Poll: Why such low numbers in the Roleplay room?

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Why do you think the RP room occupancy is so low since the beginning of the new chat?

Bad RP'ers
20%
Too many distractions, too much going on!
10%
People are afraid or ashamed to allow others to see what they're posting
19%
Afraid of others joining in uninvited
14%
People are too picky
10%
Things get too ridiculous and non-vorish in there
15%
People are afraid of being jumped on by multiple preys
11%

Total votes : 191

Re: Poll: Why such low numbers in the Roleplay room?

Postby tuc1357 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Maybe. I'm not privy to the analysis data the admins get. It's just that it came as something of a shock to me seeing the much shorter character list. And maybe I've got some rose colored glasses on. Either way, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I do feel the room could use some more activity, but I agree that artificially inflating the numbers wouldn't work. Maybe there could be public events held in the Roleplay room or something. Something that people could participate in, ICly. The first thing that comes to mind is the mods or something hosting festivals of some sort on specific days. It'd be a chance for new players to try out the Roleplay room, and mingle some with the old hats. Friendships and/or rivalries could be forged among the characters.
tuc1357
Somewhat familiar

Postby nyttyn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:13 pm

I'd like to preface this post by saying I"m not trying to be mean here, just realistic.

Inevitably the roleplay room just won't be popular for a fairly simple reason: there's no barrier to entry. People like to pick and choose their RP partners, and you simply have no garuntee of anything in a public RP - not of your partner's race, sex, kinks, or even (and especially) quality. RP can be a several hour thing, and you don't want to spend that time with someone you won't enjoy.

Frankly speaking, even on niche chats where you can be garunteed of what your audeince is (for example, I moderate a Touhou room on another site that has both a OOC and IC room), you will find that the OOC room is always more popular by far, with RP being taken either to PMs or done in the OOC room, as the IC room will always get a stigmata (and usually rightfully so) for having bad roleplayers or incidents that sour people away from it.

This is just an unsolvable problem, unless people want to put in some sort of barrier to entry for the IC room. RP just takes too long and is too much of a personal thing, especially with something like vore, for a public RP room to work for most people. Especially since the IC room has, frankly, really bad public RPs most of the time - it's not exactly inspiring for the muse to see a whole bunch of misspelled/poorly formatted one-liners.
nyttyn
Participator

Postby feedermouse » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Maybe it has to do with the very aggressive hostility and abuse towards male characters / players.

It isn't fun or encouraging to be told to "kill yourself " "die" or "fuck off" when you are trying to talk to someone for the first time or being called a "idiot" and other abusive names.

It also isn't fun to be told to "go to hell" when you ask someone what you did wrong or ask for hints and tips on how to improve your rp interactions.
feedermouse
New to the forum

Postby hernextmeal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:20 pm

feedermouse wrote:Maybe it has to do with the very aggressive hostility and abuse towards male characters / players.

It isn't fun or encouraging to be told to "kill yourself " "die" or "fuck off" when you are trying to talk to someone for the first time or being called a "idiot" and other abusive names.

It also isn't fun to be told to "go to hell" when you ask someone what you did wrong or ask for hints and tips on how to improve your rp interactions.

As much as it wouldn't surprise me that this happens in private RPs in the library, I've never seen that kind of behaviour in the Roleplay room. If it has either way, report it.

But realistically, if you're not open to F/F you're going to have a lot less of a pleasant time in the chat than otherwise due to the stigmas around both male prey and male preds, though I'm not going to say it's a hostility towards males because males, because it's two different stigmas.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby vore2412 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Main thing about the Roleplay room is that there aren't what are considered people usually doing good roleplays in there, they are few and far between, those that do are often asked to RP by multiple people and get driven off by endless solicitous requests or else there is just too much goofiness going on in there to keep track of for any serious RP to really be done as used to sometimes occur in there. I've played in there once or twice under different alts, but its began to lack in quality of players that go there so I often go the library and play there...also, to note, since the group chats have come about, that is something else that will decrease the number of players in the roleplay room, since people will make a group chat and they'll be able to see all their posts but no one else. Just my opinions. There have been exceptional male characters and players in there, and yes, I know the chat has a hx of people that aren't F/F being told to go fuck off and find somewhere else, tremendously rude in my opinion. But in total, Eka's chat is dying, and while I play there and enjoy it most the times, I'm not necessarily convinced that's a bad thing.
vore2412
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Shirehorse7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I try to be more active, but it never works, so usually I just hang out in the library with the LFRP symbol on and hope to have some luck with someone finding my character interesting and fun.
Shirehorse7
Somewhat familiar

Postby Duskthewolfcub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 am

In my opinion i think half the problem is that most of the group rp's is more of a fucking tabletop game than an actual rp in recent days which discourages people who dont like there outcomes of basic actions to be decided by a dice roll
Duskthewolfcub
---

Postby Fyr3 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm

I haven't been on long, but in my brief experience. In the RP room I seem to get left unnoticed a lot. I can hit the library and it seems 9/10 times if I set myself to "Open" or even moreso "Pred" I'll get about 4 whispers within 5 minutes. I like to use the public room though, as I have met several interesting people that I probably wouldn't have approached myself. Although same can be said about the library. the flipside is when there's multiple RP's going especially with verbose posts it can can get crazy, fast.

I haven't had experience with problematic people, as it seems everyone I've met thus far is cool if you address them OOC through whispers.

I really think it's a population issue. I mean, there can be easily over 100 people in the library whilst there's like 12 people in the RP room and most of em have their status as 'away'. This may be due to a lack of comfort with others seeing whatever, personally I'm comfortable with my anonymity although there are some themes I won't do in public chat and that could also be an important factor in who's public.
Fyr3
Somewhat familiar

Postby Indighost » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:04 pm

As a public-only roleplayer, I used to play at Eka's, but every time I come back to check on the public scene in the Eka's chat, it's full of extremely loud, very rapid, 1-2 word, ESL posts, which severely discourages public play. It's a culture of very fast posts and it doesn't fit my play style so I play at F-List vore rooms.

* Too much off topic, for lack of a better word, shitposting

* Not enough people committed to making good posts

* Not enough furries in general

It could be fixed with good moderation but unfortunately I don't have enough free time to work on vore projects and moderate a rp room :/
Indighost
---

Postby Lyanna » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Two reasons for me. One of them is that a lot of the RP there has historically been of very low quality. The other is that it's much harder to see who is in other rooms so it's just easier to stay in the library or vore room.
Lyanna
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Siuddithsi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:54 pm

I can only speak for myself, but generally it doesn't fit my likes. I've found that many of my likes (nonfatal, male preds, non-furry preds/prey (prefer humanoid or insectoid), sex and long term plot driven RPs) are barely shared by enough to generate interest in a forum RP, so I haven't even checked the chat room. If there's a big interest I've missed, let me know & I'll check it out.
Siuddithsi
---

Postby Four_Spears » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:10 am

Eka wrote:The lower count certainly feel more lonely and discouraging though. That is definitely true.

Agreed, but If I stop being lazy and get back to what I said I would, maybe there might be an uptick. (I just wish my mood wouldnt so often take a hit on completion.)

Eka wrote:I guess the important part to discuss is whether we should go back to the old rule to artificially boost the lurker count in the roleplay room, or do something else to encourage public roleplay in the purely ic room.

Personally, I'd rather not. I'm positive if we give it more time, things will turn around soon enough.
Four_Spears
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sherlockbones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 pm

It's hard to find people who are into the same stuff as me, so I guess I wouldn't really have a good time in the chat anyways
My F-List for those interested in RPing with me: https://www.f-list.net/c/nanni%20nakoto
sherlockbones
New to the forum

Previous

Return to Our chat room