Rather oddly specific RP requirement question

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Rather oddly specific RP requirement question

Postby viper9001 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 am

So, basically I've seen a few seeking RP threads during my time on here and they all seem fine and completely understandable in terms of what they are demanding from anyone interested in being their partner. That is until, you read the person lists as a /requirement/, some cases I've seen, over 2000 words (Not characters, mind you) per post.

Don't get me wrong, I like long RP responses and great detail as much as the next person. However, at least in my opinion, I guess I feel like having over 1000 words as your bare minimum of a requirement seems a bit absurd? I suppose the point of this post is to determine if anyone out there agrees with me or if I'm looking at this wrongly. Secondly, does anyone have any experiences where they've successfully gotten a partner with this as a requirement? I'm genuinely curious if people take up the offer with such a specific, large, and imo outlandish requirement. And if so, how has it worked out for you?
viper9001
New to the forum

Re: Rather oddly specific RP requirement question

Postby Tassie » Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 am

Maybe this is a creepy way of finding writers to write stories for them?

I write, but I don't RP any more. I don't write RP, and I don't RP writing. This does sound absurd.
There has to be a mistake in this request, else, this request is a mistake, one way or another.
Tassie
Participator

Postby Tebomas » Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 am

Sounds like the length of most stories here, but not RPs. Even though I've seen several times requests like multiple paragraphs per post.
Tebomas
Somewhat familiar

Postby Shadowslayer » Sat May 18, 2019 5:03 am

viper9001 wrote:So, basically I've seen a few seeking RP threads during my time on here and they all seem fine and completely understandable in terms of what they are demanding from anyone interested in being their partner. That is until, you read the person lists as a /requirement/, some cases I've seen, over 2000 words (Not characters, mind you) per post.

Don't get me wrong, I like long RP responses and great detail as much as the next person. However, at least in my opinion, I guess I feel like having over 1000 words as your bare minimum of a requirement seems a bit absurd? I suppose the point of this post is to determine if anyone out there agrees with me or if I'm looking at this wrongly. Secondly, does anyone have any experiences where they've successfully gotten a partner with this as a requirement? I'm genuinely curious if people take up the offer with such a specific, large, and imo outlandish requirement. And if so, how has it worked out for you?

There's nothing particularly absurd about it, while I tend to revolve around the 2500 (characters, not words) range, I've made posts as long as 1200 (words, not characters).

Some people roleplay a miniature novella-style, complete with characters that exist in a world, the setting of the scenario, their less-than-sexual thoughts/actions/emotions/reactions/intent/methodology, and you have longer posts that establish the characters as individuals, not merely warm holes or piles of nutrients.

Frankly I come at it from the other side of things - I think it's absurd that people make short (1-2 sentence) posts that are supposed to have any real impact; they don't describe anything at all.
Shadowslayer
Been posting for a bit

Postby Gendor » Sat May 18, 2019 9:20 am

Considering where I come from the start (MMO roleplaying where tiny actions have to contantly be checked with everyone as fething courtesy) I can barely see myself doing more than perhaps a handful of actions and maybe talking, depending on the set up. Usually at points where I am just to go on and on I even then take pauses to make sure nobody is falling asleep or getting bored waiting for a reply.

To me a minimum would be a serious action or something said every post beyond "Oh, Ok", and ideas of over 500 words is sounding somewhat unreasonable. But only because of how I roleplay, doing things beyond that would require controlling multiple characters at once or God moding the scene entirely.
I suppose I can also see a point of filling out space with descriptive words, but even that has a limit to where it's just word soup.

Sure, it can annoy me when I find someone who I share an interest but they demand novellas in replies, but it's better than it used to be when in the middle of a scene it came up, and out of spite I simply went to Wikipedia, clicked a random page and Copy+pasted random facts in the middle of the post.
To say the least, it was a lawless time...! >.>
Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
Gendor
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Amethyst91 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 am

IDK about 2000 words, but I know my preference for roleplays is a post or two a day, with a good few paragraphs exchanged on each. I appreciate there's plenty of people that like a quickfire chat based roleplay, and if that was how it was sent, you know like discord or WhatsApp or something, then it's a different story entirely.

