What are the rules about franchise characters?

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

What are the rules about franchise characters?

Postby VelveteenDreams » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:57 am

Specifically, I want to know what the rules are about making characters that exist in the media, including on youtube and such. Is there like a sort of "Exposure Threshold" in which the limit is defined between when a character is still an OC and when they are an established character to a franchise? Maybe based on number of appearances outside private accessibility or the length of exposure in a certain format? What is the line between fan representation and plain plagiarism? Does character stealing only apply to original characters from Eka's or the vore community? If it doesn't just apply there, then are OC's that became incorporated into an established canon still protected under this clause, such as Me-Mow or Mrs. Mayhem? Can a creator of an established work like Disney sue us for creating characters in the chatroom based on such franchises??? I think these are rules that need to be defined, they are pretty vague on what's possible for chatroom personas.
~Respect Everybody~
VelveteenDreams
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: What are the rules about franchise characters?

Postby blergle » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:22 am

People have been role-playing published characters in online chatrooms for decades. Back in the day (meaning the 1990s), when AOL's role-playing setting was in its heyday, you could not walk into the Red Dragon Inn without meeting three Gokus, a Doctor Who, at least one Ninja Turtle, several Disney princesses and Lestat. Seriously, it's just so common that I wouldn't worry.
blergle
---

Postby VelveteenDreams » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:43 am

blergle wrote:People have been role-playing published characters in online chatrooms for decades. Back in the day (meaning the 1990s), when AOL's role-playing setting was in its heyday, you could not walk into the Red Dragon Inn without meeting three Gokus, a Doctor Who, at least one Ninja Turtle, several Disney princesses and Lestat. Seriously, it's just so common that I wouldn't worry.

Well that doesn't quite answer all my questions.
~Respect Everybody~
VelveteenDreams
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Rumor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 am

Theoretically, the creators of copywritten characters and material could sue or send cease and desist notices to anyone roleplaying their character. But they don't, because targeting roleplayers and fan fiction writers is a poor use of time and money. Not to mention, causes a lot of backlash, so it's not worth the PR hit either. And this applies to ALL characters, fan characters or original. Once you create something, you legally own it. For example, I legally own the contents of this post, though by posting it here, I am granting Eka's distribution rights via displaying it here where you can read it.

Now, nobody's going to stop you from playing a character established in media. Though if you copy OCs, people will throw a hissy fit, so don't do that.

And if that doesn't answer then... clarify please?
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby VelveteenDreams » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 am

Rumor wrote:Theoretically, the creators of copywritten characters and material could sue or send cease and desist notices to anyone roleplaying their character. But they don't, because targeting roleplayers and fan fiction writers is a poor use of time and money. Not to mention, causes a lot of backlash, so it's not worth the PR hit either. And this applies to ALL characters, fan characters or original. Once you create something, you legally own it. For example, I legally own the contents of this post, though by posting it here, I am granting Eka's distribution rights via displaying it here where you can read it.

Now, nobody's going to stop you from playing a character established in media. Though if you copy OCs, people will throw a hissy fit, so don't do that.

And if that doesn't answer then... clarify please?

Characters that are technically still OC's even though they appear in respective medium?
~Respect Everybody~
VelveteenDreams
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:35 pm

I think they are talking about popular OCs, not TV show/Game characters, but I could be wrong.

Either way I have no idea how to answer, I am not too in the know about it and usually don't mess with other people's OCs, just few select characters from shows/games/movies, which I assumed was okay since I never heard of anyone else getting into trouble, as long as you don't claim you created the character.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Cygni » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Disney wouldn't touch anything related to fetishes with a 49 1/2 ft pole. Grinch reference!
Cygni
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Rumor » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Xenenderson11 wrote:Characters that are technically still OC's even though they appear in respective medium?

Well, if you want to get really technical, all characters are originally OCs.

