How would Warhammer 40k Space Marines fare in Felarya?

Karbo's fans goes here!

Moderator: Karbo

Re: How would Warhammer 40k Space Marines fare in Felarya?

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:02 pm

rcs619 wrote:That makes about as much sense as trying to bomb the ocean to avenge the loss of a town to a tidal wave. The various types of dimensional anomalies are just unpredictable natural events.

That's actually an interesting analogy because we are in fact working on addressing the problem of tidal waves in real life. Starting with early warning systems to eventually solve just that problem of unpredictability as a first step...

...and it's a safe bet that if we ever do figure out a reasonably practical way to actually tame Earth's geological processes and put a stop to such destructive randomness as earthquakes and tsunamis (it may never come to that, but for argument's sake let's assume we just might someday), we'll eventually go ahead and do just that. Because at that point the "oh, it's just nature, nothing to be done about it" excuse will start to ring a mite hollow.
Mark
Participator

Postby rcs619 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:10 pm

This is talking about displaced land as in land that was once a part of some other realm, right? And a predator can wind up intruding on that land? Wouldn't there potentially be civilians there that got displaced with the land? I know it's rare, but depending on where this happens, a whole city could go from living their lives to coming into direct contact with Felarya and all of its friendly neighborhood denizens. Just wondering

Potentially, yeah. But keep in mind, nearly all vanishing lands do "snap back" home after a time. So, if they just stay put, and hold out, they're fine. There are extremely rare cases of a land being permanently displaced, but the only example I know of is The Jungle Bowl.

I have to imagine that most preds are going to be very cautious of vanishing lands, since you CAN potentially get taken away with it never to return, and you never really know when it will snap back. I mean, in the mangas, even Crisis didn't rush into the middle of a vanishing land that contained a city. She was content to try and just pick off some people who wandered away from it. I just don't think it would be worth to risk to most preds who know what a vanishing land is.

Now the large, dangerous animals are a different story. They WOULD be a potential problem, since...well, they're animals and aren't smart enough to know what is going on. But they are much more manageable for the average human than a giant hybrid.
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby Jacquelope » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 am

rcs619 wrote:I have to imagine that most preds are going to be very cautious of vanishing lands, since you CAN potentially get taken away with it never to return, and you never really know when it will snap back. I mean, in the mangas, even Crisis didn't rush into the middle of a vanishing land that contained a city. She was content to try and just pick off some people who wandered away from it. I just don't think it would be worth to risk to most preds who know what a vanishing land is.

And this gets to the crux of things. Let me see if I have this right... a named pred (let's say Crisis, or worse, Katrika, who is known to wait for and snack on strays) eats a stray, and since no one knows about her, no one goes looking for this missing person. Or by the time they do, the land vanishes back "home". Or it's a victim no one cares about. Or the victim's neighbors are left clueless. Or the city lacks the resources to chase said predator down. Or... or... or... it doesn't matter if a named pred only stumbles upon a random vanishing land and picks off clueless strays once in a lifetime or 10 times a year; somehow their luck never, ever runs out.

Now the large, dangerous animals are a different story. They WOULD be a potential problem, since...well, they're animals and aren't smart enough to know what is going on. But they are much more manageable for the average human than a giant hybrid.

This ain't like bombing an ocean to stop the tidal waves; sentient or not, there are killers out there to be targeted and dealt with. For a city that suddenly finds itself in Felarya this is an issue; and for the government that rules that city, Felarya, or more specifically, the predators within, becomes an issue.

Fortunately, for Felarya, it's quite difficult to find that realm again after it has temporarily snatched one of your cities and one or more of its sentient/non-sentient denizens have taken the lives of a few of your people before you get that city back........
Experiment: Will a grenade kill a giant naga by exploding in its belly?
Test #1: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga''s mouth.
Test #2: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga's throat.
Further tests delayed until another live specimen can be acquired.
Jacquelope
???

Postby rcs619 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

And this gets to the crux of things. Let me see if I have this right... a named pred (let's say Crisis, or worse, Katrika, who is known to wait for and snack on strays) eats a stray, and since no one knows about her, no one goes looking for this missing person. Or by the time they do, the land vanishes back "home". Or it's a victim no one cares about. Or the victim's neighbors are left clueless. Or the city lacks the resources to chase said predator down. Or... or... or... it doesn't matter if a named pred only stumbles upon a random vanishing land and picks off clueless strays once in a lifetime or 10 times a year; somehow their luck never, ever runs out

Short of a military base getting caught up in a vanishing land, civilians from another world are about as effective against giant predators as a native Felaryan living in the middle of the jungle. Hiding is your best bet in those cases, get someplace small and tight, where the pred can't get at you, or even find you. The best thing people stuck on a vanishing land can do is hole up someplace they can secure. Most sentient preds are not going to walk up onto a vanishing land and risk getting taken away at random (As mentioned, even Crisis limits herself to picking off people who stray away from the VL). The only preds who would take that kind of risk are the very greedy, the risk-takers, or someone who just is completely ignorant to what a vanishing land is.

However, giant wildlife, such as Kensha Beasts, Tonorions, and the other many types of large, dangerous animals found in Felarya... they actually are a very real threat, since they are, well, animals and will go to wherever food is.

As far as people lusting for revenge... that is an overused cliche, and not necessarily how people think in a disaster situation. When you're in that kind of trouble, you worry about survival. If Steve gets killed, well that sucks for him. You can mourn later, but for now you have to survive. Any people that would run off into the jungle for "revenge" against a creature that can only be harmed by military-grade weapons are either incredibly stupid, or acting so irrational that, honestly, they deserve what they get. There would be people like that, but anyone who's lived in Felarya for any length of time would not be that stupid. Death is a part of life there, and if someone you know dies, you move on. You do what you have to do to survive.

This ain't like bombing an ocean to stop the tidal waves; sentient or not, there are killers out there to be targeted and dealt with. For a city that suddenly finds itself in Felarya this is an issue; and for the government that rules that city, Felarya, or more specifically, the predators within, becomes an issue.

All-out offense is a terrible idea against Felarya. It's an alien landscape full of a 1000 different ways to die between the poisonous plants, insects, reptiles, carnivorous plants, large wildlife (tiger-sized, bear-sized and so on), giant wildlife (kenshas, tonorions and so on) and finally, if you can even find one, the giant hybrids who are not only larger than the largest creature to ever exist on Earth, but also have intelligence, enhanced senses and magic.

Playing offense is how people get killed. Defense is the way to go. Stay hidden, dig out some places to hide, or if you have the resources, get your position fortified as best you can.

Fortunately, for Felarya, it's quite difficult to find that realm again after it has temporarily snatched one of your cities and one or more of its sentient/non-sentient denizens have taken the lives of a few of your people before you get that city back

My question is, why would you even try to go back? Why would your people even support that?

It isn't like the Felaryan creatures came to their world, and started wrecking things. The people on the vanishing land went to them, and Felarya just kept acting normally. It's like killing a shark for attacking a surfer. The surfer went into the shark's world, and the shark was...well, just being a shark. All you can really do is move on and learn from it, since finding the same shark again and killing it is just a waste of time for no real gain.
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby Jacquelope » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 pm

rcs619 wrote:As far as people lusting for revenge... that is an overused cliche, and not necessarily how people think in a disaster situation.

Uh, no it's not - it's human nature. Disaster or no, revenge against an opportunistic predator is going to become an issue. Especially when it involves one's friends or family. Friends and family rarely just let that kind of thing go; it does happen but it is rare. What protects Felarya is that the game is rigged so that these unfortunate cities and towns are cut off from their modern defense forces, and then said land vanishes back to its origin, protecting Felarya's predators (sentients picking off strays, tonorions going in to raid the city) from the consequences of these incidents. Let's be honest, it's a convenient way to rig a realm to keep the giant predators in a dominant position and largely free from human retaliation.
Jacquelope
???

Postby demon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:25 pm

rcs619 wrote:
And this gets to the crux of things. Let me see if I have this right... a named pred (let's say Crisis, or worse, Katrika, who is known to wait for and snack on strays) eats a stray, and since no one knows about her, no one goes looking for this missing person. Or by the time they do, the land vanishes back "home". Or it's a victim no one cares about. Or the victim's neighbors are left clueless. Or the city lacks the resources to chase said predator down. Or... or... or... it doesn't matter if a named pred only stumbles upon a random vanishing land and picks off clueless strays once in a lifetime or 10 times a year; somehow their luck never, ever runs out

Short of a military base getting caught up in a vanishing land, civilians from another world are about as effective against giant predators as a native Felaryan living in the middle of the jungle. Hiding is your best bet in those cases, get someplace small and tight, where the pred can't get at you, or even find you. The best thing people stuck on a vanishing land can do is hole up someplace they can secure. Most sentient preds are not going to walk up onto a vanishing land and risk getting taken away at random (As mentioned, even Crisis limits herself to picking off people who stray away from the VL). The only preds who would take that kind of risk are the very greedy, the risk-takers, or someone who just is completely ignorant to what a vanishing land is.

