Black void around PNG images

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Black void around PNG images

Postby Aces » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 am

Summary of the issue:
So for a while I've noticed an annoying bug and I don't know if there's been any report of it, if it's just difficult to fix, or if it's outside the limitations of the program to do it any other way. Basically any time I upload PNG images, if those images are too large and have to be re-sized, they get re-sized as hideous .jpg with this black box around it because jpeg does not support transparency. This tends to look very terrible, and as a result, I try my best to avoid uploading any content that uses transparency, or if I do, I have to re-size it to be smaller than its original resolution but that just means people can't enjoy it in its full glory anymore.

Note that this same problem occurs for icon uploads and gallery preview icons. If I crop a png image, the icon for the gallery item uploads as a jpg and loses its transparency. I have to custom make an exactly 100x100 pixel preview image rather than use the website to do it or it breaks and becomes a jpg. It would be a lot more convenient if I could just do this inside of Aryion.com instead of having to boot up Photoshop or GIMP every time.

This gallery item is an example of this problem. https://aryion.com/g4/view/792228

What I expect (want) to happen:
When I upload a gallery item that is big enough to need resizing, it is resized in a file format matching the original file, and also that any transparency is retained in the new preview image.

What actually happens:
PNG images are converted to JPG for their preview images, which is entirely incompatible with any transparency, and the result is a pure black background.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Create a large image with a transparent background.
2) Save the in a PNG format where transparent backgrounds are maintained. (GIF is untested. No idea if it has the same problem, but I assume so.)
3) Upload the image to your gallery.
4) Note the resized preview image has been converted to JPG. The fullsize is still PNG and maintains transparency correctly.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Black void around PNG images

Postby Eka » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:27 am

Yeah we are aware of it.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff