If your status isn't away, please reply to me!

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

If your status isn't away, please reply to me!

Postby Ski » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

Honestly, this is one of my biggest pet peeves: when I whisper someone or send someone a message over IMing and they don't reply within ten minutes or so, if at all. If you're going afk for an extended period of time, please at least reply! Even if you're busy, it won't take you long to tell me that, and I'll leave you alone then. I understand that some people just forget to change statuses, but there are several people that I can pretty much guarantee won't reply to me, even though their status is available.

Anyone else hate this?
Ski
Been posting for a bit

Re: If your status isn't away, please reply to me!

Postby Lamnia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 am

Well I have poked my nose in the chat rooms, get bored and generally leave.

But that is a common enough problem with any chat program. Many incorporate ability to become labeled 'away/afk' or the ability for a moderator to drag one or change one's status..... Having no clue how the chat works here, obviously plugged into Drupal, I can not say how easy it is for the current administrators to implement.

It would be interesting to investigate.
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Mech__Warrior » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 am

Ski wrote:Honestly, this is one of my biggest pet peeves: when I whisper someone or send someone a message over IMing and they don't reply within ten minutes or so, if at all. If you're going afk for an extended period of time, please at least reply! Even if you're busy, it won't take you long to tell me that, and I'll leave you alone then. I understand that some people just forget to change statuses, but there are several people that I can pretty much guarantee won't reply to me, even though their status is available.

Anyone else hate this?

Believe me, I know what it's like. The ones that aren't AFK and just ignore you for whatever reason really piss me off. You could at least come up with an excuse and I'll take it.
Sorry for not posting, in college and stuff. Also, exams are this week. >.<
Mech__Warrior
???

Location: You could be proxy man. IMMA FIREWALLIN' MAH LAZOR!!

Postby Doomlycupcake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:51 am

mmh
Doomlycupcake
Participator

Postby Suryia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 am

As someone with a lot of impromptu interruptions while on the chat I guess I have to play the opposite side here. If I know I'm going away, sure I set myself to away, but a lot of the times I do, I usually forget or don't have time too. I know I tend to miss a lot of messages in doing so, since i've come back and caught a few time to time, usually when people give me follow up messages like "did you get that?" Because normally no, I didn't.

It's not a personal attack if they don't answer, and it's hard to prove if the person is doing it because they didn't notice the message for some reason, or if they just don't feel like answering you. But in either case, there isn't much you can do. No one is obligated to answer every single message they get, some people do get a rather large amount of messages that are hard to keep up with.
Suryia
New to the forum

Postby tummy_time » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:18 am

Ski, Im gona keep this short! I agree 100%!
tummy_time
Participator

Postby SeruOmen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:14 pm

If I don't want to talk to you, why should I? That's like going into a cafeteria and demanding someone talk to you because he or she eats at the same place.
Dry Erase Kitty- where else can you find feline zombie computer viruses and inbred demon kittens?
http://dryerasekitty.thecomicseries.com/comics/
SeruOmen
I like sword

Postby didhejustsaythat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:44 pm

SeruOmen wrote:If I don't want to talk to you, why should I? That's like going into a cafeteria and demanding someone talk to you because he or she eats at the same place.

great job, i feel the same way.
DHJST
vore code: VC_3.0_55090999551167359711198_99193999691357359711397_93913378819998_991519971152559911999972799978548_8
didhejustsaythat
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Sarethas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Something that you may also want to consider, is that some of us on the chat do not know how to let someone down gently. Or, didn't, in my case. They'll want to be nice to you, but telling you no makes them feel bad, so they don't want to say it. So, their best defense is to simply pretend to be afk. A lot of people in the chat are genuinely nice, but because of that, many of them are less likely to respond, particularly if, in addition to not wanting to scene, your character isn't their preference. And I'm not talking species there. A lot of people I see want to treat my character like some common whore in the scene as well, and as much as some people wish, I don't think anything less than a few IC weeks of getting to know someone will get you that far. Back to the topic at hand, yes, I'll agree that it can be irritating, but if you look at both sides, there's a lot of reasons for it as well.
If you bring the drama, I'll bring my squeaky rubber hammer and flail you into submission.
Sarethas
Somewhat familiar

Postby Xen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm

It's a case-by-case thing.

I generally reply when people msg me. However! "Hey wanna RP?" usually makes me -.-;;; And it takes a lot of effort to actually bother typing "no, not really."

