VRPG Modifications: Who has done some and who wants to?

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

VRPG Modifications: Who has done some and who wants to?

Postby Throku » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:39 am

Over the years I've read people muttering about having done some changes/additions to the material in VRPG, but I've never seen anyone upload anything related to those changes.

As little as a character might be plenty in the long run, because the number of people who've chirped have been more than a handful.

So to be blunt: Who have already done changes to the material of the game? Introduce yourself and if you want to then show us what you've done.

Do you want to modify the contents of the game? If so, who are you and have you done anything before? Writing/drawing?

I do think it'd be quite interesting to see if we could compile a large modification for all to enjoy. Don't you agree?
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby kewbe » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:48 pm

i have tried but every time i modify something it crashes so i am doing something wrong
kewbe

Postby empatheticapathy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:11 pm

If it isn't already obvious (and I really hope it is), I *really* want to mod VRPG.
I can anything besides art and beyond-easy programming. I can do plot, dialogue, level design, gameplay design, and control schemes. I'm also trying to branch out into audio.
empatheticapathy
---

Re:

Postby Erecant » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:39 pm

Yo, I've been playing for a long time, modding conversations for nearly as long. I've not really strayed beyond conversation mods however, as there is so much potential there that I've wasted untold hours tweaking, writing, re-writing and adjusting conversation scripts.

On my personal copy of the game I've adjusted the conversations to make it possible for nearly any primary npc to end up with you in her belly.(A rather difficult undertaking for quite a few of them, not much to make of some of the stock conversations to turn them in a vorish direction) Further I added a recurring character who makes an appearance in each town and several outdoor areas. This character must be initially visited in sequence to allow for the meeting of her next incarnation.

Attached is my conversation file. Please note that many of the values used for stat checks have been modified either well below the originals or well beyond anything reasonably possible. I've yet to actually balance my own mod, as I prefer to use it for casual perusal than serious gameplay. Further, in a similar vein, I've made it possible to reach a swallowing end in conversations with even weak girls, through either poor choices, or deliberate means. i.e. most if not all minimum stat checks have been removed, so, while a certain stat is required to say, escape, the option to NOT escape will always be available.

Another note; not included are my custom characters' placement on maps, this is only the conversation file for your perusal as of yet. Should enough people request it I'd be happy to package the current version of my mod, however this is an ongoing project of mine that has periods of activity interspersed between long bouts of inactivity, so mini-projects within this mod are still unfinished.

Finally these conversations are based off of, and evolved from, the conversations originally made by Duamutef, as well as a previous mod Throku had posted more than a few years back it seems.
Attachments
Conversations.txt
(367.69 KiB) Downloaded 1743 times
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Throku » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 am

Heh, yes it would seem four years have passed since then, I have made manu more additions since then, but instead of just modding individual characters (I did that as well) the primary was to add maps and quests and well one has to finish those for the whole sha-bang to work and I still haven't done that, but I'm working on it... even wrote another conversation yesterday ;)

You said you took on the primary characters, I my self have waged a war against the secondaries, the ones that just tell you one thing and then the confversation ends, I think most of them don't even have a conversation in the conversations.txt. I've called them announce-conversations anyway and there are hardly any left on my end :P

Well now I'll go take a look at what you've done Erecant and then hopefully get back to relearning how to modify again.

As of right now Kewbe and empatheticapathy all I can say is that it takes a while to get anywhere. What I've done most of the times is to copy and paste things I want into places I want them and modify the values and what not afterwards. I emphasis on copying something you know works because it is really easy to forget a stupid comma or something if you have to write it, even Duamutef did that.
Most of the information regarding conversations are to be found at the top of the conversations.txt and most of the other stuff for the maps is to be found at the top of the VRPGData.txt which is the Hometown-map-setup-file as well so you might even fins a few examples in the code there.
Otherwise looking at the top and finding a command you like, then use Ctrl+f and search for the command in the code to find out how it is implemented in the actual game, there's no better example.
Throku
May I take your order?

Re:

Postby Allie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:01 am

I want to try out the new conversations, but I'm not sure how... Where do I need to put the file to make it work?
Allie
Participator

Re:

Postby Throku » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:10 am

You could put the txt-file in the same folder as the game's .exe-file is that should work at times, but for it to always work you need to open the Data.pak file and add the new files. (it replaces the old one automatically.) The program I use to open and edit the Data.pak-file is WinMPQ. Just google for it, that worked for me :P

Remember no folders inside the Data.pak-file. When you add something it asks you if you want to put it into a subdirectory, just leave the field blank.
Throku
May I take your order?

Re:

Postby Revx_Z » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Erecant wrote:On my personal copy of the game I've adjusted the conversations to make it possible for nearly any primary npc to end up with you in her belly.(A rather difficult undertaking for quite a few of them, not much to make of some of the stock conversations to turn them in a vorish direction) Further I added a recurring character who makes an appearance in each town and several outdoor areas. This character must be initially visited in sequence to allow for the meeting of her next incarnation.

Attached is my conversation file.
Can I just replace the existing one, or do I need to fidget with Data.pak for this too, like with Throku?

Erecant wrote:Please note that many of the values used for stat checks have been modified either well below the originals or well beyond anything reasonably possible.
How much is "reasonably possible"? My best character has something like 70 in her best stats, but she scummed to level 90 despite being able to win the game at level 50.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Erecant » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:03 pm

If you're using the same version as I am, then you can just replace the conversation file you have with a new one and it should work perfectly.

As for the "reasonably possible" several npc's have STR:100's or so in their conversation scripts, one in particular went as high as, umm, I think STR:250. ON average I gauged difficult checks around 50-75, so for a non-cheating character it would be possible to beat them albeit unlikely, as you'd need to both powerlevel absurdly high and specialize your stats.

That being said, by all means cheat if you're looking to see what the conversations have to offer. Though from time to time it's fun to run into a situation you don't have the ability to escape from, if only to see what will unfold.
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Revx_Z » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Okay. It mostly works, but there are a few bugs. (Well, there are a lot of bugs, but most of them are too minor to care about, such as the Velvet Intestine spell not working on everyone yet.)

1) Jeritia can review her lessons any number of times, leading to an arbitrarily high Squirm skill. It can even break the level 11 limit, which I can't do with skill points.

2) Many of the stat tests are implemented with "Option:STR:20:blah" followed by "Option:thingy" instead of "Option:NOTSTR:20:thingy". Since these often have similar wording, I can't tell which one is good or bad without reading the file.

Also annoying but probably not worth bothering you about are: the fact that it never tries to check for Squirm skill instead of, say, DEX; and that many of the lines seem to be for custom NPCs that are only in your modded version, like traveler and demontome.

Finally, I wish I could work on this, but I can't find the tiiiiiime. :(
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Throku » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:29 pm

I have yet to find a way to check for skills in conversations :/ I agree with you otherwise that squirm and gluttony would be useful checks at times, perhaps even giantstomach, or magic resistance.

The spell is as you saw because Erecant hasn't written that for more than two or three characters that I know of and I read through it all yesterday.

The stattests you mention are changes he's made, I assume to still have the oportunity to fail eventhough the character might meat the requirements to succed. I noticed even a few where the whole "notstat:xx" wasn't removed and should thus lead to some sort of bug.
Erecant wrote:Please note that many of the values used for stat checks have been modified either well below the originals or well beyond anything reasonably possible. I've yet to actually balance my own mod, as I prefer to use it for casual perusal than serious gameplay. Further, in a similar vein, I've made it possible to reach a swallowing end in conversations with even weak girls, through either poor choices, or deliberate means. i.e. most if not all minimum stat checks have been removed, so, while a certain stat is required to say, escape, the option to NOT escape will always be available.

The repeate cycle that shouldn't be repeated is true on a few other places as well. Hopefully this will all be fixed soon enough, but for now things are a bit screwy. :P And don't look at me for a better functioning version, mine is even more fucked up than Erecant's.
Throku
May I take your order?

Re:

Postby Erecant » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:53 pm

I'll get around to making a version that's better balanced and less conversationally buggy after midterms.

I know those little repetitions/similar names are there, just haven't bothered to clean them up myself since, prior to a day or two ago, this was for my own use, and I happily overlooked little indiscrepancies.
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Revx_Z » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 am

I don't mind having the option to not escape, but I'd at least like to have it phrased as "Escape" vs. "Try to escape" rather than, for example, "More" vs. "Continue".
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Throku » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 am

Well, most of those I have made, erecant just removed the :NOTSTAT:xx part and changed them somewhat, I'm fairly certain that they were exactly the same before. And will be if I get a decent mod together. Anything posted here is at best to be viewed as work in progress.
Throku
May I take your order?

Re:

Postby Duamutef » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:23 am

Well, the good news is I finally broke ground on the MMF version of VRPG 2 today. I basically decided to make it basically a cleaner and better version of the old one, partially because there is interest in mods and my other ideas would be impossible to mod (not to mention take ten times as long to make).

The bad news is I don't have as much freedom in writing scripting languages; I have to format them more carefully and this places some restrictions on them. Among other things, this means the old files will not be compatible.

The good news is they're still text, so there's nothing stopping me from writing converters that will change the old files into the new ones. The new files will be pickier, but not harder per se. (The restrictions have actually forced me to make cleaner and more straightforward command structures)

Some things will inevitably change too much to be compatible; for example, while random maps will be possible, it will be impossible to generate the same maps that the old ones did.

A lot of the gameplay will be different too, but in good ways. (You won't just be spamming the same spell forever while you chug potions with your other hand.)
Step into my world, and maybe one of it's denizens...
http://www.sdcga.com/~duam9/
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Throku » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:51 am

Duamutef wrote:Well, the good news is I finally broke ground on the MMF version of VRPG 2 today. I basically decided to make it basically a cleaner and better version of the old one, partially because there is interest in mods and my other ideas would be impossible to mod (not to mention take ten times as long to make).

Yay!!!

Duamutef wrote:The bad news is I don't have as much freedom in writing scripting languages; I have to format them more carefully and this places some restrictions on them. Among other things, this means the old files will not be compatible.

Not sure what you mean by that. It would have been weird if one could take the files straight from one to the other. Though I do hope that it is similar enough, it really feels like one can do quite a bit with the current system.

Duamutef wrote:The good news is they're still text, so there's nothing stopping me from writing converters that will change the old files into the new ones. The new files will be pickier, but not harder per se. (The restrictions have actually forced me to make cleaner and more straightforward command structures)

Um, sure... I just have a feeling that the old files are so full of crap that making a converter might be trickier than copy & pasting the good stuff.

Duamutef wrote:Some things will inevitably change too much to be compatible; for example, while random maps will be possible, it will be impossible to generate the same maps that the old ones did.

Meh, who'd notice, or if they do, care? It's the girlies on the maps that are interesting. And wasn't there a new mission?

Duamutef wrote:A lot of the gameplay will be different too, but in good ways. (You won't just be spamming the same spell forever while you chug potions with your other hand.)

Whaaah!? Heh, not that I ever took too much notice of the grinding parts of a game...
Throku
May I take your order?

Re:

Postby jasamprn » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:12 am

Erecant, would you be willing to give us a copy of your other modded files?

And thats great news Duamutef ^^
jasamprn
Somewhat familiar

Postby Erecant » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:51 am

Okay, due to popular demand, here's the rest of the files used in the mod I posted the conversation file for. Just place these files in your vrpg directory, overwriting the one's that may be there already.

**Edit**

I've just finished tweaking jeritia's script to stop the possible loop for infinite squirm skill, and gotten rid of the player's ability to cast the velvet intestine's magic, that was just way too much work to handle. Furthermore I've changed some of the choice options in a disambiguating action, hopefully it'll be easier to play through this way. This file should replace the conversation file in the VRPGmod.rar file I posted.
Attachments
VRPGmod.rar
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 4239 times
Conversations.txt
This is the newest version of the conversation file.
(349.88 KiB) Downloaded 1743 times
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Re:

Postby darkevilme » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:29 am

Erecant, nice job with the conversation files. Made me revisit the game.

And now questions
What is the MMF version of VRPG 2 and what would its features be?

Oh and i'm not sure if its been mentioned by others but i'd like to report a weird glitch i experienced in vrpg where my hired guard warrior would multiply into a vast unstoppable horde sometimes when i left towns. It's solveable by getting them all killed, sorta.
darkevilme
---

Re:

Postby Revx_Z » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:14 pm

Funny how this mod revival is happening ten years after the game comes out and just in time for the second edition.

Will VRPG 2 be more of a sequel or a remake?
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Next

Return to Duamutef's Dimension