Predator-Prey Relationship Poll.

Are you looking for a place to post your work, hoping to receive comments, suggestions and criticisms? If so, this forum is for you! Showcase your stories, drawings, animations, and anything else you have created here. You can even upload your files directly to our site! Note: Everyone is free to share opinions of anything here. If you can't handle criticism, refrain from posting here!
Forum rules
This section is for any artist, writer, animator, or any form of creation to share their work in order to receive comment to improve themselves better.

Read the rules in detail here

Read the Critiquing suggestion here

Please open only one thread per person. Detail here.

Which duo do you like?

Jinx and Roxanna.
23%
Jinx and Lisa.
38%
Jinx and Poppy.
8%
Dodger and Roxanna.
8%
Dodger and Lisa.
15%
Dodger and Poppy
8%

Total votes : 13

Predator-Prey Relationship Poll.

Postby Bowyer2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:05 pm

I had been thinking about an idea for a long time, and I like to ask everyone their opinion on my idea and the characters. I had been inspired by 3 cartoons that I watched when I was a kid involving predator-prey relationship. 2 of which is a series of shorts. Tom and Jerry, Sylvester and Tweety from The Looney Tunes and The Ant and the Aardvark from The Pink Panther Show. I hope to find any artists that pays for commission for around 10 - 15. But until then, I like to see people opinions about it.

I thought of an idea set in a world of modern, civilized, anthropomorphic animals, like Zootopia and Beastars. Despite predator character's clever strategies, determined and energetic mindset, large size, and exceptional overall intelligence, she rarely succeeds in getting the best of prey character, mainly because of prey's cunning abilities, and his/her luck. The series follows attempts of a female predator attempting to catch and eat her prey. I thought of two prey characters and 3 predator characters, and I like to know which one of each is your favourite. By the way, I don’t have an official name for each character so I give them a nickname until I can come up with an official name, unless that you like the nicknames.

20220421_143333.jpg

Let’s start with Jinx, an unlucky rabbit, he is very chipper and sunny dwarf rabbit happy-go-lucky attitude. He is the first two characters I’ve drawn, makes him the oldest among the characters The inspiring came from Br’er Rabbit and Roger Rabbit.

Dodger is a troublemaking, athletic tomboy squirrel. She described as an excited, carefree and cheeky. She can be known for being brash and erratic. She succeeds by her speed and wits rather than by brawn. The inspiration behind Dodger came from Jerry the Mouse, Screwy the Squirrel, Slappy the Squirrel and Sandy Cheeks.

Now for the predator characters, there’s Roxanna. She is a lumberjack grizzly bear. She could be a potential rival to Dodger since that Roxanna cuts down the tree, as well as other things like blocking the stream with her damn, causing Dodger’s favourite swimming hole to dry up. The inspiration was loosely based on Smokey the Bear, although she wouldn’t cause wildfire, she is a contrast to Smokey as she chops down trees, which is someone’s home as part of being a lumberjack, and other potential harmful damage to nature. Her name came her Teddy Ruxpin.

Next is Lisa. She is also the first two character I drawn alongside with Jinx. Originally, I had hard time deciding if she would be a wolf or a fox, but then, I decided to go with a silver fox because I thought that she can be a fox but with a fur colour of a wolf. She is a crafty fox that is in constant pursuit of Jinx. Lisa continuously chases after Jinx, for whom she sets traps. Her inspiration came from Loona from Helluva Boss and Br’er Fox, Br’er Rabbit’s nemesis, which fun fact, I just learned that in some countries, like Italy, Br'er Fox is female due to "fox" being a word of female gender. Her name came from Kuma Lisa, a character who is a fox from Bulgarian and Ukrainian folklore. She usually plays the role of the trickster, as an archetype. Many Bulgarian folk tales as well as authored works use the character of Kuma Lisa. In many tales Kuma Lisa is encountered with another character known as Kumcho Vulcho - a wolf which is opposite to her and very often suffers from her tricks. This is where I get the idea of making her a silver fox.

Lastly and the most recent is Poppy, the giant river otter who does yoga. However, she is more of an amalgamation of different species of Mustelidae, a family of carnivorous mammal, mainly ferret, weasel, marten and giant river otter. The idea came from the word referred to ferret from urban dictionary, ‘’cat snake’’ because they have mammalian characteristics of a cat but are long and squirmy like a snake. I like to imagine that Poppy is sneaking around by slithering on a floor similar what the Grinch did when he’s stealing presents and Christmas decorations. She has long, slender bodies, which enable them to follow their prey into burrows like a weasel. She is a very agile predator, it can climb trees easily, grasping the trunk firmly, digging in its claws and bounding upwards with jerky movements like the marten. Interestingly the marten is one of the few predators agile enough to catch small mammals such as a squirrel and rabbit. Her potential story is that she is fed up with eating fish and so she wants to eat tastier. The reason I picked the giant river otter is because it’s the biggest specie of the Mustelidae, and although their diet is mainly fish, they can eat small mammals. Giving how slender and flexible she is, she has a potential to be the most physically expressive character through her body language, making her like a rubber hose character. The inspiration came from Tatyana from Animalympics and her name is the reference to the nursery rhyme, Pop Goes the Weasel.

That's all of it, I hope that you like it.
Last edited by Bowyer2 on Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bowyer2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Predator-Prey Relationship Inspired Idea.

Postby Datstrudel » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:37 pm

I gotta say, Lisa and Dodger are my favorite two Pred and prey respectively. I like this idea and story dynamic. Good luck!
Datstrudel
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Predator-Prey Relationship Inspired Idea.

Postby Bowyer2 » Mon May 02, 2022 11:02 am

Datstrudel wrote:I gotta say, Lisa and Dodger are my favorite two Pred and prey respectively. I like this idea and story dynamic. Good luck!

Thank you. I'm glad that you like it.
Bowyer2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Predator-Prey Relationship Poll.

Postby GREGOLE » Thu May 05, 2022 2:42 am

I like the variety of designs you've got going here. They all have strong, distinct silhouettes and look like they'd be fun to draw. What I'd really like to know more about now are their personalities. What kind of dynamic do these characters have?
GREGOLE
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Bowyer2 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:04 am

GREGOLE wrote:I like the variety of designs you've got going here. They all have strong, distinct silhouettes and look like they'd be fun to draw. What I'd really like to know more about now are their personalities. What kind of dynamic do these characters have?

Thank you. I'm glad that you like them. While the characters had their character role traits with predator character's clever strategies, determined and energetic mindset, large size, and exceptional overall intelligence, and prey character's cunning abilities, and his/her luck, they do have each of their own personality. Here's some of the personalities I can think of so far.

Despite being unlucky, Jinx is very chipper and sunny. He has a happy-go-lucky and laid-back attitude. Of course, Jinx is smart, cunning, and intelligent enough to foil, say Lisa's plans and escape from her.

Dodger is clever, fearless and a quick thinker. Dodger lives in normal trees and would gathering and storing food (particularly acorns). Her affinity for food often drives her to steal it from her potential arch-nemesis, Roxanna, the lumberjack bear, who is resemble for chopping down the trees and losing acorns. She is a trickster character who succeeds through his wits rather than through strength, contrast to Roxanna.

Lisa is a mixture of your typical sly and sneaky fox and more ruthless, cunning and conniving and the big bad wolf in every fairy tale stories. She would try to break someone house to eat them, like how some foxes sneak into a chicken den to eat chickens.

Roxanna is an overbearing, authoritative, loud-mouthed bully who constantly wreaks havoc on those around her. Being a lumberjack, Roxanna has a legitimate profession, but tends to carry her business in a ruthless and intimidating manner.

Poppy is the recent character I thought of. She is more physically expressive than any other characters due to her slender and flexible body, making her like a rubberhose cartoon character. There isn’t much about her due to be very recent character. I would say that the only motivation is that she is grew tiny of eating bland fish, and so venture out of the river to find something else to eat.
Bowyer2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby PikachuX2073 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:41 pm

Why not rotate between pairings?

The way I see it, the pairings between predators and prey are enough to have multiple entertaining scenarios.

Roxanna cutting down Dodger's tree leading to vindictive hijinx,
Lisa getting the short end of Jinx's had luck while Jinx himself remains blissfully unaware,
Poppy slithering into a Jack-in-the-box to surprise-grab Jinx when he opens it only for her to be sent flying because the spring over sprung,
Roxanna getting hit by a wrecking ball while trying to grab Jinx while he's bent over to pick up money only to find out instantly it's worthless,
Should I stop here before I put someone out of business?
PikachuX2073
Participator

Return to Work to be shared!