Space RP (Kristoph1344 and Darian)

This board is for forum based Private roleplay. Participation of roleplay here should be arranged ahead of time

Moderator: penguintacolampshade

Re: Space RP (Kristoph1344 and Darian)

Postby Kristoph1344 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Rune had noticed that the Elf was alone... He felt this was an opportunity to settle any ill will between the two.

Rune would move from his table and approach Gaelon.

"Herr Gaelon, I trust everything is well?" He'd ask standing at the elf's side, staring out at the party as he did, he wasn't in his personal space, but stood about four feet from the elf.

"I, er..." Rune began, taking a moment to swallow his pride. "I'd like to apologize if I may have came of rude last night. I understand why you view my people with suspicion, but I pray that even you and I may come to terms." He'd say, taking a sip from his glass.

Many of the humans have erupted in song as they celebrated their new friendships with the Elves.

"< A signal calls out to those who are willing to stand and fight!
Only those brave enough to face death are still upright!
Whether it is Corphye, Titan, or Valskaya, they will fight and not complain!
Men of Luna are waving banners while our enemies are slain!

Stormproof and overgrown, these are the good lads of Silva!
The Glaciens hold high in honor with fists clenched- We'll never die!
Dakota has endured, they'll never ask for mercy!
This strong bunch from Castello, will teach nothing but the enemy to flee!
Atarashi, Khalka, Gailia, and New Hispania, all have a steely stare!
And now with new good allies, the Astella Unum will also dare!

Because all of us fight with Terran hearts!>"
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:08 am

"The accommodations are... acceptable, if simplistic." Gaelon says stiffly, sipping at his drink. After a moment, listening to Rune's awkward apology... he nods and turns to look down at the man.

"I accept your apology, Sky-Captain. I am not without my prejudices... but despite your disadvantages, you have proven to be a civilized being. Your troops have also performed above my low expectations of hospitality. For all that you are a soldier, Sky-Captain... your talents for diplomacy are an unexpected surprise. Perhaps there is some hope for your species..."

Whatever backhanded complement Gaelon might have given fades away as he listens to the humans song. His frown becomes ever more pronounced, as some of the elves sing along, and others laugh say the humans have terrible singing voices.

"Though I sincerely doubt it..." He mutters under his breath, sipping at this drink again. For a moment he says nothing, standing next to Rune in a small bubble of privacy near the edge of the camp.

"Sky-Captain, you are a solider before you are a diplomat. I will apologize for my earlier disdain of your profession... it is one I once shared and have no fond memories of. It does have some advantages over that of a trained diplomat... one of which is that you are far more straightforward to deal with." He glances down at Rune again. "As such... I feel I may discuss some things with you in a straightforward manner, so that we both might better understand our respective positions. and so, I ask of you... what do your people want from the Astella Unum?"

(opening up some history and hopefully fix some of the Star Elf policy and history here. Gaelon will hopefully lay out the conservative faction of the elves this way.)
Back! Sorry about the long absence!
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:30 am

Rune would accept the backhanded complement... He was all too familiar with them from the bureaucrats of the Terran Council.

"I do not glorify bloodshed. I feel in my few years I've seen enough to last me several lifetimes." He said, a long gaze forming in his eyes.

He shook his head lightly. "You are correct, I will not try to woo you or your people with fake or honeyed words or deception."

He paused for a moment as he contemplated his answer. "I was given the assignment to address this situation as I see fit. Many on the council were eager to bring remnants of lost humanity back into the fold, others wanted this meeting to never happen. Sky-Marshall Williams ordered me specifically to do my best to avoid conflict and build a productive relationship with you and your people, and work towards bringing these lost humans into the Confederation."

"You know of my peoples' hardships. You know why we view nonhumans with fear and suspicion. You know why we are untrusting. But I am certain that these meetings here are going to change many minds back in our own systems."
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 am

"Sage Alliana seems to share your optimism... and I find it foolish for much the same reasons. Still, much like yourself, it is Alliana who shall make the ultimate decision here... I merely advise."

Gaelon swirls his drink, one eye on Rune as he speaks.

"There are two intrinsic reasons why this grand alliance will not work... and has not worked before. The first... well, the first is simply this: You have absolutely nothing to provide to us, and everything to gain."

