Is This the End of Writing Dot Com Interactives?

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

Re: Is This the End of Writing Dot Com Interactives?

Postby Jayezox » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:09 am

I call bs when they plaster 10+ ads all over the page. There's no way they're not making enough money to keep the resources up while they delete stories out of nowhere on a regular basis.

Wherever we decide to go, we should stick with the same website since population is more important than the website we use.

GeneralUrist wrote:Is there any script kiddie or something with a paid account around here? Because it's increasingly looking like emergency backup/archival efforts are warranted...

You know what? I'd be happy to help pool some gift points to a good script kiddie in exchange for their archives. Particularly the pokemon and animal interactives are my favorites. I have 27k gift points that would definitely help get a paid subscription. I don't want to pay them for their greed.
Jayezox
---

Postby Assimilation » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:18 pm

shaneh28 wrote:@Aickavon12 Are there interactive stories on Eka's portal? I've never noticed any.

Damn, that goes to show how poorly showcased the section is.

Here's the link: https://aryion.com/iss/

The navigation link is here:
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Spunkomatic66 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Such a bummer. That website is one of the places I first got into vore and now I can't even access it.
Spunkomatic66
Participator

Postby 123apples » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:20 pm

They had a lot of great content. If only the authors would migrate their work onto this site. So many stories lost from other sites being sold off.
- Monsters and angels
- .... I can't remember the others...
123apples
Been posting for a bit

Postby Reaverbot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:40 pm

There was a thread on this site awhile back with a bunch of archived versions of stories, but I lost it like a hard drive ago. I'm too lazy to search for it but it might still be around
Reaverbot
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Hotkillerz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:29 am

So has anyone figured out a solution for writting.com were we can post and view peoples stories?
Hotkillerz
New to the forum

Postby TimberWolf25 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Always disliked that site. The whole site is an inconvenience, constantly blocking users out. If they're going paywall, they need to go all the way and stop being so vague and silent about it.

Honestly paywall sites are a hindrance if you want to grow as a fanbase. Either go full on or don't do it at all.
TimberWolf25
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jayezox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:33 am

Hotkillerz wrote:So has anyone figured out a solution for writting.com were we can post and view peoples stories?

I think my solution where we pool gift points to one person that's willing to download the stories is the best way to go. Either that or find a time period when the servers aren't busy and start archiving.

TimberWolf25 wrote:Always disliked that site. The whole site is an inconvenience, constantly blocking users out. If they're going paywall, they need to go all the way and stop being so vague and silent about it.

Honestly paywall sites are a hindrance if you want to grow as a fanbase. Either go full on or don't do it at all.

I had a bad feeling they'd do something like this when they started deleting stories with no warning. That's what discouraged me from contributing chapters. For those that put a ton of effort into their chapters it's like the website is holding all that hard work for ransom.
Jayezox
---

Postby lovethetailhole » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:49 pm

We really could use an update of the interactive section on this site. Making it a little more visible and easier to navigate, especially on mobile, would go a long way.
lovethetailhole
New to the forum

Postby Gadalk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Spunkomatic66 wrote:Such a bummer. That website is one of the places I first got into vore and now I can't even access it.

Same. That's thanks to this website that I found Eka's portal.

Well, if I recall correctly, some of the older stories are saved on the Wayback Machine, if anyone wants to try and take a look.
Gadalk
New to the forum

Postby katjademosthenes1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:55 am

For anyone who was looking for it, the link to the archived writing.com stories is found here: http://writing.tini.horse

It's missing about 3 years worth of updates but has a vast majority of the bulk of the stories. So unless you want something recently created, you can supplement by copypasting the latest chapters while having this older version.

If a newer version of this archive exists though I would love to see it. Small Bargain had some great storylines in it and had to be replaced with a new version when the original owner stopped paying for their account or something.

Personally, I wouldn't ever pay for a writing.com subscription. I'd been on the site since around 2000 and I remember the early purges of vore stories that caused pretty much the complete loss of the original Oh-No, which I think was easily one of the best and biggest interactives at the time. While the new version has some salvaged stories from it, there's a good portion of human vore and the entirety of anthro/dragon vore lost, along with so many other stories over the years.

It seems like every few years they remove a lot of fetish content on a whim, so i've been content to plant my feet and deal with the temporary time gaps of reloads since i'm usually just checking for updates to stories rather than fully reading through any.
katjademosthenes1
Been posting for a bit

Postby Halcyon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for commenting on this thread. I posted this about a month ago, and I just wanted to revisit it to respond to some of the comments. I think we've got some good discussion and ideas going.

Assimilation wrote:Interactive stories are, bar none, my favorite medium for vore content. Yet, about 5 years ago I significantly slowed my participation on writing.com amid their first round of reader access changes, and I abandoned checking up on WDC interactives entirely about 2 years ago as they restricted reader access much more heavily and took down the vast majority of my old favorites (whether through active WDC staff removal or author's account expiration, I don't actually know). I was hoping that the new (4+ years ago) interactives system here on Eka's would be a good replacement, but in practice I've found the system disenchanting, especially between the missing navigation controls, poor management tools, and simply ugly layout.

Despite everything I've just said, I think the most important factor towards a replacement site for vore interactive stories isn't a high quality interactive story system, but that it's simply a single destination that's visible enough for a writing community to form and keep itself afloat. Interactives stories are interactive in 2 ways: you get to choose your own adventure as a reader, and you can contribute to other authors' creative vision as a writer. It's easy to drain yourself if you're writing all the choose-your-own-adventure chapters by your lonesome in the quest for quality control, so the more-appealing aspect to me is the lowered minimum of commitment when you get small bursts of inspiration to continue from someone else's writing.

Therefore, while I would love to finally see the overhaul of our system here on Eka's, I'd rather not hold my breath and instead I'd prefer we (together as a vore writing community) establish a website with sufficient tools for interactive story creation and hosting, and somehow be very constant about promoting the site in other vore communities. But that's, of course, a matter of putting money or muscle where my mouth is; if I'm not the one to do it, why should I expect anyone else to do so?

I definitely agree with your point about a single destination. Keeping not only accessibility and visibility in mind, but also the potential for collaborative creativity, these are all of the things that we need to keep in mind for a successful interactive story platform.

GeneralUrist wrote:Is there any script kiddie or something with a paid account around here? Because it's increasingly looking like emergency backup/archival efforts are warranted...

There are a few efforts to do this right now. While I'd like to see the old works recovered and backed up, however, my biggest concern is with the future of the genre/platform. Right now, there aren't a lot of viable options for us to continue to write.

Jswrighting wrote:If I were to write an interactive story these days I'd probably use something like Twine or Squiffy.
It really depends on the person, I prefer squiffy since its mostly text-based, but others might prefer twine due to its pretty graphical interface for linking your interactive fiction together. They're great because you can use variables to store gender, height, etc.. which can solve the problem that many interactive stories have which is cloned content or early "What is your gender" questions which end up totally diverging the story, rather than a similar, or same one being told just with edits.

So, yeah, Squiffy or Twine. Both have a bit of a learning curve but are well worth it.

While I really like these programs, the problem is that they don't offer any potential for collaborative creativity like an online-based platform does. So, while I could download the programs and write my own story, I could never get others' contributions without actively recruiting people. The advantage of an online platform is that others can just contribute AND read it at ease. Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding?

Aickavon12 wrote:Instead of complaining about the tragedy that is writing.com.

Perhaps maybe it's better to do something more constructive? I mean to say, our interactive stories page is well... it has no organization! If you want to find anything there, you have to know what you're looking for before browsing. If our interactive story page had some sort of tagging method, or searching method, then I think it would make a lot of potential interactive writers far more celebrant to write down stories there as well as contribute.

Jump ship and see if we can improve our own website. I don't know if there is a way to ping eka or anyone responsible for such a vast undertaking but I mean. It's worth a thought. We have more control over here than we do at writing.com

lovethetailhole wrote:We really could use an update of the interactive section on this site. Making it a little more visible and easier to navigate, especially on mobile, would go a long way.

Right now, I think these are the most viable options for the future of interactive stories. However, I agree that it's a lot to ask from a platform that we ALREADY use for free. As far as I can tell, these are the things that we would need, in order of most to least important, to make Eka's a permanent replacement of WDC

1. The ability to delete links and pages (currently broken)
2. A searchable interface instead of a list
3. Tags

However, like I said, I know that it's a lot to ask from a service that we currently pay nothing for. While I'd be willing to help raise money to make such a thing possible, I know that it isn't that simple. But right now, as the largest vore community on the English-speaking internet, Eka's offers the best possible alternative to vore on WDC (where, let's be honest, it was never really welcomed anyway).
Halcyon
???

