Content warnings in profiles.

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Content warnings in profiles.

Postby Siorche » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:04 am

Okay so, I've run across it a few times while browsing profiles. I am not a easily squicked person, I'm thoroughly desensitized by years of being on the internet.

But even then sometimes when I click profiles I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, I was considering putting this in the real life photos topic but wasn't sure it fit the bill quite entirely.
As i regularly browse the chatroom i see profile to profile, see profiles linking other profiles, hopping to and fro. Most people have the decency to tag "warning, scat ahead" images and the like, and/or gore. But a profile or two i've seen once or twice lacks any actual text, and is..er..just a gif of someone pooping. While I'm well aware this is the internet and thats someones fetish, I don't exactly want to stumble upon ...that, so i was wondering several things.

A. Am I being too easily squicked from that?

B. What are peoples thoughts on Gore/Scat/Various other warnings whether it be NSFW or whatnot be put into profiles as a sort of rule, or should it just be unspoken courtesy thing?

C. Should those profiles be reported or something? I don't want to be a tattletale or something, but a text-less profile with naught but a gif is kinda 'you had no idea' and I opened a whole bag of surprise usually.
Siorche
Worst Final Boss
Worst Final Boss

Re: Content warnings in profiles.

Postby fcantu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:35 am

It's a bit worthy to respond to this, but I'll simply respond with three quick points
1: You aren't the only one, and it's easy to understand the uneasy feeling. After all, Poops of nowhere is not a nice surprise at times.
2: Warnings are good. Though it does feel it would be more of a courtesy thing than an ACTUAL rule. Since I feel issues would occur otherwise.
3: And... I dun feel they would be reported, or really be blamed for it. Yeah they kind of spook people, but at the same time, it's not a COMPLETELY "bad reportable" thing.

Either way. It's worth discussing, sooo...yeh
fcantu
New to the forum

Postby masterofvore1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:47 am

I like how much freedom is given in creating profiles. it would be harder if there was a long list (i.e. don't do this particular fetish, but that one's ok because people usually like it).
that said, there should be some indication that the person intends to have that on their page. ofc not for very many things, because other wise you'd have to click through a warning for all the non-basic profiles.
but something in between,something balanced if we can generally agree on what is considered "extreme content"- so that we're not blocking it out right, nor making "lesser"(I put in quotes because for each person it can be different) content annoying to view on a site where such things are expected
masterofvore1
---

Postby Vidofinir » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:00 am

It's a hard thing to judge, I find. While I like many extreme things that would offend others (not necessarily to the point of wanting to see them plastered over profiles), I can be more squicked by images of blatant nudity and so forth. Understandably I'm the minority in being bugged by that, but it becomes impossible to know exactly what to avoid posting, and what you should be wary of clicking.

Generally you can get a good idea if a profile's pictures are going to offend you from the text around them, but if such a picture is right at the top, it's hard to avoid seeing it x.x Perhaps the solution would be an option in the chat to hide images in a spoiler until clicked? It's not ideal if the pictures have no indication of content, but it means that anyone that doesn't like to see certain things doesn't have to without warning, regardless of what those things are. I think that would be the best solution.
Vidofinir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby DrippingMeal » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:44 am

Perhaps a simple icon next to the persons name indicating if this profile contains 'extreme' content like gore/scat etc. Something small but noticeable, so you know before you click but it wouldn't look dumb next to your name. Similar to flagging mature content on Tumblr, you know before you click the blog weather it contains mature content or not. (Or maybe it doesn't do that, I haven't been on Tumblr for awhile.) But that's just my two cents. ^^
DrippingMeal
Somewhat familiar

Postby blergle » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:30 am

I think that a little warning would be nice. I don't think you're being too sensitive...vore is a separate fetish from scat/watersports, even if they can be easily linked and are quite often. If you wanted to see that you'd be on a scat site. :)
blergle
---

Postby DangZerglings » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 am

I have never or at least rarely seen anything that would seem "objectionable" beyond general nudity, bukakke or other stuff on profiles. The worst I've seen is a picture of a girl farting on another, but extreme stuff is hard to come by unless you're unlucky enough to find a permavore-partaking player.
Lilysse (Nights of Azure): I will always love you...
===============
Because willing lesbians and nonfatality need far, far more love in vore.
DangZerglings
Somewhat familiar

Location: Watching a girl eat another girl with her pussy and possibly letting her out a half hour later

Postby SinfullyHungry » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:37 am

Okay, first - poop is the worst you've run into? You mustn't get around much. There is much "worse" (a subjective quality anyway) on this site, never mind the wider net.

a) Now, to clear up this, I assume you mean when this type of stuff is being put on the direct profile? I personally think it'd be better off people not doing that, but peoples profiles are their own. In addition, the 'most viewed' thing while editable, is generally not modified by people so they haven't dictated what is being displayed there.

b) NSFW is the most stupid statement. Not Safe For Work? Sorry but Eka's is not a website you should be visiting at work anyway. Or in a public place. It's a fetish website, and the community that is into vore as a non-erotic thing is much smaller than the part that finds it erotic. It comes with the territory. In response to are you being too easily squicked? Yes. It's a fetish website. Learn to click back when you find something you dislike. Use the tag blacklist feature. And I really don't recommend randomly clicking through profiles for this very reason.

c) It ain't a rule, therefore not reportable.

