Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Karbo's fans goes here!

Moderator: Karbo

Re: Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Postby EnderDracolich » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:25 pm

C107galaxytachyon wrote:Uh....... excuse me? Did you not see my prior post, or was my additional discourse there completely unwarranted? I’d really appreciate just “some” level of acknowledgement here, derisive or not.

I'm sorry for not acknowledging your post.

I'm not trying to be uncivil.

I simply... don't have much to say, to be honest.

Um...

I'm not terribly familiar with Jakethecardsculptor or with his/her stories. I know very little about Ayralef.

There are lots and lots of Felarya stories out there, and I don't claim to have read all of them. I'm not entirely sure that would even be possible. There are SO many.

I tend to prefer stories that are solely set in the world of Felarya proper, so stuff like World War Ayralef (which is only tangentially related to the core setting and it's core premise, and which involves a world other than Felarya) don't really appeal to me.

I'm not sure why you mentioned it.

Does Jakethecardsculptor kill a key protagonist in his stories? If so, I suppose that's another example, but I hardly think it demonstrates a tend or norm within the community.

Of course FrenchSnack is not literally the only person to ever do so. There are hundreds of authors in the Felarya community.

I can only speak from my own experience, and can only talk about the stuff I've actually personally read.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby MrMetroid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Response is gonna be a bit... long ^^;
EnderDracolich wrote:Well, as a reader. I gotta give my 2 cents. (I'm also a writer, and I am a member of the Felarya community - but I'm taking a stand in defense of a reader's right to enjoy a story without an unpleasant twist)

Sorry, but I can't agree with that sentence even just on premise - 'cause what makes an "unpleasant twist" in the first place is wholly subjective; ya can't really "take a stand" for something that dependent on context from both the kind of story/setting used and the individual person-to-person basis of the reader themselves. ^^;

EnderDracolich wrote:I just went and read that story for the first time (wasn't in the Felarya community when it was written), and it was VERY out of tone with Felarya. If I had been a fan of Calina and had read that, as a canon story, when it came out... I would have left the Felaya community AND the Vore community entirely.

I kinda feel this view's an overreaction - for me, it's the total opposite. The vore scene wasn't any different from others; the pred's enjoyment of it wasn't any different; the slice-of-life scenes weren't any different - literally the only thing different was that it's a character we knew getting eaten - and not even a protagonist at that; just a popular side-character. I could get not liking them dying or being sad about it, but to say it was "VERY out of tone with Felarya" is an exaggeration, IMHO.

EnderDracolich wrote:Some people don't like their beloved protagonists being killed - regardless of it's merits as a form of storytelling - and those people shouldn't be derided. They should be allowed to have spaces and stories that they can enjoy without the fear of having to deal with that kind of stress... and Felarya should be such a space. With a handful of (generally disliked) exceptions, protags don't die in Felarya.

But that right there's the problem; by all accounts THEY were the ones deriding FS, not the ones being derided. And in all fairness, I think that line of thought's a tad... well, frankly put, it sounds entitled. Felarya's a bloody jungle - law of the jungle stuff happens; random crap happens; bad luck happens. To say it shouldn't purely on the basis of "it should be my perfect fantasy world" is IMHO kinda disrespectful to both the setting and the writers in it - and to expect every single story to go perfectly the way you want it is the same as not having an entertaining story in the first place, if it never takes any risks or turns. That predator-affiliated protags usually don't die in Felarya (and Calina argubaly wasn't one in the first place) doesn't equate to that being a law, nor should it IMHO.

EnderDracolich wrote:I can see why it would cause people to get upset, and why it would fracture the community.[/code]

I don't get why it'd fracture the community THIS way. I could get people being sad or disheartened, but people were straight-up calling FS a bad writer for it - some even personally insulting his capacity for writing. He didn't change the story 'cause it was disliked - he changed it 'cause the conflict around it got so toxic that he basically had an emotional breakdown in one of his journals. IMHO, this self-imposed "protags don't die in Felarya" rule isn't worth doing that to someone, especially not a guy who helped build the place.

EnderDracolich wrote:Felarya is not built around protagonist deaths, nor is it built around shock, horror, or tragedy. So... inserting that kinda content into a Felarya story is gonna have a pretty easily predictable result.

The irony with that, though, is it kinda feels like the total opposite; if anything, Felarya stories are built ENTIRELY around "protagonist deaths" and around "shock, horror or tragedy" - 'cause those are the perspectives of the characters the readers follow. 9 out of 10 times, the story's protagonist is someone who's gonna get eaten - especially in FS' stories, as the "Lost in Felarya" series proved - and we're taken step-by-step through their feelings of shock, horror and tragedy. Literally the only thing different in Wem's that it wasn't some random one-off.

EnderDracolich wrote:It's like... slipping ghost peppers into somebody's ice cream; if you like spicy food, that might be great, but if you're looking for a sweet treat and get it by surprise, it's gonna be terribly painful and upsetting.

The problem with that analogy is Felarya was never guaranteed to just be "a sweet treat" to begin with, much less mandated as such - and if you have the same thing over and over in the first place, you'll get board of it. It's both a false expectation and an unfair burden on the maker to blame them for it, much less hit them with the kind of insults I saw in those comments.

EnderDracolich wrote:To me, it seems unfair to point fingers at the readers, and say they're responsible for scaring writers into not writing.

Putting aside how mistaken I think that is, it's still unfair to demonize and harass the writer for it - like I said before, it wasn't that people didn't like the story that made him change it; it's that he and others were getting personally attacked, over something he'd done dozens of times with other characters. If you don't like stories where protags have untouchable plot-armor, that's fine - but don't insult people for it.

EnderDracolich wrote:The actual writing of that story was equally inadvisable. It doesn't fit the tone of Felarya at all.

And again, I just can't agree with that - literally the only thing different was that it's a character we actually knew getting eaten, and that alone ain't enough to justify claiming the tone was different. Hell, I'd go so far as to say the TOTAL OPPOSITE - that what set people off was Calina dying in a way no tonally different than a random, rather than the tone of how it happened having "changed" in any way.

EnderDracolich wrote:So... yeah. If that story and the aftermath had a dampening effect on writing in the community, all parties involved are equally culpable.

Again, that's the problem though; the tone DIDN'T deviate from the setting - at all. Out of the few who stayed civil, they expressed more discontent that Calina died as if she was a nobody rather than the fact she died at all - to say he'd "subvert something that already exists" feels like misjudging it and Felarya's tone since,

EnderDracolich wrote:Frankly, if you intend to write a story, in an established setting, that deviates strongly from the tone of the setting... just don't. Go write your own setting, and make it clear to potential readers that shocking content might happen. Don't subvert something that already exists, and which other people enjoy.

But it's not that the situation was any different, IMHO; if anything, it's that it wasn't any different a vore-death than what the "prey-of-the-day" characters got that seemed to upset people. It was not a case of "subvert something that already exists" - it's that what existed was used on a recurring character rather than a rando and people seemed to be disappointed or underwhelmed in general, which wasn't enough to justify the utter hatred some people were dishing out over it.

EnderDracolich wrote:Your characters are one's own to do with as one wishes... your reader's emotional well-being, however, does not belong to you. You should NEVER intentionally write a work of fiction with the intent to upset and distress your readers by subverting their expectations.

Repeating myself here but, honestly, this sounds a very entitled mindset. IMHO, the writer ISN'T responsible for the reader's "emotional well-being" - hell, you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot here because, if "your reader's emotional well-being, however, does not belong to you", then neither should all the blame for their negative reaction belong to you either You can't always predict that kinda shit, dude, much less be accountable for it - if every writer everywhere was directly responsible for every single reader's emotional state after the fact, fiction in general would not exist because there would always be SOMEONE out there who might have been impacted by it negatively. It's the reader's own prerogative what they think and their own feelings that dictate what they feel from it, not the writer's - and whatever they feel, they should never act like it's the writers fault for it. Especially since FS admitted in comments & journals that they didn't even intend distress in the first place - what happened to Calina was basically a result of an over-trusting Milly befriending someone she probably shouldn't with bad consequences.

EnderDracolich wrote:Some people can't handle that kinda stuff very well. Myself included.

Again, kinda shooting yourself in the foot here - you're admitting this is more the reader not being able to handle it well, rather than the writer being responsible. The writer tells the story - they may have things they do or do not want to convey, but they aren't solely responsible for everything and anything any reader feels because every person is different. It's one thing to dislike what a story did or didn't do, but it's another thing to take it as a personal insult the way some people seemed to, and I really can't understand trying to justify that mindset the way you've tried here. ^^;

EnderDracolich wrote:I write sad shit. Writing sad shit is fine. But it should be labelled, not wrapped in happy, colorful, lighthearted packaging.

And I think that line of thought's misguided when it comes to Felarya - because IMHO, it never had just a "happy, colorful, lighthearted packaging" in the first place; most stories I've seen in it take place from the PREY, not the pred, and as a result the tales are rarely ever "happy, colorful" or "lighthearted" for anyone outside the preds. 9 outta 10 times, "sad shit" describes what happened to anyone not a giant.

EnderDracolich wrote:EDIT:

To be clear, I'm not pointing fingers at French Snack.

It's quite clear that hurting people's feeling wasn't his intention with that story.

Perhaps he should have known better, but it was an honest mistake.

But an honest, harmful mistake is still harmful, and it's not fair to point fingers at the readers and say "they acted badly" when the content itself was legitimately shocking and out of tone with the setting.

All parties, perhaps even the community as a whole, are equally culpable.

Not - just - the readers and their reaction.

This block is something I agree with in premise, but not for the reasons you state. Whether we personally think of what FS wrote or what we perceive Felarya should be, fact of the matter's that it's not a view-disagreement that caused the fracture - it was the behavior, the people stooping to flat-out insults and harassment that were the issue. On that front, you CAN kinda point fingers at the readers even just with a cursory glance at the comment sections - if they'd simply disagreed with it, I doubt there'd have been an issue... but the problem's that they didn't. And by that same logic, it likewise doesn't feel fair to me for you to point fingers at FS yourself and say he should be held accountable for it all - it just comes across like trying to move the goalpost on who to blame.
Last edited by MrMetroid on Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby C107galaxytachyon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:03 pm

MrMetroid wrote:Response is gonna be a bit... long ^^;
EnderDracolich wrote:Well, as a reader. I gotta give my 2 cents. (I'm also a writer, and I am a member of the Felarya community - but I'm taking a stand in defense of a reader's right to enjoy a story without an unpleasant twist)

I just went and read that story for the first time (wasn't in the Felarya community when it was written), and it was VERY out of tone with Felarya. If I had been a fan of Calina and had read that, as a canon story, when it came out... I would have left the Felaya community AND the Vore community entirely.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that sentence even just on premise - 'cause what makes an "unpleasant twist" in the first place is wholly subjective; ya can't really "take a stand" for something that dependent on context from both the kind of story/setting used and the individual person-to-person basis of the reader themselves. ^^;

I kinda feel this view's an overreaction - for me, it's the total opposite. The vore scene wasn't any different from others; the pred's enjoyment of it wasn't any different; the slice-of-life scenes weren't any different - literally the only thing different was that it's a character we knew getting eaten - and not even a protagonist at that; just a popular side-character. I could get not liking them dying or being sad about it, but to say it was "VERY out of tone with Felarya" is an exaggeration, IMHO.

EnderDracolich wrote:Some people don't like their beloved protagonists being killed - regardless of it's merits as a form of storytelling - and those people shouldn't be derided. They should be allowed to have spaces and stories that they can enjoy without the fear of having to deal with that kind of stress... and Felarya should be such a space. With a handful of (generally disliked) exceptions, protags don't die in Felarya.

I can see why it would cause people to get upset, and why it would fracture the community.[/code]

But that right there's the problem; by all accounts THEY were the ones deriding FS, not the ones being derided. And in all fairness, I think that line of thought's a tad... well, frankly put, it sounds entitled. Felarya's a bloody jungle - law of the jungle stuff happens; random crap happens; bad luck happens. To say it shouldn't purely on the basis of "it should be my perfect fantasy world" is IMHO kinda disrespectful to both the setting and the writers in it - and to expect every single story to go perfectly the way you want it is the same as not having an entertaining story in the first place, if it never takes any risks or turns. That protags usually don't die in Felarya (and Calina argubaly wasn't one in the first place) doesn't equate to that being a law, nor should it IMHO.

I don't why it'd fracture the community THIS way. I could get people just being sad or disheartened by it, but there were people straight-up calling FS a bad writer for it - some of them even personally insulting his capacity for writing. He didn't change the story because it was disliked - he changed it because the conflict around it got so vitriolic that he basically had an emotional breakdown in one of his journals. IMHO, this self-imposed "protags don't die in Felarya" rule isn't worth doing that to someone, especially not someone who helped build the place.

EnderDracolich wrote:Felarya is not built around protagonist deaths, nor is it built around shock, horror, or tragedy. So... inserting that kinda content into a Felarya story is gonna have a pretty easily predictable result.

It's like... slipping ghost peppers into somebody's ice cream; if you like spicy food, that might be great, but if you're looking for a sweet treat and get it by surprise, it's gonna be terribly painful and upsetting.

The irony with that, though... is that it actually kinda feels like the total opposite; if anything, Felarya stories are built ENTIRELY around "protagonist deaths" and around "shock, horror or tragedy" - cause those are the perspectives of the characters the readers follow. 9 out of 10 times, the protagonist of the story is someone who's gonna get eaten - especially in FS' stories, as the "Lost in Felarya" series proved - and we're taken step-by-step through their feelings of shock, horror and tragedy. Literally the only thing different is that it wasn't some random one-off. Felarya was never guaranteed to just be "a sweet treat" to begin with - and if you have the same thing over and over in the first place, you'll get board of it at some point. It's both a false expectation and an unfair burden on the maker to blame them for it, much less hit them with the kind of insults I saw in those comments.

EnderDracolich wrote:To me, it seems unfair to point fingers at the readers, and say they're responsible for scaring writers into not writing.

The actual writing of that story was equally inadvisable. It doesn't fit the tone of Felarya at all.

And on the flip-side of that, it seems unfair to demonize and harass the writer for it - like I said before, it wasn't that people didn't like the story that made him change it; it's that he and others were getting personally attacked over it, over something he'd done dozens of times with other characters. If you don't like stories where protags have untouchable plot-armor, that's fine - but don't insult people for it. Like I said before, I just can't agree with claiming the tone was different - literally the only thing different was that it's a character we actually knew getting eaten... and that alone wasn't enough to justify what happened. Hell, I'd actually go so far as to say it was the TOTAL OPPOSITE - that what set people off was Calina dying in a way no tonally different than others, rather than the tone having changed at all.

EnderDracolich wrote:So... yeah. If that story and the aftermath had a dampening effect on writing in the community, all parties involved are equally culpable.

Frankly, if you intend to write a story, in an established setting, that deviates strongly from the tone of the setting... just don't. Go write your own setting, and make it clear to potential readers that shocking content might happen. Don't subvert something that already exists, and which other people enjoy.

Your characters are one's own to do with as one wishes... your reader's emotional well-being, however, does not belong to you. You should NEVER intentionally write a work of fiction with the intent to upset and distress your readers by subverting their expectations.

Some people can't handle that kinda stuff very well. Myself included.

Again, that's the problem though; the tone DIDN'T deviate from the setting - at all. Out of the few who stayed civil, they expressed more discontent that Calina died as if she was a nobody rather than that she died at all - to say he'd "subvert something that already exists" feels like misjudging it since, IMHO, it's not in fact what he wrote but rather who was in it.

IMHO, the writer ISN'T responsible for the reader's "emotional well-being" - you can't always predict that kinda shit, dude, much less be accountable for it. If every writer everywhere was directly responsible for every single reader's emotional state after the fact, fiction in general would not exist because there would always be SOMEONE out there who might have been impacted by it negatively. It's the reader's own prerogative what they think and their own feelings that dictate what they feel from it, not the writer's - and whatever they feel, they should never act like it's the writers fault for it. Especially since FS admitted in comments & journals that they didn't even intend distress in the first place - what happened to Calina was basically a result of an over-trusting Milly persisting in befriending someone she probably shouldn't.

EnderDracolich wrote:I write sad shit. Writing sad shit is fine. But it should be labelled, not wrapped in happy, colorful, lighthearted packaging.

And I think that line of thought's misguided when it comes to Felarya - because IMHO, it never had just a "happy, colorful, lighthearted packaging" in the first place; most stories I've seen in it take place from the PREY, not the pred, and as a result the tales are rarely ever "happy, colorful" or "lighthearted" for anyone outside the preds.

EnderDracolich wrote:EDIT:

To be clear, I'm not pointing fingers at French Snack.

It's quite clear that hurting people's feeling wasn't his intention with that story.

Perhaps he should have known better, but it was an honest mistake.

But an honest, harmful mistake is still harmful, and it's not fair to point fingers at the readers and say "they acted badly" when the content itself was legitimately shocking and out of tone with the setting.

All parties, perhaps even the community as a whole, are equally culpable.

Not - just - the readers and their reaction.

This block is something I agree with in premise, but not for the reasons you state. Whether we personally think of what FS wrote or what we perceive Felarya should be, fact of the matter's that it's not a view-disagreement that caused the fracture - it was the behavior, the people stooping to flat-out insults and harassment that were the issue. On that front, you CAN kinda point fingers at the readers even just with a cursory glance at the comment sections - if they'd simply disagreed with it, I doubt there'd have been an issue... but the problem's that they didn't.

I’m going to guess World War Ayralef isn’t something you’re all that familiar with: given how you seemed to gloss right over my post on the matter.
C107galaxytachyon
Somewhat familiar

Postby MrMetroid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm

C107galaxytachyon wrote:I’m going to guess World War Ayralef isn’t something you’re all that familiar with: given how you seemed to gloss right over my post on the matter.

A - I'm not even the person you responded to last time ^^;
B - Ayralef, IMHO, is a separate continuity from Felarya; I was trying to stick to "main timeline" stuff to get my point across that what EnderDracolich's talking about isn't different from it's usual tone - only difference was that it happened to a character people knew instead of a "prey of the day" type protag.
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby C107galaxytachyon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:41 pm

MrMetroid wrote:
C107galaxytachyon wrote:I’m going to guess World War Ayralef isn’t something you’re all that familiar with: given how you seemed to gloss right over my post on the matter.

A - I'm not even the person you responded to last time ^^;
B - Ayralef, IMHO, is a separate continuity from Felarya; I was trying to stick to "main timeline" stuff to get my point across that what EnderDracolich's talking about isn't different from it's usual tone - only difference was that it happened to a character people knew instead of a "prey of the day" type protag.

Yeah: that’s probably a fair assessment. Still, I can’t help but feel you’re kinda missing the point by excluding Ayralef from this discourse just because its a “separate continuity.” Unless you think vore is more integral to this discussion than the mere act of “killing off” certain characters, then there’s literally no reason to NOT address this.

Besides, it’s not like literally ALL of Felarya’s cast has indulged in such things: you only need look a Lily’s bio for ample evidence of such.
http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lily
C107galaxytachyon
Somewhat familiar

Postby MrMetroid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:23 pm

C107galaxytachyon wrote:Yeah: that’s probably a fair assessment. Still, I can’t help but feel you’re kinda missing the point by excluding Ayralef from this discourse just because its a “separate continuity.” Unless you think vore is more integral to this discussion than the mere act of “killing off” certain characters, then there’s literally no reason to NOT address this.

Besides, it’s not like literally ALL of Felarya’s cast has indulged in such things: you only need look a Lily’s bio for ample evidence of such.
http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lily

It's not a matter of what's integral or not; it's that I think these continuities have two separate norms. One arguably focuses more on factional/conflict drama and political intrigue - kinda like Game of Thrones - while the other focuses more on a mix of slice-of-life, exploration and law of the jungle survival. Hence I don't count them as the same thing - they're unique and distinct enough from each-other to be their own things, I think.

I'm not saying characters similar to ones from each-other's settings can't be here; I'm just saying they're more the exception than the rule. And it's not even the rule that's being discussed - this was about how killing main characters and serious themes in Felarya stories wasn't as uncommon in Felarya as EnderDracolich seemed to think, much less as utterly alien as they argued it to be.
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zapor » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:06 am

Because Felarya in general Is NOT for good or interesting stories. And people tired see same worls, same charcters and completely same situations. What`s all
Funny fact:
I completely position myself as vore-artist, but practically ALL commisions which I did are devoted to foot-fetish!
WTF, dudes?! xD
Zapor
Somewhat familiar

Postby MrMetroid » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 am

Zapor wrote:Because Felarya in general Is NOT for good or interesting stories. And people tired see same worls, same charcters and completely same situations. What`s all

I don't think that's the case though - quite the opposite, actually; I think there's no end of potential for that world, those characters and the situations they can get into. If anything, I think i's more a matter of... well, quality control. I know it's gonna be unpopular for me to say but, for as long as it's been around, it feels like Karbo's been pretty hands-off about what does or doesn't get into the group - in fact I think there's a grand total of only four or so rules;

(A) it can't go against the original manga's events.
(B) It can't kill Karbo's characters or abuse/screw with their personalities.
(C) It can't upset or unbalance the status quo of Felarya being pred-dominated (i.e., no super-faction alliances suddenly industrializing everything)
(D) It has to have vore, preferably oral.

In my experience, it can be either the hight of canon-compliant or a total elsworld - a quality-written adventure or a poorly-edited romp; so long as it obeys those four rules, it'll likely get accepted. It's like what happened with Steam - there's no quality-control going on. Only difference is that in Karbo's case it's because he seemingly doesn't want to reject people who like his setting, so they'll get in even if events or storylines in some actively contradict other submissions so long as the "core" storyline of his own isn't upended.

Overall themes aren't the problem - that was Blazbros' and Shady-Knight's mistake, I think; they seemed to believe everything woulda turned out golden if Karbo just let them dictate the setting's appeal... but it wouldn't have. You can hit the reset button and change themes or tunes as much as you want and still not save the setting if the people you have at the top don't change their standards for what quality or consistency of product can or can't be allowed. Karbo and the moderators woulda needed to be lots more hands-on with the vetting process - what does or doesn't work best; what does or doesn't contradict other works - or otherwise it's just be the same dance to a different tune with Felarya collapsing in on itself from so many conflicting one-offs and conflicting tales. Because no matter what kind of setting you have, bad quality control is gonna lead to it stagnating and writers leaving for greener pastures.

I love Karbo's work. I love Karbo's characters. But at the end of the day... I just don't think he's very good at managing a setting like Felarya. From what I've seen, it's a hobby to him - one I'm sure he loves and enjoys, but a hobby all the same - and he's never given it the focus needed to manage a community that at it's peek was well past the hundreds in members and the thousands in viewers. That's not even saying he needed to make it his career - I know people who can manage a setting without having to work more than one day a week on it - it's just that he needed to be more serious or hands-on about what kind of works or people could get into his setting... and until he or his mods are able and willing to do that, I don't think Felarya's ever gonna recover.
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby Rissery » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 am

I'd love to write some Felarya stories, and I have some ideas, I just have really bad writer's block. :(
Rissery
New to the forum

Postby MrMetroid » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Rissery wrote:I'd love to write some Felarya stories, and I have some ideas, I just have really bad writer's block. :(

Well, that's kinduva case in point to what I'd been saying before - it's not hard to think up a good Felarya story; it's just hard to feel motivated for it what with how much decay's set into the narrative and setting, especially when so many works can get in on a quarter of the effort in some cases. or at least that's the case for me personally. :neutral:
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby GastricAztec » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Is there any way to buy the Felarya mangas and have them go to my kindle library?
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Postby boomerangfish » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Honestly, I only barely know Felarya and I've been in the community for like... more than ten years?

IDK, I've seen some stuff of it before, but I didn't know it had all of this stuff to it. To be fair, it might be because I don't really care for giantess stuff, whether it looks this good or not.

Also, while it's really cool that other author's stories reference others, it may be a barrier to newer people if that's how it normally goes. It probably isn't necessary, but I happened to think it and wanted to mention it, as it seemed like a valid point.
boomerangfish
Participator

Postby MrMetroid » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:45 pm

SamuelOrona wrote:Is there any way to buy the Felarya mangas and have them go to my kindle library?

Download them to a device and then see if you can upload them to the kindle's cloud space as a private doc? I mean, I don't have a kindle, so I can only really guess ^^;

boomerangfish wrote:IDK, I've seen some stuff of it before, but I didn't know it had all of this stuff to it. To be fair, it might be because I don't really care for giantess stuff, whether it looks this good or not.

Also, while it's really cool that other author's stories reference others, it may be a barrier to newer people if that's how it normally goes. It probably isn't necessary, but I happened to think it and wanted to mention it, as it seemed like a valid point.

Honestly, I think a bigger problem is that a lot of Felarya stories don't actually acknowledge each-other's "canon", for lack of a better word - only the older authors like FrenchSnack or the like had their canon acknowledged consistently; most authors seemed to do their own thing entirely. If anything, I think there's a huge lack of consistency that makes Felarya just plain confusing to get into - IMHO, the barrier might be easer to get by if there were more concrete requirements to adhere to instead of fumbling around stepping on each-others toes. ^^;
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby Alleria » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:57 pm

MrMetroid wrote:
SamuelOrona wrote:Is there any way to buy the Felarya mangas and have them go to my kindle library?

Download them to a device and then see if you can upload them to the kindle's cloud space as a private doc? I mean, I don't have a kindle, so I can only really guess ^^;

boomerangfish wrote:IDK, I've seen some stuff of it before, but I didn't know it had all of this stuff to it. To be fair, it might be because I don't really care for giantess stuff, whether it looks this good or not.

Honestly, I think a bigger problem is that a lot of Felarya stories don't actually acknowledge each-other's "canon", for lack of a better word - only the older authors like FrenchSnack or the like had their canon acknowledged consistently; most authors seemed to do their own thing entirely. If anything, I think there's a huge lack of consistency that makes Felarya just plain confusing to get into - IMHO, the barrier might be easer to get by if there were more concrete requirements to adhere to instead of fumbling around stepping on each-others toes. ^^;

Maybe it needs a reboot like Star Wars :D (Which I actually did not like) But with it being generally fan fiction of Deviantart and never something rooted in media (how could it ever be?) It is natural that these stories with contradict each other. By now I think each author has their own head canon.
Alleria
New to the forum

Postby GastricAztec » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:37 pm

Thank you MrMetroid.
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Postby MrMetroid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 pm

SamuelOrona wrote:Thank you MrMetroid.

No prob; I just hope it works :-D

Alleria wrote:Maybe it needs a reboot like Star Wars :D (Which I actually did not like) But with it being generally fan fiction of Deviantart and never something rooted in media (how could it ever be?) It is natural that these stories with contradict each other. By now I think each author has their own head canon.

The problem with that though is it wouldn't fix the quality-control issue - IMHO, what made Felarya so bloated, chaotic and disorganized was the lack of any barrier beyond a four-step requirement guideline ("don't void Karbo's canon, don't kill or mess up Karbo's characters, don't destroy the status quo and try to include vore"). Like I said last post, that's why I think Blazbaros and Shady-Knight were wrong to act like nuking the continuity would be a fix-all - you can hit the reset button as much as you want, but it's still gonna be a mess if you don't change the standards for what quality of work gets in.

Basically, I really think the canon-clashing is symptomatic of the lack of hard moderation, and I don't think a reboot would change anything unless they either get more serious about moderating or get someone else in who is.
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby ChristianBethel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:17 pm

If I may, many of these problems could be rectified if Karbo just created an origin story about Felarya and his characters. It was a mistake to create a wiki without first creating a story, because there is no original work to references, and the manga's canon differs from the wiki's canon (there's three canons- the wiki, the manga, and the Discord server). Perhaps he can collaborate with the other primary writers and construct a narrative that encompasses the entirety of the wiki's contents. Yes, that is a Herculean undertaking, but I think it is necessary to preserve the Felaryan community.
ChristianBethel
New to the forum

Postby BeGad » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Way to resurrect a dead threat, lol.

Still, since this popped up, might as well get nostalgic. Felarya used to have a very thriving community of writers and creators 10 years ago or so. Internet drama mostly dampened the mood.

Karbo is a nice guy and a great artist, but wasn't really ready to be operating a community or a worldbuilding project. Karbo had some really stellar writers and worldbuilders helping him out.

Unfortunately, there were some major issues that weren't being addressed and the community started to get more toxic. Some community members tried to get together to communicate with Karbo, writing this letter.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bq3 ... y=CNmbx8IH

It's a pretty reasonable summation of what was going wrong, even so long ago.

Now notice where it mentions favoritism? And some of the characters referenced?

A big division at the time was between people interested in worldbuilding Felarya, and those interested just in the fetish aspect. The thing is, there really should have been no conflict over this - its easy to have both. The problem is that two writers very much on the "fetish" side of things, FrenchSnack and timing2, were continuously seen as condescending and abrasive towards the "worldbuilding" community. These two were also clearly very favoured by Karbo, forming an unhealthy hierarchy. Frenchsnack in particular is among the most prolific vore writers out there, and the perception was that he felt that gave him a special role.

I have no idea how the situation is today, but at the time, there was a very clear perceived hierarchy in the community, where FrenchSnack and Timing2 had the ear of Karbo. They seemed to instantly understand that this letter was calling them out. They immediately went to Karbo and twisted the intention of the petition to be an attack on him. He went into a very paranoid mood and well... the rest is history. The worldbuilding community mostly just up and left and I dont think the forum or community ever really recovered.

Honestly it was probably for the best. I don't think Karbo ever really wanted the kind of huge community he got, he was just happy to see enthusiasm for his ideas. I think it got too much to handle and there were too many competing viewpoints.

Also, as an addendum, I don't want this to be viewed as an attack on FS or Timing. I may have characterized their actions harshly, but I also sort of understand why it came down to that. While I strongly disagree with how they handled and incited the big blowout, I also understand that no one wants to feel attacked. And that's mostly what it came down to - people feeling like they were being attacked, on all sides.

But as I said, I think it is for the best. There was just too much incompatibility in how things were progressing and there was no way to keep everyone happy.
Last edited by BeGad on Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeGad
---

Postby ChristianBethel » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:10 pm

