GURPS Ishara User-made Worldbook

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

GURPS Ishara User-made Worldbook

Postby Cowrie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:11 am

Okay, I'm in the process of creating a fan-made GURPS (Generic Universal Role-Playing System) expansion, specifically a world-book for Ishara, that has mechanics for vore, species found in Ishara, and many new advantages, not all of which are actually vore-related. The vore-related bits, however, could easily be used or modified for different settings, though Ishara itself provides many options for such things. Once it's complete, I intend to make a PDF of it available for free here at Eka's. I'll also probably make a public RP using the system with me as GM.

This thread is for suggestions, discussion and anything else related to the project. I'll also be using it to get opinions on things I'm having trouble designing or think other people's ideas could be helpful for. I plan on putting the vore mechanics up here sometime before I create the full PDF to see what everyone else thinks of how I'm handling it, but for now, there's something I can't decide on period that I need help with.

At the moment, I'm working on designing a template for blade (ivy) angels. The sympathetic steel transformation for the skin was easy enough to design with metal-limited DR, but I'm not quite sure how to convey the steel skeletal transformation. It seems like it would be either an affliction with an "only on self" accessibility limitation or an alternate form, but in either case I'm not sure what sort of changes the steel skeleton would cause besides weighing more, being unable to fly, being somewhat slower and having harder to break bones. So, what do you think?

Besides that, what do you think of the project in general? Great idea? Stupid? Tell the truth!

P.S. - I'm not one hundred percent certain this is the right spot for this thread. It seemed appropriate since it involves Ishara, but there are some other forums that may have been a better choice. So, please move if it's in the wrong spot.
I am open for art commissions or trades! See here for details.
Cowrie
???

Re: GURPS Ishara User-made Worldbook

Postby sansuki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 am

First off- a good idea! I have been GMing and playing GURPS for the better part of a decade, and Over The Years (tm) have come up with my own occasional kludges for various monsters to be appropriate threats to adventurers. :gulp: And, as might possibly be obvious from the fact that I wrote a freakin' novel about Ishara, I love the setting. So...

At the moment, I'm working on designing a template for blade (ivy) angels. The sympathetic steel transformation for the skin was easy enough to design with metal-limited DR, but I'm not quite sure how to convey the steel skeletal transformation. It seems like it would be either an affliction with an "only on self" accessibility limitation or an alternate form, but in either case I'm not sure what sort of changes the steel skeleton would cause besides weighing more, being unable to fly, being somewhat slower and having harder to break bones. So, what do you think?

Broad picture, just make the entire thing a power a la GURPS Powers and bundle a package of ads/disads together with a bow; incidentally if you haven't been using Powers you need to because it's a fantastic book for high powered GURPS work. Notably, GURPS Powers, p.52-53 covers metal bones precisely with the Unbreakable Bones power; it basically just doubles the damage required to cripple [cost: 10 CP]. Additionally I would toss in some extra Lifting ST (say 2 points) to compensate for the loss of movement (but please not basic speed) and temporary disadvantage removing Flight.

Incidentally, GURPS Martial Arts has a package of rules relating to biting, and what size difference is necessary to be able to do what;
relevantly, (p. 115)
Your SM exceeds your victim’s by +3 or more. Your maw
can engulf his entire head or torso. This allows you to
attack, worry at, and cripple any body part. If you bite and
grapple the torso, you can attempt a pin on a standing
foe. Success means he’s trapped helplessly in your jaws!

And, since those kinds of size differences are pretty difficult to get to, just about every Isharan creature would have this 0-point feature that is in the same sidebar,

Born Biters: Some creatures have elongated jaws built
for biting – a zero-cost racial feature. They get +1 to +3 to
effective SM only to determine how they bite. Apply the
same bonus to rolls to hit their jaw or nose. A SM 0 rep-
tile man with +3 SM for biting would bite as if he had SM
+3, but enemies would target his jaw at only -3, his nose
at -4.

For an Isharan, I'd alter it by making it a mere perk (don't want to make it too big or it'll be just CP inflation since almost everything has it) and removing the bonus to hit their jaw.

My own houseruled sequence when I had adventurers fight a rather hungry monster was that the sequence went like this:
-First round: monster attacks with a biting attack intending to grapple the torso and succeeds a la the rules above, dealing bite damage;
-Second round: monster pins and has the adventurer in its mouth;
-Third round: A second pin maneuver begins swallowing the adventurer and deals thrust ST crushing damage (throat contractions)
-Fourth round: Final pin maneuver swallows the adventurer, again thrust ST cr damage
-Fifth round and all subsequent rounds: adventurer takes 1d-1 corrosion damage per Campaigns, affecting armor as per Characters (with my own houserules for sealed/allover/tough skin DR affecting corrosive damage etc.)

Adventurers could basically 'back up' a round with a successful quick contest of strength/grappling/escape artist skills like that for escaping from a pin. Kind of cumbersome, but boy howdy players get mighty skittish when their big damage dealer's legs are dangling out of a giant worm's mouth...

Final note, though it's not really relevant to Ishara, but I have seen a character fluffed as having soul-vore like abilities where she could drain life energy at a touch;

Spoiler: show
Leech 3 FP/second (Linked +10%; Contact agent -30%; Drains FP (and then HP once FP s 0) +50%, Heals FP only -20%, Symptoms(Ecstasy) at 2/3 FP drained +100%, Psionic -10%, Only usable on living creatures -20%) [45]
Linked: Leech 1 ST/second (Linked +10%, Contact agent -30%, Drains ST +100%, Accelerated Healing 1 HP per ST +25%, Psionic -10%, Only usable on living creatures -20%) [44]

The basic mechanics are if she touched someone with hostile intent, they would start losing FP and ST, with those healing her own FP and HP respectively; once the victim lost 2/3 of their FP (which usually only took 3-4 seconds) they would be helpless with ecstasy to resist any more. She was kind of broken. For Ishara, anyway, the Leech advantage in Powers is pretty handy!

Also this also should probably be cross-posted into another forum, or at least a post in a relevant tabletop games thread (I know I've seen one around somewhere) pointing to this thread in case people miss it on the front page.
sansuki
---

Postby Cowrie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:49 am

I do have Powers, so thanks for the suggestion of wrapping it all up into one power, and for reminding me about the unbreakable bones one; I hadn't thought of either. The lifting ST idea is good, too.

Seeing as I don't have Martial Arts, I didn't know about those biting rules, but that seems like the least cumbersome method would be to mix the official biting rules with some of the stuff I had. It would go the same as your house rules for the first two rounds, but there would be only one turn for swallowing before the prey reached the stomach.
Cowrie
???

Postby sansuki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 am

Cowrie wrote:I do have Powers, so thanks for the suggestion of wrapping it all up into one power, and for reminding me about the unbreakable bones one; I hadn't thought of either. The lifting ST idea is good, too.

Seeing as I don't have Martial Arts, I didn't know about those biting rules, but that seems like the least cumbersome method would be to mix the official biting rules with some of the stuff I had. It would go the same as your house rules for the first two rounds, but there would be only one turn for swallowing before the prey reached the stomach.

Fair enough; Martial Arts has a *lot* of combat stuff that Campaigns just doesn't cover. I have mixed feelings about it since it's the closest to a D&D style 'upgrade splat'; for chrissakes there are even TL3 dueling swords in it- but Born Biter is just plain *handy*. As for the two rounds; I wanted more ability to struggle back for the game I was running at the time is mostly why I did that.
sansuki
---

Postby Cowrie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Okay, I made a mistake due to different catagorization of steps. My system will have the same number of steps, after all.
Cowrie
???

Postby sansuki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:59 pm

One question that comes to mind is, how are you going to handle Ishara's weirdness with damage? Unkillable has to be part of the answer, but 1 or 2? If it's 1, then what, are people just going to have massive regeneration triggered by being low and HP and some regen always? (Ishara's kind of inconsistent on this, but killing someone without eating them is either impossible or ludicrously difficult.) If 2 makes sense, then what the heck is the achilles heel that lets people die instead of being objectively impossible? It's kind of a twisty circumstance, and it's not made any easier by Injury Tolerance being a little squirrelly and not strongly applicable.
sansuki
---

Postby Cowrie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, first of all, that's only really 100% true of the Girl races, any other sort of creature will eventually die from damage. The exact situation varies between archetypes, so I'll be handling it on an archetype-by-archetype basis.
For Girl races, which which are fairly consistently impossible to kill without eating them, but will faint after a certain point, I'm using Unkillable 2 with digestion as an Achilles heel.
Next most sturdy are Demons, which I'm covering with Unkillable 1 with Very Fast Regeneration with an accessibility limitation making the latter useless in digestive tracts.
Angels and Fae are both more fragile, so neither of them get any level of Unkillable. Rather, Angels get fifteen levels of hard to kill as well as Moderate Regeneration with the afore-mentioned limitation, while Fae get ten levels of hard to kill with Fast Regeneration, again with the acessibility limitation.
Greater Monsters are easier still to kill, so they get only three levels of hard to kill and Moderate Regeneration. (Do I even have to mention it doesn't work in digestive tracts?)
Finally, Lesser Beasts are pitifully easy to kill and merely have Slow Regeneration.
In hindsight, perhaps Girls should have some level of regeneration as well, but that seems to limit possibility of fainting to me. All in all, Not perfect, but probably the best possible solution.
Cowrie
???

Postby sansuki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Cowrie wrote:Well, first of all, that's only really 100% true of the Girl races, any other sort of creature will eventually die from damage. The exact situation varies between archetypes, so I'll be handling it on an archetype-by-archetype basis.
For Girl races, which which are fairly consistently impossible to kill without eating them, but will faint after a certain point, I'm using Unkillable 2 with digestion as an Achilles heel.
Next most sturdy are Demons, which I'm covering with Unkillable 1 with Very Fast Regeneration with an accessibility limitation making the latter useless in digestive tracts.
Angels and Fae are both more fragile, so neither of them get any level of Unkillable. Rather, Angels get fifteen levels of hard to kill as well as Moderate Regeneration with the afore-mentioned limitation, while Fae get ten levels of hard to kill with Fast Regeneration, again with the acessibility limitation.
Greater Monsters are easier still to kill, so they get only three levels of hard to kill and Moderate Regeneration. (Do I even have to mention it doesn't work in digestive tracts?)
Finally, Lesser Beasts are pitifully easy to kill and merely have Slow Regeneration.
In hindsight, perhaps Girls should have some level of regeneration as well, but that seems to limit possibility of fainting to me. All in all, Not perfect, but probably the best possible solution.

Those all look like fair possibilities, but I wouldn't be too worried about the possibility of fainting. I mean, as soon as they go under 0 HP they're going to be running some risk ~10-50% depending on build of passing out, and they'll stay unconscious past that. I mean, most girls don't have such hugenormous levels of regen that they're healing sword wounds as they happen; it takes some time. Even at the fairly aggressive 1 HP/minute level, someone who puts a girl down is going to have more than enough time to make sure they only wake up wrapped in a stomach; though that does raise the sticky mechanical question of how they wake up inside a stomach (as happens often in the fluff)? May be worth it to slash the corrosion damage across the board pretty dramatically.
sansuki
---

Postby Houyo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:27 am

I love vore game talk... But unfortunately, I have no experience worth mentioning to help contribute.
Houyo
???

Postby Cowrie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:35 pm

By slash across the board, you mean slowing down how fast it occurs, correct? I've never heard that term before, but that seems to be what you mean. If so, I was already planning on that.
Cowrie
???

Postby Revx_Z » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:23 am

sansuki wrote:Even at the fairly aggressive 1 HP/minute level, someone who puts a girl down is going to have more than enough time to make sure they only wake up wrapped in a stomach; though that does raise the sticky mechanical question of how they wake up inside a stomach (as happens often in the fluff)? May be worth it to slash the corrosion damage across the board pretty dramatically.

