Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vore

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vore

Postby Queerbert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 am

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Vorarephilia

Aside from not mentioning full tour and things like that, this is astonishingly accurate.

*insert war drama voice here*

In other words, we've been discovered. This can only mean one of us gave it away. Turn yourself in presently, or we'll confiscate all food and water until you do.

(Or that a psychologist visits this site frequently... Which I somehow doubt.)
psh nuthin personnel... kid' evil hedghog sayed wile he peed in his moutg.
Queerbert
???

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby 4ofSwords » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 am

Vorarephilia (often misspelled voreaphilia or voraphilia because of their similar pronunciation)

When people say things like this, it always makes me laugh. Or snicker. Or at least gaze blankly at my screen with a passing wry thought.

There's nothing 'official' about vorarephilia versus voraphilia; even getting past combining the latin and greek roots (phagophilia would be much better, but people seem to shirk from saying that out loud), there's no way it would be built out of the verb infinitive. It would be a gerund, like vorandophilia. Eating-love, not to-eat-love. But that's as clumsy as vorarephilia, so if people like to say voraphilia, they should proceed.
Last edited by 4ofSwords on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
4ofSwords
???

Postby TaciturnTiger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 am

It's a bit brief, but it works. Much better than the article currently on Wikipedia in terms of depth, but still a little hands-off in comparison to WikiFur's article. Then again, I think the latter was also copypasta'd from Wikipedia's original vorarephilia article, to a fair extent, though the furries there did throw in their own two cents.
TaciturnTiger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Queerbert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 am

TaciturnTiger wrote:It's a bit brief, but it works. Much better than the article currently on Wikipedia in terms of depth, but still a little hands-off in comparison to WikiFur's article. Then again, I think the latter was also copypasta'd from Wikipedia's original vorarephilia article, to a fair extent, though the furries there did throw in their own two cents.

Well from wf it's to be expected. A huge amount of furries like vore.
Queerbert
???

Postby Marked » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 am

-raises hand as a psychologist in the room-

I actually didn't know about that wikia, so thanks for pointing it out. On a related note, I once edited the wikipedia definition of vorarephilia, then had someone in class quote said definition as part of their project on paraphilias. I was tempted to call plagerism on him, but I didn't want any questions being directed my way.
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Queerbert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 am

Marked wrote:-raises hand as a psychologist in the room-

I actually didn't know about that wikia, so thanks for pointing it out. On a related note, I once edited the wikipedia definition of vorarephilia, then had someone in class quote said definition as part of their project on paraphilias. I was tempted to call plagerism on him, but I didn't want any questions being directed my way.

That must've been quite awesome for you.
Queerbert
???

Postby XDDX » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 am

For some reason, every single definition I have ever read about vore left me with a feeling that was a little bit like... no that's not it. I find them all wrong in tiny little ways =P Even the one on here had me shake my head when I read it for the first time :D
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby C-B-A » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 am

I find the Wikipedia definition very accurate, I never read the wikifur one but I don't like furry stuff in any way so I have no reason to go there.

either way vore is different for everyone so no one definition can be 100% spot on.
Regional mad scientist and belly inspector
C-B-A
Heavy user

Postby Luckless » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 pm

4ofSwords wrote:
Vorarephilia (often misspelled voreaphilia or voraphilia because of their similar pronunciation)

When people say things like this, it always makes me laugh. Or snicker. Or at least gaze blankly at my screen with a passing wry thought.

There's nothing 'official' about vorarephilia versus voraphilia; even getting past combining the latin and greek roots (phagophilia would be much better, but people seem to shirk from saying that out loud), there's no way it would be built out of the verb infinitive. It would be a gerund, like vorandophilia. Eating-love, not to-eat-love. But that's as clumsy as vorarephilia, so if people like to say voraphilia, they should proceed.

What makes me snicker is that the true name for the fetish is phagophilia.

Some one without an academic background didn't want to be referred to as a phaggot and decided to take a latin word and swap in a greek suffix. A silly fix that will ultimately be boiled away once we return to proper terminology.

