine provides just enough compartmentalization of code where I really just don't get frustrated as often as I normally would when things go wrong.

I used your story to figure out certain things (like how to replace the side banner with something actually useful), and at first, your "back" button was one of those things, but after more experience (and lots of wiki searching, as I didn't want to actually copy your systems, as that would teach me nothing), I came across something that would get rid of that button's one irritating limitation. (That it would revert all changes, not just go to the previous passage.)

So if you are interested, here's what I came up with.

For the basic usage, going back one page at a time, without any specific fancy stuff, you put this line of code somewhere in a header passage: (set: $history to (history:)) - $history is just the example variable to store the information in, (history:) is a built-in array in Twine that keeps track of the passages you were in last. (It doesn't include the one you are in now.)

After that is set up, this is what the back button looks like: (link: "Back")[(go-to: last of $history)] "last of $history" gets you the previous passage. You can do other stuff, like 2ndlast, etc, but that's the basic usage.

Now, the limitation of this particular use is that Twine's (history:) array keeps duplicate passages. Which means if you go from [[passage]] to [[passage]] again (to refresh variables, for example - my battle system is pretty much a single passage that reloads each turn), the back button no longer works properly.

But that's where the second application comes in - you have a constantly updating $history variable (or don't, if you don't plan on using the normal kind of back button), but you can choose when you update a second variable

So for example, in my battle system, I have an initialization section of code that only runs once, using $combatstart to determine whether it will run (and setting it to false after it runs). So in that section, I set a second variable, $preservedhistory (I'm not creative with variable names) to the (history:) array, and then at the end of combat, my link says (link: "Continue")[(go-to: last of $preservedhistory)].

Well anyway, I don't know how useful that will be to you, but for me, it was an absolute lifesaver. (Considering I had entirely forgotten about the problem before I wrote three quarters of my combat system and realized I was probably screwed.)

...By the way, do you mind if I steal the mechanics for your save and load system for my own game? I don't like Twine's copout system of "just store it in the browser data and everything will be fine."
CrusaderSweetie
Been posting for a bit

Postby ouphe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:39 pm

CrusaderSweetie, That's fine, I'm glad that my game is providing as much help as it is. My own experience was a blend of trial+error and some of Wape's Incubus City game. Figuring out that save code was a solution to the memory storage errors that were happening due to all the variables, and when I figured out the code sequence to get that to work correctly back and forth was probably one of my favorite breakthroughs in the entire process of writing. It also means you can share the code with others or edit it to stay current despite game updates.
I tried to find some other ways of playing with the go-back-a-page thing, and the history variable seems like that will work nicely as well, but that's also why I tried to style combat so it hides the sidebar and ensures you can't use that refreshed page trick in most situations.
It's a fun programming shell :)
ouphe
Participator

Postby Entirely_Logical » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 pm

The stat imbalance on getting out of the first few levels is... somewhat astounding, particularly since you find yourself having to fight your way to notoriety and particularly when Hunters start showing up; You end up having a mountain of strength, so much that no foe would feasibly be able to escape while also not having enough Dex to reliably hit said foe, leading to long combats that amount to rolling on the floor trying to get one's mouth around a foe with neither able to hit the other.
Entirely_Logical
Somewhat familiar

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game