Reasons getting out of a video game mentality matters

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Reasons getting out of a video game mentality matters

Postby Varysoir » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:57 am

Need to preface by saying most the rp here is very good and it is a good community and toxic people are very, very rare, and many people starting out pick things up fairly fast.If more people read the rules and guidelines this'd be entirely redundant but sadly, it is an internet mentality to say you've read if you didn't.

There is even in non-erotic rp it is common for people trying to use video game logic in roleplay to be very annoying. even more annoying is emulating fallout, skyrim etc. i mean games in that the point of them seems to be to be a dick to people. there are thrill killers and robbers and so on, but they tend to be smarter than typical stuff in said games.

Okay so first, most important, even if a lot of vore rp involves characters trying to do stuff to other characters seeing them as a target or a victim, etc, then the characters are trying to beat each other, the players aren't. On rare occassions some people do act as if they're trying to "beat" the other and it gets pretty obnoxious.

Speaking of people are going to try to end up being devoured regardless. Kind of defeats the purpose of approaching someone to not be devoured. So basically like, they're not trying, ooc, to stop your character from consuming theirs. In fact they are doing this scene for a purpose of their character being devoured. So if you asspull like some stuff that makes no sense your character can do, or blatant cheating, it takes people out of the scene to be frank.

In a competitive video game, preventing your opponent from being able to do stuff may be considered good; if your character in erotic rp conveniently pulls out a perfect solution to everything their prey is doing to escape, again, annoying and easily leads to abandoned scenes.

Another issue caused by video game mentality is some kind of ego thing, as in "this character is supposed to be pred only, as I am really good at Final Fantasy 14 though so I could easily take them I'm sure." No, if people are insistant on a given character not being devoured it is not going to be happening.

Speaking of, in games you need to do stuff and anything the goal may be, you don't need to do anything in response to being attacked, usually. But this attitude does make for powergaming, godmoding and other things as in, you never even have your character demonstrate any sign of taking hits, then people can be ticked off. Understandably, ticking people off is another reason that results in abandoned scenes.

Another thing is in many video game communities the community ends up be reduced to toxic mindsets and backically lack respect for each other, I mean on this site you're supposed to be courteous to people in chat (it's even in the rules). So does not need mentioning that sure, acting toxic to people like a competitive video gamer person is only going to lead to people refusing to be involved.

Providing some an arbitrary stat system and then giving your character max stats in said system you made up doesn't change anything either because providing arbitrary numbers does not force people to do stuff you desire in rp; any can put numbers on their profile.

Speaking of not being a video game, in scenes most often, things happen if people accept they happened, not as result of merely being put in text. Providing some posts that necessitate everyone involved standing staring as your character say, pockets binoculars and assembles a rifle and loads it and fires it at people - in a videog game that can take like 2 seconds, in an rp scene aiming for some degree of suspension of disbelief, yeah, people are going to be able to interrupt you doing that. People usually don't do stuff to be lorded over, and i mean the guidelines do pretty much say to avoid godmoding/powergaming.

On preciousness, it gets a bit silly. you being a fan of some videogame, tv series or movie character does not mean, because you consider them badass, that everyone else is okay about getting their characters beaten up by said characters.

Fight scenes are an odd thing. prey trying to resist is fine but i mean fight scenes that are combat only and for one thing sometimes people try to start, usually from people recently arriving and they for some reason need to prove that their character is badass despite that being entirely unnecessary. But thing is, because fight scenes are very big risk of turning into massive arguments of the players. If becoming an ego thing, involving people insisting their characters are super badass, excluding an unlikely possibility that one says "actually yes your badass character is better than my badass character" then it is going to end badly.

I mean fan alts are fine or most of the community. But your interest or your opinion of some character being very badass does not give anyone any compulsion to get beaten up by said character. People do often put a fair bit of effort into making characters and "being badass" is not often considered an important one, especcially because, it isn't a fighting site so say if someone is under no obligation to make characters of a kind that may fight Son Goku or example, you putting "[[character name] can totally beat up Son Goku" in your character profile does not make our character better than characters that "aren't badass" or anything. Again, anyone can post sentences in their profile.

