The Wilde Wood Development Journal (Twine)

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

The Wilde Wood Development Journal (Twine)

Postby TheWildeWood » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 am

Long time lurker here. I've wanted to write vore fiction of quite a while, and I'm now ready to commit several years of my life to producing a multi-faceted interactive experience. It's obviously quite a lot of work, so if the project tickles your fancy, feel free to throw your hat in by way of writing, illustrating, critique or discussion; all are welcome.

I present to you The Wilde Wood, a dark mirror to The Wind in the Willows, where predator and prey intermingle on the cusp of civilization. A recent arrival in the Wood, you join a small community at the turn of autumn, sharing in the festivities of the harvest and the terror of the lengthening night. Will the Winter Solstice find you in good spirits, or long since passed?
Last edited by TheWildeWood on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Re: The Wilde Wood Development Journal (Ren'py)

Postby Bright » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:34 am

This sounds quite interesting.
I'm curious on where this will go.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby 3rasvok » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Hmm, sounds really fun. I take it you're open to stuff like digestion, optional disposal etc..?
3rasvok
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:36 pm

3rasvok wrote:Hmm, sounds really fun. I take it you're open to stuff like digestion, optional disposal etc..?

I certainly am.

---

Wilde Wood Society and You

At the beginning of each play-through the reader will choose their gender (Male, Female, Herm), species (Human, Weasel, Fox, Rabbit, Sheep, Rat, Otter, and more), and diet (Herbivore, Omnivore, Carnivore). Each of these attributes will determine how the denizens of the Wood initially react to their new neighbor, as each will have biases that inform how they behave as the story progresses. In Act 1: First Turn of Autumn, the reader attends the eponymous festival soon after they move into their residence, where they will meet most of the major characters in the game and get a taste for how their society works.

Let's take Rufus Weasel to start. Rufus is a carnivore that prefers members of the opposite sex for his "intimate" partners. Should the reader play a male of any disposition, they will find Rufus cordial; as a female, they'll find him flirtatious; and as a female Weasel, he'll be down-right chivalrous. Not all ends will be possible with all characters, but perhaps a femme fatale can seduce him into dinner, or a herm broaden his sexual horizons. Or maybe your only interaction is seeing the result of a night raid on the local farm, as he scurries home with an egg laden basket.

This sort of dynamic choice system could spiral out of control and never be finished, but I have two rules in place to ensure things stay nice and tidy.

1. The game will have five acts, with short interludes. Each act will showcase a major event that must be resolved before moving forward, with Act 5 the culmination of all the reader's choices, should they survive that long.

2. The initial release will only have "six" major characters to interact with. Each will have hard lines that define their character, but there's always some wriggle room, and hopefully everyone can find something they can enjoy. Aside from Rufus, there will be a vivacious vixen open to just about anything, fraternal (m/f) rabbits, a lonely ewe, a wolf, and... one spot I'm leaving open until the others are sorted out (recommendations welcome).

Speaking of sorting, back to work.

~TTFN
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby 3rasvok » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:19 pm

TheWildeWood wrote:
3rasvok wrote:Hmm, sounds really fun. I take it you're open to stuff like digestion, optional disposal etc..?

I certainly am.

---

Wilde Wood Society and You

At the beginning of each play-through the reader will choose their gender (Male, Female, Herm), species (Human, Weasel, Fox, Rabbit, Sheep, Rat, Otter, and more), and diet (Herbivore, Omnivore, Carnivore). Each of these attributes will determine how the denizens of the Wood initially react to their new neighbor, as each will have biases that inform how they behave as the story progresses. In Act 1: First Turn of Autumn, the reader attends the eponymous festival soon after they move into their residence, where they will meet most of the major characters in the game and get a taste for how their society works.