That is a blunt statement, and it is a good thing that no-one else is listening to Gaelon... his voice is pitched just right so that only Rune can hear.

"It is not arrogance when I state that the Astella Unum are one of the oldest and most advanced star-faring empires in the universe. Before your species crawled out of the mud, we were spreading across the void. When your kind discovered fire, we had mastered many different crafts and sciences. and almost every species we have encountered in the stars came to us begging for scraps of knowledge and power... because they could not compare to what we already had. At best, they provided some... interesting cultural experiments that ultimately had little effect... at worst, they attempted to drag us into their petty wars between their empires. They sought swords and weapons to use on what they called their enemies, not friendship, or equality... it all eventually came back to war and conquest in their own name."

Gaelon takes a long drink of his Dragon Mead, again.

"Most of those empires, no matter how large or grand they were or thought themselves, are naught but stardust and simple footnotes in some of our libraries. The Terran Confederation is nothing more than the next in a long line of species who think themselves far greater than they are, without grasping just how far above them we are. A new player on a stage, performing the same play we have seen over and over."

The elf sighs a bit.

"Do not mistake me, Sky-Captain: every species that claws their way upward, away from their home sphere is an admirable achievement... but the reality of the matter is that merely reaching the stars and surviving the intergalactic-stage afterward does not make your species at exceptional. Merely... passing. Even in our own empire, no other species has come close to matching us... even before we began isolating ourselves."
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:54 am

"Empires rise and fall, sure... " Rune began, but stopped.

"I fear there is a conflict approaching us all in the future that is unavoidable for everyone in this galaxy." He'd say simply, shaking his head.

"But that's not why I am here. We are here to broker an understanding between our species. We do not seek to drag you into conflicts that we can no doubt settle on our own. But we wouldn't leave you to stand alone in a conflict the same. That's the thing... About humanity. Our friends. Loved ones. Allies. Comrades. Those we trust and are trusted by... We fight and die for. I care not what my people are to you, Herr Gaelon. But when I look out... At this?" He gestured to the party. "I see what Alliana dreams of. I see brotherhood, friendship... I see... Humanity."

Rune seemed, perplexed at his own use of the word "Humanity" for a moment. Perhaps he realized that humanity isn't exclusive to humans. Something clicked inside of him... A machine with the ambition of something greater began to rev and roar inside of him.

"Herr Gaelon. We too.. Are an isolationist empire... But now I see something that can be greater with our two species working together."
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:54 pm

"Of course... any effort that the Astellan make with you would be better, for the Astellan would be aiding you."

Gaelon sighs a bit at Rune's impassioned words... clearly the elf is not so affected by them.

"Sky-Captain, while it is to your credit that you can recognize positive traits our species share, it is no guarantee that the REST of your species will be so flexible of thought. You, and your species as a whole... are young and unproven. I do not speak about your prowess in battle... or even your sciences. With time and aid it is possible you could attain similar heights to us... Possible, but unlikely. The main cause of this will be that your species will destroy itself, or that warlike and genocidal sins, no matter how justified, will consume you. It is something we have seen other species fall to... and something you have yet to prove you can rise above. Make no mistake, Sky-Captain... despite Sage Alliana's hopes for the Terrans, few elves truly think the alliance you hope for is possible or wise. Changing that is not something that will come easily... and leads into the second reason why I believe your vision will not come to pass."

Gaelon looks up at the stars, his face just a bit more unfreindly than normal.

"The Astella Unum will never take action beyond our own borders... especially not for the sake of another star-faring empire. It is not our way."
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 am

"Herr Gaelon, I have no doubt there will be many in my species that does not support an alliance between our peoples." Rune said with a frown.

"The wounds of the Enthralled War are still very visible scars upon my people. We have risen above many hardships in our species' lifetime. There is not much that we haven't done to ourselves. Less so that we haven't already overcome. But if my people are willing to offer an olive branch to your people, in hopes of a friendship after all we have been through... What does that say about you, specifically, Herr Gaelon?" He asked, cocking his head as his tone of voice became as cold as ice.