Fight scenes generally can only be good if handled using maturity and respectfulness to all involved characters, another reason if you've arrived and attempt to fight people, they'd refuse.

Okay so another thing is some kind of mmo attitude. so in some cases some it is some kind of person or people that try to engineer scenes on others, as if the characters are standing around in the open and it is possible to lead people into each other rp. i don't mean group scenes, i mean a person or people behaving as if they can make people not currently doing a scene to put on a scene as they behave as audience. sure, in an mmo you can lead bears into places people may attack them. that isn't usually a thing that can be happening here.

In summary? I see 11 things involving either cheating or simply being a jerk, 11 things that can be easily avoided by not treating erotic roleplay as a video game. Seems something to remember important to mention for those starting up. and for the rare toxic players that never see this problem,
Varysoir
Somewhat familiar

Re: Reasons getting out of a video game mentality matters

Postby KnightleyPaine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 am

I had to rewrite this reply a few times because it was hard to understand your point due to specifically using 'video game mentality', which is a term I definitely have different associations with. I think what you mean is tying ego to character and playing with a competitive mindset. If you go all out in a thumb war vs a 4 year old, video games isn't the first thing I think about in a vacuum.

That being said, there is a time and place for including technical combat, possibly with the inclusion of a ruleset or at least some pretense of a semblance of one, use of dice, and the idea of it being open-ended. If two people want that, I don't care what they're doing.

I can also see this being a thing about public rooms. Some people consider public play to have a level of canon in terms of public consciousness; if someone envision their character as a badass I guess I can understand for them trying to act it when eyes are on them and no discussion having taken place on an encounter. Public play usually lacks guarantees, I recommend whispering backdoor negotiations if you really want it to go somewhere specific or even just make sure that person actually has time.

Outside of those realms, yeah, 'playing' to win is dumb. The reason is very practical; if someone is prey, they didn't come for preds to faff about and then not eat them. There's usually an understanding that the narrative is going somewhere, and you're writing to get there together. I get struggle or some need to show off your character can be a want along the way, but explain that clearly in the setup phase or indicate it clearly on your profile if that's meant to be extensive, or you'll end up confusing the roleplayer as to what you want.
KnightleyPaine
Participator

Postby coop500 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:24 am

OMG this like, SPEAKS to me! I never understood why people would approach me for roleplay, as prey, but then pull all this crazy shit out of their asses that makes NO sense and even flat out remove themselves from the story! I'm like... O.O weren't you the prey?

I even have to flat out ask people in OOC like hey uh... did you not want to roleplay anymore or? And they like, totally forgot that this isn't a battle royale or whatever, but an actual roleplay lol. I had people LITERALLY write themselves out of the scene, like their character would just pull all this stuff out of their ass and entirely escape the scene and they're like... 'Oh... I didn't even realize I did that?'

I could never understand it, but you put it into good words here. It's a mentality where they just... can't lose? Or they don't want to 'lose'? But IMO vore roleplay isn't about winning or losing, it's a STORY.

So yeah I have met these competitive, PVP style thinkers in vore roleplay and it's so weird and jarring. Prey with more magical abilities than most people's predators? Like? Wut?

Nowadays I refuse to even try to nom a prey that's armed or has powers, I'm just so tired of that mentality of forcing this... like, PVP style gameplay on me just so we can have a fluffy nom that I THOUGHT we both OOC wanted. I hate playing PVP in video games and avoid it like the plague, so I certainly don't want it when I am just looking to write a fluffy story with someone.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Rumor » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:46 am

Not 100% sure I understand your point since it's... kinda rambly and a bit all over the place? I'm guessing the gist of it is "competitive players in unwilling scenes" trying to win even though they're supposed to "lose". Which, if I'm right, I tend to not have much a problem with myself. But then again, I primarily play willing scenes in private so that tends to not be a problem. Even in unwilling scenes though, there's usually enough power vacuum where the prey couldn't feasibly resist or we're using something like dice to determine who wins. Or, if not, if I'm the prey in such a scenario, I'll usually hold back to make it work. Like, say, my main OC, who is also my avatar right now, can set himself on fire. But he'll only do that in an unwilling scene if the predator can handle it.

I guess my opposite problem would be in an unwilling scene with me as a prey and whatever struggles or resisting I do is straight up ignored. Ends up making me feel less like a RP partner or character and more like an object.

But yeah, it's really more people with a competitive mindset and/or not considering their partner's interests and the like for the scene. Or trying to be hard set on whatever character concept they got regardless of whether it's fun or works for the scene rather than being flexible. I dunno how feasible it is in public play, but I'd definitely recommend talking things over in OOC about "who is stronger" if it'd be relevant to the scene and it's not clear when comparing profiles. And if someone still reaches into hammerspace and pulls out an explosive dagger laced with cyanide and stabs you with it then, to be blunt, is that person really worth playing with?
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby TheVenusFlytrap » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 pm

I'm not sure I'll answer right, so please don't blame me too hard, but I guess video games are a mirror of our society in general. It seems that competitive mindset can be found in many places outside video games. And ego is definitely not something a teenager builds by playing only video games. It's more, I'm not a psychologist though, through interaction with other people. You know, small digression, even in 2021, it's still hard for a young boy to be told that he has feminine traits, and to accept that. So we definitely have an overall educational - civilizational environment that still strives on creating differences, comparisons upon which the ego is built up, being consoled to feel better than someone else, even unconsciously. We are still inside a society dominated by a male experience, which is very objective oriented and toward performances. I don't know if you've a job, but you'll see how metrics invade our daily lives, even teachers need to "measure" something from their students to have at least an objective way of tracing progress. The same thing, metrics are generated in our workplaces to determine how efficient we become, and we tend to align so that we maximize these metrics.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that video games (and you mention only video games with results, and objectives, but they are many where there's no ending at all, and you as a player determine when you're satisfied, and when you've reached your own objectives) reflect this behavioral pattern in our society. So that doesn't bode well, because teenagers are "trained" to become competitive later in their adulthood. The other things is that video games rely on formal machines. Mathematics. So you have to instruct the code how to behaves depending on a situation. What happens if the player asks the character to do something that wasn't coded in the video game? The matrix freezes right? So, no matter how you deal with these formal systems, you have to "prune" the tree of possible events, and forbid the player from doing whatever would be deemed original. Maybe, with machine learning, we would have a machine that's able to determine what to do next with unexpected situations. But that's not the case yet. So unless you play video games that don't have an end, you see that fatally, you have to play with limited options. Even with RP, trying to "recover" from an unexpected situation raised by a prey can become difficult, if as the master you didn't expect this specific outcome. The problem I see is that the goal is clear. And any deviation from the goal jeopardizes the story itself. While it shouldn't be dramatic itself, it may be difficult to accept. So I guess the RP is doomed by the very same flaw as video games, is that you cannot enter to a realm the designer hadn't imagined, without threatening the world they had imagined. And exploring a world now that the goal is unreachable may be cool for people who are not result oriented, but can lead to stress to others who want a goal. Simply put, it may sometimes become a non-vore RP.

That brings me to my point. Young adults really start their life now, and we cannot blame them to know only what they got during their teenagehood. Many of them don't have yet mortgages, families, responsibilities. Their only reference is the imaginary world they spent their time in, and that includes video games. Maturing and discovering the true self is something that can happen later, or never for some. So, sadly, I can only say it's life, and you've to find the people who share at this present instant, the same views in life as you, and it's hard to find partners who'll share the same expectations. And I've learned the hard way that for some people, winning is important, losing an objective leads to frustration, and I have to accept that.
TheVenusFlytrap
Been posting for a bit

Postby soline » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 pm

coop500 wrote:OMG this like, SPEAKS to me! I never understood why people would approach me for roleplay, as prey, but then pull all this crazy shit out of their asses that makes NO sense and even flat out remove themselves from the story! I'm like... O.O weren't you the prey?

