Eka's portal etiquette

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: Eka's portal etiquette: Updated! Please read!

Postby SomeGuy1294 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:10 am

Cinquint wrote:There's a new rule? Huh. Maybe I was just using common sense and imagined it was there all along, because the list of rules doesn't look much different to me. < _ >

It's the one with FINALLY in front of it.
SomeGuy1294
???

Postby Cinquint » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 am

SomeGuy1294 wrote:
Cinquint wrote:There's a new rule? Huh. Maybe I was just using common sense and imagined it was there all along, because the list of rules doesn't look much different to me. < _ >

It's the one with FINALLY in front of it.

Funny. I had it wired into my morals already, so I guess I never noticed. o.o;
One of these days, that fish is gonna get what's comin' to 'im.
Cinquint
???

Postby CooraIthirid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm

the less trolls that get in here the better :)
this is one of the friendliest sites ive ever found
and i hope it always stays that way
CooraIthirid
Participator

Postby Indighost » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Coora Ithirid wrote:the less trolls that get in here the better :)
this is one of the friendliest sites ive ever found
and i hope it always stays that way

You said it. Eka's moderation is excellent for any site, from furries to games...for example a lot of the general micro/macro sites have terrible moderation...I'm really happy to support Eka and Leshana
Indighost
---

Postby Humbug » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

SomeGuy1294 wrote:Nope. This one was me. All me.

I'm the dumb-ass who screwed up, disturbed the tranquility of our community and inspired Eka to add the new rule.

You can all throw things at me now.
I wasn't there for whatever you did, but you're not the only one for certain. This is actually a pretty big issue on the 'Portal, and I've seen/been the target of those who apparently need the rule spelled out for them. So yeah. Not just you, whatever you did.
Humbug
---

Postby Eka » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:50 pm

If at any point you (Any of you) were targeted, you need to report it.

These rule will only work if people speak up.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Humbug » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Eka wrote:If at any point you (Any of you) were targeted, you need to report it.

True enough. I handled it when it came my way, but now that it's an official rule, I'll start reporting it.
Humbug
---

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Eka wrote:What fantasy you enjoy do not, I repeat, do not make you a better person. Or a worst person, for that matter. This is a core principle this site have always held, and you, as a member, must uphold this without reserve.
This is not just a suggestion. This is mandatory.

Thank you.

There's a lot of this sentiment around that X is weird, or Y is just not right, Z is disgusting!

Enough.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby Avereth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:48 pm

ryanshowseason3 wrote:
Thank you.

There's a lot of this sentiment around that X is weird, or Y is just not right, Z is disgusting!

Enough.

A lot of people don't seem to have a sense of inhibition when it comes to saying they dislike X without bringing their opinion of why they dislike X into it in a rude manner or feel they need to explain why X is gross and unworthy of being on the site.

Saying you don't like something is all fine and dandy, but turning it into a discussion about why X is bad will never go anywhere good, and it will insult and alienate those who happen to enjoy X. People need to express themselves more carefully.
Avereth
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: The Savannah, resting as a meerkat squirms inside me

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Angel » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:03 am

Deathworks wrote:And while I am at it, as far as I know, unless you make a contract that states otherwise, the copyright of a commissioned work lies solely by the person commissioning it. In other words, the artist does not have the copyright for the work.

Sorry to correct you Deathworks, but this is wrong. Unless agreed otherwise, the copyright of a work always lies with the artist by default. Even if the artist agrees to transfer the copyright to the commissioner, the artist retains the right to display the work as part of their personal portfolio.

The only exception to this is when the artist is an employee and makes the art as part of his normal daily work. Then the copyright lies with the employer (but the artist still retains the right to show the work as part of their portfolio). Working on a commission base does not make the artist an employee except in certain circumstances (when the work is part of a larger whole, for example).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _copyright
Angel
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Gorshum » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:45 am

I'm glad to see this getting a thread dedicated to it, we could all use less crap in our lives and more positive stuff. This is hopefully a great step in the right direction. As others have said it does need to be a two-way street. People shouldn't be making demands of contributors or expecting only their own desires to be catered to. On the flip side contributors shouldn't be acting arrogant and demeaning to anyone who doesn't contribute. We're all part of the same group here, let's try to get along.

Although it's long past now I can sympathize with the goal of this. I've been around for a long time but I almost never post on the forums and I don't upload any of my vore content here. It's not that I don't create/upload vore content but that I don't want it here specifically. I've never gone into the why of this before and I'm not going to really get in-depth about it now. The short/vague summary is that my first attempt to really interact with the community here a long time ago was met with needless derision and harshness from someone I was in no position to speak back to. After that I simply had no inclination whatsoever to get involved anymore. So I took my work to other places instead where I felt safe and most importantly where I was given due respect not due to being a contributor but because I'm a person.

That being said I do hope that this makes this place a happier place for everyone. Everyone wants a place where they can feel safe to share their interests with other people and honestly with interests like ours there aren't many places to do that. Ultimately though if people are pushed far enough they will leave. I really do hope this turns out well for everyone. It's not going to motivate me to change my stance at this point but I still hope for the best for everyone else. When we all are able to flourish it creates richer content and community for all of us. That's just my 2 cents.
Gorshum
Been posting for a bit

Postby Jaku » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:46 am

I can't count how many artists and writers have disappeared over the years because of people spamming them with requests or harassing them…

I hope this helps discourage such rude behavior and encourages others to continue creating amazing art. <3
Jaku
Been posting for a bit

Postby Angel » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 am

Disrespect to artists is, unfortunately, not a problem just on this site only. Take a look at the horror stories at http://clientsfromhell.net/ for many examples.

I am ashamed to say that once I may have been one of them. I've said and done a couple of things to certain artists that, in retrospect, I'm not proud of. But after learning about the issues from some artist friends of mine I'm striving to be a better person. And it's all a long time ago now anyway (most of it was way before the existence of Eka's).

Speaking from my own POV back then, I think the real issue is that most people don't realize just how difficult and time-consuming creating good art is. It's often like "Hey, you do this for fun, right?", or "What are you complaining about, it's just a few doodles." Add to that the anonymity of the 'net which makes certain people say and do things they wouldn't dare to say face to face, and of course frequent and wide-spread misconceptions about copyright rules, and I think you have the root of the problem.

The only thing we can do is to let our artists know we appreciate them, and let the jerks know that their behavior is inexcusable and will not be tolerated.
Angel
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby rugli » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 am

Jaku wrote:I can't count how many artists and writers have disappeared over the years because of people spamming them with requests or harassing them…

I hope this helps discourage such rude behavior and encourages others to continue creating amazing art. <3

Its nothing wrong with getting free ideas, over at DA I have had folks ask me if I do requests, I don't offically do, but I don't automaticly turn them away, I always allow them to tell me the idea first before I turn them down, if its something I don't like doing. I tell them that its not something I like to write about, they usually understand and I usually suggest they try find someone else. So I have never had the experiance of someone spamming me with requests. If I like the idea i get then I try to eather work it into something i'm already working on if thats ok with the other person if work it into my plan, if it doesn't fit my plain I usually write it as one-off then.
rugli
Participator

Postby Mid_Night » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:15 pm

I must say I seen something like that some been annoying the artists and writers here trust me this kind of things become so annoying so many trolls who need to put on leach.
what those people who don't like other works, they never know that the artist and writer in general use their works as an outlet for themselves and here I say if someone thinks he or she can do better than an artist or a writer be a dear and show what she and he can do.

I grow tired over those people who think they knows better I even have one who comment about not liking my stories and I say if you don't like them then don't read them that all I can say.

I did see arts and stories here I don't like however I never go after the artist and writer because I don't like what they do I just simply leave their galleries and never come back that's all I can say and do.
Mid_Night
???

Postby Queerbert » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 am

SomeGuy1294 wrote:Nope. This one was me. All me.

I'm the dumb-ass who screwed up, disturbed the tranquility of our community and inspired Eka to add the new rule.

You can all throw things at me now.
Le wat le fuck?

Eka wrote:If at any point you (Any of you) were targeted, you need to report it.

With pleasure!
psh nuthin personnel... kid' evil hedghog sayed wile he peed in his moutg.
Queerbert
???

Postby newenglandee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Angel wrote:Disrespect to artists is, unfortunately, not a problem just on this site only. Take a look at the horror stories at http://clientsfromhell.net/ for many examples.

I am ashamed to say that once I may have been one of them. I've said and done a couple of things to certain artists that, in retrospect, I'm not proud of. But after learning about the issues from some artist friends of mine I'm striving to be a better person. And it's all a long time ago now anyway (most of it was way before the existence of Eka's).

Speaking from my own POV back then, I think the real issue is that most people don't realize just how difficult and time-consuming creating good art is. It's often like "Hey, you do this for fun, right?", or "What are you complaining about, it's just a few doodles." Add to that the anonymity of the 'net which makes certain people say and do things they wouldn't dare to say face to face, and of course frequent and wide-spread misconceptions about copyright rules, and I think you have the root of the problem.

The only thing we can do is to let our artists know we appreciate them, and let the jerks know that their behavior is inexcusable and will not be tolerated.

Please tell me that you're not trying to make the argument that because good art is time-consuming and hard to make, people should settle for less and give dad artwork and stories a free pass? And that we should have just as much respect for people who make bad art that has little thought or effort put into it as we do for people who put all their heart and soul into a piece?
newenglandee
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Chameleonette » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:23 pm

newenglandee wrote:Please tell me that you're not trying to make the argument that because good art is time-consuming and hard to make, people should settle for less and give dad artwork and stories a free pass? And that we should have just as much respect for people who make bad art that has little thought or effort put into it as we do for people who put all their heart and soul into a piece?

...You can't be serious.

Don't you even realize that whether a piece of art is "bad" or has effort put into it or not is NOT for you to decide or due to your opinion and what YOU think? Some people struggle with art and writing more than others and have a more difficult time getting things down, but that does NOT mean they aren't worthy of respect for what they do. They may have very well put plenty of heart or soul into that piece for all you know.

Honestly, your arrogance astounds me. Everyone is worthy of respect for creating things to share, whether it's a doodle/drabble or something that took them 10 hours to make or write. If you don't like what someone has to share, you can easily overlook it instead of claiming that such people aren't worthy of respect for what they do or cutting them down.

This is basic human decency.
Passionate advocate of M/F vore.

My RP Seeking Thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35501
Chameleonette
---

Postby Cinquint » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Chameleonette wrote:
newenglandee wrote:Please tell me that you're not trying to make the argument that because good art is time-consuming and hard to make, people should settle for less and give dad artwork and stories a free pass? And that we should have just as much respect for people who make bad art that has little thought or effort put into it as we do for people who put all their heart and soul into a piece?

...You can't be serious.

Don't you even realize that whether a piece of art is "bad" or has effort put into it or not is NOT for you to decide or due to your opinion and what YOU think? Some people struggle with art and writing more than others and have a more difficult time getting things down, but that does NOT mean they aren't worthy of respect for what they do. They may have very well put plenty of heart or soul into that piece for all you know.

Honestly, your arrogance astounds me. Everyone is worthy of respect for creating things to share, whether it's a doodle/drabble or something that took them 10 hours to make or write. If you don't like what someone has to share, you can easily overlook it instead of claiming that such people aren't worthy of respect for what they do or cutting them down.

Amen to that.
One of these days, that fish is gonna get what's comin' to 'im.
Cinquint
???

Postby newenglandee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Chameleonette wrote:

...You can't be serious.

Yes it IS, that is how artistic critique has worked for CENTURIES. Why in the holy living heck do you think there are youtube commentators and reviewers and people like Siskel and Ebert and the like? Because you CAN often tell when a person has or has not put effort into it. There ARE signs, you DO realize this, right? Let's take, for example, somebody like Lupe Fiasco. He does thoughtful rap. Intriguing, deep topics. Puts his heart into it. Wacka Flocka Flame does NOT, and raps about lousy topics like shooting people, doing coke, and f--king. One is CLEARLY better than the other, and you can find similar comparisons between people who DO write and draw well and people that DON'T and not only that, who don't even really TRY and just don't CARE, and it's the people that don't even TRY and don't even really CARE about the stuff they put up that make me say "No, you DON'T deserve my respect, you have to EARN it, that is how respect WORKS"!

We are not creating in a vacuum. The internet is not a consequence-free zone. You NEED. To HAVE. And MAINTAIN. STANDARDS.
newenglandee
Intermediate Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to General Vore Discussion