Personally I feel like you know when someone is expecting a lengthy reply because they put time and effort into seeding their message with plenty of things to reply to - there's no point expecting someone to write you an essay if you're only giving them a fortune cookie's worth of info. It's a feedback loop!

Having said that I don't personally hold to the minimum word count idea. I think if you're roleplaying with someone and you're on the same wavelength, you know what is acceptable and expected. You know if you're letting the side down with a response. But then if you can eloquently get the delicious details across in less words but with more implied meaning then it's no fun having to break it all up and insert meaningless chunks in to hit a count.

TLDR: speaking as someone who enjoys a long PM, if you limit the way someone can respond then all you're really doing is limiting the quality of their response :)
Last edited by Amethyst91 on Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amethyst91
New to the forum

Postby Aleph-Null » Sat May 18, 2019 11:07 am

In my experience with forum based RPGs with multiple people, word length can get up there. However, it is odd to set a minimum. 2000 may be a typo, or it may be there to scare off people who write one liners.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby sweetladyamy » Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am

There's a word for this, it's called being verbose.

Inherently, there's nothing wrong with this, but it does become problematic when it is little more than literature soup.

So, being concise (something I struggle with myself lol) is a good thing, though it definitely has the potential for being vague.

I myself never have these requirements because it's too much to expect; you never know if your RP partner is wanting to RP at any given time but is far too out of it for whatever reason and can barely post a response to keep things going. I'm not saying those that have this requirement are inherently unrealistic (you know-you do you), but they should be flexible for things going on that can affect ability to meet that requirement without fail.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby viper9001 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Shadowslayer wrote:
viper9001 wrote:So, basically I've seen a few seeking RP threads during my time on here and they all seem fine and completely understandable in terms of what they are demanding from anyone interested in being their partner. That is until, you read the person lists as a /requirement/, some cases I've seen, over 2000 words (Not characters, mind you) per post.

There's nothing particularly absurd about it, while I tend to revolve around the 2500 (characters, not words) range, I've made posts as long as 1200 (words, not characters).

Some people roleplay a miniature novella-style, complete with characters that exist in a world, the setting of the scenario, their less-than-sexual thoughts/actions/emotions/reactions/intent/methodology, and you have longer posts that establish the characters as individuals, not merely warm holes or piles of nutrients.

Frankly I come at it from the other side of things - I think it's absurd that people make short (1-2 sentence) posts that are supposed to have any real impact; they don't describe anything at all.

Oh yes, I too think it's absurd for people to make such short responses. I suppose the absurdity, at least from my point of view, is the very specific amount of words required. Like it makes me wonder if "What would happen if the person only responded with 1000 words?" I absolutely adore long responses and I usually try to describe everything I do in an RP in upmost detail, but I suppose, at least in a seeking RP thread, having such a high requirement for even the entry fee to get to roleplay with the person is odd. Wanting detailed responses, again, is completely fine. But 1500-2000 word requirements are more than a novel page in some cases and I guess unless the person is legitimately writing a book with the other person, I do not see how this amount of depth is constantly maintainable. Sure, some posts might range in 2000+ words, but I suppose I find it very hard to believe that every single post is going to be like that.
viper9001
New to the forum

Postby viper9001 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Amethyst91 wrote:IDK about 2000 words, but I know my preference for roleplays is a post or two a day, with a good few paragraphs exchanged on each. I appreciate there's plenty of people that like a quickfire chat based roleplay, and if that was how it was sent, you know like discord or WhatsApp or something, then it's a different story entirely.

Personally I feel like you know when someone is expecting a lengthy reply because they put time and effort into seeding their message with plenty of things to reply to - there's no point expecting someone to write you an essay if you're only giving them a fortune cookie's worth of info. It's a feedback loop!

Having said that I don't personally hold to the minimum word count idea. I think if you're roleplaying with someone and you're on the same wavelength, you know what is acceptable and expected. You know if you're letting the side down with a response. But then if you can eloquently get the delicious details across in less words but with more implied meaning then it's no fun having to break it all up and insert meaningless chunks in to hit a count.

TLDR: speaking as someone who enjoys a long PM, if you limit the way someone can respond then all you're really doing is limiting the quality of their response :)

Exactly! What you've said basically summarizes my confusion and reason why I posted this thread, as someone who very much loves long and in-depth interaction. Part of it is also, this has happened a few times, where I'm looking through the seeking RP thread and I find someone that has a bunch of stuff I'm interested in. Whether it be a cool character or plot concept, then I get to the requirement portion and I see something like: "Must respond with at least 1000 words per response" and I immediately just go "oh, well. Guess I'll have to keep looking." I don't like there being a set limit on how much I can respond. If the person I'm writing with provides me with detail, I can provide detail to back it up so on and so forth. However, just the thought of: "oh man I gotta have at least another x amount of words in here somehow or they might stop roleplaying with me, even though my response has as much detail as I can muster" would stress me out so much lol. I do roleplay to, well, not have to feel like I'm writing a college essay with a word requirement every time.
viper9001
New to the forum

Postby viper9001 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Tassie wrote:Maybe this is a creepy way of finding writers to write stories for them?

I write, but I don't RP any more. I don't write RP, and I don't RP writing. This does sound absurd.
There has to be a mistake in this request, else, this request is a mistake, one way or another.

The worst part is that it isn't a request even. In all of the cases I've seen it is a pure 100% requirement that these conditions are met and finally after seeing a couple more threads with such, it made me post about it out of sheer curiosity. Like it makes me wonder if they're really 100% serious and they legit won't think about roleplaying with you unless you meet their word minimum.

I feel like in RP in general having such a very specific requirement is certainly absurd as well man.
viper9001
New to the forum

Postby viper9001 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:03 pm

sweetladyamy wrote:There's a word for this, it's called being verbose.

Inherently, there's nothing wrong with this, but it does become problematic when it is little more than literature soup.

So, being concise (something I struggle with myself lol) is a good thing, though it definitely has the potential for being vague.

I myself never have these requirements because it's too much to expect; you never know if your RP partner is wanting to RP at any given time but is far too out of it for whatever reason and can barely post a response to keep things going. I'm not saying those that have this requirement are inherently unrealistic (you know-you do you), but they should be flexible for things going on that can affect ability to meet that requirement without fail.

Oh yes, I can very much agree! There's nothing wrong with setting these requirements, of course, people are allowed to do whatever they wish. You make a very fair point with your last statement though, it's the fact that at least to me, it displays a lack of flexibility and that is a major turn-off. I do appreciate your clarification on the topic, though, never really spoken to other RP people on here, so this entire thread has been very interesting. I am glad I'm not in the wrong here for thinking having such as a requirement is a bit weird, I'm also equally relieved that it doesn't seem as common as I thought.
viper9001
New to the forum

Postby LucifersChef » Sun May 19, 2019 12:37 am

Oh yes, I too think it's absurd for people to make such short responses. I suppose the absurdity, at least from my point of view, is the very specific amount of words required. Like it makes me wonder if "What would happen if the person only responded with 1000 words?"