BeGad wrote:Felarya used to have a very thriving community of writers and creators 10 years ago or so. Internet drama mostly dampened the mood.
Karbo is a nice guy and a great artist, but wasn't really ready to be operating a community or a worldbuilding project. Karbo had some really stellar writers and worldbuilders helping him out.
Unfortunately, there were some major issues that weren't being addressed and the community started to get more toxic. A big division at the time was between people interested in worldbuilding Felarya, and those interested just in the fetish aspect. The thing is, there really should have been no conflict over this - its easy to have both. The problem is that two writers very much on the "fetish" side of things, FrenchSnack and timing2, were continuously condescending and abrasive towards the "worldbuilding" community. These two were also clearly very favored by Karbo, forming an unhealthy hierarchy. FrenchSnack in particular is among the most prolific vore writers out there, and clearly felt that gave him a special role. I have no idea how the situation is today, but at the time, there was a very clear hierarchy in the community, where FrenchSnack and Timing2 had the ear of Karbo. They seemed to instantly understand that this letter was calling them out. They immediately went to Karbo and twisted the intention of the petition to be an attack on him. He went into a very paranoid mood and well... the rest is history. The worldbuilding community mostly just up and left and I don't think the forum or community ever really recovered. Honestly it was probably for the best. I don't think Karbo ever really wanted the kind of huge community he got, he was just happy to see enthusiasm for his ideas. I think it got too much to handle and there were too many competing viewpoints.

Yes, Felarya had a 'Golden Age' of sorts 10+ years ago. But the way I see it, it survived on Karbo's art, as opposed to a central narrative. Or at least, one that I've never seen or heard of. The early writers should have written a story using Karbo's original cast and incorporated their characters and ideas as the story progressed. This way, we would be able to look at the original story, whether it's a written work, a webcomic, etc. for reference to create the wiki. It was a grave mistake to make fetishes the main focus of Felarya without worldbuilding first. Most of the stories don't even delve into the lore and history of Felarya and instead contain nothing but vore and innocents being eaten. It's disgusting.

I never knew FrenchSnack and Timing2 acted in such a pretentious manner, especially when they were instrumental in the aforementioned abundance of vore material. Today, FrenchSnack is very cordial to everyone. Timing has been AFK for many years, unfortunately. The community is essentially defunct, at least on the forum and in the dA gallery. On the Discord, however, members do not talk about the proper Felaryan canon and just engage in roleplay. I have also learned there are three different canons for Felarya: the official wiki canon, the manga, and the Discord. The dA gallery only accepts art 'compatible' with the official canon. It's a sorry state of affairs.
ChristianBethel
New to the forum

Postby French_snack » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:22 am

BeGad wrote:The problem is that two writers very much on the "fetish" side of things, FrenchSnack and timing2, were continuously condescending and abrasive towards the "worldbuilding" community.

Um, no. Absolutely not. I was always content to "live and let live", to get on with writing my own stories and read with interest and enjoyment the world-building and stories written by others. I was never "condescending" or "abrasive", until one time briefly when I was personally attacked for not writing the type of stories that some people felt I should be writing.

The one and only time I got irritated and a bit snappish because of the condescension I was receiving, I apologised. My apology was ignored, with an incredible lack of grace.

Frenchsnack in particular is among the most prolific vore writers out there, and clearly felt that gave him a special role.

Again: Absolutely not. I've never tried to have a guiding role in Felarya or to police what other people should create. Quite the contrary: All I wanted was for everyone to continue to be creative in their own personal ways, and for them not to attack or try to dictate what others should be doing.

there was a very clear hierarchy in the community, where FrenchSnack and Timing2 had the ear of Karbo.

What simply happened, I think, is that the ways in which Timing and I quietly helped bring Felarya to life were more in tune with Karbo's own view of his world than other people's ideas on the setting. Also, Timing and I were writing our stories without bothering anyone else, just doing our own thing, while some other contributors were aggressively trying to impose their vision on everyone else, and were astonishingly condescending towards us.

Honestly it was probably for the best. I don't think Karbo ever really wanted the kind of huge community he got, he was just happy to see enthusiasm for his ideas. I think it got too much to handle and there were too many competing viewpoints.

I can agree with you there, at least. Felarya is a world open to those who want to unleash their own imagination into it, and enjoy it.

ChristianBethel wrote:I never knew FrenchSnack and Timing2 acted in such a pretentious manner, especially when they were instrumental in the aforementioned abundance of vore material. Today, FrenchSnack is very cordial to everyone.

We didn't. I've always been cordial to everyone, even when, years ago, I was receiving abuse and contempt for not writing what certain people felt I should be writing. I even had readers tell me they'd read and enjoyed my stories even though they had been told not to read them, by people trying to push me out of the community.

That's ancient history. I needed to respond to the misrepresentations in BeGad's posts, but I really don't want to revisit barren old conflicts.
My short stories (210 so far, 211th coming when I have time to write it):
http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=161506
French_snack
???

PreviousNext

Return to Karbo's City