However, giant wildlife, such as Kensha Beasts, Tonorions, and the other many types of large, dangerous animals found in Felarya... they actually are a very real threat, since they are, well, animals and will go to wherever food is.

As far as people lusting for revenge... that is an overused cliche, and not necessarily how people think in a disaster situation. When you're in that kind of trouble, you worry about survival. If Steve gets killed, well that sucks for him. You can mourn later, but for now you have to survive. Any people that would run off into the jungle for "revenge" against a creature that can only be harmed by military-grade weapons are either incredibly stupid, or acting so irrational that, honestly, they deserve what they get. There would be people like that, but anyone who's lived in Felarya for any length of time would not be that stupid. Death is a part of life there, and if someone you know dies, you move on. You do what you have to do to survive.

All-out offense is a terrible idea against Felarya. It's an alien landscape full of a 1000 different ways to die between the poisonous plants, insects, reptiles, carnivorous plants, large wildlife (tiger-sized, bear-sized and so on), giant wildlife (kenshas, tonorions and so on) and finally, if you can even find one, the giant hybrids who are not only larger than the largest creature to ever exist on Earth, but also have intelligence, enhanced senses and magic.

Playing offense is how people get killed. Defense is the way to go. Stay hidden, dig out some places to hide, or if you have the resources, get your position fortified as best you can.

Fortunately, for Felarya, it's quite difficult to find that realm again after it has temporarily snatched one of your cities and one or more of its sentient/non-sentient denizens have taken the lives of a few of your people before you get that city back

My question is, why would you even try to go back? Why would your people even support that?

It isn't like the Felaryan creatures came to their world, and started wrecking things. The people on the vanishing land went to them, and Felarya just kept acting normally. It's like killing a shark for attacking a surfer. The surfer went into the shark's world, and the shark was...well, just being a shark. All you can really do is move on and learn from it, since finding the same shark again and killing it is just a waste of time for no real gain.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but rcs619 I would like you to come see my new post I made called Gotta epic new idea for felarya.come check it out please have Karbo look at it too.
There is light and there is darkness I am the darkness and i am the demon that haunts you in your dreams. beware the shadows for true evil hides in it.
demon
Somewhat familiar

Postby VirtuosoViking » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Okay, I read several posts back that Negav is a kind of trade city with an inter-dimensional gate, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Well where does it go exactly? Is there some sort of set destination that people go to? Is it possible to go to more than one place? Does it require an extreme amount of experience to operate? I would like to know so I can validate some facts for my next question. Thanks.
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby rcs619 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:40 am

Uh, no it's not - it's human nature. Disaster or no, revenge against an opportunistic predator is going to become an issue. Especially when it involves one's friends or family. Friends and family rarely just let that kind of thing go; it does happen but it is rare. What protects Felarya is that the game is rigged so that these unfortunate cities and towns are cut off from their modern defense forces, and then said land vanishes back to its origin, protecting Felarya's predators (sentients picking off strays, tonorions going in to raid the city) from the consequences of these incidents. Let's be honest, it's a convenient way to rig a realm to keep the giant predators in a dominant position and largely free from human retaliation.

...The preds, by and large, aren't in a dominant position though. They live in the middle of a wilderness that is fully capable of killing them for messing up, just like anyone else. They are uneducated, and don't possess any real tech beyond simple tools (except the more organized dridder tribes). Even their magic is not nearly as refined as, say, the mages of Negav who have had formal education and training. The main thing the preds have going for them is that they are bigger, and more intelligent than most other things around them. They are far from invincible though.

Okay, I read several posts back that Negav is a kind of trade city with an inter-dimensional gate, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Well where does it go exactly? Is there some sort of set destination that people go to? Is it possible to go to more than one place? Does it require an extreme amount of experience to operate? I would like to know so I can validate some facts for my next question. Thanks.

