Other stories set in Ishara?

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

Other stories set in Ishara?

Postby sansuki » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:39 pm

With Duamutef gone, Shells looks like it's going to finish where it is right now- partly completed, as so many stories longer than a few thousand words end up being here. What's worse, nobody- that I know of- is writing stories set in this fantastic setting. The only stories I know of are the ones on Duam's webpage http://sdcga.com/~duam9/ and a very brief one I uploaded a year ago that to be frank doesn't really have a 'plot'. Is someone in this community writing stuff set in Ishara that I don't know about? I mean, I am usually the first one on the barricades decrying writing 'fanfic' or other peoples' ideas, but Ishara's just such a beautiful playground that it seems almost criminal for nobody to be playing on the swing set. I will cheerfully read virtually anything in the setting- and I've noted that a lot of writers kind of let some of the background assumptions of Duam's setting 'bleed through' into their own work, because there are a lot of interesting ideas there.

...of course, complaining about that and not putting forth my own work... that'd just be rude, wouldn't it? So here it goes: http://aryion.com/g3/showitem.php?id=185162 I am planning a longish work in Ishara, and have uploaded some of my preliminary notes for comment/feedback/bouncing ideas off the walls. I still have to think of a title, because I am terrible at that. The comments on the posted 'story' itself and the text in the notes should tell most of the story- I have a more complete version for people who want to see where my mind is going with the other 'main' characters, and a bit more of the planned plot if they fear no spoilers.
sansuki
---

Re: Other stories set in Ishara?

Postby Throku » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 am

I did think of starting an interactive, based of the old VRPG game, but it never even made it into the draft-stage. The general idea was for it to be after the game, but not by too much, with the hero of the game having grown into a mean queen of the town, luckily too large to get out of the egg chamber.

I suppose I could set such a story up and mod it, if there's interest in such. Naturally it'd be like the game, f/f, digestion and poop being important preferences.
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby sansuki » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:01 pm

For those who wanted me to write this, but simply didn't comment:

The story has begun to be posted, and the first two chapters are uploaded here. http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=185161 I hope to keep to a one-chapter-per-week pace, and already have two more chapters past this completed to give me a buffer against delays. Comments and discussion are, as always, welcomed.
sansuki
---

Postby Bright » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 pm

I`ll say, a story set in Ishara is awesome.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Bitter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:05 pm

SimRobert wrote a story called "Janie Gurglemeister" that might fit the bill.

I seem to recall Throku writing a VRPG mod, too. The game script is in a plain-text format, so even if you're (like me) on Vista and can no longer play the game, at least you can read the more detailed scenarios.
Bitter
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sansuki » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Bitter wrote:SimRobert wrote a story called "Janie Gurglemeister" that might fit the bill.

I seem to recall Throku writing a VRPG mod, too. The game script is in a plain-text format, so even if you're (like me) on Vista and can no longer play the game, at least you can read the more detailed scenarios.

Yeah, Throku wrote a mod, but the only copy of it I can find is one that he warns in giant letters DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS OR IT WILL WRECK YOUR COPY and so since I *can* still play it... I don't think I want to look around it. I do have Erecant's similar mod however, which also has a lot of good bonus content.
sansuki
---

Postby Bitter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Ah, it was actually Erecant's mod I was thinking of. Good catch.
Bitter
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Throku » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:29 am

Ehh then just download mine to a place that's not your game folder and read it there :P Erecant's mod is playable, my first two mods are playable, my third mod ehh... was in the making and hence a lot of stuff is in the wrong place and a lot of quests and stuff undone so you can't get to most of the stuff from the game anyhow. Too bad Vista crapped up :( I only stopped making it because I can't open the game, let alone play it.
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby Winny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I miss duam... -sniffle.- I have been thinking of starting a set of storys but work and my real life get in the way. Kinda sucks to cuz he wrote winny in only a few chapters before.
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Winny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:17 pm

also these mods can I haz link to them to?
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sansuki » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Winny wrote:also these mods can I haz link to them to?

Erecant's (the one that should actually not break your game if you install it) is here: viewtopic.php?p=315690#p315690

Throku's (the one that will break your game if you install it) is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9S22OLZG
sansuki
---

Postby Throku » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 am

Hmm, reading sansuki's excellent story made me want to draft up a story of my own, with the setting mentioned above. I wonder though what the name of the "Home Town" is?
I figured they didn't actually have a name for it, but after having a hero placing them on the map, people start wondering what the name of the place is and they make one up.

Any suggestions? (I'm at a loss.)
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby Aleph-Null » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 pm

The Village.

But seriously, I think the name should relate to the Hero.

Perhaps they didn't have a name for the town originally. But once the word had gotten out just how wealthy the town was, traveling merchants and traders needed a name in order to reference it. Since there is little of interest to a trader in that town except the Hero (and her gold) her name became linked to the town.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby MrNobody » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Honestly, The Long Way Home may as well be the grand finale to Ishara. At least sansuki let it go out with a bang.
MrNobody
New to the forum

Return to Duamutef's Dimension