Moderator: Duamutef

Re: VRPG (exe) Modded - a WinVista/7 compatible version

Postby Pinhead2212 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:45 am

Holy hell, yes!
Pinhead2212
Participator

Postby NekoYuki » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:26 pm

looking good Massive. if oyu need any help writing scenes i can do that. not too good with Daumutef's code, as its hard. but i can certainly do dialog that you can add XD
Ask to see my various OC and world setting
NekoYuki
???

Postby Skittles209 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 pm

My computer keeps telling me I am getting a virus. 32gen detected. It flashed the bottom of my screen before disappearing. Should I be worried?
Skittles209
Participator

Postby NekoYuki » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:05 am

no, no. It's jsut the fact this is an Exe folder. lots of anti viruses treat em like something harmful, especially if they're not commonly downloaded ones
Ask to see my various OC and world setting
NekoYuki
???

Postby K_K » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:25 am

It is working for me but I seems to have loading issues it doesn't let me load a save in the middle of the game I have to shut it down then reboot it to load a saved game, it also seems that none of the worm enemies are actually there own models for me just a image of a iron flail cut in half
K_K
New to the forum

Postby Revx_Z » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 am

GAME COMPLETE!

I have played through the 2.14 version (last change posted: 2013-05-23) currently hanging at the start of this thread.
Yes, I've been slow and doing a lot of other things, shush you, I'm not a professional tester and this is not my job. :wink: But I did take a lot of notes and pictures along the way, showing things that went wrong and how to repeat them.

We'll start with the Item Duplication.
d_duplicate.png

Drop an item on the ground (near a city portal gem makes this convenient).
Save game. Exit game. Load game.
Use city portal gem, or some other means of entering the map anew.
Pick up item. Use city portal gem. Item is on ground as well as your inventory!

Variant: Enter a new map. Drop item. Leave map. Reenter map. Pick up item. Leave map. Reenter map. Pick up item again!
I used this to great effect to duplicate a Gastro Rune (+4 giant stomach, +1 gluttony) that I put on all my gear. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: Nom, also +10 strength and +10 dexterity jewels, allowing me to beat the game at the unusually low level of 44. (I entered Thirsha's lair at 41, and levelled up several times while in there.)

Speaking of beating the game, there's a small bug in the victory text:
d_intimite.png
d_intimite.png (10.32 KiB) Viewed 21647 times

This should read "an intimate encounter".
There's also a larger bug in the victory:
d_victory.png

Run-time error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument.

A similar bug was encountered upon trying to visit the Worm Cave that holds Gargmaw and one of Thirsha's keys:
d_pathfileaccess.png

Run-time error 75: Path/File access error.
I circumvented this error by copying Wormcave.txt from an older version of the game into the folder and double-pasting it as Wormcave.txt and VTDataWormcave.txt so the game could find what it wanted.

There are also some missing monster graphics: Giant worms in the Worm Cave and black wyverns in Thirsha's Lair both appear as part of a flail/mace weapon.
d_wyvern.png

Here you see one half of a weapon. When attacking, they show the other half.

Some of the bugs I encountered are arguably of the 'TDDT' type:
d_rune.png
Rune added to itself
d_rune.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 21647 times

'TDDT' is from a joke where a patient does something stupid, says "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." and the doctor says "Well, then don't do that." In this case, I lose a rune when I try to add a rune to itself, and I shouldn't do that. It would be nice if the game wouldn't eat my rune for a misclick, though.

Another rune bug, however, isn't the fault of my misclicking, but seems like there's a secret limit on how much buffs you can add to an item.
d_runelost.png
d_runelost.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 21647 times

Here I've tried to add the Diamond (+4 str/+4 dex/+4 int) to the Bloodsteel Dagger, and the Diamond just disappeared. On another item, I've inserted a duplicated copy of the diamond only to find that the item got only +4 str and +4 dex, not the int, so I'm guessing that the game adds effects one by one until it hits the maximum number of effects an item can have.

Then there's Salyna, the jeweller NPC in the City of Angels.
d_salyna_request.png

Here you see me coming with a jewelling kit to deliver to Salyna and getting the regular conversation instead of the reward. Something's up with that quest. Something else is up with Salyna's conversation, too. When you say "Can't you do better than that?" in asking for a reward for getting her kit, she skips back to the start of the conversation. In the VTDataConversations file, I found this pointer to a missing branch, which seems to cause it:

#BRANCH, PAYMENT
#SAY, "I could give you 3000 gold for your trouble."
#CHOICE, "It's a deal.", FORYOU
#CHOICE, "Can't you do better than that?", BETTER
#EXIT, "(Leave)"

#BRANCH, JEWELQUESTIONS <-- I think this branch should be called BETTER.
#SAY, "I'm sorry. I've been out of business for weeks now, and that's all I could afford."
#ADDCHOICES, JEWELQUESTIONS

#BRANCH, FORYOU
#SAY, "Thank you! I hope you can find it...the glade has been overrun with sprites ever since I left."
#ADDCHOICES, JEWELQUESTIONS

#BRANCH, JEWELQUESTIONS
#SAY, "What would you like to know?"
#CHOICE, "What can you tell me about gems?", ABOUTGEMS
#CHOICE, "Where can I find gems?", FINDGEMS
CHOICE, "How do I use gems?", USEGEMS
#EXIT, "(Leave)"

Finally a minor nitpick: The "Triple Firebolt" spell appears to grow more firebolts as you level up. Here's a picture with 5 firebolts. This isn't mentioned anywhere. The Fireball spell has a description stating what radius it damages in, maybe the Triple Firebolt should have a description saying it gets more?
d_count_three.png

Tell me if you want my savefile and I'll post that, too.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Throku » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:23 am

For some reason I found my way back here in VRPG land and I sort of missed out on this new turn of events.

So how does this work?
Can I install this and still have my old version functioning properly elsewhere?
I'm asking since I'm weary of not having a functioning version as this game has a history of being lord of incompatibility. And I know it's supposed to handle mods a bit differently and really want to have a familiar set-up while I figure out a new one.

Also is the show still running? I notice that no one has replied to Revx_Z's post (massive27 in particular.)
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby massive27 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Hello there, sorry for no inputs about VRPG and bugtracking. Well, irl, y'know...

Throku wrote:So how does this work?
Can I install this and still have my old version functioning properly elsewhere?

The remade installer just puts both the original game file and the modded one. Most important thing is to add the "missing dll" under vista/7/8 . afterward it's a matter of choiceto launch the original or the modded game.

@Revx_Z bugtrack
Well, some fixes are required ^^ the runtime error 5 and so on...
And yes, there is some limits on how much effects you can add on one item, so some "bugs" are actually "feature" ;) -- read : laziness to fix it.

@K_K
The game is so much complicated that it doesnt unload (cleanup) memory nice enough to allow a clean saves loaded in the middle of the game.

About the worm gfx, in fact many bugs you've encountered are related to the new Data.pak provided. For some reason it is partly unreadable... please get the original data.pak file (23MB instead of 25MB) and many giltch will be fixed...

@Skittles209
NekoYuki answered you, there is no virus inside, it is just "paranoid mode" of antivir software that dont like uncommon exe files. Since i dont work for security software company, why should i bother making virus ;)

@Psycho_wolvesbane
It works under win7 64bits, that's what i have currently... you need administrator rights to install it, and/or a non-intrusive antivirus software though!

I'm embarassed that the "released" modded game have so many glitches, I'm very sorry about that. I most probably will have to redo the whole installer with a non-fscked game file (altough for the corrupted data.pak, i can't do much... or i must code a whole new data.pak system, maybe using zip compression ...)

side story: my irl include playing EVE online. 1 week ago, i just crossed a player called Duamutef Un . shall i dare asking him if "vrpg" rings a bell ^^ I doubt there is many people using horus' son name as a nickname so, who knows...
Don't get fooled, I'm the croc in my avatar >)
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Throku » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 am

shall i dare asking him if "vrpg" rings a bell

Please do ;)

(I'll get back to the rest when I can. :P )
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby klonoa723 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:23 am

Is there any cheat or way to let yourself be swallowed by a monster withouth having to wait for it to do it?
Cuz' I'm more insterested in letting myself get eaten than saving the world :-D
Open for commissions: https://aryion.com/g4/view/479460
klonoa723
Somewhat familiar

Postby massive27 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 am

@kiona723 : be nacked and wounded (0 hp), the chance to get swallowed is very high in those conditions.
since you can't die in this game by "normal attack" (even at 0 hp you can move) , you'll always get swallowed anyway.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:26 pm

@ rexv Where do you find gastro runes? :3 they seem relevant to my interests~~
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby captamis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:45 pm

hi there
i recently instaled this rpg to work with windows 7 on laptop yet when get it to run and chose a class, then the stikes after that it says error 430 "class does not support automation or does not support expected interace

can anyone hlp me with this please
captamis
Somewhat familiar

Postby Midir » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 am

Repost from "VRPG Source Code?".

I have a question...whenever I start a new character with throku mod - it corrupts the saves and I am not able to LOAD the character again properly. I am using windows 7 x64 and normal mod does work correctly. Can someone suggest me what's wrong? Throku mod does seem to be pretty awesome after all!

The error which I receive while loading:

Error in Getfile function while attempting to unpack
.\throkuchanges2\Data\VRPGData.dat from curgame.dat
Application Path is E:\VRPG
Pak file was found, but internal file could not be accessed.
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby massive27 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 pm

@Midir : This very error message shouldnt exists if you use the modded version and not the original one. This is quite weird and hard to fix.

Many of error i see above are due to the MPQ stuff, which handle both the savegames and the resources (data.pak). I'm working on a complete new way to handle those both.
The goal is to get rid of the MPQ stuff (including ocx), having reliable savegame, and a safer mod support. It's easier than fixing MPQ :D

I'll also use github for update and release : https://github.com/massive27/VRPG (altough git is not very newcomer-friendly)
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Midir » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Oh ok I will check it out~
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby massive27 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:10 am

I now understand how you get that error message, Midir.
I'm on my way to release a version fixing it, your savegame will most probably work afterward.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby massive27 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 am

Try this new gamefile (you should rename it to replace the one you currently have)
https://github.com/massive27/VRPG/blob/ ... -09-06.exe
click "view the full file" to download
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby GentlemanInShakeskin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Not sure how many people have told you this massive27 but my god youve made my day!

Means I can resume the work on my dear friends mod for this "Shadownaga version", ofcourse name will be changed but meh, more for vore!! :-D
GentlemanInShakeskin
Been posting for a bit

Postby Psycho_wolvesbane » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Can you tell me what development environment you are using to compile the master build, is it plain Visual Basic 6.0 or something else?
Psycho_wolvesbane
Participator

PreviousNext

Return to Duamutef's Dimension