"But then again, you said yourself... You are only here to advise. The decision ultimately falls upon Lady Alliana and the other Sages, mh?" Rune remained calm and collected. He knew this pompous Elf couldn't help his nature. He'd only pray that the Sages were much more... Cooperative.

"I see how you look upon this gathering... You see your own people enjoying themselves with new friends and the only thing you can feel is disgust. Not I. Because I see hope. If my men... Glaciens, who have only ever received contempt from nonhumans and who are some of the hardest, disciplined soldiers in the Confederation can let their hatred of nonhumans go and enjoy your peoples' company, then I believe all of humanity can come to such as well. I do not let my pride turn to hubris and blind me."
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:59 pm

(Urgh, I'm not happy with this, but I'm posting it.

Gaelon is not impressed at Rune's cutting questions.

"Like many of your species, you assume you know the thoughts of your elders. An unfortunate, but expected reaction to hearing unpleasant truths." The tall elf sighs loudly. "Still, I forgive your anger... your drink allows me to overlook your lapse. You simply do not understand your people's position in the universe... nor our own position."

The tall elf looks away from Rune pointedly.

"Sky-Captain, our people's reasons for Isolation are far different than yours. It is not merely the fact that we went to war... though war was part of it. It is our highest laws that prevent us from imposing more tyranny upon this universe. That our knowledge and power keep us from expanding our borders... to exist in balance with the universe and ourselves. We see more of that balance, and just how terribly delicate it is. You, and your species, have never touched upon the greater knowledge of the universe... seen the patterns we do. All of those signs and our history have shown that our kind are better off remaining separate from the lesser species."

The tall elf gestures lightly to the stars.

"What you consider a great war, had once been a skirmish to the battles we fought in ages long past. You are a young species... you have no idea of the terrors that lurk in the stars. More than just things of empires or squabbling races like yourself. It it not fear that keeps us within our borders, Sky-Captain... it is mercy. We limit ourselves so that others may grow and flourish, and that we may never become lost in the horrors we witnessed on our first journeys in the stars. Even in noble cause... the Astella have too much power to casually unleash it for anything. Few now remain who remember those dark days... but so long as they remember, so to shall we keep our laws and our stars. We watch, we guide... but we remain ourselves. If you ever become true masters your own fates... and the fates of others, perhaps your children's children will appreciate the caution."

Gaelong turns to walk away, then pauses.

"There is one last thing you should know, Sky-Captain. It is about Sage Alliana." he offers, seemingly off hand.
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:12 pm

Rune sighed, there seems to be no getting to him unfortunately. While Rune doesn't doubt they have seen their fair share of terrors and inflicted their own upon the galaxy... Rune has a gut feeling something worse is just beyond the horizon.

Still, Rune held his tongue. While his previous words were not meant to be hurtful or hold venom... They understandably can be seen as meant to.

"And what may that be, Herr Gaelon?" Rune asked, cocking his head to the side. He wondered if this would be something that would be something about the Sage's past or person, or if this would be an attempt from the Elf to misconstrue the human's view of the Sage. Rune knew that Gaelon didn't approve of this gathering... He would see it as a waste of time, so Rune would take everything spoken from this Elf with... A grain of salt, so to speak.
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:27 pm

"This star system... and many of those surrounding it, are under her direct control. That it is on the edge of our empire allows her to even invite outsiders such as yourself to it... but that is a privilege to you, and a responsibility to her. If... when your designs fail here, it will fall to the Sage to cast you out. And despite her apparent kindness to creatures such as yourself... and the words of many of my fellows... I know the Sage quite well." Gaelon turned, and in his eyes Rune saw absolute conviction.

"Sage Alliana will not hesitate to cast your people out should you violate that trust... and when she does heed my warnings... I will not need to give her any advice on dealing with a threat. Her displeasure is far, far more dangerous than my own... and every elf knows it. Every life in this system is under her protection... and that duty she will never fail."

With that, the tall elf returns to the festivities.
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm

Rune would scoff silently.

The Sage has been more welcoming, cooperative, and communicative than Rune could have asked for...

"I think I'll keep the delegations between the Sage and I" He thought, shaking his head.

