How do you respond to a bad RP Partner?

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

What do you do if your RP Partner is performing poorly?

Leave the RP without a word and never reply to them again?
11%
Whisper an OOC complaint during the RP?
48%
Tough it out to the end and then mention a complaint or two?
22%
Ignore their faults and keep playing?
19%

Total votes : 250

How do you respond to a bad RP Partner?

Postby SomeGuy1294 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:56 pm

First off: this thread is not designed to condemn RP'ers you don't like. I have never had a truly bad RP partner, except for those who never finished the session and vanished without a word.

That said, I am certain that anyone who, unlike me, has been RP-ing for a while, has probably had a bad RP session. So my question is... if you wind up playing with an RP partner who, in your opinion, doesn't rp well, how do you deal with it? Do you shoot them a note in the middle of the RP, asking them to please change something in what they are doing? Do you smile, ignore their faults and keep playing? Or do you just walk off?

I'll fully admit that the response will be at least, in part, determined by where exactly the partner went wrong. If my partner makes a typo, or frequently forgets to capitalize, I shrug it off and keep going. If my partner violates my preferences in the most blatant and offensive ways possible (this has never happened, thank God), by say, suddenly having their pred morph into a hermaphrodite and attempt to cock-vore me... my response is going to be a little less transcendent.

Thoughts on this? Advice? Concerns? Experiences? Notions? Theories? Speculation? Pontification? Condensation? Rhubarb?
SomeGuy1294
???

Re: How do you respond to a bad RP Partner?

Postby TW » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I tend to finish the RP (time permitting) but I normally don't accept an RP from them again for a long time.
I love bellies! Round, Soft, hard, Prey filled, food filled, Inflated, or Pregnancy, so long as it is big and round. :)

I am a maieusophile are you?

TW
Belly Loving Author

Postby zigzwag1243 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 pm

I agree with TW, If I ever get into a situation where my partner is doing things I find offensive, or downright rude I will finish the RP, and that will likely be the last time I RP with them, unless they alt hop, because there are so many alts, unless they are linked together how am I going to know lol...

(I have had someone ask openly if I was dyslexic, I know that I don't have the best punctuation in the world, but my stories are fun, at least I would like my partner to think so.)

(Had other people routinely tell me to change my posts because it wasn't exactly what they were expecting me to write, I find that as very distracting, and frustrating likely leading to me terminating an RP)
zigzwag1243
New to the forum

Postby Arthotus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 pm

If someone has grammar or spelling mistakes, especially in an RP, I generally over look it, but if I'm having trouble understanding what they're saying, or they're being down right not very nice, I'll make my best effort to end the RP as soon as possible and just ignore them from then on. If I feel they aren't doing it intentionally, I'll try to help them with some advice, but usually it's just a bad RPer being bad, so I move on and save myself a head ache.

That being said, I've only ever had a problem with RPers over Table top games like D&D and other such games. Not even in regards to the rules, just that people who play those games sometimes have a lack of knowledge about how to actually 'role play'. Again, finish the session as soon as possible and then duck and evade.
Surviving is such a terrible game of chance. No matter how many times you happen to win, it only takes once, and you lose forever.
Arthotus
---

Postby SomeGuy1294 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:30 pm

zigzwag1243 wrote:(I have had someone ask openly if I was dyslexic, I know that I don't have the best punctuation in the world, but my stories are fun, at least I would like my partner to think so.)

(Had other people routinely tell me to change my posts because it wasn't exactly what they were expecting me to write, I find that as very distracting, and frustrating likely leading to me terminating an RP)

Sweet merciful Jesus. You actually finished the RP's with these idiots? You deserve a Nobel Prize in Transcendence. You deserve to be fucking knighted by Queen of England.

I could never have finished an rp with dick-heads that dickish.

It's one thing if a player doesn't capitalize and makes no attempt at spelling or grammar. Asking if somebody is dyslexic because they misplaced a comma or two is just plain rude. Don't let douche-bags like those make you doubt your writing abilities.

Locking somebody into writing exactly what you want, in an RP kills the whole point of rp'ing. If they want to micromanage every detail of the scenario, they can write a story themselves. Having a partner to give you surprises and twists you weren't expecting is half the fun of rp'ing!
SomeGuy1294
???

Postby deathknight » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:34 pm

For me if I have a bad rper it depends how I feel with this person and how they act. IF they are rude and insulting I drop the rp and explain why and block them. I have refuse to have anything to do with assholes who think being rude is funny
deathknight
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby zigzwag1243 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 pm

I agree, however I understand that some people need special triggers to get what they want out of an RP...

I have been approached by players when I am in different alts, and they want to do the EXACT same scene with everyone they run into. To me, that sounds boring. lol I don't have anything against these people of course, but I RP for diversity, that one scene isn't anywhere close to the other.

:gulp:
zigzwag1243
New to the forum

Postby olange » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I try my best to stick with an RP if I start one with someone. For the most part I feel that I try too hard to agree with everything and not quite voice my opinion on some things.

While usually I can talk to someone and figure out what we have in common, a lot of partners tend to just push certain kinks on me without really asking about it, or we'll do one RP and by the next time they'll have completely forgotten everything I enjoy.

While I'd like to at least talk to them and tell them I'm not really into what they're doing, a lot of them seem to get hostile when you do that, so I'll admit that I'm guilty of just removing some people who just don't seem to pay attention or try to do much outside of their kinks alone, or even force things that I've stated I'm uncomfortable with on me.

I guess the responsible thing to do would be to talk to them, and then if we can't come to a compromise just say I don't really want to RP with them.
olange
New to the forum

Postby Uke the Chosen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:29 pm

On my hand, when it gets late I tend to nod off at my computer, but I always promptly respond with an apology as soon as I regain consciousness. Other than that, I personally don't ever have any problems with people unless they leave without a word and never speak to me again. Of course, if I try to question why or explain how they were being rude, they don't respond, meaning they've probably ignored me just because they didn't like the RP for a trivial reason.
Uke the Chosen
Somewhat familiar

Postby Saftkeur » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:17 pm

I haven't had any "bad" RPs so far, happily, though there's occasionally the one where halfway through you're already pretty sure you won't be RPing with that person again. I'll tough it out to the end, though; the only thing that bothers me more than a bad RP is an unfinished one, I want closure, unless things are going really badly and I need to just get out. (haven't had anything of the sort yet, but if someone was trying to make things fatal, or throwing in all sorts of things we'd never agreed to, like sudden new magical abilities... it's not going to get better from there on out, I don't think.)
I'll admit, I don't like to critique people either, so I tend to keep things bottled-up unless asked. Grammar and spelling errors bother me, but I won't point it out if I can help it (it's one of those things that will push me away from RPing with that person again, though if the scenarios were good and they kept things interesting, then all I ask is that their posts be easily readable).
Fantasy/Fetish artist, specializing in 3D vore, macro/micro, and tongue fetishes.
Gallery - Patreon
Saftkeur
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby The Saint of Ravens » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:06 pm

I try to finish off the rp as quickly as possible, then I avoid playing with that person. I don't leave rp's unfinished, but I am not above speeding things along to reach a conclusion. Though, the only "bad" rp'ers I've dealt with are ones that either have large interest divergences from me, or ones who don't give me much to work off of with their posts. I haven't had the displeasure to run across anyone truly offensive thankfully.
No worries, I don't bite~
The Saint of Ravens
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby BloodyMarie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Last edited by BloodyMarie on Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloodyMarie
Somewhat familiar

Postby Kitti » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:17 am

Seems I'm part of the few that just quit responding. :s Meh, since I can't cast two votes, I just opted to pick ignore them.

As some know, I'm extremely picky with my partners; whenever I am sent a message, the initial post is a big response decider for me. If someone wants to roleplay with me and they put effort into their first post, yeah. I'll give them a chance; if they mess up a few times, I'll give them pointers. I can deal with typos, broken English, and misunderstandings. Since I'm only into canonplay, I understand that some people won't get the hang of a complicated character. That much I can tolerate. I'll usually give some advice or pointers if they can't seem to grasp a certain character... but, if it gets to the point they simply refuse to comprehend a character, I'll just let them know I'm not interested in roleplaying anymore.

Outright rudeness, on the other hand... like zigzwag1243, I've had my own encounter with a very picky partner. I've had someone demand that I rewrite my entire response because I didn't 'capture the character' correctly. If someone does that to me, I'll drop the entire roleplay without a word. Needless to say, I've added them to my Ignore list. I don't consider falling asleep at the desk or taking a break or if something pops up rude. I understand that, we've all done it from time to time. As long as I get some sort of notification, I'm fine! If you disappear weeks at a time because work or school is catching up to you, I'll understand if you give me some form of explanation; before it happens, when it's going on, or after you've sorted everything out. I don't mind one bit.

Like I said earlier, if the initial presentation doesn't have any effort, I normally assume the potential roleplay won't be worth it. Presentation is a big thing for me, and if you present your post correctly, I'll be more than willing to go out of my way to make the roleplay an enjoyable one.
And in that moment, I became jealous of an arrowhead.

Commission information here.
Check out my picky Seeking Roleplay topic.
Kitti
???

