Are PDFs not displaying right or do they always try to DL?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Are PDFs not displaying right or do they always try to DL?

Postby Aces » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:26 pm

In Firefox 97.0.1, if I open a submission that uses a PDF as the document format, it automatically tries to download the PDF straight to my computer rather than displaying it in the window. It appears that displaying the item in the browser is the intended functionality, as there's a text window on the page, but the window is always blank and it instead downloads.

Is this just a problem with Firefox, or is the PDF viewing on this site broken? It's very annoying that my computer tries downloading PDFs unexpectedly when I am browsing new submissions and clicking on anything that looks neat. My dumb ass forgot that he set PDFs to automatically download so I just have a bunch of them clogging my downloads folder. I can fix that, but the popup asking me to download the PDFs is still annoying as heck to begin with.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Are PDFs not displaying right or do they always try to D

Postby Eka » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Hmmm

Screenshot 2022-02-21 152707.png

Looks fine to me. No idea what you are talking about.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Aces » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:42 pm

Well that's weird. The heck is going on with my browser? I'll have to troubleshoot this further. I'd appreciate leaving the thread up at least for a little while to see if anyone else has this issue, or if it's really just me. Maybe we might find a pattern.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ItsSongxing » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:38 pm

I checked on Firefox - also 97.0.1, 64-bit - and I'm not having that issue. I don't have any extensions installed on it or anything - it's pretty much a clean build. I don't see anything in the browser settings that would affect how the browser tries to show an embedded PDF, either, but I don't use Firefox that much, so I could be missing something. It could be an extension of some kind on your end? Is this a new problem as of the most recent Firefox update, or has it been an issue for a while? Can you open a normal PDF on Firefox itself, outside of the website, or does that just prompt you to re-download it?
ItsSongxing
Participator

Postby scottypilgrim » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:03 pm

this has been happening to me forever, I thought that was just how it was supposed to be lol
scottypilgrim
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ArcaneSigil » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:14 pm

Am I the only one here who uses Chrome?
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby Eka » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:20 pm

No. More than half the people use Chrome. Firefox only represents 2% or so of the population.
Eka
Administrator

Postby RumiBelly » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:20 pm

I've had that happen to me with opera mobile, but every other browser I use displays them properly
RumiBelly
Somewhat familiar

Postby Bluetongue » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:47 pm

For what it's worth, you aren't alone! Happens to me as well on Firefox (97.0.1) on Mac. For what it's worth, this seems to only happen on my Mac, not my previous Windows machine. I'm also not 100% sure it's always happened there, but it's definitely a real bummer.
Bluetongue
New to the forum

Postby Sauvegarde » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:56 am

I can confirm. I think it started 6-12 months ago. It also breaks the preview. Example with https://aryion.com/g4/view/572454.

Any other text format shows normally.
Attachments
Sans titre.png
the pdf preview is blank with Firefox latest version
Sauvegarde
Been posting for a bit

Postby LucifersChef » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:43 am

Go to Preferences > Applications
In the list, find Portable Document Format (PDF) > Make sure it is set to "Open in Firefox"
]
LucifersChef
Participator

Postby Aces » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:11 am

LucifersChef wrote:Go to Preferences > Applications
In the list, find Portable Document Format (PDF) > Make sure it is set to "Open in Firefox"

This fixed my problem!
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Sauvegarde » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:56 pm

Aces wrote:
LucifersChef wrote:Go to Preferences > Applications

This fixed my problem!

Same, thank you :-D
Sauvegarde
Been posting for a bit

Postby Cruich » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:47 pm

PDF sucks for accessibility. It's a pain to read them on anything other than my desktop computer (so I usually just don't read them at all), and what sucks more is that more and more people are resorting to uploading as PDF here because the site's conversion isn't working in whatever format they're trying. For the record, I save as the older Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (doc) in Open Office, and it always works perfectly.
Cruich
Participator

Postby IvesBentonEaton » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:56 pm

Same here. Most formatting works, and I've even managed to embed graphics, although you can't get too fancy on that.
Come and hear the Tales of a Visceral Voyager
If you don’t, Zōēā’s poor snake will go hungry.
You wouldn’t want that, would you? :(
IvesBentonEaton
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby hernextmeal » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:00 pm

Cruich wrote:PDF sucks for accessibility. It's a pain to read them on anything other than my desktop computer (so I usually just don't read them at all), and what sucks more is that more and more people are resorting to uploading as PDF here because the site's conversion isn't working in whatever format they're trying. For the record, I save as the older Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (doc) in Open Office, and it always works perfectly.

The site isn't designed for mobile at all outside of the front page and I don't think there are any plans to change that.

The only thing that actually is accessible on mobile on this site is UTF-8 encoded plain text since that is embedded directly into the page and thus shows up in reader mode and reader mode is the only way to force a mobile-friendly layout on the site. (Unfortunately, most plain text documents are uploaded as Windows-1252 since to this day that is the default encoding in Notepad and Word but causes quotation marks to be rendered incorrectly when rendered as UTF-8.)

The next best thing is PDF since that just opens in a PDF viewer out of the browser. Is it great? Not really, but it's readable.

Everything else opens up in an iframe and when I want to read it I either have to download the original document, or manually type view-source: into the address bar, find the link to the iframe, paste that into the URL bar, and then reader mode works.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to Technical stuff