Speaking of the Sage, Rune would look for her. They still had many matters to discuss, and he had hoped that her cohorts were finding his people as welcoming as they were. Whenever he would find the Sage, he would approach her and greet her with a subtle bow. "Lady Alliana... I trust you and your people are enjoying yourselves? I do hope that my people have been accommodating to you all." He said, raising.
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:43 pm

The Sage was laughing and joking and telling stories with anyone around her, human or elf. Alliana's cheeks were even a bit pink from the drink. Despite this, she seemed to be smoothly steering the conversation to include everyone around her. Elves who made comments in elvish were quickly translated or asked to share the joke. Even the most crass of stories she seemed to find worthwhile and amusing... and all the elves found themselves laughing with her.

"Oh, it's been a most wonderful day, Rune!" Alliana exclaimed happily. "Such good food and good conversation. It lifts my heart to see so many of the younger generation getting along so well with your troops!"

The robed elf looked aside at Rune's shallow bow, and raised an eyebrow.

"Did you need to talk to me privately, Rune?" She asked, "Or are you seeking more stories to share?"
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:56 pm

"I figure now would be a very opportune time for us to speak privately while our people are enjoying themselves... Would you walk with me, Lady Alliana?" He asked, taking a subtle bow once more, this time offering his hand.

Indeed, it would seem that the galaxy painted the humans in a much more harsh light than they deserved. As not a single one would shy away from conversation or sharing a laugh with the elves. Even the ones who were sore from the competition earlier were even enjoying themselves.

Some offered to play games with the Elves... Soccer/Football, sharing music with each other, even inviting some to watch the Redout racing cup on the holovision.
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Sage Alliana laughed easily. "It seems like a grand time, seeing the lovely woods of this moon."

She easily takes his arm, despite their size difference, and allows him to lead her away.

Once they are away from prying eyes, the elf seems to take a deep breath, and the pinkness fades from her cheeks. It seemed the drink only affects Alliana when she wants it to.

"Both our peoples will talk of this, when we return." She muses softly. "But I suppose there is not much harm in doing so. What did you wish to speak of, Rune?"
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:59 pm

"Well... " Rune began, pausing as they began to walk along in the forest.

"How exactly can we persuade the other elves to accept this alliance between our two peoples?" He asked, looking up to her. "... We have everything to gain, but you... You gain very little if anything." He'd admit, cursing in his mind at Gaelon.

"What possible troubles could we as humans aid your people in even?"

(This would be a very lovely moment for Alliana to admit to the unrest on their vassal/underling worlds.)
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 pm

For a long moment, Alliana doesn't say anything. She takes a deep breath, and speaks.

"... our empire is not as peaceful as many elves would believe." The elf says softly, her voice not carrying an inch farther than Rune's ears. "There has always been discomfort from our two spacefaring vassal races... but in recent years, there have been far more protests... more anger. What once were people content and happy, there are shouts of discrimination and despotism. The Tapu have become even more secretive, and the Floran test their bonds... forgetting the terrible price they have already paid."

"I believe... that our isolation is the cause of this. If we allow the outside universe to come to us, and for those who seek more to explore the outer stars..." Alliana smiles wryly. "Some of our own young are curious... they wish to see the outside world for themselves, and they deserve the chance to do so."

"But..." the elf's face falls. "to begin such a process would be... an audacious procedure. It would be risky, against millennia of tradition... and we would need true support of friends beyond the veil. True friends, and not those simply seeking to enhance themselves at our gain."

She looks back to Rune, her expression a bit grim.

"The last time we sought true friendship outside our stars resulted in the worst war in our history. Even the Florans are not as bitterly hated as the betrayal we faced then."
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:52 pm

"I can assure you... Lady Alliana, that a bond with a Glacien is a bond not easily broken." He said, pressing his hand to his chest.

"But... You say there are... Troubles in your realm?" He asked, cocking his head. "...What sort of protests and what is this anger directed at?" He asked inquisitively.

"It is true, I've noticed how enthusiastic your younglings are towards learning about my people." He said with a subtle smile.
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:56 am

"The first comes from the Agri-worlds tended by many of the Tapu, our oldest, closest, and only true vassal. The Tapu are an earth loving people... loving good soil and growing things. The positions they hold in our society they chose historically, and fits well with their nature. We have never prevented them from keeping their own culture or worlds... but it is true that some are unhappy with being bound so closely to us by ancient oaths."