Let's take Rufus Weasel to start. Rufus is a carnivore that prefers members of the opposite sex for his "intimate" partners. Should the reader play a male of any disposition, they will find Rufus cordial; as a female, they'll find him flirtatious; and as a female Weasel, he'll be down-right chivalrous. Not all ends will be possible with all characters, but perhaps a femme fatale can seduce him into dinner, or a herm broaden his sexual horizons. Or maybe your only interaction is seeing the result of a night raid on the local farm, as he scurries home with an egg laden basket.

This sort of dynamic choice system could spiral out of control and never be finished, but I have two rules in place to ensure things stay nice and tidy.

1. The game will have five acts, with short interludes. Each act will showcase a major event that must be resolved before moving forward, with Act 5 the culmination of all the reader's choices, should they survive that long.

2. The initial release will only have "six" major characters to interact with. Each will have hard lines that define their character, but there's always some wriggle room, and hopefully everyone can find something they can enjoy. Aside from Rufus, there will be a vivacious vixen open to just about anything, fraternal (m/f) rabbits, a lonely ewe, a wolf, and... one spot I'm leaving open until the others are sorted out (recommendations welcome).

Speaking of sorting, back to work.

~TTFN

I really like the setting you thought up... and choices with potentially deadly consequences? Count me in :-D

I've been making a game with Rpg Maker and I really wanted to include choices that effect the story.. It gets pretty crazy sometimes even if you try to keep things simple.
3rasvok
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:22 pm

3rasvok wrote:I really like the setting you thought up... and choices with potentially deadly consequences? Count me in :-D

I've been making a game with Rpg Maker and I really wanted to include choices that effect the story.. It gets pretty crazy sometimes even if you try to keep things simple.

I'm glad you like it!

And, yeah, keeping the bloat down is definitely on my list. I think my focus on depth (vs breadth) will keep it manageable. Seems like a problem larger studio rpgs have a hard time handling, which creates a niche for independent developers. Not that sexually explicit vore stories aren't enough of a special snowflake on their own.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby 3rasvok » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 pm

TheWildeWood wrote:
3rasvok wrote:I really like the setting you thought up... and choices with potentially deadly consequences? Count me in :-D

I'm glad you like it!

And, yeah, keeping the bloat down is definitely on my list. I think my focus on depth (vs breadth) will keep it manageable. Seems like a problem larger studio rpgs have a hard time handling, which creates a niche for independent developers. Not that sexually explicit vore stories aren't enough of a special snowflake on their own.

The problem with big AAA devs is that developing games is a fortune nowdays, so they don't really feel like adding something to the game that not everybody's going to see. Though, even back in the day rpgs with decent choices were far and few between for mostly the same reasons, I think.
3rasvok
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 pm

3rasvok wrote:The problem with big AAA devs is that developing games is a fortune nowdays, so they don't really feel like adding something to the game that not everybody's going to see. Though, even back in the day rpgs with decent choices were far and few between for mostly the same reasons, I think.

It helps that the gameplay loop of TWW depends on a robust choice system.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby 3rasvok » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:49 am

It's practically designed for a choice based vore game. I'll be keeping an eye on your project! :-D
3rasvok
Been posting for a bit

Postby DarkPinkie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:29 am

Now this is a curious forum thread. I will make sure to roll high on my perception check to notice the project.
I'm the current a developer for Lurking Lizard Studios currently developing Predator's Coliseum.
We also have a public Discord chat!
DarkPinkie
---

Re: The Wilde Wood Development Journal (Twine)

Postby TheWildeWood » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Hey everyone. I apologize for the delay, but life hit me like a freight train and I haven't had time for anything 'extracurricular' until recently. I've changed the project foundation to Twine and I'll be working The Wilde Wood consistently for the foreseeable future.

The next step in the process is coding variables to set-up a rudimentary character generator so that the npcs can more fully interact with the player. It's funny that games like Skyrim and Dragon Age haven't considered hair or eye color in their storytelling, I think it's a missed opportunity.

Anyway, into the wood we go.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:41 am

I've got the character creator and a few of the variable quirks in Twine sorted out, as well as started Act 1 in earnest. Act 1 has the full cast to interact with, so to fight off bloat I'm pairing them up and then switching them around after a few conversation options so the player can follow around one particular character or get a taste of everyone.

Speaking of, here's the cast:

Rufus Weasel - not changed from his previous mention.

Vivian Fox - Vivian is a pretty common vixen name, but there's a reason for that: it's a good fit. Vivian ended up as a Herm, and is still up for pretty much anything.

Jonathan "Jack"/Gillian "Jill" Rabbit - Fraternal twins on the excited/excitable prey end of things.

Henry Wolf - Dominant in all ways, his primary concern is the safety of his community, but that won't keep him from engaging in some personal entertainment, or dinner, should the opportunity present itself.

Evelyn Sheep - All about the food chain and her place in it. Not likely to survive the winter, but that wasn't on her agenda in the first place.

Missa Rat - It took me a while to pick the last character, but since this is inspired by Wind in the Willows, I thought a rat would be a good addition. I had a spot for a dominant female, and an overly aggressive milf rat seemed like the right thing.

It's pretty early in development still, and I've got a hankering to add a frog or toad and something else a bit more exotic, but I think I'll finish out the first scene for each grouping first. I've put Weasel and Wolf, Fox and Rabbits, Sheep and Rat together to start and I'm almost done with Weasel and Wolf's scene.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:12 pm

If a herbivore decides meat is on the menu:

"Both of your companions look upon your meal choice with concern, then share a look between them, but decide not to broach the subject."

My favorite interaction in the story so far.

"Rat dominates Sheep at chess" is the final first-scene grouping left. My intention for the end of the game is to have the "unromanced" characters pair up, and I think Ms. Sheep is second on Mrs. Rat's list of entertainments. Naturally, it would be Mr. Wolf/Ms. Sheep and Ms. Fox/Rabbits, leaving poor Mr. Weasel to visit Mrs. Rat with baskets of fresh eggs and newspaper to suffer through Mrs. Rat's overbearing lectures and poor chess sportsmanship. "And they were miserable together, until the Spring." I imagine that the least disruptive character to play would be one that falls under Mrs. Rat's thumb, the only cost being at the expense of Mr. Weasel's own will. You see, Mrs. Rat doesn't like to share anything beyond her bad temper.

Which isn't to say that a predator/prey pairing among the others would end auspiciously or deliciously, between Mr. Wolf and Ms. Sheep specifically (Vivian is nearly a force of nature, the Rabbits probably wouldn't make it through Yuletide, but they'd have a damn good time in the meantime). Mr. Wolf and Ms. Sheep share the bond of responsibility and hierarchy foremost, but that isn't to say that they couldn't be inspired to indulge their baser instincts. The Wilde Wood exists in equilibrium, and the weight of your decisions will determine where that equilibrium rests after your passing (one way or another).

I just want to reiterate that if you have any ideas, or would like to contribute in anyway, I'm happy to hear you out!
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:45 pm

First scene groupings are done. Now onto the second scene groupings.

I'm pleased with how each set developed its own pace and outcomes. To illustrate, Fox and Rabbits' interaction opens a lot of possibilities, whereas Rat and Sheep's doesn't due to their characters' rigidity. This soon bears fruit in the second set of scenes with Rabbits/Sheep, where the first sexual encounter of the game could take place, if you've proven yourself as an "outgoing" member of the community to the Rabbits. Sheepophiles will need to exercise some patience, Evelyn, as noted, is a bit rigid.

There's going to be a third set of scenes before the end of the first Act, with a mini interlude that will, eventually, transition into Act 2. I'm going to give a taste of the rest of the game with this set by letting the player spend some quality one-on-one time with a character of their choice. I want to keep some sense of reality, so it's not going to turn into an all out sex/vore fest, but I don't see anything wrong with a little foreplay or just plain-old platonic socializing with your new neighbors. Bromance Henry or Rufus, go on walks with Evelyn or play chess with Mrs. Rat, live the woodland dream if you like, this isn't just a parody, it's a tribute. Once Act 1 is finished I'll publish it for people to take a bite out of.
Last edited by TheWildeWood on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 pm

Scale of Lewdness:
(Least to Greatest)*

Henry Wolf
Evelyn Sheep
Rufus Weasel
Missa Rat
Vivian Fox
Jack/Jill Rabbit

*Subject to player coercion
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Just finished up the intersecting wonder of The Rabbits comfort Ms. Sheep. Thought I'd share what it looks like behind the curtain. That being said, I'm a bit rusty on my programming etiquette, so please forgive, and mention for improvement, any mistakes you find. As always, feedback is welcome. I hope you enjoy this little taste of The Wilde Wood.

(if: $RabbitTwins is "Sweet")[(set: $MsSheep to "Met")(text-colour:magenta)[(if: $gender is "male")[Mr. ](else:)[Ms. ](upperfirst: $species) allow us to introduce Evelyn Sheep!] The twins melodramatically present the dejected Evelyn, in a sober rustic dress that compliments her short grey wool and slim figure, whose ashen cheeks turn smoldering as she covers her face in embarrassment.

(text-colour:purple)[Missa put you up to another go at chess, did she?]

(text-colour:green)[She was so insistant, I didn't feel like I could decline unscathed.] Evelyn glances back across the hollow to Mrs. Rat, and shivers.

(text-colour:magenta)[Now, now. We've come to cheer you up!]

[[Comfort food sounds like the ticket.]]

[[Nice breeze for a walk.]]

[[How about a roll in the hay?]]](if: $RabbitTwins is "Sour")[Jill runs over to the gloomy, grey Evelyn and nearly bowls her onto the dirt with the unexpected embrace. Jack smiles, but stiffens when he notices you walk up from behind. (text-colour:purple)[No offense (if: $gender is "male")[Mr. ](else:)[Ms. ](upperfirst: $species), but I don't think Evey is ready for you after an encounter with Missa. Maybe come back after we've cheered her up?]

[[Mrs. Rat finds a challenge in Mr. Weasel.]]

[[Mr. Wolf and Ms. Fox trade compliments.]]](if: $MsSheep is "Sweet")[(set: $RabbitTwins to "Met")(text-colour:green)[(if: $gender is "male")[Mr. ](else:)[Ms. ](upperfirst: $species), please don't think too poorly of Mrs. Rat, she doesn't really have any friends or family. Mr. Weasel just puts up with her, I think, since they share the same hobby. I think about how lonely she must be, and do what I can for her.]

The Rabbits' haste to intercept the two of you is impressive, they're almost on you before Evelyn can finish. (if: $gender is "male")[(text-colour:magenta)[Evey, who's your friend?] Ms. Rabbit gives you a wink.](if: $gender is "female")[Well now, Ms. Sheep, care to introduce us to your new friend? Mr. Rabbit gives you an eyeful.](if: $gender is "herm")[(text-colour:magenta)[Evey, who's your friend?] The rabbits start to whipser conspiratorially.]

(text-colour:green)[Lewd!] Evelyn covers her face. (text-colour:green)[Please aquaint yourselves with (if: $gender is "male")[Mr. $name ](else:)[Ms. $name ](upperfirst: $species)]

(text-colour:purple)[A pleasure, pleased to see Evelyn in good spirits despite circumstances! My name is Jonathan, but you can call me Jack, since we're fast friends.] He offers a friendly paw.
pirit
(text-colour:magenta)[Likewise! I'm Gillian, but Jill to you.] She gives a small curtsy.

(text-colour:purple)[What should we do with the rest of the afternoon, hmm?]

[[How about a roll in the hay?]]](if: $MsSheep is "Sour")[Evelyn stops as soon as you're out of Mrs. Rat's hearing, (text-colour:green)[(if: $gender is "male")[Mr. ](else:)[Ms. ](upperfirst: $species) I do not share company with Mrs. Rat because I enjoy her manner, which you seem to share. Perhaps we can meet on friendlier terms some other time, but for now I insist you find your entertainment in someone else's company.]

