Tips and Tricks of the Portal

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Re: Tips and Tricks of the Portal

Postby Cicatrix_Manet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Nerva, you are a god of this portal, someone needs to make you a mod if you already arent one. Thanks alot man
I...uh...well I...what?...sorry...nevermind
Cicatrix_Manet
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Cicatrix_Manet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Another question sorry. How do you insert pics into a post, such as when people make image based threads?
Cicatrix_Manet
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Pegadygor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 pm

[img ]picturelink[ /img] You can use the img-tag (without spaces if the picture is hosted somewhere else)

Or click on "post reply" for full options instead of the "quick reply", there is the option to 'upload attachment' ,
there you can add up to 15 pictures + descriptions to your post.
Pegadygor
Absent-minded glitter-dragon

Postby Nerva » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Cicatrix_Manet wrote:Another question sorry. How do you insert pics into a post, such as when people make image based threads?

Two ways you can do that.

Method 1: Image Hosting
Advantage: Easier on this site's bandwidth and storage space
Disadvantage: You have to find an image host that allows hotlinking. Hotlinking without permission is considered bandwidth theft. Some sites limit the size of your uploaded images.

First thing's first; you need an image host. Here's a couple you can try: Photobucket, ImageShack, imgur (Note that photobucket has a bandwidth limit and imageshack eventually deletes old images)

Step 1: Upload your Image - For this step it's difficult to give precise instructions, since they'll vary depending on which image host you use. For ImageShack, you just click Browse, select your image from your hard drive, and then click "Upload Now." Photobucket's a bit more complicated; you'll need to log into your Album and use the uploader there.

Step 2: Obtain a Direct Link - Once your image is uploaded, you should be able to get a direct link. You can recognize a direct link because it's simply a URL. Here's an example from my photobucket album.
Code: Select all
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/Xanathar/InsaneCultist.gif

Step 3: Paste Link Into Post - Pretty self-explanatory. Paste the link into your post.

Step 4: Select and use IMG tags - Select the URL and surround it with image tags. It should look like this.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/Xanathar/InsaneCultist.gif[/img]

And that does it! The result should appear in your post as an image:

Insane Cultist utilizes a paint attack!

Method 2: Attachment
Advantage: Doesn't require an outside image host.
Disadvantage: Large or poorly compressed images are a plague upon this site's storage space and bandwidth. Images may be removed or deleted at any time.

Step 1: Open the attachment panel - When posting, at the bottom of the page is a tab labelled "Options." Next to that, is a tab labelled "Upload Attachment." Click the Upload Attachment tab.

Step 2: Click "Choose" next to the Filename field - You'll be prompted to select your image from a location on your computer.

Step 2a (Optional): Enter a File Comment - You may enter a text file comment to be added to your image. This file comment will be displayed in italics beneath the image itself.

Step 3: Click "Add the File" - Pretty self explanatory. Click the button.

Step 3a (Optional): Add the image to a specific place in your post - You're actually done and your image is uploaded at this point. However, if you want your image to appear in a particular place in your post, you need to click the "Place Inline" function. This will add code to your post that determines where the image is displayed. You can cut and copy this attachment tag wherever you want. Here's an example.
[attachment=0]Insane Cultist.gif[/attachment]

And you're done! If you don't do Step 3a, the image will appear at the bottom of your post.

KEEP IN MIND: Bitmaps and large images are evil. Never upload .bmp images, and reduce large images to a smaller size before uploading them. It saves bandwidth, and it's considered common courtesy.

Enjoy your posting.
Insane Cultist.gif
Insane Cultist utilizes a paint attack!
Insane Cultist.gif (1.45 KiB) Viewed 23888 times

EDIT: Blagh, ninja'ed by Pegadygor. I blame my attempt to write a full tutorial.
Last edited by Nerva on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nerva
???

Postby Pegadygor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:56 pm

EDIT: Blagh, ninja'ed by Pegadygor. I blame my attempt to write a full tutorial.

Your full tutorial is excellent though. Shouldn't leave any question unanswered. ^^
Pegadygor

Postby Nerva » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Pegadygor wrote:Your full tutorial is excellent though. Shouldn't leave any question unanswered. ^^

If it does I'll fix it until it doesn't!

*Hextuple-wields a monkey-wrench, screwdriver, saw, power drill, protractor, and pencil simultaneously while laughing maniacally*
Nerva
???

Postby Cicatrix_Manet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks guys. So does it work via google images. So say you went to Google image search >> click on image >> view full image (so it appears on an empty screen) could you then hotlink that page and it would appear on the forum? Thats how i get most of my images.
Cicatrix_Manet
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nerva » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 pm

There's a small problem with that, Cicatrix_Manet - Google Images isn't an image host. It's simply a repository of thumbnails and links to the full-size image. While it would work, from a technical standpoint, you shouldn't do it, because you probably don't have permission to direct-link from the sites themselves. That's bandwidth-theft, as I mentioned in the tutorial.

Now, some sites will replace images hotlinked this way with another image, or they'll blacklist aryion.com so that this site can't access theirs. Even if they don't, it's bad practice to hotlink images unless you have express permission. The best thing to do, instead, is to save the image to your hard drive, and then upload it to an image host, then hotlink from there. This way, you're not committing any bandwidth theft.

Before you do that though, make sure you check the image's copyright and distribution policies. According to site rules and this post, redistributing images without permission from the artist/copyright holder to is forbidden and could get you banned.

