How would Warhammer 40k Space Marines fare in Felarya?

Karbo's fans goes here!

Moderator: Karbo

Re: How would Warhammer 40k Space Marines fare in Felarya?

Postby Jacquelope » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

GenocideHeart wrote:Just one thing I'd like to throw out. Namely, if the Space Marines are from Catachan, then Felarya will feel like a relaxing vacation for them. Because no amount of giant monsters and all that is going to make them think of Felarya as worse than Catachan. At all.

Oh, I totally forgot about that. I remember an email I got from a WH40K fan about that not too long ago last year: you have to be a Blood Knight to even say the word 'Catachan' without pissing your pants. That planet has to be an abandoned Tyranid colony; nothing else explains that mess.
Experiment: Will a grenade kill a giant naga by exploding in its belly?
Test #1: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga''s mouth.
Test #2: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga's throat.
Further tests delayed until another live specimen can be acquired.
Jacquelope
???

Postby rcs619 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 am

HereticRAIDAA wrote:>discussion about 40k

>Mankind is basically a paranoid, overzealous theocracy that will firebomb the shit out of you

>not considering that the Inquisition would've called down Exterminatus on Felarya

Eka's Portal, I am disappoint.

That's actually impossible, since Felarya is a pocket-dimension and has no "space" around it. You can't bomb it from orbit because it doesn't exist in real-space. The only way in is through portals or to be unlucky and get caught in a vanishing land/dimensional anomaly.
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:20 pm

rcs619 wrote:
And yet in real life, known man-eaters (or even just predators attacking our precious pets and livestock) tend to not last long because human beings simply are vengeful SOBs like that. That applies to your shark example later as well -- if a shark attacks a human, humans in that region are far more likely to go on a general anti-shark rampage for a while than to go out of their way to make sure no "innocent" sharks get hurt in search of the real culprit. That's how we crazy naked apes roll.

Doesn't really happen with sharks much anymore. That was more common a decade or so ago. Now, all a shark attack gets is a news story. If anything,

Plus, there is a huge difference between that example, and Felarya. Humans are the dominant life-form on Earth. We can afford to get vengeful and petty because there's literally nothing any animal on Earth can do to stop any armed or equipped group of humans. Felarya is different. Even just some of the regular wildlife could give a T-rex a run for it's money, much less a human. The giant hybrids require military-grade weapons to even hurt to any significant degree, much less kill. You have to pick your battles in Felarya. Know what you can and cannot do, because if you go off into the jungle, you're entering the domain of creatures, plants and people who are bigger, stronger and have decades more experience living there than you (remember, giant hybrids do not even reach maturity until around 40 years old). Vengeance-strikes are just not a viable option for regular people in Felarya. The people who try them, well you never hear from them again.

Felarya is a world where you move on from tragedy. You learn form it, realize it sucks, and move on because you can't do anything about it unless you happen to have a rocket-launcher laying around and can survive an extended trip through the wilderness, and somehow locate the pred you're after before he/she locates you and gets the jump on you.

After mulling it over for a while, I think I see what our problem here is -- we're arguing from literally opposite points of view. You're talking about people trapped in Felarya, while my last points were all about people outside it deciding to sit up, take notice, and finally do something about that meddlesome pocket dimension.

And whoever wants to seriously argue how unlikely it is that anybody might ever have both the means and the will to do so had best keep in mind that said outside consists of 'only' the entire rest of reality...
Mark
Participator

Postby HereticRAIDAA » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:42 pm

rcs619 wrote:
HereticRAIDAA wrote:>discussion about 40k

>Mankind is basically a paranoid, overzealous theocracy that will firebomb the shit out of you

>not considering that the Inquisition would've called down Exterminatus on Felarya

Eka's Portal, I am disappoint.

That's actually impossible, since Felarya is a pocket-dimension and has no "space" around it. You can't bomb it from orbit because it doesn't exist in real-space. The only way in is through portals or to be unlucky and get caught in a vanishing land/dimensional anomaly.

You're forgetting that the only way of space-travel is through hell itself.
HereticRAIDAA
Been posting for a bit

Postby deathknight » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:37 pm

why won't this thread be locked and just die already. It boils down to this, Felarya is an overblown world where anything giant and/or cute wins and anything tiny can go suck it and Warhammer 40k is only with war with tyranids death and with life sucking. End of story lets move on now and clsoe the topic
deathknight
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby right2fail » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 pm

To be perfectly honest, If you want to judge how Space Marines would fare in Felarya, don't at all rely on the videogames, or the videogame trailers. You should rely more solely on the fluff content of the actual tabletop game, (which came loooooooong before the videogames) which, in my opinion, is a lot more gruesome, dark, and just overall more hardcore and vicious than the videogames. Are any of you familiar with the term "grimdark?" "Grimdark" originated in Warhammer 40k, the tabletop game, which is almost as old as Dungeons & Dragons. (Dungeons & Dragons was THE first tabletop rpg, having existed before the invention of videogames.) But I digress. The term "grimdark" comes from the phrase, "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war."

And, if you truly believe that giant snakewomen are the apex predator, (I fucking love nagas, and Karbo, for the record) Then you should see what these things called Tyranids, aliens from the Warhammer40k universe, do to any and all varieties of life. If one of the giant nagas/other varieties of monster-girls attempted to eat Tyranids, (which would probably be included in the Tyranids' tactics, by the way) They would literally eat the naga from the inside out, like vicious wasp spawn within a paralyzed spider. You see, Tyranids' greatest advantage is their sheer number. A Hive Mind, which controls the tyranids, sends out millions of tyranids into an environment, and based on the information it receives from the tyranids' minds, it creates new genetic varieties of Tyranids, specifically designed to survive and fight within the hostile environments native to the place being assaulted. Such as, say, THE INSIDE OF A NAGA'S STOMACH. If Tyranids invaded Earth, they would first target the more accessible places, devouring all life there, from microscopic to enormous, and then the hive mind would create new varieties, not minding the sacrifice of the millions of the other Tyranids, to venture into places such as the insides of volcanoes, the frozen lands of the polar icecaps, and the depths of the ocean floor. Creating new, harder to kill, varieties of Tyranids is as easy as flipping a switch, for a Hive Mind.

And Space Marines have to fight these things. What does that say about them? :3
right2fail
Been posting for a bit

Postby French_snack » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 am

deathknight wrote:Felarya is an overblown world where anything giant and/or cute wins and anything tiny can go suck it

Actually, no. It's a far more rich and complex / nuanced world than that. Only someone utterly uninvolved with it would make that gross oversimplification.
My short stories (210 so far, 211th coming when I have time to write it):
http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=161506
French_snack
???

Postby Jacquelope » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:53 pm

deathknight wrote:why won't this thread be locked and just die already. It boils down to this, Felarya is an overblown world where anything giant and/or cute wins and anything tiny can go suck it and Warhammer 40k is only with war with tyranids death and with life sucking. End of story lets move on now and clsoe the topic

Unnamed predators get nommed in Felarya, so not everything giant and/or cute wins. However it does say a lot that not one single named cute predator in the Wiki has met an untimely demise, much less died because of hunting the wrong neko or human. Unless of course the Wiki is out of date and in which case, what is canon nowadays?
Jacquelope
???

Postby Iceman23 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:53 pm

French_snack wrote:
deathknight wrote:Felarya is an overblown world where anything giant and/or cute wins and anything tiny can go suck it

Actually, no. It's a far more rich and complex / nuanced world than that. Only someone utterly uninvolved with it would make that gross oversimplification.

No not really, only the biggest are considered the most dangerous(Nagas, harpies, dryads, etc), and if it's not big, it's cute, and if it's cute, it has size changing abilities(Fairies), so, only the big and the cute get anywhere.
It's a story about giant naked snakegirls eating people smaller than them and having nauseating dialogue in the between times, let's not try to pass it off as a literary epic.
Iceman23
New to the forum

Postby Jacquelope » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Iceman23 wrote:
French_snack wrote:

No not really, only the biggest are considered the most dangerous(Nagas, harpies, dryads, etc), and if it's not big, it's cute, and if it's cute, it has size changing abilities(Fairies), so, only the big and the cute get anywhere.
It's a story about giant naked snakegirls eating people smaller than them and having nauseating dialogue in the between times, let's not try to pass it off as a literary epic.

Which is why it's worth catching French Snack's stories. They're a little different from that; still, one has to ask... what is canon nowadays?
Jacquelope
???

Postby French_snack » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Iceman23 wrote:No not really, only the biggest are considered the most dangerous(Nagas, harpies, dryads, etc), and if it's not big, it's cute, and if it's cute, it has size changing abilities(Fairies), so, only the big and the cute get anywhere.

You clearly don't read many Felarya stories. No, of course it's not "a literary epic", but there are a number of very good writers, and their stories go well beyond mere vore, or "nauseating dialogue".

There's not much sense in expressing an "opinion" about something you know virtually nothing about.

Jacquelope wrote:Which is why it's worth catching French Snack's stories. They're a little different from that; still, one has to ask... what is canon nowadays?

Thank you. To answer your question: The wiki is canon. No canon character has been killed - probably because they belong to a number of different writers, few of whom feel like killing off their own main character. Ravana did kill off one of his main giantess characters once, but she hadn't been canonised into the wiki. And a number of giant characters have suffered from the actions of "small people" - Jora being kidnapped, and that kidnapping being used to coerce Jade; or Milly's poisoning in one of my early stories.
French_snack
???

Postby deathknight » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 pm

French_snack wrote:

Thats how it pretty much stands man. If you look at alot of the artwork that is drawn of the predators from felraya, humans, nekos etc are devoured by cute giants, nagas, harpies, etc and people often cheer on the predator. I have tried to get into felraya before, its too grossly unbalanced with the races and whatnot.
deathknight
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Iceman23 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:30 am

deathknight wrote:
French_snack wrote:

Thats how it pretty much stands man. If you look at alot of the artwork that is drawn of the predators from felraya, humans, nekos etc are devoured by cute giants, nagas, harpies, etc and people often cheer on the predator. I have tried to get into felraya before, its too grossly unbalanced with the races and whatnot.

And the thing is, you're right. I've been watching the fandom grow for years, it's never ceased to disappoint me with the potential that it won't tap. Currently, as far as Karbo's universe(NOT the fanfiction stories), it's only giant cute female nagas, fairies and the like that get praise and a continued stream of airtime. Everything small is typically devoured and forgotten, and the fans just eat it all up(No pun intended).
Iceman23
New to the forum

Postby rcs619 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:12 am

deathknight wrote:
French_snack wrote:

To be fair, imbalance between species is somewhat situational.

Out in the middle of the wilderness, yes, the odds are highly stacked against humans and human-sized hybrids. Felarya is a death-trap. Honestly, giant hybrids like nagas and harpies aren't all THAT common, at least not as much as some people make them out to be. The vast majority of people who head out into the Felaryan wilderness and get killed are going to fall victim to some kind of wild animal, or carnivorous plant. Actually running across a giant hybrid is kind of a semi-rare thing, and involves surviving long enough to get that deep into the wild. Or you're just extremely unlucky.

Things are completely different around a more civilized area. A giant pred would be stupid to get too close to the city of Negav. Between the Isolon Eye (a large, magical artifact that repels giants), and the large guns it has mounted onto its walls, Negav is just a place a giant hybrid doesn't want to be. There is also the Isolon Fist, a highly trained and well-armed military group composed of battlemages and traditionally armed soldiers. Not people some random naga wants to mess with.

Chiotia City is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It is located on an island out in the Topazial Sea. The city itself is built on the shores of a bay that is home to a species of giant stinging kelp. It does not affect smaller people or wildlife at all, but it is something that giant mermaids know to avoid. The only preds that can get to the city are the local group of harpies who live in the nearby mountains, and sea krait nagas, who can move on land and water. Chiotia has used diplomacy to forge an understanding with these two groups, and they leave the city and its people alone.

nd the thing is, you're right. I've been watching the fandom grow for years, it's never ceased to disappoint me with the potential that it won't tap. Currently, as far as Karbo's universe(NOT the fanfiction stories), it's only giant cute female nagas, fairies and the like that get praise and a continued stream of airtime. Everything small is typically devoured and forgotten, and the fans just eat it all up(No pun intended).

I will agree that there is a lot of untapped potential. A lot of people are all too happy to re-hash commonly used themes and tropes of the setting, and/or only in it for the fetish aspect.

Not all are though. There is a smaller group within the setting who just want to tell good stories, and think the world itself is interesting. That would be the group I'm in. Hell, I only joined Eka's to post in this sub-forum and maybe help some people here realize there's more to Felarya than just vore. Not saying you can't have that too, of course, but there are so many other interesting aspects to the setting as well. Like Negav, Chiotia and the Isolon Fist.

...I mean, how many stories have people written about The Fist? Well, about the real Fist as they are presented in the canon.

http://rcs619.deviantart.com/art/Just-another-day-on-the-job-212686442 I have at least =D
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby French_snack » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 pm

deathknight wrote:Thats how it pretty much stands man. If you look at alot of the artwork that is drawn of the predators from felraya, humans, nekos etc are devoured by cute giants, nagas, harpies, etc and people often cheer on the predator. I have tried to get into felraya before, its too grossly unbalanced with the races and whatnot.

Artwork, maybe. By definition, the stories tend to go a little deeper than the pictures.

And as Cliff (rcs619) said, the imbalance depends largely on location. If humans venture out into the lands of the predators, they're looking for trouble. But if the predators head onto the lands controlled by humans, it can be far more even.
French_snack
???

Postby Iceman23 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:07 pm

French_snack wrote:
deathknight wrote:Thats how it pretty much stands man. If you look at alot of the artwork that is drawn of the predators from felraya, humans, nekos etc are devoured by cute giants, nagas, harpies, etc and people often cheer on the predator. I have tried to get into felraya before, its too grossly unbalanced with the races and whatnot.

Artwork, maybe. By definition, the stories tend to go a little deeper than the pictures.

And as Cliff (rcs619) said, the imbalance depends largely on location. If humans venture out into the lands of the predators, they're looking for trouble. But if the predators head onto the lands controlled by humans, it can be far more even.

Why are you so adamant about this? Look, if you read the "tomes" what it boils down to is pure fetish fuel and very little else. The story there isn't deep and it isn't intricate, it's made to get people their jollies, and it delivers; the stories are a, well, different story.

On the surface all we see is what we'll get unless we venture deeper. The fandom has it's share of nobodies who only focus on the vore, and then there are others who simply want to deepen the story; that's fine, that's all well and good and I won't contest that, but what I'm saying is simple. Felarya as brought to us by Karbo is not deep, but damn is it sexy, and that's really all it'll ever be.
Iceman23
New to the forum

Postby rcs619 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 am

Iceman23 wrote:
French_snack wrote:

Why are you so adamant about this? Look, if you read the "tomes" what it boils down to is pure fetish fuel and very little else. The story there isn't deep and it isn't intricate, it's made to get people their jollies, and it delivers; the stories are a, well, different story.

On the surface all we see is what we'll get unless we venture deeper. The fandom has it's share of nobodies who only focus on the vore, and then there are others who simply want to deepen the story; that's fine, that's all well and good and I won't contest that, but what I'm saying is simple. Felarya as brought to us by Karbo is not deep, but damn is it sexy, and that's really all it'll ever be.

I honestly don't see the "manga is pure fetish-fuel" argument.

If Karbo wanted to make straight-up porn, he could. If he wanted to just make a vore-fetish comic, he could make another "Hard Choices" type comic.

There really isn't all that much vore in the main manga series. Out of 80-100 pages (going by tomes, let's say 2-5), there's maybe 10-12 pages involving vore? That isn't a fetish comic, that's a comic that just includes some fetishy material here and there. There isn't even anything overtly sexual in the main mangas. The closest the mangas have come to anything sexual was when Vivian and Crisis went off for some private time in, I think it was tome 2, but even that was more innuendo than anything. There is nudity, sure, but nudity is not inherently sexual. Honestly, after being around Felarya so long, I don't even notice the nudity anymore. To me, that is just how the characters look.

I don't think anyone is making the argument that the Felarya mangas are super-deep, super-serious comics. They're fun little mangas one guy does in his spare time, set in a strange little fantasy world. The characters and plot aren't necessarily that deep yet (although, to be fair, the main plot doesn't seem to be started yet), but it does have characters with personality, and it does have a story that is trying to be told. It definitely isn't "pure fetish-fuel" though, it isn't even porn.

I'm not saying there isn't fetishy stuff in the mangas, but I do think it is pretty unfair to just say "These are all pure fetish-fuel for people to masturbate to", when they aren't, and aren't intended to be.
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby GREGOLE » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm

The manga is only just now getting off the ground. Each 'volume' is about as long as a typical manga chapter, meaning of the tomes that have been released, we have more or less the equivalent of one volume. In other words, we're at the 'this is who we are and this is what we do' phase. And it's rare you meet a series that doesn't have a bit of turbulence before it takes off. '

But even with this, the manga does have a plot building up, is very clearly leading up to something, and is going out of its way to develop the characters. Right now it's in the 'breaking in' phase, so there's due cause for it to simply play around in the setting for a while before delving into deeper territory.
GREGOLE
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Filan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Actually far more dangerous than anything from the 40k verse to Felarya... a single MMO raid group of skilled players... they would kill every Naga in sight just to see if it had loot. and would keep killing until they got loot. They would kill the space marines that got in the way(for loot), Wipe out Negav(for loot unless it was a neutral city to use as a base camp). Gamers are the most dangerous creatures in the fantasy worlds.
Elven Captain and Owner of the S.S. Hyperion, Hyperion Class Airship Luxury Liner Converted to Cargo hauler
Finest ship to fly the skies of Earth
Filan
???

Postby Wazug » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 am

I am curious what would happen if Tyranids were to get onto felarya. In detail anyway even the genestealer way.
Wazug
New to the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Karbo's City