A “Like” Function on art/stories/media etc

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

A “Like” Function on art/stories/media etc

Postby kylelot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:53 pm

It may have been brought up before but has “upper management” ever considered adding a like function.l? I’ve seen a couple artists get depressed because there is not enough interaction with there hard provided media and I’m thinking perhaps this would help.

Fact of the matter is:
A lot of people in the woodwork do not comment

and the favorite function I believe people reserve for extremely limited things. Such as there absolute favorites only.

Perhaps a like function would make artists feel more warm and fuzzy when they sleep at night and lurkers would be more comfortable hitting a like button.
kylelot
Been posting for a bit

Re: A “Like” Function on art/stories/media etc

Postby Eka » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:27 am

Sure, we will look into it.
Eka
Administrator

Postby ObsidianSnake » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:08 am

kylelot you are the people's champion, just to let you know.

From an artist's perspective, I can't tell if the views things are getting are just from people checking the tags and hitting the abort button or if they read-through and enjoy it. Both have the same net result. I don't want to demand comments, because I understand that many people are reserved about talking to strangers or just don't know what to say. The ability to applaud in darkness would solve that handsomely.

From the audience side, I don't tend to favorite much, although I try and leave comments when I think the artist would appreciate them. I would be all over a like system.

Small amendment: if this is under serious consideration, I beg of you to not put in a down-vote or dislike system. The result would be contrary to the community spirit, and it leads to a weird optimization system that discourages niche sub-interests, encourages brigading, and doesn't actually provide any useful feedback to the artists. I'm presuming that wasn't the consideration but... just in case, you know?
If you have some time to burn, check out my gallery for some stories!
ObsidianSnake
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eka » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:57 pm

ObsidianSnake wrote:Small amendment: if this is under serious consideration, I beg of you to not put in a down-vote or dislike system. The result would be contrary to the community spirit, and it leads to a weird optimization system that discourages niche sub-interests, encourages brigading, and doesn't actually provide any useful feedback to the artists. I'm presuming that wasn't the consideration but... just in case, you know?

I know.
Eka
Administrator

Postby tigercloud » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:24 am

Well I never understood the idea of an "Like" button in the first place.

I mean someone Favorite your work, thats the "Favorites" counter, makes sense, someone has it in their collection and looks probably sometimes in their collection. But whats about "like"? Pixiv for example has it, for me its just a meaningless number for the purpose of being a number which increases, but in theory it dont stands for something. "liking" is basically also adding it to favorites, so "like" itself is liking without adding it to faves?

May I'm to old for that but I notices sites, which implemented "like" systems, tend to even less interactions. Because when they have a simple button to click, to say "they like it" why should they write a comment?
Likes on comments often results in less interaction-trees within comments.

Thats just my 5 cents on that, as I told, maybe I'm just from the "pre-like" era and don't see the idea behind that counter

PS:
About negative and positive likes: Yes, thats something, I definitely don't like to see here, because that has the potential to even drive away artists when to many give a thumbs down.
Angel GTS Vore-Artist - My Gallery
---
Check out the Ekas Disinterest Filter
tigercloud
Participator

Postby Nekochow » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm

There could be a lot of utility in a "like" button, some users might want to show support for an artist/writer, or enjoy a piece, but:

- they might not want to display it publicly as a favourite for whatever reason
- they might not want to spam favourite an artist's gallery
- they don't want to have a favourites folder with hundreds of submissions
- they don't want to favourite an unfinished or preview image
Nekochow
New to the forum

Return to Technical stuff