What to do if you don't have distribution permission, and you don't have permission to hotlink from the source? Create an ordinary link to the page the source is found on. You can't be accused of bandwidth theft (you're simply diverting traffic towards their site, which is generally seen as a good thing), and since you never deliberately copied the image, you can't be accused of copyright violation. Win-win for all concerned.
Last edited by Nerva on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerva
???

Postby Cicatrix_Manet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Ah, thats inconvenient. Thanks muchly for the help though
Cicatrix_Manet
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nerva » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Cicatrix_Manet wrote:Thanks muchly for the help though

Hey no problem. If you got any further questions, ask away.
Nerva
???

Postby Bright » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Could someone help me a bit with the chat thing? Either I am not finding the register button, or I have forgotten the username I once had along with my password.

Do anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong?
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Nerva » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:35 am

You might want to try asking in the chatroom forum, Bright. The chatroom FAQ might also help you out.

Here's a little tidbit that most don't know about.

This board supports URL links for quote sources!

Yes, it's possible to insert a link into the "<subject> wrote" portion of a quotebox. For example...
Nerva wrote:This is an ordinary quote. Notice my name in the upper left is normal text.

Here's what this looks like in BBCode.
[quote="Nerva"]This is an ordinary quote.  Notice my name in the upper left is normal text.[/quote]

I can make my name link to my forum user info by using URL tags. Here's what that looks like:
Nerva wrote:Now my name in the upper left is link to my user info, by surrounding it in URL tags that contain a link.

And here's what that looks like in code.
[quote="[url=http://aryion.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8843]Nerva[/url]"]Now my name in the upper left is  link to my user info, by surrounding it in URL tags that contain a link.[/quote]

Now, the important thing to remember here is the use of quotation marks (" "). Quotation marks must surround the name of whoever or whatever you're quoting. If you convert it to a URL, the quotation marks must be outside the URL tags.

Failing to use the quotes right causes the quotebox to break in various ways. For example, if I do this...
[quote=[url=http://aryion.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8843]Nerva[/url]]Uh, oh, I omitted the quotation marks...[/quote]

I get this as a result.

[quote=Nerva]Uh, oh, I omitted the quotation marks...[/quote]

Notice that the URL works fine, it's just that the entire quote tags get broke. If this happens, you just need to add quotes around the URL tags to fix it.
Nerva
???

Postby Omegawolf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 am

Hi, I've been offline for about a year and I've forgotten what characters I've created in vore chat. Is there a way I can check that?
Omegawolf
Been posting for a bit

Postby Bright » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks man, that helped.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby prisoner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 pm

I see that people have asked about avatars in this thread, so I'm going to ask a question here instead of making a new topic.

For years, I had my preferences set so that I could see other people's avatars. Just recently, I switched the setting so that now I cannot see any of the avatars. Is there a way that I can block only certain avatars while allowing others to be seen simultaneously? I really do like looking at some of them, but not all. x.x
prisoner
---

Postby Nerva » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:30 pm

There's no option right now (to my knowledge, anyway) to only see particular avatars. It's either all or nothing.

Oh, and there's a small update to my tutorial on image linking. I've recently come across imgur, which is another excellent free picture host that you can use for offsite linking.

Now if you don't mind, I'd like to discuss...

Often-missed useful features
Direct link to post: If you want to link to a particular post in a thread, look for the small page icon (Image) in the upper-left corner of the post, just under the post's title. Clicking that will change the URL in the address bar to point directly to the indicated post. Copy & paste that into the proper URL tags to make a link that takes you directly to that particular post. For instance, this link goes right to this post, and this one goes right to my first post in this thread.

The strikethrough tag: You can actually strike out text in your post. It works just like bold, italics, and underline tags, but with the letter S. Here's what it looks like in code.
[s]Stricken Text[/s]

And here's what it looks like in post.
Stricken Text

The user map: Eka's has a neat little map feature that you can use to indicate your rough geographical location and view the location markers others set. You can add yourself to the map here. Keep in mind, you should take the location markers set by others with a grain of salt - nobody's required to be accurate, and I personally recommend you be as vague as possible to avoid creepy stalkers.

The site FAQ and Rules: Yeah, I know I link this one all the freakin' time, but it really can't be stressed enough; if you're new, read it before you start posting.
Last edited by Nerva on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerva
???

Postby Eupeptic » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 am

prisoner wrote:Is there a way that I can block only certain avatars while allowing others to be seen simultaneously?

I have done this before, but you can't do it entirely with the settings here on the Portal; it requires the use of AdBlock or equal. Basically, you set your preferences on the Portal to show all avatars, and then block the ones you don't want to see with AdBlock. AdBlock normally is used to filter *all* the images from a certain site, but you can use it to filter just one image if you want.

Eupeptic
I've done no harm, I keep to myself. There's nothing wrong with my, state of mental health. -- Men At Work, "Who Can It Be Now?"
Eupeptic
Official Molecule

Postby ichbinich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 am

Got a question, how do you create an avatar link to people's userpage in the gallery decriptions, like in the example below?

http://aryion.com/g4/view/205861
ichbinich
SHARK!

Postby Ka-Atis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 am

ichbinich wrote:Got a question, how do you create an avatar link to people's userpage in the gallery decriptions, like in the example below

you write :iconUsername:
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby ichbinich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:58 am

Aha! Thank you^^
ichbinich
SHARK!

PreviousNext

Return to Technical stuff