When posting a fic into a gallery, what fonts are allowed?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

When posting a fic into a gallery, what fonts are allowed?

Postby Miridium » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 am

I ask because I am considering opening my own gallery once my fics are complete. I've found that different fonts can add something to writing. So which fonts are allowed?
Miridium
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: When posting a fic into a gallery, what fonts are allowe

Postby TheVoreEngineer » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am

I mean, you can go about this three ways with how the codec for the word documents works on Eka's.

Use generic fonts
You can use additional fonts. However, unless an individual also has those fonts, it'll just automatically set them back to a default font. So for more basic fonts it's somewhat doable, but for more advanced fonts, well...

Images with text
create an image with the text in the font you want, then insert it into your document, but that again has it's own issues.

Upload PDF's
I believe if you upload a PDF, it will 100% keep the font.
Come check out my stuff!
The Aussie words man who just keeps coming back apparently.
TheVoreEngineer
Participator

Postby ArcaneSigil » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 am

As someone who used a downloaded font or two in one of his fics that no one else could read that way and it just appeared as standard letters... yeah. Unless other people, or the program you're uploading it to, has those fonts installed into their system, they'll just see it as normal words and standard letters.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby ItsSongxing » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Times New Roman is the tried and true best bet. PDF may 100% keep the font, but it's a pain for mobile users.
ItsSongxing
Participator

Postby lutro » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:15 pm

ItsSongxing wrote:Times New Roman is the tried and true best bet. PDF may 100% keep the font, but it's a pain for mobile users.

On the other hand, in my recent experience, it maintains your formatting a lot better. So I've switched from RTF file uploads to PDF embeds. For mobile, I recommend just downloading the PDF so your phone PDF viewer can use it, with all the features and stuff.

Honestly though I wish all these sites had some unified format. Formatting the written work for each and every site can get cumbersome. Buuuut that's a whole other can of worms. :gulp:
lutro
Been posting for a bit

Postby ItsSongxing » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:03 pm

lutro wrote:On the other hand, in my recent experience, [PDF] maintains your formatting a lot better. So I've switched from RTF file uploads to PDF embeds. For mobile, I recommend just downloading the PDF so your phone PDF viewer can use it, with all the features and stuff.

Honestly though I wish all these sites had some unified format. Formatting the written work for each and every site can get cumbersome. Buuuut that's a whole other can of worms. :gulp:

I've found .DOC to be the best overall format. Not .DOCX; just .DOC. It preserves fonts, formatting, line spacing, and all of that very well, and is utterly pain-free for mobile; no weird side-scrolling shenanigans, and no need to throw people through the extra step of making people downloading the .PDF to read it. I can speak from personal experience that I've been outright turned off from reading stories just because it's in a .PDF format, and I can't imagine that I'm alone in this.
ItsSongxing
Participator

Postby lutro » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:52 pm

ItsSongxing wrote:
lutro wrote:On the other hand, in my recent experience, [PDF] maintains your formatting a lot better. So I've switched from RTF file uploads to PDF embeds. For mobile, I recommend just downloading the PDF so your phone PDF viewer can use it, with all the features and stuff.

I've found .DOC to be the best overall format. Not .DOCX; just .DOC. It preserves fonts, formatting, line spacing, and all of that very well, and is utterly pain-free for mobile; no weird side-scrolling shenanigans, and no need to throw people through the extra step of making people downloading the .PDF to read it. I can speak from personal experience that I've been outright turned off from reading stories just because it's in a .PDF format, and I can't imagine that I'm alone in this.

I can believe it. Which is why I tend to go to good lengths to make the text embedded.

That said, Eka's recently went through some hiccups with its converting process, and I've started occasionally including things like images and whatnot within the text. Makes the translations from doc (or whichever format) to HTML. And text with images can't be embedded into most sites unfortunately. From a writer's perspective, it's just too tiring to spend 15+ minutes doing nothing but converting the original story into a bunch of other formats to the pleasure of various sites. Makes writing a chore. And I don't like that. So, just exporting to PDF to guarantee everything is where it's supposed to be, making use of the "Portable Document Format" to the max.

If a person won't read my story because of it, that's their loss.
lutro
Been posting for a bit

Return to Technical stuff