What makes great vore dialogue?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

What makes great vore dialogue?

Postby ArrowversePreds » Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 am

Sometimes, I’ll find a piece of art that I don’t find very attractive, but after I’ve read the dialogue, I find it really hot. I’m trying to add good dialogue like that to an image I finished recently. Does anybody have any thoughts on what makes dialogue really good in a vore image, because I’m hoping hearing other people’s preferences will help me understand my own.
ArrowversePreds
Been posting for a bit

Re: What makes great vore dialogue?

Postby Sitharc » Tue May 11, 2021 2:49 am

Depends on the overall scene and context during and beforehand... as well as sometimes what the planned outcome is for that image.

Like, for example, one of the things that gets me is affectionate cruelty... things a pred says (or does) that least seem all wonderful and endearing, but one way or another also have cruel/dark undertones given the moment. Or specifically says other things to tease/torment their prey, but using a tone of voice, certain words, etc to get that effect. Even something as simple as a lullaby works great, regardless if it's just humming or if there are fitting custom lyrics for the moment.

Outside of that, just fun and general teasing is enough, but more sadistic words and tones can take it to another level depending on the case.

Might help if told us about the image or least general gist and scenario of it so can help.

If using characters that aren't one's own, it's great when the dialogue is something that the character actually would probably say in that case. Especially if can fit in their catchphrase or some fitting reference/joke to it.

Some other examples I'm sure, but hope that helps some!
Sitharc
---

Postby empatheticapathy » Tue May 11, 2021 3:09 am

The same things that make dialogue good in non-vore situations. Put consistent characterization first, and identify what information this dialogue needs to give to the reader before writing anything. That and brevity is the sole of wit; double-meanings are dialog's best friend.
If you wanna just talk about what I, personally, enjoy: a focus on the pred's happiness/pleasure/benefit. For me, vore is about one person's loss for another's gain; if you don't have the latter, it's just loss.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby ArrowversePreds » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am

Sitharc wrote:Like, for example, one of the things that gets me is affectionate cruelty... things a pred says (or does) that least seem all wonderful and endearing, but one way or another also have cruel/dark undertones given the moment. Or specifically says other things to tease/torment their prey, but using a tone of voice, certain words, etc to get that effect. Even something as simple as a lullaby works great, regardless if it's just humming or if there are fitting custom lyrics for the moment.

Might help if told us about the image or least general gist and scenario of it so can help.

If using characters that aren't one's own, it's great when the dialogue is something that the character actually would probably say in that case.

“Affectionate cruelty”. Yeah, you just identified one of the things I like in dialogue really well. I like the idea of dark undertones, despite the fact that the prey is actually casually.

The image is of Marceline from Adventure Time having eaten a candy citizen. Princess bubblegum is out of the perspective of the picture, with disproving dialogue.

I think what I’ve already written has dialogue that feels like it fits Adventure Time characters’ way of speaking. I just need to add elements of “affectionate cruelty”.

empatheticapathy wrote:identify what information this dialogue needs to give to the reader before writing anything. That and brevity is the sole of wit; double-meanings are dialog's best friend.

For me, vore is about one person's loss for another's gain; if you don't have the latter, it's just loss.

I think that’s a really good idea. I plan on writing exactly what I need to tell the reader rather than just trying to brute force the dialogue by trying to write it multiple times.

I think vore is very similar to me so I’ll also add a reference to the prey’s digestion, something I didn’t in my current draft of the dialogue.

Thanks for the help, both of you, and it’s nice to chat again, sitharc.
ArrowversePreds
Been posting for a bit

Postby Nikkidafox » Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm

ArrowversePreds wrote:
Sitharc wrote:Like, for example, one of the things that gets me is affectionate cruelty... things a pred says (or does) that least seem all wonderful and endearing, but one way or another also have cruel/dark undertones given the moment. Or specifically says other things to tease/torment their prey, but using a tone of voice, certain words, etc to get that effect. Even something as simple as a lullaby works great, regardless if it's just humming or if there are fitting custom lyrics for the moment.

If using characters that aren't one's own, it's great when the dialogue is something that the character actually would probably say in that case.

“Affectionate cruelty”. Yeah, you just identified one of the things I like in dialogue really well. I like the idea of dark undertones, despite the fact that the prey is actually casually.

The image is of Marceline from Adventure Time having eaten a candy citizen. Princess bubblegum is out of the perspective of the picture, with disproving dialogue.

I think what I’ve already written has dialogue that feels like it fits Adventure Time characters’ way of speaking. I just need to add elements of “affectionate cruelty”.

empatheticapathy wrote:identify what information this dialogue needs to give to the reader before writing anything. That and brevity is the sole of wit; double-meanings are dialog's best friend.

For me, vore is about one person's loss for another's gain; if you don't have the latter, it's just loss.

I think that’s a really good idea. I plan on writing exactly what I need to tell the reader rather than just trying to brute force the dialogue by trying to write it multiple times.

I think vore is very similar to me so I’ll also add a reference to the prey’s digestion, something I didn’t in my current draft of the dialogue.

Thanks for the help, both of you, and it’s nice to chat again, sitharc.

Absolutely the "affectionate cruelty". Just little things like randomly burping in the prey's face, or reminding them that their destiny is in the toilet. It just really gets me going, and I have a prey friend who just squirms when I do things like that to him.
Nikkidafox
Participator

Postby Sitharc » Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 pm

If going for disproving, maybe a typical lecture a mother would give or a noblewoman would give a peasant bout proper behavior... you know... not eating/murdering innocent people or at all?

Or have her freaking out with her disapproval.

But stuff referring to digestion in some way is great too, or someones fate being to become their body fat and/or nothing more than a mere pile of poop.

The prey doesn't need to hear it very well or even at all, persay, it's more for the pred and/or us, the viewers.

But yeah, a pred coo'ing or doting on her prey despite enjoying their suffering and the knowledge she's slowly and painfully dissolving them alive? That's great.

Or taunts like 'What's the matter? Dying in there?... Good (boy/girl added if want)" or "You're adorable when you're digesting, you know that?", etc Or similar statements but reworded to fit a characters personalty and the tone you want. Or for other stages of digestion or least disposal... a 'good riddance...' works wonders too usually as well.

Or about how they'll never find them... how their mother will never know that actually died this evening instead of just assuming they've disappeared and are still out in the world somewhere, lonely and scared. Oblivious to the grave danger they are in, especially when the pred is also doing it for sick kicks.

But yeah that one concept is great for babysitter preds or even mother/sister/auntly ones, they can talk/act sweet yet to a degree mean it in the worse way, or say sadistic things towards their prey but in a motherly sweet endearing tone. It's already bad enough in there, might as well mindfuck them if they are able to hear it.

In a sister/brother thing, or some others perhaps, stuff where the pred uses terms/insults that such a pairing would normally result in. Imagine a pred calling her lil brother prey a twerp or a dweeb for example. "No can do, dweeb, your not coming out of me till you're mush coming out of my tush... Isn't this fun?" as she giggles or sinisterly sniggers to herself.

"Aww, what's the matter wee one? You can't take the heat/mama's gut sauna?"

Know a certain other artist used it as his calling card before, but out loud or to herself, referring to the prey as 'foolish food' or similar is a nice reference.

Or stuff where the pred makes it SOUND like they care or still intend to help/let them out, when the truth is the complete opposite. To where the victim actually believes they still care, least to an extent, but slowly fleeting as the minutes and later hours go by.

Other times, silence is best towards the prey and she just talks/thinks to herself, as only a crazy person talks to her food, right? Nothing like treating your prey like just another piece of food, one that doesn't have feelings or well being, let alone an opinion.

Or if not words, but actions? Stuff like adding bits of normal food down upon them, degrading them as they are just simply food now and will stew with other foodstuff... or eat a toy or something of theirs. Something that would get a reaction out of them.

Or 'helping' someone find their loved one, but intentionally waiting for digestion to do it's thing to some extent or another, then 'showing' them where they 'went'. Imagine finding out your loved one had been not just eaten, but is now in a very sorry state!

This stuff gets me way more than a pred who just hurls swears and insults down at their victim.

For me the stuff comes AFTER eating them, I consider it something else to flat out tell them or tease them vore eating them that their going to be in the toilet later in the week. Maybe some teasing lil burps to the face, but nothing to set off their danger sensors or anything.
Sitharc
---

Postby Krovennan » Tue May 11, 2021 4:51 pm

First rule of knowing what to say for vore; Know when to shut up.

This is a big issue with IRL vore vids, who tend to blather on for 20 minutes uninterrupted to pad out the runtime, they're a great option to find out what not to do in vore dialogue, so I'm gonna be using your average IRL vore vid as an example for my points.

As said before, know when to stop talking. Going into excruciating detail comes off as forced and unnatural and is going to just bore the audience to death. Teasing is great, but know when you're doing too much, especially when you start just repeating the same sentences over and over. If theres nothing else to say to make things better, don't force it.

Second, know the right words. It doesn't matter how you slice it, oesophagus is not a sexy word, and vore is a fetish. Keep your terminology simple and casual, to reflect how intrinsically intimate the moment is, otherwise you just sound like a robot. Unless your pred is a robot, in which case, go hard on it.

Third. Characterisation, Characterisation, Characterisation! Whats your character's approach to vore? Are they sexually aroused by eating someone? ragged breaths and guttural groaning tones to their voice as they close in and cram someone into their mouth? Are they coldly indifferent, maybe not even speaking to or acknowledging the prey at all, and simply swallowing them with complete detachment, like an assassin callously dispatching a target without even a flicker of emotion. Maybe your pred is a protector, soothing their prey as they wriggle, like a mother reassuring their child after a nightmare. Know what your character's attitude is to vore and go hard on that tone. Properly done, it makes all the difference.

These are more general guidelines, but good dialogue can sometimes be hard to come by. Hopefully these tips will give someone some guidance to help take their art to that next level.
Krovennan
Somewhat familiar

Postby Sitharc » Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm

Krovennan wrote:First rule of knowing what to say for vore; Know when to shut up.

This is a big issue with IRL vore vids, who tend to blather on for 20 minutes uninterrupted to pad out the runtime, they're a great option to find out what not to do in vore dialogue, so I'm gonna be using your average IRL vore vid as an example for my points.

As said before, know when to stop talking. Going into excruciating detail comes off as forced and unnatural and is going to just bore the audience to death. Teasing is great, but know when you're doing too much, especially when you start just repeating the same sentences over and over. If theres nothing else to say to make things better, don't force it.

Second, know the right words. It doesn't matter how you slice it, oesophagus is not a sexy word, and vore is a fetish. Keep your terminology simple and casual, to reflect how intrinsically intimate the moment is, otherwise you just sound like a robot. Unless your pred is a robot, in which case, go hard on it.

Third. Characterisation, Characterisation, Characterisation! Whats your character's approach to vore? Are they sexually aroused by eating someone? ragged breaths and guttural groaning tones to their voice as they close in and cram someone into their mouth? Are they coldly indifferent, maybe not even speaking to or acknowledging the prey at all, and simply swallowing them with complete detachment, like an assassin callously dispatching a target without even a flicker of emotion. Maybe your pred is a protector, soothing their prey as they wriggle, like a mother reassuring their child after a nightmare. Know what your character's attitude is to vore and go hard on that tone. Properly done, it makes all the difference.

These are more general guidelines, but good dialogue can sometimes be hard to come by. Hopefully these tips will give someone some guidance to help take their art to that next level.

Agreed on the knowing when to shut up part. The more a pred talks too, the more likely they'll be heard and then caught.

Also, in my opinion, try to avoid using vore itself in the dialogue, least in regards of otherwise not using words like eat, eaten, swallow, etc.... Takes me out of it when a pred goes "I'm going to vore you!"
Sitharc
---

Postby Krovennan » Tue May 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Sitharc wrote:Agreed on the knowing when to shut up part. The more a pred talks too, the more likely they'll be heard and then caught.

Also, in my opinion, try to avoid using vore itself in the dialogue, least in regards of otherwise not using words like eat, eaten, swallow, etc.... Takes me out of it when a pred goes "I'm going to vore you!"

