How do you pronounce vorarephilia?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

How do you pronounce vorarephilia?

Postby RoTheHuman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 am

I've been involved with this kink for so long and I never actually stopped to consider this. I haven't found an entry in a dictionary that includes a pronunciation guide so far.

I've always said "vor ruh fee lee uh". However it looks like here should be one more syllable in there. At the same time, "vor ruh ruh fee lee uh" is awkward to say, so I think it makes sense to drop that extra syllable.

Plus, there's also alternative spellings "voraphilia" and "voreaphilia" that are more in line with that pronunciation. I actually prefer both of those spellings to the "official" one.

What do y'all think?
RoTheHuman
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: How do you pronounce vorarephilia?

Postby BeautifulBad9 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:50 am

I would say "vora" than "vorea

then again I during my psych a level (which caused me to hop on here to find out why it exists) I would say "voraphilia"

also there in the pronunciation of "deamons" where a similar argument is made as "demons" is usual pronunciation.

maybe this was helpful.
char https://rp.aryion.com/profile/thehunger well that's the main one, alt list is a general mess tbh

feel free to pm
BeautifulBad9
Been posting for a bit

Postby ItsSongxing » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:21 pm

"Vorarephilia" comes from the Greek "philia", meaning "love", and the Latin "Vorare", meaning "to swallow". Since the "Vorare" comes directly from Latin, it has no silent letters; it's "vo-ra-re". (Or "wo-RA-re", if you're a stickler for classical pronunciation.) If you need a better guide, the "ra" and "re" are pronounced like the Japanese syllables.
ItsSongxing
Participator

Postby R_U_Snacksize » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Some perfectionists might dislike mixing Greek with Latin. I am not as much a stickler for the classic rules. I tend to just call it "voraphilia" and pronounce it more like vore a feel ya. Personally I do not think it matters that much.
R_U_Snacksize
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby JMTFS » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:01 pm

BeautifulBad9 wrote:I would say "vora" than "vorea

then again I during my psych a level (which caused me to hop on here to find out why it exists) I would say "voraphilia"

also there in the pronunciation of "deamons" where a similar argument is made as "demons" is usual pronunciation.

maybe this was helpful.

You learned about vore in class?
JMTFS
New to the forum

Postby Bigfatpiggy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:23 pm

Voh-Rah-Rey-Philia
Bigfatpiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby quickcrunch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

I just go vora- feel- ee- uh, and for voraphile it's vora-file. I sorta learned how to pronounce it from watching some videos about talk of it. The vids weren't positive, but I did learn some stuff regarding how to pronounce the word.
quickcrunch
Somewhat familiar

Postby Darjus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:25 pm

When you build composed words you use the roots from starting words: in vorare, vor is root, a is verb conjugation, re is verb.
Still, you cannot simply attach vor to filia due to pronunciation: you need a vocal to make it euphonic.
Now it's a little tricky: 90%+ of composed words (-filia, -logia, -fobia type) use an euphonic o, even the ones whose original roots end with different vocals;
that's because even more composed words use a noun as root and not a verb, and they lack the verb conjugation vocal a/e/i as potential (but not necessary) route,
and o (os/on) is the most regular and new noun desination in ancient Greek.
Anyway it's to note that use modifies the language, vore is the common term and in english a and e vocals sound pretty similar,
so some might prefer vorophilia as the most regular form, and some might prefer voraphilia as the most common form.

TL;DR vorophilia or voraphilia are both acceptable, not vorarephilia that is as annoying as wrong, thanks :gulp:
"Some people are worth melting for". Olaf, Frozen
Darjus
Been posting for a bit

Postby pendingdel3056hb25 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:43 pm

I basically only ever say it in my head, but it ends up being something like /vɔɹˌɑɹəˈfɪliə/ ("vor-AR-uh-FILL-ee-uh") or /vɔɹˌɛɹəˈfɪliə/("vor-AIR-uh-FILL-ee-uh"), with the second one being much more casual.
pendingdel3056hb25
Been posting for a bit

Postby Dindu » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 pm

I've always believed that the word should be "voraphilia", since that's what it would be if it weren't for bad Latin translating machines in the 90s. I actually came across that version first. Bill Levy said the fetish was just called "cannibalism" in the 80s and before.
Dindu
Been posting for a bit

Postby blergle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:54 am

Vor-'arr-eh-FEEL-ee-ah. Six syllables, primary accent on the fourth, secondary accent on the second.
blergle
---

Postby Assimilation » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Vo-RARE-uh-FILL-ee-uh.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion