Poll: Why such low numbers in the Roleplay room?

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Why do you think the RP room occupancy is so low since the beginning of the new chat?

Bad RP'ers
20%
Too many distractions, too much going on!
10%
People are afraid or ashamed to allow others to see what they're posting
19%
Afraid of others joining in uninvited
14%
People are too picky
10%
Things get too ridiculous and non-vorish in there
15%
People are afraid of being jumped on by multiple preys
11%

Total votes : 191

Poll: Why such low numbers in the Roleplay room?

Postby Kobra » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 pm

I have not seen this topic, so I'm going to post it.

Prior to the migration to the new chat, the numbers of people in the Roleplay Room were at least several dozen. Now, it's in the upper twenties, on a good day. I'm curious to know what the big change is

It's true, some people prefer private over public, but there seems to be more to it than that, so it will not be listed in the poll.
It could be that some people prefer to see only the people they're roleplaying with
There is a possibility that others are ashamed to show how they RP, or they are good but don't want people to see?
Afraid someone might jump in uninvited without asking. ( there are ways to correct that too)
Afraid of multiple prey characters jumping on you at once?

What is the reason you think fewer people use that room?
More importantly, what do you think could be done to improve the situation, to make it more comfortable for others to role-play publicly again?
Last edited by Kobra on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmph! Hmmllm? Mhp Mmm MuHHHH! HMMMMP
* Umm hello? LET ME OUT!!!!!** HELP!!!
Kobra
---

Re: Why such low numbers in the Roleplay room?

Postby knifesmile » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:08 pm

TBH my reasons are more like, I'm not sure how to jump in without being invited, and I've sometimes gone and hung around, but without knowing anyone it's hard to get involved so I usually end up just wandering off again. I'd love to RP there but I'm just not sure how to get started. Far from being afraid of multiple preys jumping at me, I'm not sure how to find prey interested in the same stuff I am other than profile browsing and crossing my fingers.
knifesmile
Somewhat familiar

Postby AlluringPredation » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 pm

The activity in the rp room has always been quite low, the reason the usercount of the rp room is down from before migration is because you no longer have to be in the RP/OOC to put up your LFRP type tags. And so people lurk in the library without getting distracted from other's rp or risk misswhispers.

The other reasons are very valid as to why people don't rp altogether in other's view.
Discord for artists and those who commission them! https://discord.com/invite/F3UDqqAx53
AlluringPredation
Participator

Postby XDDX » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Never got involved in it, pretty much same as above. I only used it occasionally with people from here when we couldn't figure out a different way to talk lol.
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:03 pm

I personally believe the decrease in number since new chat comes solely from the fact you can now have LFRP tags in the library.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:10 pm

It's no longer the first room in the list when you log on ?

The first (default) room is OOC and unless you deliberately want to be there, I suspect most now make a conscious decision about being somewhere different.

I would have offered this to the poll, but it wasn't an option on offer :)

F.
Frank
Been posting for a bit

Postby DrCaius » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:27 pm

post deleted
Last edited by DrCaius on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrCaius
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jamjo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Honestly I've come across a few who wanna rp there but I just can't figure that damn place out. As in I don't even know how to contact the people on that site for starting a role-play. I'm probably not the only one who can't quite figure out that place either.
Jamjo
Participator

Postby knifesmile » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:40 am

I'm very experienced, myself, and it doesn't help. It's still a new community for me where I'm a stranger. There are unwritten social rules in any established group, and I don't know them, so I'm afraid to act for fear of breaking one and pissing people off. I hate angering people unintentionally. (BTW, just want to say that not all of us 'older' RPers are unwilling to RP with less experienced people.)
knifesmile
Somewhat familiar

Postby LucifersChef » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 am

I generally just use the library now. Due to the ability for LFRP tags to work properly there now.
]
LucifersChef
Participator

Postby Kobra » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Frank wrote:It's no longer the first room in the list when you log on ?

The first (default) room is OOC and unless you deliberately want to be there, I suspect most now make a conscious decision about being somewhere different.

I would have offered this to the poll, but it wasn't an option on offer :)

F.

I hadn't really though about it.... I should have.
Kobra
---

Postby Kobra » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:29 pm

The last reason seems to be a big part of it.
What I will say is that there is at least one advantage of public play. It gives newer users a better understanding, ( provided they're not too hasty) to learn how things go around here, how others post and a better idea of how to put together posts. I personally don't mind interactions with multiple characters. Looking at the poll so far, I'm quite surprised " Bad RP'ers" got as many votes as it did. Certainly wasn't my vote. Sure there are some people who could stand to brush up on spelling and grammar, but some of these people are very descriptive and can convey good ideas, and still make it fun, and that's all I really need when it comes right down to the nitty-gritty. Sure they could use a little smoothing out, but aren't most gems rough at first? The definition of bad and poor can vary from person to person across a different situations.
I'm
I'm not surprised however, the seventh and last option got as many votes as it did, so far. This doesn't surprise me, and it probably happens a lot more in private. But let's define the phrase 'being jumped on' and this is a problem that is usually faced by predators most of the time. It's not just being approached by characters in public IC, and you have to understand that's simply the tip of the iceberg. However, this too can be a problem in the library It is often that one predator may get three or more people bombarding them with requests for RP. And I can see how it can be a problem. And that can be a problem, but sometimes you can't blame the prey either, because one person may not be aware that two or three more are asking for RP as well. That will be another topic for another time though. Speaking of time, there is no time limit for this poll and your choices don't have to be permanent. With knowledge of the problem often comes possibilities of solutions. I simply made it so perhaps people both new and experienced can know why things work the way they do. But at the end of the day, I know I'm just here to have fun, and hopefully, any potential RP partner will too. Maybe after a while, activity will pick up, but I'm not sure. It is what it is.
Kobra
---

Re: Poll: Why such low numbers in the Roleplay room?

Postby sansuki » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't go there because when I did go there, I could never get any interest. So I stopped trying. :)
sansuki
---

Postby Benthehusky » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:16 pm

I'd say it is a mixture of things, from people who don't want others to see their RPs and most likely the fact that before people couldn't put up their status in the library like before so it was only natural for a migration after the updates.
Benthehusky
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aces » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:22 pm

I'd argue it's how badly the community treats people these days.

I don't visit the chat anymore because I'm sick of seeing the constant fighting. For a brief time I had the bright idea to involve myself by trying to show everyone how meaningless the arguments were. That just made things worse.

This could be resolved with a few moderators, but I don't see moderators doing their jobs anymore. I PM moderators if they're on (key word: if) and usually get ignored. It's not like I'm someone who bitches often, either. I know the admins don't hate me or whatever, but a lot of players sure feel that way.

The chat room is toxic. I don't go there anymore. No one wants to RP outside their cliques and gets offended whenever their hug box of friends is challenged by an outsider.

The chat's players are outright hostile to new players who aren't as skilled, and it's caused a negative flow of players, because as old players leave, new players don't join. The chat room is dying, basically. If the trend continues, it'll stop seeing visitors entirely.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Rumor » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:50 pm

Aside from me just in general not wanting to RP kink play in public, three unlisted reasons on the poll for me are...

1) It's usually dominated by a select group of people. Maybe not so much anymore, I dunno since I stay in the Library. But, often, if any of those people were on, playing in public meant playing with them or nobody, because they'd make sure everyone playing in public was playing with them. So, if your interests didn't match up with those people, you just didn't get to comfortably play in public.

2) Getting ignored. A lot of other times I'd be hanging around making sort of "Hey, I'm here, play with me please!" IC posts of my character just lazing around or whatever. I have A LOT more success approaching people privately and for a lot less work rather than spending five minutes typing up a decent IC post every ten-twenty minutes or however long depending on the speed/flow of the chat at the time to let people know I exist and am available for play but still get nothing.

3) Seeing my squicks getting played publicly. Now, I'm not kink shaming, if people like that stuff, more power to them. But playing in public either meant putting people on ignore (who I might like to play with otherwise) or deal with their text on the screen of things I really don't enjoy. Granted, being LFRP in there and not participating in the public play has a similar issue, but thankfully I don't need to LFRP in the public room anymore.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby tuc1357 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:21 pm

I know this is necroing, but I just gotta voice this. I've been on a RP hiatus for a long while now, and just now recently got back into it with a new character. It was very dismaying to discover a vibrant thriving room that regularly hit 70+ characters present now barely clocks in at 7 on a saturday. I used to love this place, being a melting pot of all sorts of different characters, fandoms, universes. You could get some good plots and stories going as well as engaging in vore RPs. Now, it's just sad. What happened to it? And more importantly, how can this be fixed?
tuc1357
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eka » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:29 pm

The roleplay room number count has always been artificially increased by rule manipulation. It was done intentionally to make sure all the rooms are balanced. See here for a fairly lengthy explanation.

Most of the rules that was made to try encourage Strictly IC roleplay room is now gone. However, that doesn't mean the activity has changed. In fact, we see no measurable different in activity all these years, including after new chat is in place earlier this year. Most people we "lost" in the roleplay room were just lurkers anyways.

coop500 wrote:I personally believe the decrease in number since new chat comes solely from the fact you can now have LFRP tags in the library.

LucifersChef wrote:I generally just use the library now. Due to the ability for LFRP tags to work properly there now.

Pretty much exactly this. Yes. Biggest changes. It was done in 2011 to promote the Roleplay room, prior to 2011, the roleplay room is pretty much exactly how it is now.

What I am saying is. What you are seeing now is not unusual. In fact, it has always been like this. Not just on this site neither. Traditionally, this is the same with large majority of the roleplay sites out there that has mixed ooc and purely ic set up. The ic room are generally significantly less populated. All of these has been covered many times in the past and I feel like more discussion on those are pointless.

how can this be fixed?

I guess the important part to discuss is whether we should go back to the old rule to artificially boost the lurker count in the roleplay room, or do something else to encourage public roleplay in the purely ic room. Should this be fixed? Or is this an actual problem at all in the first place? I personally don't think it is actually a problem because after a few months of measuring. Activity didn't actually increase. Those lurkers that we lost never actually participated in the roleplay room anyways.

The lower count certainly feel more lonely and discouraging though. That is definitely true.
Eka
Administrator

Postby acrylic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:55 pm

The vore room acts as rp room + ooc room.
So theres no reason to use rp room and thats my opinion.
acrylic
Participator

Postby KnightleyPaine » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Back on track here. As a longtime observer of said room, my impression is a mix of cliques of regulars no longer showing, cliques of troublemakers who were also active being gone, and that LFRP sign works in the Library, thus one can put up LFRP there without having to watch the drivel of OOCW cliques and Vore Room cliques, which previously was possible only in the RP room because everything that happens in there is purely just roleplay.

My bias against room exceptionalism and cliques aside, the RP room used to be a room you cannot be called out in, and allows the LFRP sign. Nobody can just address you in public without you choosing to be there. Also, considering my impression of it's community and individuals it has lost the following:

-Lurkers, moved to Library
-Some regulars, who seemed commonly out of place when the rest of the room kept thinking 'walls of text' was somehow wrong, moved to Library.
-Some regulars who played quite liberally because they thrive on getting attention or potential attention, with less people, that isn't as given, no longer regular because they often butt heads with quality demands which has raised over the years.

But that's just my personal observation, compare to other observations to find average perception.
KnightleyPaine
Participator

Next

Return to Our chat room