Vore as a verb is god awful
Krovennan
Somewhat familiar

Postby Sitharc » Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 pm

Agreed, it so very much is one of the worst things to see in writing.
Sitharc
---

Postby ArrowversePreds » Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Krovennan wrote:As said before, know when to stop talking. Going into excruciating detail comes off as forced and unnatural and is going to just bore the audience to death. Teasing is great, but know when you're doing too much, especially when you start just repeating the same sentences over and over. If theres nothing else to say to make things better, don't force it.

Those are the bits that helped me. I’ve finished with the dialogue so I just need to add it to the image. I’ll upload it tomorrow. Thanks!

Sitharc wrote:Also, in my opinion, try to avoid using vore itself in the dialogue, least in regards of otherwise not using words like eat, eaten, swallow, etc.... Takes me out of it when a pred goes "I'm going to vore you!"

Couldn’t agree more with this. It sounds cringe as hell in writing.
ArrowversePreds
Been posting for a bit

Postby Sitharc » Tue May 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Sure when even making the example or explaining it, part of us die inside. As in 'I hate myself for even typing this, ew'.

Vore can be used in writing if it's referring to the fetish itself like the character finding a website for it or something. Yet also try lazy super casual usages of it, so no vore high or any of that sort of nonsense.

Obviously same applies to prey and onlookers with using it as a verb thing. Tho the only time could see it being used (still refrain from imo) would be if victim never even knew of vore before or what it even is. Keeping it cryptic as hell till it happens, as for me at least, telling a prey beforehand that going to eat them also tends to take me out of it. No decent killer is gonna go to their victim and state that going to shoot/kill/murder them.
Sitharc
---

Postby NightRoller » Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm

This was an interesting thread to read.
Basically, for a good vore dialogue, make a good dialogue itself for the situation, plus a little nuance ---is what I'm getting from this thread, at least.
We live in a culture of addictions. What's yours?
NightRoller
Somewhat familiar

Postby kowkushion » Tue May 11, 2021 11:49 pm

This is a small thing, but food-themed pet names for prey can be fun too- calling them "cupcake", "dumpling", "little snack", "morsel", or just "tasty little thing" adds a little humiliation/dominance to spice things up.
kowkushion
New to the forum

Postby Sitharc » Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 am

kowkushion wrote:This is a small thing, but food-themed pet names for prey can be fun too- calling them "cupcake", "dumpling", "little snack", "morsel", or just "tasty little thing" adds a little humiliation/dominance to spice things up.

Stuff like this too! When appropriate of course, and ideally when the prey still has no idea what's bout to happen to them... less they are already inside of course.

Pet names in general too, but food based ones are great, or things like scrumptious as well. Especially if pre vore teasing with that and just casually and naturally teasing/seducing victim with such words, while not making it obvious at all that when the pred actually means it and not just as a cute tease to make someone flustered.
Sitharc
---

Postby ArrowversePreds » Wed May 12, 2021 1:51 am

kowkushion wrote:This is a small thing, but food-themed pet names for prey can be fun too- calling them "cupcake", "dumpling", "little snack", "morsel", or just "tasty little thing" adds a little humiliation/dominance to spice things up.

I actually wanted to add something like this to my dialogue. I couldn’t find a place for it where it felt natural tho
ArrowversePreds
Been posting for a bit

Postby Hozomat » Wed May 12, 2021 10:46 am

What makes a good dialogue, vore or not, in my opinion:

Suggestivity : what is not told is more powerful than the explicit. Implying what will happen next is good for teasing.

Rhythm : Give a good distribution of speech to each character to assert their presence. If someone dominates other, then they can have more lines, and in some case can have a monologue. But avoid making them tell the unnecessary or making them tell too much information at once.

Logical movement : The dialogue has to follow a reasoning, it has to move, to go somewhere. The dialogue must not repeat itself unnecessarily.
(Example : "Why are you eating me?" "Because [insert pred reasons here]" "You're crazy! How can you do that?!" "[insert the exact same reasons because the dialogue didn't progress]")

Variety : Most languages, namely English, have a *lot* of synonyms and expressions to say the same thing. Use them to make the characters more 3 dimensional in their personalities. (If all your pred characters always say the same "I will eat you", it's boring. If one pred say "I will devour your flesh!" It's already much scarier, and if another pred says "I'm gonna gobble you up!" it's much cuter). This also helps avoiding repetition mentionned above.

Simplicity : Your characters are (in most cases) humans with a normal human brain. They will usually use simple sentences. Therefore, avoid quotes with too much details ("I can feel the acid surrounding me, dripping from the stomach walls!" nope, that's too much.). It also serves as a counter-balance to the 2 previous points I made. Too much variety and movement in very few lines can be off putting.

That's pretty much all I can say so far. :)
Hozomat
Somewhat familiar

Postby Shugoki » Wed May 12, 2021 11:03 am

One thing to remember when writing dialogue is that people don't really talk IRL like they do in fiction. Dialogue should SOUND like real speech, but you'll always be writing it to push towards a certain endpoint of a conversation, whereas real people respond to others with whatever seems appropriate. In fiction, both characters want to get something from talking to one another, even if they're cooperating or trying to offer help. That's something to keep in mind in any scene--nobody's going to talk if they have nothing to gain from it, so what do they want? In the case of vore, what does the pred need that talking to the prey can provide them? What is the prey trying to get out of it? And keep in mind, they're not always gonna be super sophisticated about it. A lot of preds are just sadists taunting their victim, or they're frustrated with their prey and telling them off in the way a lot of us swear at games or inanimate objects when we're frustrated; and the prey is either trying to bargain for their freedom or, again, get some base gratification from telling off their captor. But you need to do it in a believable way, because if you go too hard on one aspect of either character, you just end up writing '80s cartoon dialogue, where everyone's one-dimensional and ultimately rather silly.

Another tip: read your dialogue out loud if you're in doubt. It's easier to know when something sounds dumb when you hear it or say it than when you read it. Obviously, you want to be alone for this, but trust me when I say it really does help you notice when something's off. Again, dialogue should sound like something a character would conceivably say. Not only that, but every character should feel like they have consistent mannerisms and motives, and this can be hard to keep in mind when trying to appeal to a kink, like if you want a certain pred/prey dynamic that doesn't fit the characters in a scene.
Fuck are you reading this for? Keep scrolling, fool!
Shugoki
Somewhat familiar

Postby ArrowversePreds » Thu May 13, 2021 4:34 pm

Hozomat wrote:Suggestivity : what is not told is more powerful than the explicit. Implying what will happen next is good for teasing.

Variety : Most languages, namely English, have a *lot* of synonyms and expressions to say the same thing. Use them to make the characters more 3 dimensional in their personalities. (If all your pred characters always say the same "I will eat you", it's boring. If one pred say "I will devour your flesh!" It's already much scarier, and if another pred says "I'm gonna gobble you up!" it's much cuter). This also helps avoiding repetition mentionned above.

Simplicity : Your characters are (in most cases) humans with a normal human brain. They will usually use simple sentences. Therefore, avoid quotes with too much details ("I can feel the acid surrounding me, dripping from the stomach walls!" nope, that's too much.). It also serves as a counter-balance to the 2 previous points I made. Too much variety and movement in very few lines can be off putting.

The parts I left in were the tips I found useful. Thanks!

Shugoki wrote:Dialogue should SOUND like real speech, but you'll always be writing it to push towards a certain endpoint of a conversation, whereas real people respond to others with whatever seems appropriate. In fiction, both characters want to get something from talking to one another, even if they're cooperating or trying to offer help. That's something to keep in mind in any scene--nobody's going to talk if they have nothing to gain from it, so what do they want? In the case of vore, what does the pred need that talking to the prey can provide them? What is the prey trying to get out of it?

Another tip: read your dialogue out loud if you're in doubt. It's easier to know when something sounds dumb when you hear it or say it than when you read it. Obviously, you want to be alone for this, but trust me when I say it really does help you notice when something's off. Again, dialogue should sound like something a character would conceivably say. Not only that, but every character should feel like they have consistent mannerisms and motives, and this can be hard to keep in mind when trying to appeal to a kink, like if you want a certain pred/prey dynamic that doesn't fit the characters in a scene.

All of this was really useful. I found that I could improve my writing by removing dialouge that serves no purpose to the fictional conversation. Also, I never realised how useful it is to say dialouge out loud. Just thinking it makes it really hard to tell if it sounds in character at times.
ArrowversePreds
Been posting for a bit

Return to General Vore Discussion