Philosophy and Vore: Reformation and Theseus' Ship

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: Philosophy and Vore: Reformation and Theseus' Ship

Postby Thatonepred » Tue May 24, 2016 2:07 am

1ring42 wrote:Though the question also applies to UB situations.

If Jim were unbirthed then regressed and reborn, would Jim still be Jim?

Interesting to note, some regression/rebirth stories have the kids remembering who they were before they were UB'd. In these cases whether or not they are the same people is another question entirely.

And, if one were to churn him into baby batter and impregnate someone, assuming the sperm were to contain ONLY his DNA, then is the baby still Jim?

Vae wrote:The same goes for the clone. Once it came into existence in a world where Jim was no more, it is Jim. A perfect reconstruction of Jim's digested bits (even Alice and with memories) is now the 'new Jim' to me.

Terribly off topic, but where did Alice come from? And do I know her?
Sorry, it's going to bug me until I get an answer. :lol:
Everyone dies. Few live forever. Neither apply to Me.

Consumam ergo sum
Thatonepred
Somewhat familiar

Postby MachineEgg » Tue May 24, 2016 2:58 am

When I was around 8-10 years old I had a weird existential crisis period where I became convinced that every night I died, and every morning someone else woke up in by bed with my memories only to die the next night when they went to sleep. It messed me up for quite a while, but I eventually decided that as long as I didn't realize I was dead I shouldn't worry about it. I have the same attitude towards this, Jim is dead and gone, but as long as the copy doesn't realize this it doesn't matter. However this only applies to the more science based scenarios, if we are leaning more towards fantasy anything goes as far as I am concerned.

This question is actually something I love in fiction, as every author/artist has a different view of how it would play out, and while I have my own personal answer I love seeing alternate explanations for this concept. I especially like the multiple copy issue, where if we make one replacement Jim what stops us from making 2, or 20 for that matter? Is one the real copy, or are they all legitimate, and what if the first Jim somehow survived, how does he compare to the copies?

And now I'm off on a tangent, but what if we made a copy of Jim, and immediately froze the original while allowing the copy to walk away thinking it was Jim. Then, several years later we wake up the original Jim to a world where Copy Jim has been living his life and creating new experiences for himself. Both started out as functionally the same person, but now the copy has a more complete experience of Jim's life, which is the true Jim in that scenario? And then returning back to the topic, if you end up digested and an identical person takes your place does the continued experiences of the replacement make them more you than you?
MachineEgg
Been posting for a bit

Postby 1ring42 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 am

Thatonepred wrote:
And, if one were to churn him into baby batter and impregnate someone, assuming the sperm were to contain ONLY his DNA, then is the baby still Jim?

Excellent! I was going to raise this question but you beat me to it.
1ring42
---

Postby Speedyblupi » Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 am

Identity as a person is subjective. Am I the same person I was 10 years ago? My personality and body was completely different. There's no fundamental physical attribute that makes me the same person as I was 10 years ago. There's no physical difference to the present whether the change in the past was gradual or a complete instantaneous reformation.

I remember Dawkins said something about how his child self is dead in "Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life", but I can't find the quote...

There are a lot of things people might propose to define a person, but there's always a flaw. Genetics? Identical twins share DNA, and your DNA can mutate. Memories? The perception of others? These can both be warped, lost or imagined. Spirit or Soul? There's no reason to believe it exists. The way our intuition and language present identity is misleading, because the concept of "self" as a coherent entity simply doesn't reflect reality. At present I have less in common with what I used to be 10 years ago or what I will be in 100 than I do with any of you. Our past and future selves have no physical existence in the present. We talk of "ourselves" and a journey through the entire life of the arbitrary mass that is "I".

This also makes me think of things like prosthetics. They don't come from our body, but they're integrated into it. Ultimately every part of us comes from outside sources anyway, so is it really so different to have our body structure change in response to how we live our lives than to replace part of it with plastic and electronics? Is Jim with a prosthetic leg still Jim? Is Jim with a brain implant that augments or changes his mind still Jim? Is Jim with his brain entirely replaced by a computer simulation of his physical brain still Jim?

TL:DR:

"Jim" does not exist, so the question is meaningless. The concept of people existing as individuals doesn't make sense physically, even if it seems intuitive.
Speedyblupi
Participator

Postby RedBoggle » Tue May 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Speedyblupi wrote:TL:DR:

"Jim" does not exist, so the question is meaningless. The concept of people existing as individuals doesn't make sense physically, even if it seems intuitive.

Jim might be even less existent than that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus
This thought experiment reminds me of an excellent video that Kurzgesagt made that might complicate the debate even further. If life is fundamentally made up of things that aren't alive, where do we draw the line between what constitutes 'alive' and 'dead'. There are things like viruses that may neither be alive nor dead, or maybe they're both. Mitochondria use to be living bacteria that willingly let itself be consumed by early cells to enter a symbiotic relationship, but they're no longer 'alive' in the traditional sense. They're only as independent as one's liver or gallbladder. The video even mentions strains of viruses that can re-animate dead cells as a means of transferring it's DNA. Is the cell still the same cell since it never had any conscious to tell the difference? The closest thing to a sense of individuality a cell has is stimulation from it's environment. It doesn't think or feel, it simply acts on its immediate surroundings. If we're made up of these biological computers, how similar to them are we? Is everything that makes us human just a more complicated and evolved version of the simplest of instincts and stimulation? If so, is sentience and maybe life itself just a grande illusion?
Maybe Jim's not dead because he was never alive.