I'm not saying you do this, but a lot of people are guilty of it and then act shocked when people expect more tact. Just a thing I guess. If you DO actually do this, then shame on you.
Xen
Participator

Postby Terris » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 pm

As a person who occasionally gets approached and is also a bit picky, I can say that I agree with Sarathas that some people find it awkward to let people down about playing. I find it hard. We naturally don't want to hurt people's feelings by saying no. Frankly, I tend to talk to them and then flake out somehow by being non-committal. I suppose that's just as bad as not being honest about it.

Heaven knows that there must be a lot of people who get frustrated by the lack of playing because people ignore them or are non-committal. I have gotten that sort of response myself. But I much prefer people being polite than ignoring me. But I do hate people who pester me over and over when I don't respond for whatever reason. Usually it's cause I went away and forgot about the chat.

If you want a good reaction, here are my tips:

1) I've found that a good way is to generally be polite when approaching people. Say hello, and be respectful.

2) Do NOT jump into RP right off the bat. Unless they're listed as open, don't post In Character... ESPECIALLY not in whispers. If they respond in character, then you can go with it.

3) I try to break the ice to make them feel more comfortable with me, sometimes by mentioning that I liked their profile or some aspect of it. This often goes over well, especially if you're rational about it.

4) If they don't respond in a reasonable amount of time, I don't pester them. Maybe they were away or just busy. But if you send message after message, it's a good way to get people annoyed enough to blacklist you and screw any chances you might have in the future when they're more open/less busy.
Always looking for RP partners. Player is male and straight.

My Roleplay Logs and Stories ~*~ My Roleplay preferences
Terris
Participator

Postby necryel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Putting aside jerks and the occassionally forgetful, we've excluded another group that may not respond without ever realizing it. Maybe this is sad to say, but as for myself, I tend to type while looking at the keyboard. So sometimes I don't see a whisper coming in, or don't hear it either because I'm playing music and don't notice the tone. In such cases, if the particular room I'm in is very active, you post may have scrolled up beyond the screen by the time I've finished typing and posted my response to someone else. In a case like that, I had no intention of ignoring you, I simply never knew you even addressed. Maybe I'm just too willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if you haven't gotten a response from someone, instead of feeling insulted, just poke'em again.
Food can be friends and friends can be food.
necryel
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lamnia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:12 pm

this seems to be turning into a grip string fast.

And I also agree if a person chooses not to talk they don't have to. But at the same time it is rather rude.
Plus how do you know they did not die of boredom and fell asleep.....
Or like me, looking at something else on their second computer screen and not notice anything ...

Really, unless your offering a solution, there really is nothing one can do
Solution can be in the technology, rules of conduct, or even the solution to admit there is no solution and move on.

(I will state in WOW I will ignore a whisper from anyone, because I know no one in the game anymore. So unless you state in some way you know me.... I will suspect a spammer seeing if your alive in game. )
Lamnia
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby John » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:14 pm

I personally hate it when I get rocks in my shoes.
John
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Erebus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

I'm with SeruOmen on this one.

I usually have my profiles at 100% do not whisper, so if someone whispers me: I know that they either didn't read my profile or they're ignoring my stated preferences.
Erebus
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jack » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:17 am

I think this is a coin with two sides. The example by SeruOmen is not quite correct, I think, because it is not like just walking into a cefeteria and start bubbling into nowhere. It's more like you went over to a single person in that cafe, and talk to him/her. This person don't have to answer to you by all means, but it would be rather rude, don't you think?

On the other side, no one knows if the whisper has simply been overlooked. So don't be too harsh with the guys 'n' girls, if you don't get an answer.
Tranquility breeds strength.
Jack
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Tril » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 am

Such a friendly place now.

I'm so glad everyone decided to use this chat as the hub.

>.>
Tril
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Eka » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Lamnia wrote: Having no clue how the chat works here, obviously plugged into Drupal, I can not say how easy it is for the current administrators to implement.

Just so you know. It is not plugged into Drupal in anyway.
Eka
Administrator

Postby swallow_me_whole » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:45 pm

HELL YEAH!!!!
swallow_me_whole
New to the forum

Postby The Swarm » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 am

If some one clearly had read my preferences and the small part at the top of my profile, come up with an rp premise that would get me intrested, or had just genreally been polite and unpushy (just a "if you are intreseted then i would like to rp with you" would have done) in their post, i would always respond. Any one of those things would get a reply.

If none of those things has happened then i treated it as i would spam in my email box.
Im here most nights 7 till 10 british time. If that time works for you and you want to rp then give me a pm, im usually open ^^.

Currently looking for: Character tester and someone to bounce story ideas/segments off of.
The Swarm
---

Next

Return to Our chat room