Fix for DMC2.ocx in VRPG for Vista

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

Re: Fix for DMC2.ocx in VRPG for Vista

Postby massive27 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello,

Actually there is another way to avoid the DMC2 error. I just tried it under win7 and it worked.
- copy DMC2.ocx in the game folder
- copy msvbvm50.dll in the game folder (it is a DMC2.ocx dependencie)
- launch the game ... it should go.
if it doesnt, find and copy also msvbvm60.dll in the game folder.
if it starts, but hangs or froze at the main screen, remove the file "bass.dll" which should be in game folder. You'll have an error msg but the game will work.
now I'll try to deal with the error 430. As said before, it sounds like an API compatibility issue. "430" error code mean "Class doesnt support OLE Automation", which mean we have to look for any hotfixes for OLE Automation under winvista/win7.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Erecant » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 pm

Wow massive, you've just gotten us a good bit along the way. I've reproduced your results. Got the game to run up to character creation's end. I need to test with an old save file from a previous comp, to see if loading works, but as it stands I run into the 430 wall, and wait anxiously to see if you're able to find a workaround.
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby slpowerhouse » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Firon wrote:I suppose an easier fix all together would be to go to the command prompt and type Format C:

vista is filled with problems and it's not worth the effort......either go back to XP or go with Win 7.....there's no point trying to bugfix a OS that isn't worth the time or effort

A few problems with that suggestion

1. can't get XP install disks anymore
2. Win 7 is just Vista with a face lift (see the fact that a person with Vista can just upgrade Vista to Win 7 with out removing Vista form the computer)
3. Formation of the C drive will delete all data on the computer, as I'm going for my bachelor's degree in computer science I can't afford that since my data is my life.
Never lose sight of the light that illuminates your path and you shall always find a glimmer of hope even in the darkest of hours
meet my dragon(s)
ImageImageImageImageImage
slpowerhouse
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lamnia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:05 am

slpowerhouse wrote:
Firon wrote:I suppose an easier fix all together would be to go to the command prompt and type Format C:

vista is filled with problems and it's not worth the effort......either go back to XP or go with Win 7.....there's no point trying to bugfix a OS that isn't worth the time or effort

A few problems with that suggestion

1. can't get XP install disks anymore
2. Win 7 is just Vista with a face lift (see the fact that a person with Vista can just upgrade Vista to Win 7 with out removing Vista form the computer)
3. Formation of the C drive will delete all data on the computer, as I'm going for my bachelor's degree in computer science I can't afford that since my data is my life.

Hehehe.... yeah Vista is Win7, but those who were sold on the idea Win7 is different won't believe ya no matter.
(some downgrading of security and a couple more gadgets or tweaks is all that Win7 is.)
Erecant wrote:The problem with virtualPC is you need a valid serial code for the OS you wish to run in the virtual box, so really it doesn't fix much.

Well being a techie I guess I have a few...
But once its image is created it can be burned to a CD or DVD...

Also a bootable Windows environment will then and can be played on any computer as long as you have the disk.
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby massive27 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Some data that could be of use after many trials to avoid the 430 error :

- DMC2.ocx is a component used by Duamutef to use bass.dll . DMC2.ocx is so old that it requires msvbvm50.dll
- bass.dll included in vrpg package is also very old, but is a well-known dll. Newer versions that doesnt hangs the game under win7 are available all over the web (altough the latest from http://www.un4seen.com is "too new" for vrpg2 and make it crash. I checked it under winXP). Also, the trick to delete the original bass.dll is bad : the game will crash as soon as it will try to "emit" sounds (also tested under winXP). I have randomely found one that both work under XP and doesnt hang the game under win7 :3

- dx7vb.dll is a wrapper in order to have VB6 programs with nifty, smooth graphics. It means vrpg use directx7 and directdraw7 to render the realtime screen. Itmeans that vrpg will run very well with virtualPC or VMWare since directdraw7 doesnt require a powerful 3D graphics card adapter or emulation. On a side note, if you have GFX issues, check if you have this dll properly installed, or retrieve info about your hardware compatibility with directx7 / directdraw.

- ExVRPG2.exe is made with VB6, here is the full list of the files required to run it. Basically, if you copy all of them in the game directory, you don't need to use the setup to install the game. A simple copy'n'paste will do.
MpqCtl.ocx (to read the data.pak file)
msvbvm60.dll (to execute the file)
DMC2.ocx (manager of the sound in game)
msvbm50.dll (in order to have DMC2.ocx to start properly. since winvista, this dll isnt embedded with windows)
bass.dll (to have sound. Note that the original embedded one doesnt work under win7)
dx7vb.dll (to have the GFX animation and so during the game. This one should be added to windows as soon as you install or upgrade DirectX)
ComDlg32.ocx (open and save dialogbox. This one is embedded with windows since win98, but heh, who knows in the future)

On the '430' issue, this is probably a "right policy" issue of using some old, flawed, OLE objects that are now locked in win7. I'm not sure if it is before directx7 initialization or during directx7 initialization. To know exactly, there is [an hard] way... I wonder if it wouldn't be faster to redo the game, since we have all the sfx, gfx, and data.
Note : loading a saved char, as expected, doesnt bypass the 430 error.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby massive27 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:33 pm

And here it is !

The last trouble is only a missing file : d3drm.dll . As soon as you have it, no more error 430 :)
Google it and download it. Then put it in your \windows\system32 (32bit windows) or \windows\syswow64 (64bit windows) folder. Simply add d3drm.dll here, no need to reboot or anything. (Having it in the game directory won't work.)

And launch the game... :3 VRPG running under win7 x64 !

Enjoy !
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Reaverbot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:31 pm

yeah, none of this works
Reaverbot
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby AssIdolizer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:46 pm

MASSIVE'S FIX WORKS! I am playing the game RIGHT NOW in Windows Vista!
AssIdolizer
Been posting for a bit

Postby massive27 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:46 pm

I have zipped all the various DLL files that you may be missing. That Windows may be missing to be more accurate. Lil' readme included about how/where to copy them.

Along is included a bass.dll files that works for me, since the original one hangs the game at startup.

Hope it helps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hjbtvyok5c55uaq
Edit : new zip package, the other was corrupted

Past your error message here if any, I've dealt with tons of them :|
Last edited by massive27 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby regnierofhexter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I got it working with Massive's fix too. very simple fix too.
regnierofhexter
Somewhat familiar

Postby Erecant » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:36 am

I'm having trouble unzipping your file actually. None of the items included will properly unzip, nor can I copy/move them from the archive, keep getting unexpected errors. Probably something stupid I'm doing but it refuses to even let me at them.

**Ok so downloading your compilation, I'm not seeing all of the files you've mentioned, specifically there is no bass.dll, among others. As to my inability to properly extract them, I can only guess that the file you hosted was incomplete or otherwise corrupted. Do you think you might if not host these files, give more precise instructions, in one place, as to where everything goes, the readme was overly simple, and trying to follow your thought processes through the various posts had me lost before long.
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Sarethas » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:39 am

Okay, I am running windows Vista, 64-bit, I think the home premium version. A month or two back, I followed the instructions on page one to try and correct it, but gave up the attempt when I got that familiar old 430 error that plagues the system. Then I saw your fix, and figured why not. Downloaded the package you included in the last post there, and yes, you were missing the bass.dll file, but I fixed that easily via http://www.dll-files.com/ and looking it up. No worries. ^^

Now, as I don't like readme files, I happened to ignore yours, and after installing the only missing files, namely the d3drm.dll and the batch file without success, I sort of copied and overwrote in all the files included in your fix. This didn't fix it, but it did give me a new error. Something about 1% not being a recognized function. Thinking about it, I probably should have tried for administrator mode to see what happened. I didn't really think about that, as I thought I might have just kicked the last leg out from under this old laptop.

Then I shrugged, saved my necessary files to a disk, and rolled it back to the previous shutdown about 18 hours prior to my mistake. No loss, nothing wrong. So, I came back here, got all the files you listed, and actually followed the instructions on the readme this time. I had the same error when I put them in C:\windows\system32 so I moved on to the next step, and put them in the game folder itself. That gave me a different kind of error when I tried using the standard thing to open up the game. Something wrong with msbvm60.dll. Now, I was sort of agitated at this, but I figured, let's try everything, and went to redownload that particular file from the previously mentioned website. It got me back to having the 430 error.

Hell yes. Here's a solution. Go the the website earlier in the post, and downlowd the d3drm.dll from there. Install it in the mentioned place. It should work. Not sure why, but the files inside your fix are reading as 0kb, so there's obviously a problem in transit there. But if you download that, attempt to install them into the registry, you can figure out which files are missing. Then just use the website to get the ones that you need. Makes it really easy. Thanks. ^^
If you bring the drama, I'll bring my squeaky rubber hammer and flail you into submission.
Sarethas
Somewhat familiar

Postby massive27 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 am

Awww sorry for the corrupted zip ^^; i'll fix it and edit the URL.

d3drm.dll is 342kb, must be in windows\system32
msvbvm50.dll is 1324kb, game directory or windows\system32
msvbvm60.dll is 1353kb, game directory or windows\system32

Good thing we all try different way. Soon we'll be able make a nice "post-it"ed thread with the right procedure.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Erecant » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:58 am

Wow! I got it to work following your instructions in the new file. For completeness' sake I put the files in both the syswow64 folder as well as the game folder, and ran the .bat in each. End-result, so far it works perfectly, guess I don't have to deal with my old-ass laptop with xp to play this anymore! Thanks a lot for all the wok you did on this massive.

**Point of interest, I had to run the game in Xp service pack 3 compatibility in order for it to save and load.
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby forumlurker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 am

I'm missing this file:

msvBCM60.dll

I'm sure the C has to be a C. Thanks in advance.
forumlurker
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby massive27 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:39 pm

msvbvm60.dll stands for "microsoft visual basic virtual machine 6.0"
there is also a file called
msvcp60.dll "microsoft visual c++ runtime library 6.0" . That last one should not be required for vrpg. Anyway try googeling using the file description as keyword, and see if it fix your message.

I can't help you over msvbcm60.dll, I don't have it and it doesnt seems common.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby gamemaster1236 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for the fix massive. I have been waiting to play this again for like 2 years.

Problem now is my saving is screwy. I made a character and saved just before going into the forest. I fought a bit in there and leveled up. I then saved my game. However, when ever I try to load my character, I get the first save I made, back at the city. I did overwrite the original PLR file so that isn't it... Any ideas?

Soooo close to being able to fight ground maw again!
Can I haz Pred nawo?
gamemaster1236
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lamnia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Well my experiment to get Virtual Machine to run Windows 98 ended up with lots of problems, as a back up plan. (But like any insane person I have not given up even though its not working.) I am thinking about using my ME, 2K, and XP next....

Tried the new fix with Vista and Windows 7, did not work.... Wonder if a registry mechanic tool would help or worsen the issue....

Once SOMEONE gets it working in all environments we need to really document it.
(Re-summarize it.)
...Since we will not be getting anymore support from the creator anymore.... (Not because he would not want to, but because he can't.)

If someone knows all the dependent files, I mean all, and their locations this would be great.
I know I had it working in Vista and XP at one point.
And I am wondering if versions of the game before whats now listed are archived by anyone?
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby massive27 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:51 am

Lamnia, the "registry mechanic tool" I used to figure out the missing files and stuff is Procmon (technet Sysinternals Process monitor V1.11). I guess you'll have to use it to fix your problem of launching VRPG2. Hopefully you'll discover another dependencies or missing file to complete our troubleshoot tutorial :3

gamemaster1236, all I know is that the savegame is also a MPQ file (like the data pack). I have no idea what exactly your problem could come from, but sometime the save function of the game fails... (making some of my saves unreadable T_T )
We should start another topic dealing with the savegame.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby gamemaster1236 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Its not a huge problem... I can update ethe save by saving over it, but I can acess the new save unless I close the game and reopen it. Not to terrible but it takes about a minute each time and being able to just quickload after you die would be much more preferrable.
Can I haz Pred nawo?
gamemaster1236
Somewhat familiar

PreviousNext

Return to Duamutef's Dimension