But deep down he knows what he is.

We're all phaggots.
Now, what my love is, proof hath made you know;
And as my love is sized, my fear is so:
Where love is great, the littlest doubts are fear;
Where little fears grow great, great love grows there.
Luckless
Somewhat familiar

Postby Marked » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 pm

As a gay may, I whole-heartedly approve of being a phaggot. :silly:
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ryan123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

This is actually a direct copy of the Wikipedia article from like 2007.

The Wikipedia article gets changed all the time (it's tiny now), the first time I actually read it, this was what was there, even the pictures are the same.
ryan123
Somewhat familiar

Postby Borealis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm

^ Yeah, I was about to say, I've seen all that text before...
Voyager of canine interiors...

In my story gallery, macro feral and anthro fun awaits you...
Borealis
---

Postby ZanexOrious » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:14 pm

*raises hand as another psychologist in the room*

>.> That being said, yeah it's been taken before BUT! I did discuss this sort of thing in my psychology of understanding sex course. I have to say after listening to some of the other students I felt a bit more "normal"...especially after the one who said he had a sexual fetish about leaves crunching. We had a very cool open class XD.
ZanexOrious
New to the forum

Postby Frednurk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:51 am

This feels far more like it was written by a member of the vore community than an actual psychologist. Reads like a beginner's guide to Eka's Portal.
Frednurk
Somewhat familiar

Postby Marked » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:36 am

ZanexOrious wrote:*raises hand as another psychologist in the room*

>.> That being said, yeah it's been taken before BUT! I did discuss this sort of thing in my psychology of understanding sex course. I have to say after listening to some of the other students I felt a bit more "normal"...especially after the one who said he had a sexual fetish about leaves crunching. We had a very cool open class XD.

Man, I wish I had the opportunity to take a course like that. That's awesome.

And yes, as others have said, I'm betting that the wikia article was written by one or more people who have this fetish. Serious psychology as far as I know hasing really touched vore; being a fantasy fetish, it rarely causes behavioral problems directly.
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby nephilim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 pm

4ofSwords wrote:

Vore captures the essence of this fetish so well. It sounds harsh and formidable, and is reminiscent of 'carnivore.' The Latin conjugation for 'to eat' is vorare as well.
600k views - Click the banner for the content mecca
Webcomic Coming Winter '24
Read The Story Behind the Comic
Vore-Kink. Size-Kink. Legend & Lore
nephilim
???

Postby 4ofSwords » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

nephilim wrote:Vore captures the essence of this fetish so well. It sounds harsh and formidable, and is reminiscent of 'carnivore.' The Latin conjugation for 'to eat' is vorare as well.

Yup! I have no problem with 'vore'. I like the term.

The infinitive is vorare. It's just silly when people correct voraphilia to vorarephila. The infinitive of a verb doesn't nominify it - the gerund does, even in Latin. And if people -are- going to get technical about it, mixing latin and greek roots preclude the conversation getting too far along the line of serious. :)
4ofSwords
???

Postby Marked » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

When I say the word out loud, I'm always going to go with voraphilia or voraphile. Vorarephilia sounds clunky to me when spoken out loud, whether or not it is etymologically correct. I've always sided whole-hreatedly with the descriptive side of linguistics, so to me, it is more important how the word is being used by the majority of people than nit-picking over how the word came into use or what its roots are. Vore as a term is so ingrained at this point that it would be extreemly difficult and rather pointless to change it. Besides, as my avatar shows, I have a vested interest in voraphilia over phagophilia :wink:
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby 4ofSwords » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Marked wrote:Besides, as my avatar shows, I have a vested interest in voraphilia over phagophilia :wink:

Holy cow - I never even realized you could read that both ways!
4ofSwords
???

Postby XDDX » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:53 pm

4ofSwords wrote:
nephilim wrote:Vore captures the essence of this fetish so well. It sounds harsh and formidable, and is reminiscent of 'carnivore.' The Latin conjugation for 'to eat' is vorare as well.

mixing latin and greek roots preclude the conversation getting too far along the line of serious. :)

=P
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion