Official Shells Thread (Chapter 26, 9/17/09)

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

Postby Aleph-Null » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:38 pm

it made me chuckle that this chapter has a warning do to a lack of debauchery and to much story where as a previous chapter has a warning do to to much debauchery and no story.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Winny » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:35 am

Duamutef I believe is so propheticaly wise in some of the creations he makes that sometimes it cannot help but stray from the vore, the stories he makes are simply great, even with the vore taken out. While I to miss it, I can only hope he can make it up by making other things with vore in it. I read every chapter a couple of times just because I try to write my own stories but in the end I don't finish them. So there inspriations to me.

Uhm... I'm going to be quiet now I am not a long winded person... -Blush.-
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Onewingedangel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Seriously, I usually forget it's a vore story. Now it's just an awesome story. Seriously, I'd buy the book. :D
Onewingedangel
Somewhat familiar

Re:

Postby Throku » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:26 am

;) even when you show your soft side it makes for a good read, usually I avoid tear-dripping fluffiness.
It's a shame that so few seem to take the time to read this awesome story of yours, but I guess words are harder to grasp than pictures and can be intimidating when they are so many ;P

Perhaps you should consider making some pictures related to the story (and link to it from them) so that more find their way to it. Sure one shouldn't judge a book by its cover but it is easy to overlook one that doesn't have a cover that catches your attention.
Throku
May I take your order?

Re:

Postby Duamutef » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:19 am

I would like to do some pictures of the characters. I've tried a sketch or two, but so far Ishiar's little run-in with the Karis is the only one I've managed to nail down. I hadn't even thought of doing a "cover."

There was one particular scene I wanted to do just because it's so pointedly visceral, and I was going to mention it, but I realized I haven't even uploaded that chapter yet. In fact, I seem to have a shitload of stuff I haven't uploaded yet. So maybe what I'll do is make some pics and include the scene with the chapter it goes in.

I wish I could illustrate the whole thing, but I'm such a picky bastard that everything I do has to be in full color, so a single pic can take days. Even so, I'm hoping to do at least one picture of each character.

And as far as the tear-dripping fluffiness, I have been shocked more than once by the way such a scene turned out. Apparently my characters can only repress and ignore their feelings for so long, and half the time they crack when nobody expects it, including me. One of the ugliest emotional conflicts I have ever written appeared unbidden at the end of a story I had originally planned to be entirely silly, literally changing the whole nature of the story. It was a much better story, but nothing like I planned it. And it ended up filling in huge amounts of the depth for the character, making all of her seemingly psychotic and random behavior make sense in a way that was even more frightening because it suddenly made sense. Even I didn't realize what made her the way she was until I wrote the story.

In fact, I write characters in reverse more often than not. A character will spontaneously pop into my brain fully formed, and as time goes on their reasons for being that way will be revealed. I didn't know Blast was a mimic until the group saw Kaboom. I did know, however, that she was not human.
Step into my world, and maybe one of it's denizens...
http://www.sdcga.com/~duam9/
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Duamutef » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:10 am

So, yeah, chapter 22 and stuff, back on page 1. I'm not sure why I do that, but hey, since I'm already in the habit, I may as well.

Enjoy. Or I will kill your family.
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby oldman40k2003 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:39 am

Duamutef wrote:Enjoy. Or I will kill your family.

Hey, my family has already been killed you insensitive clod!!

(No, my family isn't really dead.)
Eye see you.
oldman40k2003
Vorefinder

Re:

Postby Duamutef » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Hey, my family has already been killed you insensitive clod!!

You'd better enjoy it a lot then. Otherwise, who knows who might get caught in the crossfire.
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Lithalya » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:59 am

Another nice chapter in the saga, Duam. ^_^ Looking forward to more.
Lithalya
Participator

Re:

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 am

Holy crap on toast! An update from Duamutef!??!?!

*Brain implosion.*
It's all just a figment of your imagination.
Quicksilver
???

Re:

Postby Aleph-Null » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Well I naturally liked this one as the Mecki are my favorite clan and I'm very fond of Kaboom.

was curious how Blast and Kaboom exited the naga. Did they blow a hole in here stomach? or did they shoot out her mouth (I assume they didn't shoot out the other end or Winny would have come along too.)
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Re:

Postby justaname333 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:29 pm

They came out "the other end" and Winny didn't get shot out because she was eaten *after* Blast and Kaboom was if you payed attention.
justaname333
Participator

Postby Winny » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Yay Duam wrote me in! <3 theres nothing better then having one of your favorite artists/writers include you in the story. hehe took awhile but worth the wait.