I had an insight on this recently: Almost no role-playing games that I've played have rules which distinguish between hitting people to knock them out and hitting people awake.

To match this bit of fluff more, I'd want to split the health track into a "damage" track and a "stun" track. Default attacks drag people down on both. But: An attack that's particularly painful compared to how damaging it is (such as slapping people, and more relevantly, acid burns to skin) may inflict little or no damage while reducing the target's stun.

In normal games, hitting unconscious people just makes them get even more unconscious, because they've taken even more damage compared to their health, and (damage > health) is a fairly simple rule for determining unconsciousness. With a split health track, it might be possible to slap people awake.

Does this make any sense?
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Cowrie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:08 pm

It makes sense in theory, but I don't think it translates particularly well into GURPS terms. I like the idea, but the system of damage and such is already rather complex in GURPS. For one thing, there's Health and then there's Hit Points; HP track damage, but rolls to stay conscious/alive after you're damaged to a certain extent are against Health.
Cowrie
???

Postby Sydney » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 pm

After a bit of digging, I now know what Ishara is. So is this sourcebook going to be all female like the game seems to be?
Sydney
Somewhat familiar

Postby Cowrie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, that was the plan. Technically, there's no such thing as gender in ishara, though; that much was said by Duamutef on his website.
Cowrie
???

Postby Sydney » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Cowrie wrote:Yes, that was the plan. Technically, there's no such thing as gender in ishara, though; that much was said by Duamutef on his website.

Since you said you're looking for suggestions, then I would suggest not doing that in order to make your audience more broad and make your game more unique (since nearly every vore game is F/F). But if it's incompatible with the setting, then I'll just be going elsewhere.
Sydney
Somewhat familiar

Postby Cowrie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:20 pm

It's definitely incompatible with the setting.
Cowrie
???

Postby Cowrie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:12 pm

New issue: I want to include at least some setting info in the actual document, but I'm not sure how much that isn't absolutely vital to the game I should include, considering that the original website will likely be known and easily accessible to anyone who uses the expansion I'm making. There's also the danger of sort of copying what's written there. What to you all think?
Cowrie
???

Postby Delet932gdrgvi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:03 am

As for the getting knocked out/hitting/hp loss problem... when I've played GURPS with my group, we've just taken the HT roll option.
For example:
1) Character A gets knocked out in combat for reason X (poison, hp loss, etc.).
2) Character B gets an option to spend their combat turn by affecting cinematical damage to Character A. If B chooses to try and wake A up they can make a cinematical "attack", which deals no damage.
3) This in turn gives A a chance to roll a HT roll to try and redetermine the success of the action (GM may give out + or - depending on the damage and B's cinematical execution)
4) Character A returns to consiousness. Additional HT rolls may be needed for getting up, walking, fighting etc if A has taken too much damage.

When inside a belly, B could easily be replaced by corrosion damage/whatever and viola!

Males might be incompatible with the setting, but GURPS rules are fairly easy to modify - I see no reason why they couldn't be used for multible genders.

You could just have a link to the original page, maybe?
Delet932gdrgvi
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sansuki » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 am

Ack, I missed the thread updating! My bad. One thing, though, is... will Duam's webpage ever go down? Someone should probably mirror it offline if so, and count me in as "Include lots of setting info if possible" in your book. The really good GURPS Splatbooks (Black Ops, Alpha Centauri, Infinite Worlds...) have tons of setting info in them because they're intended as one stop shops for games using them. This philosophy strikes me as wise.
sansuki
---

Postby Imrhys » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:51 am

sansuki wrote:...though, is... will Duam's webpage ever go down? Someone should probably mirror it offline if so, and count me in as "Include lots of setting info if possible" in your book...

I read three years ago not long after his disappearance that the website is maintained by a very good RL friend of his and they are working to keep it up in his memory. I could be wrong, but that is the story I remember.
Imrhys
---

Return to Duamutef's Dimension