Now, on the matter of warnings, unsure. What I would adore would be if tags displayed normally on profiles as they do when 'tag' browsing. If you are browsing normally using a search say like This, searching 'Bunny' if you hover over an image, tags popup. If you do the hover when your viewing someones gallery, nothing is displayed so you have to open it to find out what it is about.
SinfullyHungry
Somewhat familiar

Postby Siorche » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:10 pm

SinfullyHungry wrote:Okay, first - poop is the worst you've run into? You mustn't get around much. There is much "worse" (a subjective quality anyway) on this site, never mind the wider net.

Poop is not the worst thing I've run into in profiles no, but due to the fact I'm into guro that doesn't really squick me in any way whatsoever. What i was referring to initially was the Gif stuff. And NSFW I moreover meant in a sense of extreme content warning. I didn't mean I'd be browsing the site at work or anything like that. Apologies if I was misunderstood, I probably should have worded my statements a little better, but it waas around two a.m when I made the topic. Thank you for your input, though!
Siorche
Worst Final Boss
Worst Final Boss

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Honestly this site is home to many different fetishes you are bound to run into something you don’t like. If it within the guidelines of the website then I have no issue with it.

It is polite to have a profile with warnings don’t get me wrong but should we have a warning for everything, Endo offends need a warning for that, hard vore, soft vore, male pictures and female pictures. Real life nudity, MLP, Anime and animals could all have warnings for I have found various people who dislike them, maybe profiles should have sliders and then a click to see everything else.

It honestly feels like people are trying to ruin someone else’s happiness for the sake of their own. Yes there are some things I dislike but rather than worry about it I simple hit the back key and let others have their fun. As long as they are not trying to force others to do what they dislike then there should be no issues.
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby masterofvore1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 am

SinfullyHungry wrote:Okay, first - poop is the worst you've run into? You mustn't get around much. There is much "worse" (a subjective quality anyway) on this site, never mind the wider net.

a) Now, to clear up this, I assume you mean when this type of stuff is being put on the direct profile? I personally think it'd be better off people not doing that, but peoples profiles are their own. In addition, the 'most viewed' thing while editable, is generally not modified by people so they haven't dictated what is being displayed there.

b) NSFW is the most stupid statement. Not Safe For Work? Sorry but Eka's is not a website you should be visiting at work anyway. Or in a public place. It's a fetish website, and the community that is into vore as a non-erotic thing is much smaller than the part that finds it erotic. It comes with the territory. In response to are you being too easily squicked? Yes. It's a fetish website. Learn to click back when you find something you dislike. Use the tag blacklist feature. And I really don't recommend randomly clicking through profiles for this very reason.

c) It ain't a rule, therefore not reportable.

Now, on the matter of warnings, unsure. What I would adore would be if tags displayed normally on profiles as they do when 'tag' browsing. If you are browsing normally using a search say like This, searching 'Bunny' if you hover over an image, tags popup. If you do the hover when your viewing someones gallery, nothing is displayed so you have to open it to find out what it is about.

tag searching sounds good,esp. if there's things like theme tags, species tags,etc. the only problem is relying on people to tag their stuff properly, there's always going to be someone who thinks it's clever to add the tag "omgbiggestcreatureeversomuchvoreandpron4you"
lol
masterofvore1
---

Postby night22 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 am

So like little emotes next to people's names/pictures?

like a turd for scat content, feather for soft vore, blood drop for hard, etc?
night22
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Assimilation » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:09 pm

A) Squickiness is all in the observer, not the host. You can get squicked out, but it's on you to develop a method of coping if you want to get past it. There are plenty of things I would hurriedly scroll past at a younger age that I today can keep on screen easily, simply because of a combination of long-term exposure and active mental control (it's not that bad, look at it, c'mon, I can do this, etc).
B) Unspoken courtesy. Since there is no communal standard or site-based rule on what merits a warning, and since squick is in the eye of the beholder, it is up to the profile host to decide whether they will be accommodating to people's usual sensibilities.
C) As there is no site-based rule for it, reporting it shouldn't do anything.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby NekoYuki » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Well i don't blame you, there are images that turn me, and most of my profiles (like of the oens that actually do) that have scat usually have a little warning. but your problem quickly becomes a case of "What else" Do ponies need a warning? i don't like MLP.
What about hypers? and what constitutes hyper
What about RL images?
What about Pokemon?
What about Ferals?

you get the point. eventually you're drowning in red-tape
Ask to see my various OC and world setting
NekoYuki
???

Postby Artemis » Sat May 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Assimilation wrote:it is up to the profile host to decide whether they will be accommodating to people's usual sensibilities.

Do we need to raise awareness on etiquette, then? Perhaps a guide on profile creation that addresses the elephant in the room would suffice? It would need to convey something along the lines of "We may be an adult site, but we're also a community based around vore. Not everyone comes here for other fetishes such as scat and some of these fetishes are often considered rather polarizing (You either really like it or you really hate it). ...So maybe greeting someone who just wanted to look at your preferences or character to see what you are all about with a high resolution image of someone pooping isn't the most considerate of design choices."
Artemis
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Assimilation » Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 am

Artemis wrote:
Assimilation wrote:it is up to the profile host to decide whether they will be accommodating to people's usual sensibilities.

Do we need to raise awareness on etiquette, then? Perhaps a guide on profile creation that addresses the elephant in the room would suffice? It would need to convey something along the lines of "We may be an adult site, but we're also a community based around vore. Not everyone comes here for other fetishes such as scat and some of these fetishes are often considered rather polarizing (You either really like it or you really hate it). ...So maybe greeting someone who just wanted to look at your preferences or character to see what you are all about with a high resolution image of someone pooping isn't the most considerate of design choices."

Unlike some of the others in this thread, I don't think there's a need to change things concerning this. However, if it were to be implemented, I find that your suggested paragraph makes too many implications. People do not necessarily agree that scat isn't within the umbrella of vore, people will argue about the actual degree of polarity, and people will find the tongue-in-cheek tone disrespectful of their own interests.

"Though we are an adult site, we are also a community. We have found our audience appreciates to be warned in advance about certain content. If your preferences include the following...
• X
• Y
• Z
...then we ask that you refrain from displaying imagery depicting these subjects in your profile."

But the catch is that, as stated, X, Y, and Z must all be determined through a volume of protest or complaint, because otherwise, it's all just insinuation and subjectivity. I'm surprised when people put warning spoilers over fatal digestion, for example.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Rumor » Sun May 17, 2015 10:39 pm

This is a thing I've run into as well, such as scat or underaged characters. I think the best thing to do would be a sort of "caution list" or something on a per user basis that they could be made. Stumble upon a profile with content that's objectional to you? Add it to your list and next time you forget that particular profile has objectional content and click it, you get a warning that its on your list. It doesn't stop you from that seeing that first time click, but at least it stops subsequent clicks by accident. I know I've forgotten names and seen profiles with stuff I don't like too many times. >.>
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby BlueKnight » Mon May 18, 2015 7:27 am

There are many things that would be a matter of politeness to hide behind a spoiler buttons, the only one I subject I could see being enforced is underaged characters in sexual situations as this is illegal in some countries as well as having an especially harsh stigma attached.

It should be noted that some users already do in both cases, and I commend them for such.
BlueKnight
Been posting for a bit

Postby Liz » Mon May 18, 2015 7:53 am

Though where do we start and stop? Real life underage sexual content is banned period. Anime Loli or shota characters are not banned.

Its people’s opinions on other peoples happiness, other peoples likes and dislikes. Like random people wanting to enforce their belief onto others who are not breaking the rules and should be allowed to continue.

As long as it doesn’t break the sites rules people should be free to enjoy their own thing and make profiles they enjoy. Some people might have scat involved, Real Life images, MLP, Endo, or other things people find offensive then serious ‘so what?’ If you don’t like that, don’t whinge OOC and attempt to make the player feel bad for trying to enjoy themselves.

Grow up and Hit the back key and move on.
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby Artemis » Mon May 18, 2015 9:29 am

Liz wrote:Though where do we start and stop? Real life underage sexual content is banned period. Anime Loli or shota characters are not banned.

One of these things involves real people; the other does not. The comparison is like comparing your choice of FPS to an actual war; it requires ignoring the premise entirely. I wouldn't call this a matter of 'opinion', as you put it.

Liz wrote:As long as it doesn’t break the sites rules people should be free to enjoy their own thing and make profiles they enjoy.

We could always discuss the possibility of implementing a rule to curb obnoxious profile design if the rules are the only thing you're willing to respect. =/ That's not off the table, you know.

Liz wrote:Some people might have scat involved, Real Life images, MLP, Endo, or other things people find offensive then serious ‘so what?’ If you don’t like that, don’t whinge OOC and attempt to make the player feel bad for trying to enjoy themselves.

Some of these things have actual ethical concerns associated with their use, namely scat and real life images. The others do not. Scat is a non-vore fetish (that is frequently enjoyed alongside vore) which is often considered graphic by others. Exposing people to unsolicited graphic porn without warning is pretty rude. Real life images have ethical concerns over whether the user has the right to use that picture. If they don't, that's pretty messed up. There are also some concerns over the boundaries between real life and fantasy. A lot of people recognize the existence of some people out there that would like to experience vore in real life and they aren't wrong to be a little concerned about that.

If all you're being asked to do is make a small compromise to ease these concerns I think you owe it to them to hear them out. That's what people who respect each other do.

I don't think anyone here is discussing banning these things. We know that scat has a place in the community and we know people have the right to enjoy them. However, what we're discussing here is basically graphic advertising which is not at all necessary for either of those things to happen.

Liz wrote:Grow up and Hit the back key and move on.

'Adults' don't call people children to dismiss their concerns. =/ This is a discussion thread; rhetoric like that only serves to discourage others from discussing further, which you may recognize as being extremely counter-productive.
Artemis
Advanced Vorarephile

Next

Return to Our chat room