[[Mrs. Rat finds a challenge in Mr. Weasel.]]

[[Mr. Wolf and Ms. Fox trade compliments.]]](else:)[(set: $MsSheep to "Met")The Rabbits flank Ms. Sheep, with a consoling hand on arm and shoulder, as you approach and make your introduction.

(text-colour:purple)[Mr. (upperfirst: $species)'s (if: $gender is "male")[nephew!](else:)[niece!] Pleased to meet you! Jack Rabbit,] he offers you an enthusiastic paw.

(text-colour:magenta)[Jonathan to our parents,] Ms. Rabbit smiles, (text-colour:magenta)[I'm Gillian, but since we'll all be good friends,] she rub's Ms. Sheep's shoulder, (text-colour:magenta)[call me Jill.]

(text-colour:green)[Oh! I'm pleased to meet you too (if: $gender is "male")[Mr. ](else:)[Ms. ](upperfirst: $species). Evelyn Sheep,] her cheeks burn, (text-colour:green)[Ms. Sheep if you don't mind.]

(text-colour:purple)[Don't mind Evey, she just had a bad time with Missa across the hollow.]

(text-colour:magenta)[I know! Let's do something to take her mind off it. What do you think?]

TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:14 am

I figured instead of just yapping I'd show you some visual progress. As you can see, the work is taking shape. Just about done with the scene 2 sets, looking forward to the scene 3 sets, not so much to debugging of the code I'm writing roughshod over. It'll get done.

TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:32 pm

Nine more passages and I'll be finished with the scene 2 sets. Just under half of those are lewd, which I'm saving for when I'm fresh and able to bring my "A" game. I think the majority of what I've written is pre-vore discussion and reaction to player disposition on the subject, and hopefully primes the reader for the one-on-one encounters in scene 3.

For my next project, I think I'll leave the big party scene for later in the story, let the player choose where they want to go and have their experience molded by the people they meet along the way. I love how TWW is working out, and front loading all of the characters makes sense for the community-centric narrative.

Something else I'm enjoying is the passage of time, in most rpgs all npcs and quests are always available. My world building style says that if you pick one path, you spend time down that path, and cut yourself off from the other experiences you could have had. I think this adds another layer of immersion to this experience, and will for future projects.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 pm

Dealing with some persistent back issues from my physically intensive day job, so I've slowed down a bit for now. Hoping to feel better tomorrow. I have been able to outline what I want to have happen in each of the unfinished passages.
Last edited by TheWildeWood on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheWildeWood » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:53 am

Asking Vivian "Who do you think I should have 'over' for Christmas?"

Vivian's tongue traces the line of her lip as you feel her hind paw slide over your ankle and up your leg. "How wonderful that you should ask." That paw dips under your calf and slowly strokes your leg out from under you. "If you want someone all to yourself," she wiggles, "Evelyn seems like your best bet, or..." then gives a husky breath. "Or maybe you'd like to share? Jack, Jill, you... me. What fun we'll have."

Vivian Fox

From the start I wanted Vivian to be free spirited, open and down for just about anything. This was to counter the conservative trend caused by the source material that's embodied in most of the characters. Picking out my arbitrary six, I wanted to hit as many avenues of play as I could, and Vivian allowed me to put tighter parameters on her peers. I wasn't going to make her a herm at first, but when I also decided the cast needed a strong pred woman, Vivian got the extra dick. It just fits in so snugly with her boundary crossing nature.

As a character, Vivian is defined by her desire for freedom, to do what she wants without consequence. This desire is contrary to Wolf's authoritarian leadership, and they butt heads quite a bit. And no one trusts Vivian, even if they enjoy her company. On a certain level, that bothers the hell out of her, but if you can sweet talk her and keep her entertained, you've got a friend-with-benefits to keep you warm as the winter sets in.
TheWildeWood
Been posting for a bit

Next

Return to Interactive story