As for my take on Theseus, I think the best modern analogy is the teleporter from Star Trek. There was even an entire episode devoted to the fear of using it, but they never delve into the philosophical ramifications of it. I guess they just hand wave the question by claiming that the consciousness is transferred along with the rest of you, but that claim wouldn't hold up if the teleporters work like they say they work in the series. If you're torn apart atom by atom, then you should be completely obliterated by the process. We are constantly exchanging and discarding cells, but there's enough coverage by the other cells to prevent information from getting lost. Even so, our brain cells live, die and reproduce at a much slower pace, so we are in no threat of mentally dying until the cellular deterioration begins to accelerate. Even for people who were resuscitated after death, they were done so immediately because there's still some brain activity left for a few minutes. Most never recover after a lengthy period of time without becoming a vegetable. In the teleportation, there's no brain, no body, no cells, not even matter; it's all converted to transmittable energy and reconstituted on the other end. However, no one seems to care. If they did, half of every episode would be an existential crisis until the characters would acclimatize to the dread and feel numb to it all. Everyone acts as they acted before stepping into the teleporter, and we always view these characters as the same people we know and love even though they're just copies of copies of copies of copies of...
While Jim may be dead, as long as the transfer is functional enough, we will never know the difference and may not even care if the illusion that Jim Prime and Current Jim are one and the same is appealing to us.

If the concept of reforming is a lot more fantastical with the transferring of souls and such, I still don't think Jim is out of the woods yet. If souls were to exist, who's to say that our consciousness is tied to them. If they just leave us to die, they wouldn't act as a transfer, but as a backup instead. Even in a world where souls exist, it's still possible to dilute into nothing upon death. And then there's soul vore. If your soul is consumed, digested, absorbed, and maybe even shat out, yet you still reform, what happened to your soul? I know this scenario doesn't usually happen in vore, but it's an interesting, morbid, downright terrifying thought to ponder. Have you literally lost your soul? What happens if you lose your soul, what is within it that makes life different? Is such a thing even possible by the rules set up in this fantasy? If you gain a soul upon reforming, where did that soul come from? Do souls multiply like cells when they need to? Is Jim's predator now a fusion of itself and Jim? Did Jim gain something from his predator? Did they body-swap?

I think I'm just going to cut it of here before I start running into the streets demanding answers from the sky.
RedBoggle
Somewhat familiar

Postby jaykayeight » Tue May 24, 2016 3:54 pm

1ring42, just one additional thought. the replies kind of show that vore is indeed a life-minding fetish. i read alot of comments stating many are not really into classical pro-creation. so i guess its more about the now, the life you have right now. Jim should make sure, for heavens sake, to stay alive.
jaykayeight
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby 1ring42 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:54 pm

jaykayeight wrote:1ring42, just one additional thought. the replies kind of show that vore is indeed a life-minding fetish. i read alot of comments stating many are not really into classical pro-creation. so i guess its more about the now, the life you have right now. Jim should make sure, for heavens sake, to stay alive.

Well the point of this thread was to incite an interesting philosophical discussion and hopefully heighten the intellectual content of the forum a little, and it seems like I succeeded.
1ring42
---

Postby Thagrahn » Tue May 24, 2016 11:39 pm

Well, my question still stands as the ultimate conundrum. What is is that made Jim, be Jim in the first place?

Knowing the answer to that, and you know what each of us really is. Without that answer, everything is unanswerable.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby jaykayeight » Wed May 25, 2016 1:09 am

well, well hail the egomaniacs! :)
jaykayeight
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Thagrahn » Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 am

jaykayeight wrote:well, well hail the egomaniacs! :)

It's not ego, it's just the fact the what made Jim be Jim, is key to knowing what makes you be you, me be me, and each of us be ourselves.
The problem is, no one has found the answer to that yet, and leaves it in a state of unanswerable.

Think about it, you know you are you, yet do you know what makes it so you are you?
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby jaykayeight » Wed May 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Thagrahn wrote:
jaykayeight wrote:well, well hail the egomaniacs! :)

It's not ego, it's just the fact the what made Jim be Jim, is key to knowing what makes you be you, me be me, and each of us be ourselves.
The problem is, no one has found the answer to that yet, and leaves it in a state of unanswerable.

Think about it, you know you are you, yet do you know what makes it so you are you?

yes,yes :) i meant that this is whats all about vore in essence. thinking that the different types of vore handle exactly that issue.
being absorbed by the pred, what happens? is she/he still alive and struggleing? is the preys mind and memory also absorbed? the fear about that questions makes vore for me tinglelish. its the thing that i dont know what will happen. i am afraid and tingled at the same time.
jaykayeight
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby fixated1 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:13 pm

I think what makes Jim be Jim and us, us is more than physical arrangement of molecules. If I were broken down into my components and put back together perfectly, to the point where the brain functions as it did before and retains all synaptic arrangements would I wake up from being broken down? I don't think I would. If I went through some weird quantum experiment and existed in two places at the same time would I be perceiving reality through two sets of me and one consciousness? Again, I don't think so (but at the same time that is such an alien concept it would be hard to even comprehend as a thought experiment).

The mind is not the same thing as the brain. The brain could theoretically be copied. I don't think consciousness can. I have a friend who believes that the you that started reading this sentence is already dead. He believes consciousness only survives moment to moment in the constant swirling chaos of ever changing brain chemistry. As a perfect copy with all those memories and hard wired personality traits you could never know if that is true or not.
fixated1
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby smiley » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:03 am

If people have a soul in this setting and upon death Jim's souls is transplanted into a new (hopefully soulless) body then I would say yes. Even if his new body looks nothing like the original, its still Jim.

If this is not the case and they instead uploaded a recording of Jim's memory's into a new body then I would say no. Its a copy of Jim with the original beign dead.
smiley
Participator

Postby Saftkeur » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:44 am

In my own personal fantasy settings, I like to imagine that Jim would be Jim after reformation. The body might be broken down and its individual molecules scattered, but as others have mentioned, this happens on a regular basis as our bodies continue to regenerate their cells; the consciousness or soul of the person would (at least in my setting) never cease to exist, and remain the same as it was before when it is reunited with a body.

I think this fits for many other fantasy settings as well, such as RPGs where a character might die and be reborn with an item, or where it's possible to enter the afterlife and forcefully bring someone back to the realm of the living. In these cases, one could say that the consciousness/soul remains intact even beyond the body's death, passing on to the Afterlife or some other plane of existence, there to be wrenched back to its body or otherwise brought back to life.

All that said? It's such a fascinating concept to look at in more scientific terms, especially since we simply don't know how our own consciousness works, much less if there is an afterlife or anything of the sort. I suspect at least a few of you have watched either Vsauce3 or CGP Gray before, judging by some of the topics you've illustrated, but if you haven't, they both have really great videos exploring the subject of the "Transporter Paradox", Ship of Theseus, and other such arguments. CGP Gray: "The Trouble with Transporters" https://youtu.be/nQHBAdShgYI and Vsauce3: "4 Logical Paradoxes!!" https://youtu.be/ME1XNMjXjZU

Ultimately, I have no idea, and it's a humbling (and scary) thing to think about! Can we ever know for sure how our own consciousness works, how life works, or if reality is even real?
Fantasy/Fetish artist, specializing in 3D vore, macro/micro, and tongue fetishes.
Gallery - Patreon
Saftkeur
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby DragonPrey3200 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 am

Komodo wrote:A good and classic question!
To me, and I can imagine a lot of people, the "you" doesn't lie in your body,
but what we consider "soul"; the memories and experiences that creates you
and your individual thoughts / looks on life.
The body gets almost 100% replaced over the course of 20 years anyway, so
why not after being re-created from one's original compounds that's gone
through a digestive process? Large parts will be missing, but we loose and
rebuild parts all the time anyway.
But to answer... no, I don't think old Jimmy-boy would be the same person.
IF we play on that being a person is your Soul, aka unique Memories, Mentality
and Experience, then you are NEVER the same person. You might be for some
time, depending on how you live, but everything you go through or learn will
affect you and alter you slightly. Jim could get digested a thousand times or
never at all during the course of 1 Year, but no matter which road, he'd still
not be the same person as he was a year prior.
For good or for bad? Now THAT is a question for another time...

It's like that Vsauce video where Michael questioned if the Michael in a video prior to a trip he took to the Great Wall of China is really even him, since "that guy has never been to the Great Wall of China.", while the current Michael had been. Of course, Vsauce has a tendency to completely rape your mind by the end of each video.
When in doubt, conquer Poland.
DragonPrey3200
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby zarpaulus » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Sorry to revive, but what about sentient fat situations?

The prey's body has been broken down and absorbed into their pred's body, but they still remain conscious. Are they still themselves and do they lose bits of themselves as the pred burns fat? Do they eventually cease to exist as an individual?
zarpaulus
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby IvesBentonEaton » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:05 pm

The only answer to that is: how do you want it to work? Whatever way you want it, play it that way. Vore is 99% fantasy with 1% reality mixed in just to let you know it's morning.
Come and hear the Tales of a Visceral Voyager
If you don’t, Zōēā’s poor snake will go hungry.
You wouldn’t want that, would you? :(
IvesBentonEaton
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby LightDragon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:44 am

I would say the case of Thesus' ship is only interesting because it is an object without soul. If the ship had a soul/spirit/whatever you call it, the answer would be easy : the real ship is the one which contains the ship's soul.

In case of reformation or even sentient fat, I think the same is true. I the soul of the prey is directly tranferred to its new body, then the new body is the real prey. If the soul is actually destroyed and the new body only contains a copy of it, then... well, I'm not even sure you could call it reformation, at least I wouldn't.
LightDragon
Participator

Previous

Return to General Vore Discussion