Postby Gah » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:51 am

I don't do any of these things. I tell the other player politely that I am not feeling the RP. Explain it is no ones fault, and sometimes it's a matter of tastes, before explaining to them that I am terminating the RP. I then proceed to alt hop, seek new RP, or take a small break before leaving or trying to find another partner.
Gah
Participator

Postby blergle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 am

Arthotus wrote:(snip)
That being said, I've only ever had a problem with RPers over Table top games like D&D and other such games. Not even in regards to the rules, just that people who play those games sometimes have a lack of knowledge about how to actually 'role play'. Again, finish the session as soon as possible and then duck and evade.

I've done exactly the same with tabletop games many, many times. If a D&D player can't role-play and only knows how to minmax and roll dice, I want nothing to do with him. That's not how the games are supposed to be played and I hate that bad tabletoppers have given you the impression that it's the tabletop games themselves that influence that! :(
blergle
---

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:49 am

I rarely have problems with RP partners performing unambiguously "poorly". I like to get a bit of a feel for the other person before things get all hot and heavy, so maybe the "problem cases" just kind of filter themselves out by not really catching and holding my attention in the first place; or maybe it's that I don't necessarily consider myself deity-of-your-choice's gift to roleplaying myself and so can't be bothered to prop up arbitrarily high standards for others to live up to to prove their "worthiness"; or maybe they just actually are that rare and this thread is simply making something of a mountain out of a molehill.

Now it can certainly happen that a particular RP scene doesn't quite live up to my expectations. In that case it's a judgment call whether trying to nudge the other person into the "right" direction right then and there would be a good idea or whether I should just go through with it and try to have some hopefully constructive pointers ready later; personally I usually find the latter easier because it's obviously less of a mid-scene interruption, but for small and easily communicated changes or a sudden "oops, not that way" message a case can certainly be made for the former.

Spontaneous disconnects and the like usually don't bother me overmuch; it's the internet, connection trouble and drop-everything-right-now real life interrupts will happen. Somebody just deciding to go silent and stonewall me on the other hand...well, now that's just rude, no question about it, and in that case I'll eventually just shrug, decide the problem is on their side, and move on. After all, there's not much else one could do about that.
Mark
Participator

Postby Angie_Furclad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 am

I'm very upfront about what I expect from an rp now. It's rather straight forward and honest. If the rp starts to go south I'll stick with it for a bit, but if it continues along the lines where neither person is enjoying it, I'll offer to stop and try a different scene. If the person is truly a 'bad' role player, I will let them know I have no interest in doing a scene with them. The term 'bad' is a bit unkind and subjective though. Objectively the main reason why I won't rp with some one is because they can't accept, or meet, the two conditions I set forth.
ImageImageImage
Angie_Furclad
Flirtatiouse Feline

Postby DragonsFTW » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 am

This thread is purely about the players that turn out to be bad during the rp right? If it's clear to me that they didn't read the profile and propose things that i have clearly said i won't do i do tell them to start reading profiles and refuse to rp.

On the trouble during rping, I've had troubles with passive players before (like the many male prey that expect the partner to take all the initiative) and with these i usually come up with an excuse that i have to leave and kinda ignore them from then on. (for some reason i do have trouble telling people they rp bad.) If the problem is only minor i can tell them this though.
DragonsFTW
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Saftkeur » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 am

Mark wrote:Spontaneous disconnects and the like usually don't bother me overmuch; it's the internet, connection trouble and drop-everything-right-now real life interrupts will happen. Somebody just deciding to go silent and stonewall me on the other hand...well, now that's just rude, no question about it, and in that case I'll eventually just shrug, decide the problem is on their side, and move on. After all, there's not much else one could do about that.

Agreed on this one; I roleplay over PMs usually, due to my own relative slowness (I write fairly quickly, but my posts tend to be pretty verbose and it usually takes me close to ten minutes or more to fire off a reply), so I'm totally fine with it if my partner isn't reading and replying within a few minutes. We can't both be hovering over our inboxes and hitting F5, and sometimes we're both just going back and forth at random intervals.
But going silent without a word, just disappearing for a couple of days? There had better be a good excuse when they come back ("Sorry, power went out" or the like, otherwise I'm going to be tentative about getting in too deep on anything in the future. Go ahead, disappear for a month! I don't care, so long as there's a "gotta take a break, might be a long while" beforehand. Life happens, the deciding factor here is how much my partner is actually considering and respecting me.
Fantasy/Fetish artist, specializing in 3D vore, macro/micro, and tongue fetishes.
Gallery - Patreon
Saftkeur
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby legend2252 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 am

Generally I can ignore spellchecks, so long as i understand them and the story is fine. But when you get people who (not necessarily talking vore RPs) God Mod and force their way without any real back up, or just have no idea what they're doing, I at least try to talk with them and see if i can't have them play it up or down. If they can't or won't i generally find a way to RP out and will probably avoid them.
legend2252
Been posting for a bit

Next

Return to Our chat room