I even have to flat out ask people in OOC like hey uh... did you not want to roleplay anymore or? And they like, totally forgot that this isn't a battle royale or whatever, but an actual roleplay lol. I had people LITERALLY write themselves out of the scene, like their character would just pull all this stuff out of their ass and entirely escape the scene and they're like... 'Oh... I didn't even realize I did that?'

I could never understand it, but you put it into good words here. It's a mentality where they just... can't lose? Or they don't want to 'lose'? But IMO vore roleplay isn't about winning or losing, it's a STORY.

So yeah I have met these competitive, PVP style thinkers in vore roleplay and it's so weird and jarring. Prey with more magical abilities than most people's predators? Like? Wut?

Nowadays I refuse to even try to nom a prey that's armed or has powers, I'm just so tired of that mentality of forcing this... like, PVP style gameplay on me just so we can have a fluffy nom that I THOUGHT we both OOC wanted. I hate playing PVP in video games and avoid it like the plague, so I certainly don't want it when I am just looking to write a fluffy story with someone.

You're not alone!

I haven't RP'd in a long while but when I did I pretty much categorically avoided any profile that featured weaponry, armaments, super-powers, anime-powers etc because it was almost a given they'd pull them out to 'escape' in some way. I remember years someone playing 'prey' approached me and then a few posts in started talking in-character about how they had hidden knives to just cut out and could teleport or just rewind time etc; I had to give up and drop the play to ask like...you approached me to get ate. Do you now not want to get ate?

I'm not sure it's 'video game mentality' or even competitive pvp style mentality because there's never really a 'contest', they aren't trying to 'prove they won' they're just not playing the same game, I've literally had (immediately ending) RP's where the guy just "Kylo-manlyman pulls his head out of your mouth and glares"...okaaaay. It's just a lack of communication (that I think borders on actively deceitful), they just want to play out a power fantasy and either forget to explain that, or don't care that you're...y'know, looking to play out a vore fantasy cuz Eka's.

It definitely seems to lean more heavily into male anime characters too. If I spot a worgen whose description mentions his fetishistic love of his battleaxe 'Ronald' I'm inclined to think it's probably just flavourtext for the WoW setting and said axe probably won't ever make an appearance. If I spot an elf/boy in Final-Fantasy clothes and a big trenchcoat and the description mentions his massive sword and teleporting powers I'm just going to assume he'll definitely want to use said sword and teleporting to 'win'.
soline
---

Postby NightRoller » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 pm

Certainly some things to keep in mind, even as a non-rp'er.

A lot of us never learned (and might never learn) how to properly RP; there isn't typically a dedicated class or guideline of "this is the basics of how to do it", or there weren't when I looked several years ago. Unfortunately, even as such resources become available, it's difficult for some of us to even enjoy RP'ing; however, I think I got a better idea of what it is and most definitely is not by reading this thread, so I'm thankful to those who posted here.
We live in a culture of addictions. What's yours?
NightRoller
Somewhat familiar

Postby KnightleyPaine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 pm

soline wrote:I haven't RP'd in a long while but when I did I pretty much categorically avoided any profile that featured weaponry, armaments, super-powers, anime-powers etc because it was almost a given they'd pull them out to 'escape' in some way.

[...]

It definitely seems to lean more heavily into male anime characters too.

Hey now, there's how people build profiles and how people behave. Why is it every time the art style you don't favor is where the bad mans are? Is this how racial profiling starts?

Anyways, I recall about close to a decade ago when we weren't in the current chat version yet and the hate of the day was 'everyone being part of that one family' and 'too many yoshis', there was this sentiment that you're supposed to be 'interesting' and that involved one shouldn't be 'just' a boring human (as if being an omnipotent dragon-sue or the same bland person but with fur solved the problem or something) and a whole lot more people than necessary took that to mean the issue is fixed if the human had like... FIRE POWERS.