Alliana shakes her head. "Which makes the protests and ill-feelings now all the more confusing. While the Tapu do provide our people with much food, we have never been so demanding of them, nor has our management of such places ever been overarching or without consideration for our friends. We are not slave-masters or corporate overlords, but there have been ever more accusations of hoarding and unreasonable demands... when the Tapu should well know that any rules we lay down are for the balance of entire worlds!"
The elf groans and covers her face.
"The Tapu leadership should have told us about any such problems LONG before their citizens became angry enough to protest like this. We solved the problems to everyone's satisfaction before... but there always seem to be more angry Tapu these days, and we have no idea why."

"The Floran..."
Alliana looks back at Rune with a sad expression.
"We were forced to pacify the Floran when they stole space travel technology and began raiding other worlds around them. They were too primitive and too violent to be allowed to move unchecked... the war against them was swift and ugly, and we took them as vassals to prevent them from becoming a plague on the universe. Our attempts to gentle their violent impulses and guide their culture to less brutal thoughts has been the work of many centuries... and they have always been testy, and pushing their limits. This recent rash of violence and attempts at forming armies may merely be another unsavory leader... but the timing is very bad."
Darian
???

Postby Kristoph1344 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 am

"..."

Rune fell silent, and stopped in his tracks.

"... Lady Alliana... This may sound strange, but..." Rune began a concerned expression coming across his face.

"I think I know what is causing these issues among your worlds." He admitted. "The similarities frighteningly close to what has happened on many of our own, even my own home." He shook his head. "You say these are localized to your underlings? The lower peoples in your social hierarchy?" He asked, cocking his head. "Demands coming from no where, hate and violence seeming to just... Manifest?"

"Yes... Yes, yes, yes... I am all too familiar with these sorts of happenings. Lady Alliana... Your people will soon likely will be dealing with mass insurrections... Due to agitators from the one entity in this galaxy that would gain from disgruntled lower classes..."

"The United Socialist Systems."

"I know... It seems that I may be trying to shift the blame of your world' unrest on our enemies... But believe me when I say that this has happened so many times in our own systems. We've lost many systems to the USS through this tactic... And.. We almost lost my own home too." Rune shuddered. The actions he took during those days were dark, and even questionable. They haunted him still three years later.

"They have been waving red banners... Have they not? Demanding... Proletariat liberty, or something along those lines? A worker's revolution?" He asked.

"My dear Alliana... If this IS actually what is happening... Then I believe your people now have more reason to humor us humans."
Kristoph1344
Participator

Postby Darian » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:26 am

Alliana raised her eyebrows at Rune's words.

"You are right, Rune... that does sound very much like you are attempting to shift blame onto your enemies." She says flatly. "Many elves would take insult at the implication we would allow any intruders into our stars so easily... others that we would be so weak as to fail or fall to those who we raised up. We definitely would have noticed if anyone started waving red flags in protest. We know their symbol."

Then the elf shakes her head sadly. "I am more worried about the fact that if any other Sage heard you say that, they would think you are attempting to manipulate us into war against your enemies. Please do not speak of that suspicion casually... Especially if it might be true. The Floran are too proud to fly any flag but their own, and the Tapu are more fond of peaceful resolutions than armed ones... but I would be a fool to dismiss your viewpoint. Acting on that information would be Very difficult though..."

Alliana looks at Rune again, her black gloved hand rubbing her chin. "Rune, there are Sages who would use such sedition as an excuse to cut off all contact with the outside universe. A few might even consider allying with someone else, like the USS or the Federation. Worse... some would even blame you for bringing your enemies to our doorstep. The Astra Unum might be powerful, but power brings pride. Pride can become hubris if it is attacked."

The elf lowers her hand and when she speaks next, it is with firm conviction in her voice.

"But... I believe there is a way we can cement our alliance. It will take great effort and risk much on both our parts, personally and politically. But I believe my plan is the best chance of bringing both our people together as allies."
Darian
???

PreviousNext

Return to Private Roleplay