Vore RPG under a Virtual PC?

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

Vore RPG under a Virtual PC?

Postby Aces » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 pm

My friend told me about a program for running a Virtual PC on Windows 7. He likes to run XP and Linux on his Windows 7.

I asked him about games. In theory, I should be able to play the VRPG again (finally) until Duamutef returns and (hopefully) develops VRPG 2.0...

What I want to know is if anyone has done this already and been successful?

EDIT: Same question applies to RPG maker, and other vore games.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Vore RPG under a Virtual PC?

Postby Lamnia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Oddly enough I am trying it right now...
I am looking for a older install to make sure it works.

I remember having to some tweak initially when I had XP to get it to run, something dealing with runtime...
I am as curious of others as well being able to.
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby killerwolf6 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:58 am

I believe there have been post about where people have said running a virtual machine with XP installed will allow you to play VRPG, and i have done it, and yes it indeed works.
coffee coffee COFFEE!!!
killerwolf6
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Lamnia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 am

Yes, it works for most.
But do to the fact not everyone's build of XP it is a issue that some files or installs go missing.
Even Duamutef admits it, he had moved onto a new game he was working on.
(I have a copy of one that kinda reminds me of Joust, major graphics improvement!)

Its nice knowing it works for some.
But knowing where the errors can and do occur is kinda my interest.
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Aces » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:48 am

I've got a version of the game on a USB drive. I've been playing off the USB without issue for a long time, until my stupid arse younger sister took the last Windows computer to school with her one day, a laptop, and friggen broke it...

She breaks every electronic device she touches.

With my new computer, I won't DARE let her have any freedom with it. It's the only one with internet access, but I stand over her shoulder and watch her like a hawk. >_>

But with this Virtual PC thing, it should work. The hard part is just getting a copy of Windows XP. I think Windows ME will also work, however, which is more easily obtainable because Microsoft no longer gives a damn if I torrent it.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Angel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Whether or not a game works on a virtual machine depends mostly on the graphic needs of the game. While a virtual machine emulates a complete PC, so far none can emulate a graphics card very well, especially the hardware acceleration that all modern graphic cards have.

Although the latest versions of VMware and VirtualBox do have some rudimentary support for hardware acceleration, it is not enough for most modern games that rely heavily on hardware acceleration to render 3D environments. Most such games won't even recognize the emulated graphics card.

Older games that do not use hardware acceleration, and even some modern games that do not use 3D, do work on virtual machines. While I haven't tried Duamutef's games on my virtual XP machine yet, I do have the games Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 and Plants vs Zombies working flawlessly on it.

Just my geeky $0.02 :-)
Angel
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby YuriFan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:12 am

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... ement.html

:)

if all else fails, dual boot that shiat
YuriFan
Participator

Postby Amanda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 am

killerwolf6 wrote:I believe there have been post about where people have said running a virtual machine with XP installed will allow you to play VRPG, and i have done it, and yes it indeed works.

Partly. It only works if you got a really ols version of XP, like one with Service Pack 0 or Service Pack 1. The problem is NOT the operating system. The problem is, the language Duamutef wrote the game in advanced, and he obviously used deprecated functions that were removed in current releases. All he needs to do is recompile the game with the current libraries...
Amanda, the playful voric succubus princess... heh, says all ^_^
Amanda
Succubus Princess

Postby Aces » Fri May 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Amanda wrote:
killerwolf6 wrote:I believe there have been post about where people have said running a virtual machine with XP installed will allow you to play VRPG, and i have done it, and yes it indeed works.

Partly. It only works if you got a really ols version of XP, like one with Service Pack 0 or Service Pack 1. The problem is NOT the operating system. The problem is, the language Duamutef wrote the game in advanced, and he obviously used deprecated functions that were removed in current releases. All he needs to do is recompile the game with the current libraries...

Unfortunately Duamutef has been AWOL for some time, now. :\

By the way, has anyone even gotten it to work yet on Windows 7 or Vista? Because I once made it as far as the main menu and it froze...
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Aleph-Null » Sat May 15, 2010 3:31 am

Well VRPG was written in VB 6; Microsoft has since stopped supporting VB 6.

The successor, VB.Net is not the same language and you can not re-compile the code.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Lamnia » Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 am

I had it working in Vista. But I had to reinstall the oS and ever since it has not worked.
And yeah some libraries are missing and no longer available to download from MS... so I will no longer be able to play.

Unless someone makes a ISO of the installed Virtual PC with it on.
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to Duamutef's Dimension