Tehe <3 Duam.
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Duamutef » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Quite a while, yes...it's been, what, two years or something?

I hope you're okay with the way I wrote her.

She kind of wrote herself, actually.

But yeah, Winny was above them, probably in the Naga's "human" stomach. (Poor Mitzen wasn't used to stuffing down three people at a time.) If she had been directly in the line of fire the explosion probably would have knocked her out or killed her outright. Hell, it would have killed the Naga if killing something from the inside wasn't basically impossible. As it was, it still loosened things up enough that Winny just had to shimmy down the line towards the end and the Naga's stomach couldn't even try to stop her.

As for Kaboom and Blast, well...let's just say they've put a lot of points into "surviving explosions." Taking a board with a nail in it and smacking them over the head would probably hurt them more than strapping them face-first to a half-ton of TNT and setting it off.
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Winny » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:34 am

I like how she is ^.^ I hope theres more chapters comeing.

-snuggles duam.- <3
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Revx_Z » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Duamutef wrote:In fact, I write characters in reverse more often than not. A character will spontaneously pop into my brain fully formed, and as time goes on their reasons for being that way will be revealed. I didn't know Blast was a mimic until the group saw Kaboom. I did know, however, that she was not human.
She's what? Was this mentioned somewhere that I missed?

As to the new chapter...

The scene with Liliandra and company is putting me in mind of a stereotypical anime. Dramatic showoffs, cryptic riddles, mildly confusing fight scenes between hugely powerful characters that resolve little, huge outpourings of emotion.

I'm reminded of Monty Python:
"Well, she tagged me with Lo'i'Klaethe a bunch of times. [...] I got better."

Duamutef wrote:"push in case of unwanted continents and/or massively suicidal tendencies."
- awww, come on, you know that'll just incite people to push it. Any button with any sort of 'do not push' label attracts that response. :P

Duamutef wrote:"Holy Masalla in bondage gear"

That's probably the funniest curse I've heard in some time. :)

Winny wrote:Yay Duam wrote me in! <3 theres nothing better then having one of your favorite artists/writers include you in the story. hehe took awhile but worth the wait.

Tehe <3 Duam.
Is this tuckerisation? Cool. 8)

Duamutef wrote:As for Kaboom and Blast, well...let's just say they've put a lot of points into "surviving explosions." Taking a board with a nail in it and smacking them over the head would probably hurt them more than strapping them face-first to a half-ton of TNT and setting it off.
With this sort of metaphysical jury-rigging everywhere, I suppose it's only low life expectancy that stops Isharan philosophers from reasoning quite rapidly to the existence and attributes of Duamutef?

Winny wrote:-snuggles duam.- <3
Why does this seem to me like an incredibly hazardous activity, and why do I have an urge to snuggle the both of you nonetheless?

And I hope there are more chapters coming too.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby Winny » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Im just a friendly person. As for Duam his art and storys are the only ones that Ive been so attached to that ive had dreams about them. (Mmmmm....) So forever he will be snuggly to me. God or no god.

hehe.. <3

But I do love snuggles from everyone. >.>
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Official Shells Thread (Chapter 22! 12/16/08! Hooray!)

Postby Duamutef » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:40 am

She's what? Was this mentioned somewhere that I missed?

As to the new chapter...

The scene with Liliandra and company is putting me in mind of a stereotypical anime. Dramatic showoffs, cryptic riddles, mildly confusing fight scenes between hugely powerful characters that resolve little, huge outpourings of emotion.

I'm reminded of Monty Python:
"Well, she tagged me with Lo'i'Klaethe a bunch of times. [...] I got better."

That's a perfect example of what I was saying. Blast never got better, but Ishiar did, and it bugged the crap out of me. But every time I tried to change it, my brain wouldn't let me. It kept saying "No, Ishiar healed. Deal with it."

And I kept saying "she can't heal, it's fucking Lo'i'Klaethe!"

And I didn't figure out why until I was writing the chapter I'm on right now, and I figured it out based on stuff the characters said after I wrote it. That's just how much free will these worlds inside my brain can end up with.

Once I figured it out, it made perfect sense. A frightening amount of sense. In fact, once I figured it out and thought out it's consequences I realized it's a center point of the entire fucking story. But until then I just thought I was being dumb and perpetually forgetting that she'd been hit by it. I got blindsided by my own plot.

As for the bit with Rea and Liliandra...yeah. Let's say even I didn't know how messed up Rea was until then. I knew Liliandra was a powerful creature, but the rest of the scene came as something of a shock--both in terms of what Liliandra did and Rea's rather dramatic reaction to it.

A few other tidbits of stuff I didn't know until my characters told me or did something (Note: This is loaded with spoilers if you haven't read all the way up to the current chapter):

1. I didn't know Ishara had alcohol until I discovered that Kaboom is a raging alcoholic.
2. The real reasons for the demonic codes of honor (or at least some of them)
3. There are goddesses for things other than mortals, such as Neruna/Aerothi.
4. Eternity had looked to Duamutef for guidance at some point. (Her knowing about him was one thing--her needing guidance was quite another. In fact, her whole damned personality came as a shock to me.)
5. Male terms such as "he" and "him" are actually used in Ishara; they just don't refer to gender, since it doesn't exist. Instead they distinguish humanoids and greater monsters from beasts and utterly inhuman monsters. (So a naga would be a "she," but a snake would be a "he." A dragon could be either, since it's physically bestial but also sentient.)
6. Cassandra had met Rea.
7. Elvet ate her mother. (I found out as she was telling Annelique. Before that I didn't know the portrait in her room had any significance; I hadn't planned to use it at all, and was very surprised when I looked back and saw how I had depicted it as seeming significant. I had remembered writing it as just flavor for the appearance of the room.)
8. Sudvana got eaten by a space monster. (I pretty much went "Oh. Um, well, okay..." and kept writing.)
9. Annelique forgets that she knows how to fight almost as often as I do, and for exactly the same reason: the idea of attacking someone never even enters her mind, even when they're threatening her.
10. I suspect Cassandra might actually be smarter than me. She keeps remembering things that I've forgotten and the off-hand comments she makes display a greater working knowledge of Ishara than *I* have.
11. "Holy Masalla in bondage gear."

And here's an even bigger secret: There's still some pretty important stuff I don't know. And I don't mean like "I haven't decided," I mean like "I have no fucking clue how that happened or why." This kind of thing is part of what makes writing so interesting for me--it's like roleplaying, watching a miniseries made especially for you, and playing God all at once.

With this sort of metaphysical jury-rigging everywhere, I suppose it's only low life expectancy that stops Isharan philosophers from reasoning quite rapidly to the existence and attributes of Duamutef?

Actually, with the exception of Lo'i'Klaethe and the fate marks (which were set up by Neruna), everything that has happened in the story has been natural. Spirit bodies adapt to repair damage that they frequently take, mimics are not uncommon (though they are rather obscure as far as who knows about them) and one of the natural traits of a mimic is that they will have powers the species they are copying doesn't normally have. (Which shouldn't be that surprising; they take on the physical body of the other race but have a spirit body that ends up being a hybrid between that of the target race and that of a mimic, and since a mimic's spirit body is polymorphic, the remaining mimic half could turn itself into just about anything.)

That is not to say that the life expectancy of a philosopher in Ishara is typically very long. Philosophy is not an effective means of escaping a monster gullet. Unless you're a void mage. Which is really just a fancy way of saying "A philosopher who is actually right." And if a void mage does continually seek to understand the universe better, they do tend to figure out Duamutef exists eventually. (Eternity would be one example of such a person.) But this is rare; most void mages end up having to use their knowledge rather than expanding it.

Why does this seem to me like an incredibly hazardous activity, and why do I have an urge to snuggle the both of you nonetheless?

And I hope there are more chapters coming too.

Duamutef himself is actually perfectly safe. Provided he's not engaging in one of the mandatory "party months" or a similar jaunt into Ishara in which he incarnates as a mortal with no knowledge that he's actually the lord of all creation.

This, ironically, usually ends with more destruction and chaos than the times when he incarnates with full knowledge of who he is, because--as the story says--there's a difference between a spirit and a soul. And while his spirit may be oblivious, his soul is the inventor of the universe, so he tends to discover void magic and high technology entirely too quickly. And some of the first void things he tends to do are normally considered "grandmaster" void techniques; things like communing with all of the stars in the galaxy or melding into the minds of all of the creatures in the area. Because that's what he does all day when he isn't in mortal form or hanging out in Ishara's equivalent of the restaurant at the end of the universe.

So he'll be the only Kari on the planet who can't cast a Firebolt but can manipulate the thoughts of the local villagers to make them take extremely unwise risks in his immediate vicinity. Or cause the local Naga to worship him as their Tor.

When he incarnates with his memories, on the other hand, he restrains himself to the point that he's totally average in everything he does...usually. He still acts like a total weirdo sometimes, but as the characters in Shells have proven, he's not exactly the only one. And while it would be difficult to genuinely piss him off, if someone did manage to do it, I'm sure they would quickly find themselves facing the wrath of some truly epic cheating...(He may choose not to use his powers, but that doesn't mean he severs his access to them.)

Im just a friendly person. As for Duam his art and storys are the only ones that Ive been so attached to that ive had dreams about them. (Mmmmm....) So forever he will be snuggly to me. God or no god.

hehe.. <3

But I do love snuggles from everyone.

Me too. In fact, my secret shame--if it could be called that--is that almost every time I have daydreamed about Ishara, I've chosen to be an Angel. Often a sappy, childish, and even innocent one. I've also played as an angel who was basically a turbo-voraphile, and often one evolves into the next, but you know how it is...

My last "character" was Caerun, a redheaded summer daisy with a half-demonette, half-mimic girlfriend named Jasper. (She's so cute.) My jaunts with her ended when I encountered a previously unknown phenomena in Faneglut called a Shadow Wind which apparently is just a huge gaggle of ghosts. Angels are immortal in body, but not in soul, so I got digested for good--at least, in that form. I was reborn back in Brightwind as a half-Clover, meaning I was suddenly half Jasper's size and I come up to my caremistress' knee. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that arrangement as such, but it was pointed out that I fed myself to people every other day anyway, and clovers pop right back up after they're eaten, so maybe it was an even trade.

The weirdest thing is that, once it was established that Caerun was dead and gone, she appeared in my head with the rest of the "crew" that constitute the inner council of my mind, as it were. She even brought Saccharine and Arandra with her.

I said something like "I'm you, and you're dead."

And she said something like "Angel bodies reincarnate, and your soul went to a different body. So I'm Caerun now."

And the weird thing is it didn't actually feel weird at all.

It makes the ready room in my mind pretty crowded; with everyone accounted for, there's Captain Picard, Riker, Geordi LaForge, and Data (they come as a set; part of the price of using their ready room, I suppose), Worf (who showed up on the same day Caerun did), G'kar, Morpheus, the four guys from Herman's Head (Fear, Lust, Intellect, and Sensitivity, though the first two have deviated significantly from those roles), Quark (another recent addition, though I only see him either in his bar or on this balcony on Bajor that I sometimes visit), Kinter and her daughter Kinder (named after Kinter's late sister), Miss Sara, Shanto (an alien of a type I made up), the computer (only recently brought back online after we realized we hadn't used the damn thing in years), the omnipotence circuit, and me. So that was, what, 16 people to introduce her to? That's not counting the guys that come and go like Hook (as played by Dustin Hoffman).

Not that I usually talk to them all at once. They all sort of show up as needed, or when we're discussing something of interest to them. Miss Sara usually shows up when my brain is fucked, for example. In matters of philosophy, it is common for G'kar and Morpheus to be present.

Caerun and company came to fill a niche I realized my brain didn't have; some friends to just screw around with. (And have sex with, if Saccharine has anything to say about it.) My connections to the others--particularly G'kar and Morpheus--are quite strong, but also rather somber. G'kar himself pointed out that he probably smiles and laughs more than anyone else in my head, and that "that is truly sad." My mental siblings--the original inhabitants of my brain that I used to just play and goof off with--are mysteriously absent and I can't bring them back. What is left of them is in "me."

Okay, I sort of went off topic there. I can't help it! I get started on a tangent and my brain splurges until I realize it's two in the morning!

But yes. There will be more chapters. Many more.
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Revx_Z » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am

The following was intended to be an April Fools. I had the great idea of collaging some sort of Shells cover, printing it out, and pretending that I had gotten a preorder and that Shells was now on sale. When I mentioned it to Duamutef, he thought it was fun enough that he made a serious cover. Unfortunately, my attempts at printing and binding it onto a real book went really badly; here's the best pic I managed to get after printing and binding twice and taken half a dozen pics:

(Click for full size)
(backup link)

Not really good enough quality to trick people with. So, yeah, happy belated April Fools, here's hoping Duamutef keeps on with the writing goodness, and that Shells eventually is published for real.
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Duamutef » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:54 pm

I am still writing (wrote some last night, some the night before, some the night before that...) It'd be really cool if I could actually show this to people, but the whole vore thing might remain a problem...
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Duamutef's Dimension