But to actually answer that's a bit of a gray area. If you're in doubt though, best not to make a fan version of that character. Also, you're probably more likely to get called out by someone at random if you make a fan version of a well known character.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby VelveteenDreams » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Rumor wrote:
Xenenderson11 wrote:Characters that are technically still OC's even though they appear in respective medium?

Well, if you want to get really technical, all characters are originally OCs.

But to actually answer that's a bit of a gray area. If you're in doubt though, best not to make a fan version of that character. Also, you're probably more likely to get called out by someone at random if you make a fan version of a well known character.

Like......?
~Respect Everybody~
VelveteenDreams
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Seelane » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:08 pm

If you don't want to take chance use characters from the public domain exp:Sherlock Holmes, almost all of Disney characters(Disney only have Mickey mouse and a few others that are OC, they almost always use public domain character...) and etc...
Full list:http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/elderfingolfin/lists/best-public-domain-characters/18883/
Seelane
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby blergle » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:54 pm

As far as I have ever known, "OC" refers to a character that is the creation of the player or writer or artist, and being used by them, as opposed to characters that came from published, popularly known works. I.e. Harry Potter is not an OC unless Ms. Rowling is playing him in a chatroom and then he's *her* OC. My characters that I've made for my own role-playing world are *my* OCs but if I ever put them into a graphic novel and published it and then someone else decided to play their interpretation, they would no longer be OCs in that context. Is that what you meant?
blergle
---

Postby Rumor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Xenenderson11 wrote:
Like......?

Off the top of my head, Christy, the blue and yellow kitsune, is well known around the community and appears in a lot of art. Well known enough I wouldn't be surprised if some people tried to make fan versions of her. However, she's still the player's OC, so probably safe not to do something like that with her, nor use her art for an unrelated character.

Beyond that for Youtubers and stuff, I don't know any since none of the YouTubers I watch have OCs and I don't follow any web comics or what not.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby Shardhhajain23 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 am

human beings had been role-playing posted characters in online chatrooms for many years. returned inside the day (that means the Nineteen Nineties), when AOL's position-gambling setting turned into in its heyday, you couldn't stroll into the red Dragon inn with out meeting three Gokus, a health practitioner Who, at the least one Ninja Turtle, numerous Disney princesses and Lestat. critically, it is simply so commonplace that I would not worry.
Shardhhajain23
New to the forum

Postby Jayezox » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

blergle wrote:People have been role-playing published characters in online chatrooms for decades. Back in the day (meaning the 1990s), when AOL's role-playing setting was in its heyday, you could not walk into the Red Dragon Inn without meeting three Gokus, a Doctor Who, at least one Ninja Turtle, several Disney princesses and Lestat. Seriously, it's just so common that I wouldn't worry.

Shardhhajain23 wrote:human beings had been role-playing posted characters in online chatrooms for many years. returned inside the day (that means the Nineteen Nineties), when AOL's position-gambling setting turned into in its heyday, you couldn't stroll into the red Dragon inn with out meeting three Gokus, a health practitioner Who, at the least one Ninja Turtle, numerous Disney princesses and Lestat. critically, it is simply so commonplace that I would not worry.

What the? Is some Google Translate bot stealing posts just to necro a copyright thread? The irony.
Jayezox
---

Postby masterofvore1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Jayezox wrote:

Shardhhajain23 wrote:human beings had been role-playing posted characters in online chatrooms for many years. returned inside the day (that means the Nineteen Nineties), when AOL's position-gambling setting turned into in its heyday, you couldn't stroll into the red Dragon inn with out meeting three Gokus, a health practitioner Who, at the least one Ninja Turtle, numerous Disney princesses and Lestat. critically, it is simply so commonplace that I would not worry.

What the? Is some Google Translate bot stealing posts just to necro a copyright thread? The irony.

ahahah and the text was already in English, it looks like they translated it to another language and back ,when they wouldn't have needed to. why?
masterofvore1
---

Postby coop500 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:33 am

Only thing I can think of is they had to translate it first to read it and for some reason instead of copying the original they translated it back
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Return to Our chat room