If your status isn't away, please reply to me!

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Re: If your status isn't away, please reply to me!

Postby rocklee908765 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:39 am

i agree
hey everyone that i rp with my computer broke so i'm using my dad's he is on a lot so if i don't get back for a while that's why. if you have any knowledge of samurai tell me or if you have any writing tips pm me
rocklee908765
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Cerolas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Jack wrote:I think this is a coin with two sides. The example by SeruOmen is not quite correct, I think, because it is not like just walking into a cafeteria and start bubbling into nowhere. It's more like you went over to a single person in that cafe, and talk to him/her. This person don't have to answer to you by all means, but it would be rather rude, don't you think?

My perspective is a little different, I'm having a nice romantic dinner with a date ... and a complete stranger walks up and starts hitting on me, right as I'm trying to work up the nerve to pull out a little box I have, with a ring on it ... I'm the one who feels like I'm being rude, especially if I'm trying to let them down gently and they aren't taking the hint.

I always reply to people, yet I'm getting tired of dropping subtle hints that I'm busy, not interested or otherwise predisposed, to dropping non subtle hints when the person starts bargaining, bickering or otherwise attempting to argue their way into having a scene with me, to just ending up being plain rude, telling them to *take a hike* and setting them on ignore. It's especially aggravating when I've had my DND tag up since before they contacted me.

I don't ignore people, I always attempt to show the respect of a response, even if it's around a player I do not feel comfortable with.

With that said, seeing someone bitch about how 'Oh god, someone won't reply to me ... my feelings are hurt! They're being RUUUUDE' ... I am NOT sympathetic.
Cerolas
Been posting for a bit

Postby Lyanna » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I think it all really comes down to this: if you're away, set your status to 'away', and if you don't want to be bothered set it to 'do not disturb'. This takes all of three seconds. If someone still doesn't get it, ignore them. But without an indication you wish to be left alone, how are they supposed to know?
Lyanna
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Sarethas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm

There's also the instance where someone has logged into the chat for a specific purpose, like, say, they're waiting for someone to get on to carry on a storyline or something with, but they know it's going to be a while till that person gets on. So, they'll log in, and just leave it there, and just check it every few minutes to see if the person they're waiting for is in the room. They won't put DND or Away on, because they're waiting for their friend, but they might not respond because they aren't paying enough attention to notice.

Oh, and as a side note, I have a few characters who are 'exclusive'. For those who don't know what that means, it boils down to, this character was made to play with one person and one person only. Now, in every one of these profiles, the preferences are exceptionally short, and I always, always, <b>always</b> put a message inside the profile, stating that only the person with who the character is paired should be the one to talk to it. And you know what? I still get PMs. From everyone and their dog. "Oh I like your profile" or "Would you like to play." Now, I don't begrudge people their right to PM, but since I have encountered not one, but four people who are apparently unable to notice this, I'm a lot less patient with such things than I used to be.

Another point I feel should be made, is that anyone who's on ignore, doesn't have their posts go through. So, if at any point, you've chatted with someone before, and for whatever reason, they've ignored you, then they won't see your post at all either. I have three people who's style, their lack of attention to profile preferences or ability to push the shift key regularly, have majorly killed the fun in an rp. One of my favorite characters who had only a 10 percent like towards hard vore, and a 100 on soft, was chewed. There wasn't any warning, or any indication before hand. It just went crunch. Now, I finished the scene anyway, to be courteous, but when they started sending a daily PM anytime I got on, I decided I wasn't going to bend over and take the hard vore from them and put them on ignore. It was probably mean of me to do so since I didn't say anything to them about it, but as they didn't clear anything with me in the RP, I feel a lot more justified in my course of action.
If you bring the drama, I'll bring my squeaky rubber hammer and flail you into submission.
Sarethas
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lyanna » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 am

I've waited for people before, paying only minimal attention to the chat, but it still makes a noise when someone whispers me, and if I miss that, I still usually notice any missed whispers and respond at least once to let people know I'm not just ignoring them. I don't have to do anything involved, just a "Sorry, I'm waiting for someone. Maybe we can talk another time." You don't have to respond to everyone instantly, but I think it's polite to respond when you can instead of completely ignoring them... unless they're obnoxious. In that case, ignore away!
Lyanna
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Gpby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

I concur with the OP.
Gpby
New to the forum

Postby Aardvark » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:23 pm

SeruOmen wrote:If I don't want to talk to you, why should I? That's like going into a cafeteria and demanding someone talk to you because he or she eats at the same place.

Because it's basic manners and common courtesy.

This is one of my pet hates in chat sites too. If you are afk or don't see a message that is fair enough. That does sometimes happen but when somebody Recieves a whisper then common decency means that they ARE obliged to reply. Even if it is "I'm sorry but i don't want to talk to you" or "please leave me alone" it wouldn't kill you type that.

Seru. please don't feel I am singling you our or picking on you by saying that. It's just a case of yours being the post I saw when i was checking trough the thread.

To all that feel it's acceptable to ignore somebody just because their profile does not apeal to you or you do not like the idea of something they are suggesting, No offense intended here but I don't think your parents did a very good job of bringing you up. They certainly didn't teach you any manners.

To use the same Cafeteria example. If somebody is in a cafe and another person wanders up and say "hey exuse me?" and they blantantly ignored that person, then they could quite fairely and reasonably expect to be physicaly assaulted for such an offensive lack of courtesy and in my opinion they would deserve it too.
At least thats how things are in the country where I live. (United Kingdom)

My apologies to one and all for taking such an uncharacteristicaly strong tone on this thread but it is alos one of my pet hates.
Intentionaly ignoring somebody even in a chat site is NOT an acceptable way to behave and is deeply offensive.
For those that do it. Learn some manners.

Maybe this unpleasent chat site habbit could be soothed a little if the portal were to include a simple generic reply button for those that can't be bothered typing a couple of words. One you could just press and it would auto reply with " The person you have just whispered does not wish to speak to you and would like you to leave them alone please" (just an idea)
Aardvark
Participator

Postby Lyanna » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Aardvark wrote:To use the same Cafeteria example. If somebody is in a cafe and another person wanders up and say "hey exuse me?" and they blantantly ignored that person, then they could quite fairely and reasonably expect to be physicaly assaulted for such an offensive lack of courtesy and in my opinion they would deserve it too.

If people can be expected to assault each other over such a thing where you live, perhaps you should move. I live in one of the most crime-infested cities in the US and I'd be surprised to see things go that far around here. But I agree, ignoring someone like that would be a very rude thing to do.

Aardvark wrote:Maybe this unpleasent chat site habbit could be soothed a little if the portal were to include a simple generic reply button for those that can't be bothered typing a couple of words. One you could just press and it would auto reply with " The person you have just whispered does not wish to speak to you and would like you to leave them alone please" (just an idea)

That's a great idea. I have no idea how hard it might be to implement though.
Lyanna
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SeruOmen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 am

Okay, think of it this way. Just how many complete strangers do you tend to go up to in real life? Very few, I'd assume. In fact, many would find it rude for you to simply approach them.

Now, put in that nice little filter of being anonymous called "the internet", you get a little more guts. You do tend to approach people you don't know privately... and it's not considered nearly as rude. Just be glad you don't get socially shunned for constantly approaching strangers here, much less replied to.

I maintain that if I don't want to talk to you, I don't have to, and you don't have the right to make me say one damned word to ya. <3
Dry Erase Kitty- where else can you find feline zombie computer viruses and inbred demon kittens?
http://dryerasekitty.thecomicseries.com/comics/
SeruOmen
I like sword

Postby al0ngluminary » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:38 am

I speak from experience RPing in the AOL realm, not the chats here, but I'm sure you get some of the same people on both sides. That said, let's be honest; there are people out there who don't like taking no for an answer when it comes to RPing. I know I've met plenty of people who would try to wheedle me into RPing with them, or get outright abusive, as if it's their right to make me RP with them. Whenever I get a new message from someone, I check out their profiles when possible to get a feel for what kind of person they are, and analyze the message too. If I really don't like what I see, I won't answer; I'm on here 98% for my own pleasure, and that doesn't include letting someone down easily if they're clearly detailless posters, can't spell to save their life, etc (for example, there's this one guy that haunts the AOL chatrooms that I bet some of you have met; he always wants to play a (non-sexual) RP with a horse. I'm tired of telling him it holds zero interest for me). Is it rude? Sure. Am I going to change? Unrepentfully no.

Also I tend to be online while doing a half dozen other things, so sometimes I'm simply afk as well. Why not put up an afk message? Because I don't mind getting messages that I can look over and respond to later, and people generally won't send a message to someone who's marked afk. It's more like a "do not disturb" sign than a "not here" sign.

Despite sounding like a bit of a bitch, I'm actually quite nice to the people I do talk to. I'm just saying, there're those rare ones that you want nothing to do with right off the bat.
al0ngluminary
Been posting for a bit

Postby SeruOmen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:41 pm

al0ngluminary wrote: for example, there's this one guy that haunts the AOL chatrooms that I bet some of you have met; he always wants to play a (non-sexual) RP with a horse. I'm tired of telling him it holds zero interest for me.

Lol, yeah, I've ran into that guy. You ever run into "Tickle-Me Girl"? The one that pops into AOL chats all tied up with a sign that says "Tickle Me"?
Dry Erase Kitty- where else can you find feline zombie computer viruses and inbred demon kittens?
http://dryerasekitty.thecomicseries.com/comics/
SeruOmen
I like sword

Postby al0ngluminary » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:45 pm

SeruOmen wrote:
al0ngluminary wrote: for example, there's this one guy that haunts the AOL chatrooms that I bet some of you have met; he always wants to play a (non-sexual) RP with a horse. I'm tired of telling him it holds zero interest for me.

Lol, yeah, I've ran into that guy. You ever run into "Tickle-Me Girl"? The one that pops into AOL chats all tied up with a sign that says "Tickle Me"?

Ha, yes, I've seen that one a few times too.
al0ngluminary
Been posting for a bit

Postby Lyanna » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm

I don't think anybody here is suggesting that you should be obligated to speak with people who are rude and inconsiderate. The issue is that it's upsetting when you approach someone politely and reasonably and are completely ignored for no discernible reason. It would be nice, in these cases, to at least get a few words in response, and I don't think that's too much to ask.
Lyanna
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Aardvark » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 am

I can't speak for others but the number of strangers I approach in real life are actualy quite a few. Anything from "could you tell me the time please" or to ask for directions. None of this is considered to be rude and I have never yet heared of a person or a culture that thinks it to be so.

Seru. Are you saying that you don't have any friends in the real world because you have never approached somebody you don't know?
It would be very difficult to make new friends if you don't do that and the world would be a much colder unpleasant place if everyone approached in such a way thought of it as rude and then snubbed the person trying to speak to them (with is extremely rude).

Add to additional online environment of a CHAT site.
Yes thats right chat. Eka's is a chat site and is labled as one.
The point of a chat site is for people to socialy interact and get to know each other and have fun.
The vast majority of people that come to Eka's or any other chat site for the fisrt time don't know anyone and could not possibly make friends or get an rp without approaching stangers.

I don't know why anyone that objects to being approached in this way would be in a chat site in the first place.
It would be like somebody that can't stand football going into a football stadium.

I do completely agree with al0ngluminary 's point that people who won't take no for an answer are a problem and if somebody is harrasing you then eventualy ignoring those types is probably a good way of dealing with it but in order for a person to take "no" for an answer, first you have to give them the answer of "no" and you can't do that by not aknowledging them.

It's perfectly reasonable to not want to speak or interact with somebody that whispers you but it do feel that you still owe them the very least of a "please leave me alone" reply first. That is a fundamental level of manners.

Lyana: you're point is very valid and I do live in a bit of a rough area but the situation isn't nearly as bad as it might have sounded.
The reason it isn't that bad is because people don't go around ignoring each other.
Aardvark
Participator

Postby al0ngluminary » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 pm

In the real world, if you ignore someone who approaches you completely, there's a chance (varying from small to large) that this could lead to future awkwardness. If you snub your neighbor like so, then won't it be awkward every time you walk past eachother on the sidewalk? Or if you run into eachother at the store, that kind of thing? The same circumstances simply don't hold true online. By choosing not to respond, you're essentialy editing them out from your experience on the Internet, and while some people may send repeated messages if they feel they are being ignored, most won't.

As for having to reply for someone to take a "no" for an answer, lack of response should be a fairly convincing no, or at the least not merit further attempts (I occasionally don't realize I've received a PM for a few weeks, it happens, but I don't want to be bombarded with messages to make up for it). There are people who once replied to with a concrete "no" though, who will keep bugging you, knowing that you're actually reading or at least receiving their responses.

Online society and reality society simply don't work the same way. Socialization is mandatory in reality; you can't go through life just ignoring people who don't interest you and expect things to go smoothly. Online though, as much as people might wish things were otherwise, socialization is 99% opt-in, your choice whether you want to associate with a given person or not. There's no such thing as alienating your neighborhood; very few people are going to snub you because you snubbed someone else at some point (they probably will never know), and there are so very many people out there that people can afford to be choosy. If one replies with a polite greeting but explains that they're simply not interested in RPing or such (which I have done plenty) then that's a bonus, but at no point should any of us feel entitled to a response.
al0ngluminary
Been posting for a bit

Postby Lyanna » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Aardvark wrote:Lyana: you're point is very valid and I do live in a bit of a rough area but the situation isn't nearly as bad as it might have sounded.
The reason it isn't that bad is because people don't go around ignoring each other.

Oh, I was fairly sure you were exaggerating, I wasn't entirely serious either (well, I was serious about the crime rate here >.> ). I even considered making my reply less serious by making comments about how the availability of guns might change such behavior, but it felt too cliched. :roll:
Lyanna
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby SteelPyroMantis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:07 am

Exactly, when it comes to replies from people i approach. a large majority of the time people tend to never reply, i can understand not getting a reply if they're afk and forgot to or just purposely didn't put the Away/DoNotDisturb Sign up.
but when people outright ignore?
that stuff Sucks, especially since the Minority of the time when people actually reply and say
"oh sorry i'm busy" or "oh i'm not interested sorry" or "oh i would RP with you but i'm sorta overwhelmed"
i'm ok with it and just reply with "ok no problem, Thanks for letting me know. appreciate the reply" then i just move on and find someone else.

afterwards i tend to just never approach those people that never replied again out of fear of getting ignored a 2nd or 3rd time.

while the ones that actually replied i may return again depending on what their reply was
Last edited by SteelPyroMantis on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
oh don't mind me.. just a random cat passing by

You can call me ThatVenomousCat.. made this account 4 years ago and can't change the name.
SteelPyroMantis
New to the forum

Postby NovaoftheEternalStar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 am

Chat is down. So your status is temporarily set to away with everyone else.
Just because there is a path, doesn't mean that your feet can't roam beyond the borders of the expected.
NovaoftheEternalStar
New to the forum

Postby Ariel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:45 am

I think you have to view this as a salesman approaching a customer, not everyone is going to respond or want to hear your spiel. Some people are simply going to walk away, pretend they're on their phone or whatever. If you approach me with your 'product' and it doesn't fit my tastes, I'm not buying. I may not like your packaging or your ingredients but I'm not going to write the company telling them why I don't buy their product, I move on to the thing that I want. What's good here is that you can look at your customers' likes and dislikes and see whether or not you fit their tastes. And just because I say I like cola doesn't mean I have to respond the 50 different companies who are trying to shove their 'product' down my throat!

Typically though, when I approach a new person for a scene that is AWAY, DND or has no tag up, I drop a PUB to let them know I'm interested, what my idea is and so on. They can get back to me at their leisure or they don't have to respond to me at all. I can even see that my message is read in the PUB system so there are no sleepless nights wondering if they ignored me or missed my message or so on. I reserve whispers for people with LFRP up or friends that I'm already familiar with.
Ariel
New to the forum

Postby TheDragonGirl775 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:50 am

If people aren't responding to you and they're not away they might just not wanna talk to you. *Shrug*
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=45561 My seeking thread.
I really wish I could change my username.
PM me about RP, I enjoy meeting new folks.
TheDragonGirl775
---

PreviousNext

Return to Our chat room