I have in fact had someone yell at me for sending them 900 words when they sent 1000 words the post before. And then they proceeded to block me.
]
LucifersChef
Participator

Postby Noxyoursox » Sun May 19, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm currently a college student and even our teachers don't require that kind of word count unless we're given a week or two to produce it. An RP is supposed to have a lot of back and forth, but that seems really difficult to do when responses take so long to write (and for that matter, it encourages people to form bad RP habits like taking over the other person's character to keep the story moving). I could see a preference for 2-3 paragraphs (depending on how long you write paragraphs), but if the requirements are not flexible enough to let you do what the story needs then it's not going to be a good RP.
Noxyoursox
Participator

Postby Rendezvore » Sun May 19, 2019 8:59 pm

I write as much as I feel like writing. I let the partner write as much as they feel like writing. I don't expect responses in a particular time frame (cause I certainly can't with real life issues and medical stuff) and a word count requirement would be an obligation, rather than a fun pastime.

Similar to the "long-term partner" requirement. I get it, you're not looking for a one-off, but long-term character interaction doesn't just happen because you want it to. It often springs from a friendship or as you write together and things start to really click. Usually works better if ya ease into it. >.>

One to two liners are not a bad thing in all cases! There may be several of them in the beginning of an RP as you both get past the initial awkwardness and learn each other's writing patterns and the characters get to know each other. I do not require anyone to match me in post length, cause I can get pretty verbose when getting into the zone with world building and character emotion. Sometimes that's just atmosphere or side characters the partner doesn't need to interact with directly, only the parts that affect their character personally, so I am perfectly aware their response may be waaay shorter than mine at first. As long as there is something I can work off of, post length doesn't matter to me and this usually encourages the other person to feel more confident to start writing longer posts, anyway, so I see no point in fighting it.

As a story progresses, the pace changes. It tends to get longer as you start to inspire and bounce off each other, adding in more characters, or having many more things happening at once. Then it might go shorter for a time, even down to the one and two liners again, while the characters have a back-and-forth conversation, a comedic moment, or something unexpected happens! So for these reasons, I would never force a word count or it would feel fake and there would be a serious lack of flooow.
Rendezvore
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Shadowslayer » Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 pm

viper9001 wrote:
Shadowslayer wrote:

Oh yes, I too think it's absurd for people to make such short responses. I suppose the absurdity, at least from my point of view, is the very specific amount of words required. Like it makes me wonder if "What would happen if the person only responded with 1000 words?" I absolutely adore long responses and I usually try to describe everything I do in an RP in upmost detail, but I suppose, at least in a seeking RP thread, having such a high requirement for even the entry fee to get to roleplay with the person is odd. Wanting detailed responses, again, is completely fine. But 1500-2000 word requirements are more than a novel page in some cases and I guess unless the person is legitimately writing a book with the other person, I do not see how this amount of depth is constantly maintainable. Sure, some posts might range in 2000+ words, but I suppose I find it very hard to believe that every single post is going to be like that.

Well that's why I don't have a word requirement, while I look for an average of 2000 characters (which tends to be around 500-600 words depending on length of those words) I'm comfortable with a more casual 1500 characters or a more serious 2500-3000 characters based on setting and intent (certain kinks naturally demand more, cannibalism/graphic hard vore writ realistically tends to involve heavier content than soft vore, for example!).

It's not a requirement for the sake of having a requirement; it's that I've found the type of roleplay I enjoy and the detail and immersion/portrayal of characters that I enjoy even for vanilla kinks simply is not met if my partner falls very far below 1500 characters a post, it is already stretched at that point, given that it's a full 25% lower than my desired average.

When you asked "what if someone only writes 1000"; that's answered by the "what if someone only writes 1500 characters?" It's okay to an extent. Anything lower isn't a full established scene, it's dabbling with closer friends in something casual and ultimately meaningless that we don't necessarily expect to amount to anything or matter; and only because they've proven to be exceptionally good or dedicated writers already, and even then it's limited.

It only takes someone experienced with typing 10-15 minutes to actually write those 2000~ characters without rushing the content unless we're doing something else (by mutual agreement usually) in the downtime.

I will agree with you that if I were asking for 2000 WORDS it would be ridiculous, writing an entire short story for someone is not roleplay.
Shadowslayer
Been posting for a bit

Return to Our chat room