Gallery Upload - Writing

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Gallery Upload - Writing

Postby Leshana » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:42 am

There have been a growing number of problems encountered when uploading writing to the gallery. When a written document is uploaded to the gallery it gets converted to HTML so that a nice inline rendition of the contents can be shown right on the item page without having to download the original file. The technology used to accomplish this is rather old and has been having some problems.

Therefore I will be rewriting this for at least some types of documents soon. I will update with results once this has been deployed to production.

Update:
So I have implemented a new document converter for DOC and DOCX format documents. Anything else will continue to use the old one, so they aren't broken (or any more broken they already were). But for .doc and .docx the new converter will certainly be far more stable. It also supports embedded images like the old one, and I think its formatting is a bit better.
Also important, since the new one is actually understandable, if there are formatting issues, there is a chance we can actually address them instead of it being a black box.
Its now deployed on production so new documents will be using it.

Update:
Okay, we are getting some interesting (an annoying) formatting issues with page layout. Lets see what can be done...
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Re: Gallery Upload - Writing

Postby Groblek » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for the update on this issue, and for working on a fix for us!
Cheers,
Groblek
https://groblek.com
Groblek
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby DoubleOSnake » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 am

Good to hear, can't wait to see the new update! =D
DoubleOSnake
Participator

Postby KingKabal777 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 am

Leshana wrote:There have been a growing number of problems encountered when uploading writing to the gallery. When a written document is uploaded to the gallery it gets converted to HTML so that a nice inline rendition of the contents can be shown right on the item page without having to download the original file. The technology used to accomplish this is rather old and has been having some problems.

Therefore I will be rewriting this for at least some types of documents soon. I will update with results once this has been deployed to production.

I'd be planning to add .docx files into the gallery soon, not sure if this was to be known as a good idea and I wasn't technically certain if it would be compatible or cause issues for others to read. Does this affect .txt files, as files made in notepad are different from other formats of writing as well?
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zwanzik » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:14 am

Praise the Leshana!
Commissions open! PM for inquiries!
Zwanzik
Been posting for a bit

Postby Belloc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks a lot, Leshana! :)
Belloc
Somewhat familiar

Postby MarinLaFey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:13 am

I haven't uploaded anything recently but glad to know we'll be having something new soon. Thank yous Leshana!
MarinLaFey
Somewhat familiar

Postby KingKabal777 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Zwanzik wrote:Praise the Leshana!

Haha, I'd praise both Leshana and Eka for their power.
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Teruyo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Ah, good. I've been mostly issue-free, but I have noticed weird formatting issues with a few stories I'd uploaded. Good to see these getting sorted out.
Teruyo
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Leshana » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 am

So I have implemented a new document converter for DOC and DOCX format documents. Anything else will continue to use the old one, so they aren't broken (or any more broken they already were). But for .doc and .docx the new converter will certainly be far more stable. It also supports embedded images like the old one, and I think its formatting is a bit better.
Also important, since the new one is actually understandable, if there are formatting issues, there is a chance we can actually address them instead of it being a black box.
Its now deployed on production so new documents will be using it.
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby Shmendrich » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 am

Leshana, Supah awesome new avatar *cheers*
Shmendrich
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lightness0001 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm

(Not sure if it really belongs here, but) The only strangeness I'm finding with the new converter is that it seems to include margins and ignore empty lines. E.g., compare the formatting of this one and this one (both using .docx)
Feel free to support me on Ko-fi!
Lightness0001
Somewhat familiar

Postby coop500 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 am

Hmm, I seem to be having a small issue, I did everything the same that I always did, but the formatting looks weird on the story I uploaded today. It has a big empty space to the left and seems to require scrolling sideways to read it all properly. Is this something I did or something on the site's end? https://aryion.com/g4/view/390846

Basically the same issue Lightness0001 is having.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Aces » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:29 am

Posted a thread then noticed this thread so I'll copy it here and delete my thread.

My most recent chapter of GaG has an excessive amount of line breaks compared to everything else I have written in recent history. This is not the result of a change I have made to the format of my stories, but rather, something seems to have gone wrong when parsing it to HTML. Any ideas? Because it looks fugly. Oh, and it has margins I didn't put there either.

If this is a new autoformatting feature, I don't like it.

I don't like the formatting. It looks very bad.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Zwanzik » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:58 am

I'm running into issues still. .docx won't give me spaces between lines and .rtf result in boxes everywhere.

For an example of .docx
See: https://aryion.com/g4/view/391076

For an example of .rtf
See: https://aryion.com/g4/view/392047
Zwanzik
Been posting for a bit

Postby coop500 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

Same problem here with the DocX issue
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Zwanzik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:33 pm

If anyone has found quick fixes or ways to format documents that get around these issues, please share!
Zwanzik
Been posting for a bit

Postby Leshana » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am

Okay, we are getting some interesting (an annoying) formatting issues with page layout. Lets see what can be done...
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby Aces » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:03 pm

The margins are fine. Those make sense. The automatic paragraph layout can be mildly annoying.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Lightness0001 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah the margins are probably fine, after getting used to them. The ignoring empty lines thing, between paragraphs, is pretty annoying though.
Feel free to support me on Ko-fi!
Lightness0001
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to Technical stuff