Is more or less detail better?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Is more or less detail better?

Postby 157and493 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:51 am

This is a question for artists…

I was recently trying to commission somebody and they asked if I could send them a ruff draft of what I wanted the commission to look like, I did so and added in a lot of bullet points and even arrows pointing to specific parts of the draft describing aspects I would like to see in the finished product.
I am afraid I might have overloaded the artist with too much information though since I never heard back from them after sending them this draft (although there could of course be a different reason they have not responded). I always hear artists say things like: “The more detail you give us the better” when talking about commissions, but is it possible in this case that adding in a large amount of detail and specifics might have been the wrong thing to do?
157and493
Participator

Re: Is more or less detail better?

Postby ElyBlanche » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 am

For an artist, more is definitely better. In my experience as a writer (slightly different medium but same idea), I have come to prefer more detail over less, as I have had situations where my commissioner has asked for changes because they weren't detailed enough early on to tell me how they wanted a specific part done. It can be quite annoying.

For you, more detail will get the product looking more like how you want it to look. For the artist, it gives them more information to work off of, which is always better in my opinion.
ElyBlanche
Been posting for a bit

Postby Mecho » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:31 am

The more the better. However, the description needs to have to do with the commission.

Let us say that a commissioner sends reference pics of the character, the position they want them in. How advanced the piece should be and so on. It's great going into details :D

But then the commissioner is writing like a whole page about the characters childhood, their family, why the character have dragon parts and why they like the character so much (And any other stuff that has nothing to do with the piece or the outcome of the piece itself) it can be rather painful. Stuff like that CAN be nice to talk about but then it needs to be something we both share as an interest.
Mecho
---

Postby fixated1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:46 am

Some artists do better with more instruction, some do better with more freedom. But what you want is what you want. If you need a list checked to be satisfied with a piece then I don't see how you don't send it to the artist. Nothing is worse as an artist to give someone a piece and have them give a dissatisfied "thanks" before disappearing.

Certainly you could overdo it and stifle the artist, turning the piece into an assembly line slog. Try to leave room for them to be creative and surprise you. That's how you get the most satisfaction imo. I've told people I know the preferences of well that they should just let me decide what to do with them, and they loved what they got.
fixated1
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby The Saint of Ravens » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 pm

Think of it less in terms of more or less, and instead of telling the artist everything that you want in the commission. Be specific, be clear. If it's a simple pic and you can do that in a few sentences, that's great. If it's more complex, then put in as much detail as needed.

But, above all else, make sure that everything you want and expect from the picture is in the description. Artists are not mind readers, so if there are details left out of the description that don't make it into the end result, it's going to lead to frustration on both sides.
No worries, I don't bite~
The Saint of Ravens
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Cuddlekins » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am

Once I provided an artist with so many references and bullet points about a character I wanted drawn they actually gave me a small discount*. So, yeah, more info is better. If you didn't hear back, it's probably for a different reason.

*Please don't expect discounts for going above expectations in terms of providing refs/info. It was a one in a million thing and I don't expect it to happen again :x
***Cuddlekins Vore Stories (May contain LOLI)
***FF14 GPose Vore Comics
(Mostly macro/micro F/f, some ?/F, some monster girl same-size.)
Cuddlekins
Participator

Postby TootLunch » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:31 am

Without knowing how many bullet points you sent, I would say more is usually better but there can be too much of anything. If I was doing a commission and someone sent me a 100 point draft about how each toe should be angled and a specific number of hair strands on someone’s head I wouldn’t really be able to accommodate that (without significantly increasing the price) but I would let the person know instead of ghosting.
TootLunch
Been posting for a bit

Postby Stinkychan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 pm

I love details but i also think there should be a picture reference of something similar if there's a pose you want.... bullet points are awesome but the more vague wording you give the more work you both need to do i think... most of the time though bullet points are perfectly fine though...it just depends on how complex it is....
pssst the pfp isnt a real nft
Stinkychan
New to the forum

Postby Lonnie » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:37 pm

As an artist who may take commissions or requests in the future, I think the more detail, the better! But like some people have said I'd rather not be given a college English essay about how you want the light to hit each individual fingernail...some bullet points and refs wherever necessary are good.
Average M/f enjoyer
Lonnie
Somewhat familiar

Return to General Vore Discussion