Postby Hereforvore » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am

A few weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought a year of the paid membership, as I had recently found an interactive called 'swallower at school' which I absolutely love. I am considering copying it over to aryion, giving credit to the original creator of course, and cutting any routes that were written really poorly. Do you guys approve of this?

Should note, I am not a script kiddie of any sort, the best I can do for something like this is copy and pasting each section on its own :(
FOR THE EMPEROR!
Hereforvore
Somewhat familiar

Postby Seelane » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:31 am

Hereforvore wrote:A few weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought a year of the paid membership, as I had recently found an interactive called 'swallower at school' which I absolutely love. I am considering copying it over to aryion, giving credit to the original creator of course, and cutting any routes that were written really poorly. Do you guys approve of this?

Should note, I am not a script kiddie of any sort, the best I can do for something like this is copy and pasting each section on its own :(

Totally approved by me, it' going to get deleted by writing.com soon, so I recommend saving it here before its too late.
Seelane
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Jayezox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:57 am

I think our biggest problem is not the fact that we don't have a website. It's that we don't have participation. While Eka's doesn't have all the features the WDC does, it's still perfectly usable. The bigger problem, in my mind, with the Eka's interactive is how off the beaten path the page is.

One way we can fix this without overhauling the site is by advertising our interactives better. We can do on-site by linking interactives we participate in our signatures. We can also do this off-site as long as it follows the site's rules to get more people involved.
Jayezox
---

Postby Smuxray » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:01 am

As an owner of a pretty major vore interactive on WDC, this is indeed a very concerning situation for me. I’m currently working with a web designer to develop a new site where I can export my interactive, to keep it safe and easy to access for readers. Hopefully in the future we may be able to expand it into a place where other writers can post stories as well, but we’ll have to see where the cards fall. In any case I’ll keep an eye on this topic and make a post if and when we get it running.
Smuxray
Been posting for a bit

Postby rarrawer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 am

I've got some scripts for downloading interactives from writing.com but the new paid account requirement to use interactives has stopped me from being able to effectively use them.
I have been wary of paying for an account because I don't like the idea of giving them my personal details.
If I can get access to a premium or whatever they call it account to run downloads through I expect I will be able to save interactives again.
If using gift points will let me have access to a few months of premium account, i could possibly save all the interactive stories, not just the vore/macro ones.
Please feel free to contact me via PM if you want to collaborate to download/archive interactive stories.
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby jedsho1234 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 pm

This is honestly extremely frustrating. I've put in roughly 1,200-1,400 chapters into my own interactive, and I'm tempted to just let it rot or give it to someone and delete my account (don't even know if that's possible). Seems like a waste at this point to do that though, and now that there's 2,670 chapters, there's no way I'd ever be able to copy/paste them somewhere else.
jedsho1234
Somewhat familiar

Postby rarrawer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 pm

I've got an upgraded account now and have started downloading interactives.
I'm saving the vore ones first, then I plan to download a bunch of other interactives (ex. macro/micro, pony, pokemon/digimon, furry).
This will take a while to complete as I am trying to limit my download rate to something low enough that nobody will mind/notice my downloads.
If you care a lot about your story being done first you can contact me with the URL and I should be able to put it at the top of my todo list, otherwise this might take a few weeks or months to get through everything on the download list.
Once the downloads are completed I plan to build offline versions (They should look just like the ones I've had hosted on writing.tini.horse).
Building the offline versions may take some additional coding work to account for site format changes over time, so please be patient.
Thanks to the people who messaged me offering gift points, they have helped me a lot in getting this archival restarted.
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Liz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:22 am

I stopped bothering with the place when I use to post content only to have someone else post 1 liners in the next continuation(s) and kill stop the story. Or people get overexcited and posted Segways for them to edit later yet never doing anything or people posted longwinded comments about their real life or narration of the story and how they would have done it differently. Or someone would find something against their preferences and kill it out of spite in a story that allows such things.

In short I moved onto other things and I did have some fun in the place don't get me wrong but between Self appointed Preference Nazis, Trolls and The Ad Overlord I kind of got bored and left.

Personally if I wanted to do such a thing again I would just do it on Ekas were atleast you wouldn't get the Anti-Vore police XD

As for WDC doing the pay to view crap, it just seems one last nail in the coffin. It is sad that people who still enjoy the place but don't pay a subscription are being backhanded and kept out of content if that is true. Personally I'd start more people doing interactive stories here. Aryion is rather good with such things imo.
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

PreviousNext

Return to Interactive story