This could literally be Dungeons & Dragons and I wouldn't count that as a personality, but I guess there's this misconception of 'be more than tits' means 'okay, tits, but also iaijutsu swordsmanship and can channel chakra for space and time jutsu'. That in and by itself has never been the problem, the problem has always been confusing faffing about for 'story'.
KnightleyPaine
Participator

Postby Tassie » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 pm

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this is what happened to me.
I tried RP a long, long time ago, and it felt so wrong, it was like being a NPC in a video game, and being forced to do things I didn't want to do.

Between that and a few other really gross things I never wanted to come back. Now I don't have time, even if I wanted to.
Tassie
Participator

Postby Bigfatpiggy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 am

> DMing Dungeons & Dragons.
> Player wants to attack a guard.
> Rolls for attack.
> Misses.
> *Surprised pikachu face when the guard arrests him.*
> But I missed!
> Bitch this isn't Skyrim...
Bigfatpiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Artemis » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:34 am

Totally not evil wizard: "Just kill him."
Me: "--But this orc just fought for us. He put his life on the line. We can save him."
Totally not evil wizard: "He'd be better off dead."
Me: "I'm a trained medic and healer I can save this man."
Totally not evil wizard: "But what if you just... didn't?"
Me: "...I want to save this man."
Totally not evil wizard: "But hear me out. What if--"
Me: "Stop."
Totally not evil wizard: "What if we just leave him here--"
Me: "This is messed up. It literally costs us nothing to try."
Totally not evil wizard: "To die."
Me: "Seriously no."
Totally not evil wizard: "...It'd make the wagon lighter if we didn't have to carry him."
Me: "..................................................After we get back to town, you're on your own. I refuse to work with you any longer."
Totally not evil wizard's player: *Surprised Pikachu face*

And that is how we kicked a player out of the party without even having to ask the DM. Writing is an underappreciated art and I'm grateful every time I find someone who can write something I enjoy reading. Personally it's shonen logic that annoys me more than video game logic, but I guess that's just a matter of frequency.
Artemis
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:52 am

soline wrote:
coop500 wrote:OMG this like, SPEAKS to me! I never understood why people would approach me for roleplay, as prey, but then pull all this crazy shit out of their asses that makes NO sense and even flat out remove themselves from the story! I'm like... O.O weren't you the prey?

You're not alone!

I haven't RP'd in a long while but when I did I pretty much categorically avoided any profile that featured weaponry, armaments, super-powers, anime-powers etc because it was almost a given they'd pull them out to 'escape' in some way. I remember years someone playing 'prey' approached me and then a few posts in started talking in-character about how they had hidden knives to just cut out and could teleport or just rewind time etc; I had to give up and drop the play to ask like...you approached me to get ate. Do you now not want to get ate?

I'm not sure it's 'video game mentality' or even competitive pvp style mentality because there's never really a 'contest', they aren't trying to 'prove they won' they're just not playing the same game, I've literally had (immediately ending) RP's where the guy just "Kylo-manlyman pulls his head out of your mouth and glares"...okaaaay. It's just a lack of communication (that I think borders on actively deceitful), they just want to play out a power fantasy and either forget to explain that, or don't care that you're...y'know, looking to play out a vore fantasy cuz Eka's.

It definitely seems to lean more heavily into male anime characters too. If I spot a worgen whose description mentions his fetishistic love of his battleaxe 'Ronald' I'm inclined to think it's probably just flavourtext for the WoW setting and said axe probably won't ever make an appearance. If I spot an elf/boy in Final-Fantasy clothes and a big trenchcoat and the description mentions his massive sword and teleporting powers I'm just going to assume he'll definitely want to use said sword and teleporting to 'win'.

Hahah yeah, I am happy to see I am not the only one that 'reads' profiles like that. Sadly I am more into cute prey, so it does bum me out that it's usually the cute prey that pulls BS like this. I had it happen with female characters too (probably male players though but IDK).

Whatever the reason, it really sucks when you FINALLY find a good prey and they.... do that to you.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Randomdude5 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:07 am

I have been wanting to get into vore RPing for awhile and I have wondered that when I start RPing if I might do something like this because I have no RP experience and have not even played DnD. When I play pc RPGs I min max stats and gear and mostly ignore the story. Since I am not dealing with game mechanics there are no need to build characters around play styles so this means I do not have any ideas for RP characters that I want to play as because everything feels too generic or special snowflake.
Whatever it is, I didn't do it.
Randomdude5
Participator

Postby Rumor » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:35 pm

Randomdude5 wrote:I have been wanting to get into vore RPing for awhile and I have wondered that when I start RPing if I might do something like this because I have no RP experience and have not even played DnD. When I play pc RPGs I min max stats and gear and mostly ignore the story. Since I am not dealing with game mechanics there are no need to build characters around play styles so this means I do not have any ideas for RP characters that I want to play as because everything feels too generic or special snowflake.

Honestly, you don't "make a too generic or a special snowflake". You play one. The ordinary girl attending college can be quite fun and interesting to play with if the other player knows what they're doing while that guy over there with the most unique backstory and abilities ever has less personality than a sack of potatoes. But really, the only way to get better at roleplaying is to... well... roleplay. Okay, maybe not quite since writing also can help a lot too and is a good way to practice without impacting other players, but writing isn't quite the same as roleplaying still. Also, when in doubt, speak OOC to your partner to clarify or asks things. I've done a ton of RP over the years and even I still sometimes don't quite understand what my partner is expecting/wanting from a certain action and I gotta ask.

Other than that, just put yourself in your character's mind and just try to act and decide as they would rather than you. (Takes practice, admittedly!) And make sure you create characters that match the kind of goal you're seeking. If you're looking to be a subby prey, being a heavily armed space marine whose missile launchers have missile launchers prooooobably isn't the right choice. Also, double check the person's profile and sliders (Eka's) or kinks list (Flist) to see how they might want to be approached, if you're approaching someone, and deeeefinitely don't proposition them with something you wouldn't say to someone in the real world as your greeting unless their profile explicitly says they want you to do that.

Also, this is purely in my opinion and others may disagree, even strongly, but the only character archetype I'd suggest not making is the "generic high school/college guy who keeps getting eaten by girls." At least with myself and a lot of my friends, that type of character is associated with bad players and it's been true 95% of the time in our experience. Some people actually do really enjoy playing predator to that type of character, but there's definitely some baggage with the archetype as far as I can see and I always sigh when yet another one approaches my female characters with a "can u eat me?" or the like. If really want one though, make one, but I'd suggest making some other options too to keep yourself flexible.

And sorry to anyone upset at the generalizing there but... well... I can really only speak from experience.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby TaciturnTiger » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:37 pm

Insofar as treating vore RPs like a game to be won, I can't say I've witnessed that. Not sure if this makes sense for other points made on this thread, but here goes...?

In all fairness, I find not enough characters with weapons, powers, et cetera are preds sometimes. Honestly, why put all of those onto prey characters if they aren't supposed to fail against a predator character? I personally get having such weird abilities though, even more combat-related ones, as that's the kind of thing I enjoy myself. You can't have a D&D-themed character or whatever without having that sort of stuff. But it's limiting when many preds don't have them, and redundant for dedicated prey characters (if not in general). Heck, I'm sure Kailindrea's sheer list of abilities on Eka's Chat are partly done to say "I am not prey as this character; don't even try IC if you're not prepared to lose, or expect me to continue".

For every character I've used, both here and elsewhere, my rule on their powers go as such -- "These abilities are fun for me, but entirely optional". I've slapped that on every Magic slider between Eka's Chat and Vulpine Hollow, let alone what little I'd fussed with aside from those two (F-List, Furcadia, et cetera). Many times I wind up re-imagining my OCs for settings that aren't fantastical when roleplaying with others. I guess my point is that giving characters powers isn't immediately a red flag, but entirely how they're used. Besides, a prey character who is intended to lose, even with the ability to fight back, can be fun. But posting thoroughly about how a professional soldier / assassin / blaster-caster wizard / et cetera can't be touched, but making them exclusively prey, is mind-boggling to me.

That said, keep your veritable game stats easy to understand. These days I don't give extensive explanations of powers. It's basically "fire manipulation, minor self-healing" for Raziya on VH. That's it. Gets the point across, keeping me honest on what she can do without writing a vignette.
TaciturnTiger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Varysoir » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:49 pm

Rumor wrote:Not 100% sure I understand your point since it's... kinda rambly and a bit all over the place? I'm guessing the gist of it is "competitive players in unwilling scenes" trying to win even though they're supposed to "lose".

Like, say, my main OC, who is also my avatar right now, can set himself on fire. But he'll only do that in an unwilling scene if the predator can handle it.

I guess my opposite problem would be in an unwilling scene with me as a prey and whatever struggles or resisting I do is straight up ignored. Ends up making me feel less like a RP partner or character and more like an object.

response to listed points in order:

Both that, and preds that insist of, instead of their strengths, plain outdoing the prey in all respects. David vs Goliath-type stories can be fun, though generally the "David" of the scenario isn't supposed to grab the "Goliath" of the situation by the face and toss them like a baseball and punt their face repeatedly and... point is, there are means of taking out someone "stronger" and because someone is a sub does not mean to the effort to say "lol my character is so superior to yours" is kind of disrespectful. 3rd thing is preds that are "so badass" they can devour other pred-only characters... in their mind, of course the players of said preds aren't accepting it but these "badass" pred players act like they've got a right to do so.

Very true - i even mentioned this as one point but it did as you said get rambly, but like, 11 points or so, so...

3rd point, i agree, if preds never react to the prey's efforts to escape are incredibly frustrating.
Last edited by Varysoir on Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varysoir
Somewhat familiar

Postby Thagrahn » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:02 pm

Since I have played D&D alongside video games, there have been lot of limits to digital games that have always felt off.

I try to do my RP with a mix of three mind sets. "I am writing a story with someone", "I can be fluid on my actions such as with non-combat D&D", and "As a pred, I am more DM than Player".

Video games are generally combat centered, and the Player is generally over powered. In tabletop, the term "Min-Max Murderhobo" refers to building a character purely for being over powered and combat centered, andthat mindset doesn't work with the fact that Pred-prey interactions are defined more by skill and wit than who is stronger.

That said, I have had my fair share of people who think RP means Video games. Doesn't matter if vore, sexual, or PG focused, the video game mindset that have rise to "Min-Max Murderhobos" ruins RP that is meant to be story driven.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Varysoir » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:11 pm

TaciturnTiger wrote:IYou can't have a D&D-themed character or whatever without having that sort of stuff. But it's limiting when many preds don't have them, and redundant for dedicated prey characters (if not in general).

it can be done fine, i been on both sides of having deities devoured by fairly normal individuals and frankly it usually comes to said deities being oblivious to being in a state of being in danger.
Varysoir
Somewhat familiar

Postby Skittles209 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 pm

Problem is probably in translation. For instance I can understand coding and math and english in terms of literature but against someone who was practically known binary at heart or anything of that caliber in math and literature. I get lost and have no idea what I am doing. If this makes no sense, that is kinda the point.

Some people understand characters better in 'video game' terms. Others in other ways. Sometimes a character labelled as 6' or centimeters or meters makes me wish it were in game terms because I don't want to think about size difference. But that is my problem.

Your problem seems to be that non-erotic role players borrow concepts from something else. Which isn't something anyone could provide an answer for aside from mentioning it to the other party or having it posted on whatever characters page you use? If not all of them. Or I am missing something. Didn't have time to formulate a correct answer at the time.
Skittles209
Participator

Return to Our chat room