Blog system update

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Blog system update

Postby Eka » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:02 pm

Clarification: The blog software we have been using for the past 5+ years (a phpbb plugin) has been causing major performance problems for the site. Many of the 500 errors you've been seeing over the past several weeks are because of this. For that reason we have shut down the blog until we have a replacement.

We don't want the blogs to be offline for too long! Therefore, the fastest way to get it back online is to make a quick replacement as part of the gallery. I'll have that ready for use sometime this week!

However! Please be aware this is quick, I made it in just the past week and so it will initially not have the polish of the old blog software. It will need improvement over time.

The good news is I will be able to import all of the existing data from the old blog software, so it won't be lost! Some of the formatting may look different however.

We are working on a new blog system. In the meantime current blog will experience some temporary outage. Should be back to normal in a week or so.
Last edited by Eka on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Blog should be back, see latest reply.
Eka
Administrator

Re: Blog system will experience temporary outage

Postby Base54 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Cool, cool, I am excited to see what the team has up there sleeves. Hope this endeavor is nothing if not successful.
Base54
Been posting for a bit

Postby dragonjerky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Just out of curiosity, is it new in that we'll have new visuals/features or new in just the backend?
Check out my gallery!*
*Warning: Check gallery description so you don't view content you don't like!
dragonjerky
Somewhat familiar

Postby Uxirusu » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:18 pm

"The User Blog Mod has been disabled" is that what this outage means?
Image "Steel yourself or they shall consume your flesh"
Uxirusu
New to the forum

Postby BabbitBurrito » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 am

Oh, here I thought I was kicked from the system because I was complaining about my art being bad. Just posted my first blog right before this happened. Still learning how this site works.
BabbitBurrito
New to the forum

Postby Aces » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:15 am

I too was about to ask the same question. I wonder how the new system will work.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Leshana » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:54 am

dragonjerky wrote:Just out of curiosity, is it new in that we'll have new visuals/features or new in just the backend?

We are replacing the whole blog system for performance reasons. At first the new system will probably not have even as many features as the old one, I want to get this new software out the door soon, and 2 weeks of spare time isn't very long for deploying a new system! In particular I am not implementing polls at this time. That may come later as time permits.
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby Aces » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:22 pm

External sites can always provide polls too, so that's hardly a feature that would be urgently needed. Take your time.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Just saw the board plugin error and wanted to PM you about it, but figured I'd find an explanation here. Been seeing those 500 errors too and the site being down a lot... thought it's due to the site being overly used at certain hours. Take your time and I hope a working replacement can be found soon!
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby Elpie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 pm

BabbitBurrito wrote:Oh, here I thought I was kicked from the system because I was complaining about my art being bad. Just posted my first blog right before this happened. Still learning how this site works.

i just noticed it myself (i don't use the blog feature all that much) and thought i'd fucked up in my settings somewhere. good to know that this is a deliberate outage in order to fix whatever problems.
Check out my fanfic, 'Anyone You Can Do...I Can Do Better!' And bring up some ideas in the discussion thread!
Elpie
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby tigercloud » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:33 am

PHPBB-Plugins can be annoying sometimes, I'm so happy I don't have to maintain any page with PHPBB anymore, it was annoying to get updates with custom stuff and all these Plugins (some are abandoned, some just don't work)

We are replacing the whole blog system for performance reasons. At first the new system will probably not have even as many features as the old one, I want to get this new software out the door soon, and 2 weeks of spare time isn't very long for deploying a new system! In particular I am not implementing polls at this time. That may come later as time permits.

The main questions here are, when you switch the Plugin...

... do we still have our old Blog-Entries?
... does we get some kind of Poll feature? (Answered above)
... do people who comment there, get a notification if for example I reply to them? (This wasn't in the old blog, it was hard to keep track if people replied, when I commented on their blog, I had to manually check)
... do you develop it yourself or do you use a 3rd party Plugin again? (Just curious)

Keep up the great work =)
Angel GTS Vore-Artist - My Gallery
---
Check out the Ekas Disinterest Filter
tigercloud
Participator

Postby Eka » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Blog should be back up for now. More features will be added later.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Carreau » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Eka wrote:Blog should be back up for now. More features will be added later.

Awesome! Thanks for the hard work!
Mod author of Fallout Vore. Read my blogs for what I’ll be doing next with Fallout Vore
Carreau
---

Re: Blog system update

Postby MirceaKitsune » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am

The new blog system is looking and working very nicely, I like it! Thank you for working so hard on improving it.
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Re: Blog system update

Postby ChibiToy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:53 am

Is there a rough estimate when it'll be possible to use spoilers again? I really love spoilers. :3
God, please throw brains from the the heavens... or bricks. Doesn't matter as long as you hit! x3
ChibiToy
Participator

Postby Leshana » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:55 pm

tigercloud wrote:The main questions here are, when you switch the Plugin...

• ... do we still have our old Blog-Entries? Yes, all were ported over
  • ... does we get some kind of Poll feature? (Answered above)
  • ... do people who comment there, get a notification if for example I reply to them? (This wasn't in the old blog, it was hard to keep track if people replied, when I commented on their blog, I had to manually check) Yes actually! That's one of the features the replacement has
  • ... do you develop it yourself or do you use a 3rd party Plugin again? (Just curious) I made the current replacement, adding it into g4 was the quickest way to get it going.
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Return to Technical stuff