Backstory length preference?

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

What is your preferred backstory length for characters?

None, I just like to get straight to RP without having to look at anything except for the sliders.
10%
Short, I just want to get straight to RP without having to read.
10%
Medium, I like characters that are fleshed out a bit but I don't want to have to read for 20 minutes.
62%
Long, I like characters who are very fleshed out and thought out and I don't mind reading to see what they are all about.
5%
No preference, I do not care how short or long profiles are, I try to treat them all equally.
14%

Total votes : 21

Backstory length preference?

Postby skullcrusheramk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am

A simple question, out of the options what is your preferred backstory length for any characters.

After your choice I would appreciate leaving a comment for more in depth feedback, such as how many lines you would consider your choice.
skullcrusheramk
New to the forum

Re: Backstory length preference?

Postby ArcaneSigil » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 am

I used to be a fan of the long, thought out, in depth backstory for characters. It let me learn about them long before we ever started an RP. Who were their past partners, if any? What did they used to do with their lives, if anything? Just general information. Get to learn about them a bit before really getting into it. Now? I wanna know who their partners were, what happened to them, and how, if possible, I can avoid their fate. Though I normally don't RP fatal. My characters are not usable for fatal scenarios. Usually.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby Vidofinir » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am

I prefer profiles on the short side, but not because I'm too lazy or uninterested to read a bulk of words. Backstory can be great to set up a character and show why they are who they are, or it can be a bunch of facts that are never going to influence the character's actions in a scene. It's not bad to have some amount of story available to read, but I'm far more interested in the character's personality if I'm looking to be enticed into playing with someone, and a lot of facts and history don't necessarily build that.

I tend to think a few paragraphs do plenty, being enough to gauge interest without too much padding, and still leaving some things to figure out when you're chatting or playing with the person.
Vidofinir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Length isn't as important as it making sense and not being full of edge
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Crash » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 am

I usually do a paragraph of backstory, unless there's some action that needs to be thrown in right away, then usually it's two.. I usually it is a good long paragraph too
Crash
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Rumor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm

I usually make my profiles around three to seven paragraphs total, trending towards the shorter end of that spectrum. I feel it's about enough detail to get someone's interest, give them an idea of what to expect, and help jog scene ideas without giving an overbearing amount of information. And I kinda prefer other profiles to be about the same. Super short profiles often leave me unable to work out anything more than basic ideas if I approach them while long ones tend to be full of stuff that'll never matter in a scene.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Return to Our chat room