Negav is known to trade with more than a dozen other worlds (maybe more. There is no set number), predominantly human ones from what I've seen, some of them even more advanced technologically than modern Earth. The exact mechanics of the trade haven't been set in stone yet. Personally, I think they make the gate link to set points on those trade-worlds, and set intervals, allowing Negav to alternate its gate between its many trade partners.

The people who run and operate the gate are the Psi'sol Magiocrat Council, the group of mages who run the mines in the Ascarlin mountains, who's rare minerals (including ascarlin, which is said to be able to buy whole kingdoms with just a few good pieces) bring in a lot of the city's wealth. The Magiocrats also run the city of Negav itself. Considering the gate is very ancient magic (it was already there before Negav was even built), it's likely that the Magiocrats are the only ones who even know how the thing works.
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby VirtuosoViking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:03 am

rcs619 wrote:Negav is known to trade with more than a dozen other worlds (maybe more. There is no set number), predominantly human ones from what I've seen, some of them even more advanced technologically than modern Earth. The exact mechanics of the trade haven't been set in stone yet. Personally, I think they make the gate link to set points on those trade-worlds, and set intervals, allowing Negav to alternate its gate between its many trade partners.

The people who run and operate the gate are the Psi'sol Magiocrat Council, the group of mages who run the mines in the Ascarlin mountains, who's rare minerals (including ascarlin, which is said to be able to buy whole kingdoms with just a few good pieces) bring in a lot of the city's wealth. The Magiocrats also run the city of Negav itself. Considering the gate is very ancient magic (it was already there before Negav was even built), it's likely that the Magiocrats are the only ones who even know how the thing works.

Ok, I think I understand. Going back to the topic at hand, I was wondering if maybe the Space Marines would try to use the gate for reinforcements, but it looks like the only way they'll do that is if they force them to operate it. Still though, if by some chance they did use the gate, then I'm thinking all hell would break loose if the Space Marines manage a working link between Felarya and the Warhammer universe. They would seek total domination, the humans would have to join or die, the preds would most likely get involved, and it will probably get worse from there on out. I don't think there would be any winning sides...
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:03 am

rcs619 wrote:As far as people lusting for revenge... that is an overused cliche, and not necessarily how people think in a disaster situation.

And yet in real life, known man-eaters (or even just predators attacking our precious pets and livestock) tend to not last long because human beings simply are vengeful SOBs like that. That applies to your shark example later as well -- if a shark attacks a human, humans in that region are far more likely to go on a general anti-shark rampage for a while than to go out of their way to make sure no "innocent" sharks get hurt in search of the real culprit. That's how we crazy naked apes roll.

As far as Felarya vs. anybody else goes...the problem with resolving anything like that remains that it's purely a fictional setting and thus who would win ultimately has to come down to a popularity contest. We can't really gather a bunch of space marines, set them loose in Felarya, and sit back to observe the outcome to settle things once and for all because neither Felarya nor the WK40K universe really exist.

I still think we should just quietly let both settings collapse into singularities under the weight of their own respective masses of handwavium and start over. ;)
Mark
Participator

Postby rcs619 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 am

And yet in real life, known man-eaters (or even just predators attacking our precious pets and livestock) tend to not last long because human beings simply are vengeful SOBs like that. That applies to your shark example later as well -- if a shark attacks a human, humans in that region are far more likely to go on a general anti-shark rampage for a while than to go out of their way to make sure no "innocent" sharks get hurt in search of the real culprit. That's how we crazy naked apes roll.

Doesn't really happen with sharks much anymore. That was more common a decade or so ago. Now, all a shark attack gets is a news story. If anything,

Plus, there is a huge difference between that example, and Felarya. Humans are the dominant life-form on Earth. We can afford to get vengeful and petty because there's literally nothing any animal on Earth can do to stop any armed or equipped group of humans. Felarya is different. Even just some of the regular wildlife could give a T-rex a run for it's money, much less a human. The giant hybrids require military-grade weapons to even hurt to any significant degree, much less kill. You have to pick your battles in Felarya. Know what you can and cannot do, because if you go off into the jungle, you're entering the domain of creatures, plants and people who are bigger, stronger and have decades more experience living there than you (remember, giant hybrids do not even reach maturity until around 40 years old). Vengeance-strikes are just not a viable option for regular people in Felarya. The people who try them, well you never hear from them again.

Felarya is a world where you move on from tragedy. You learn form it, realize it sucks, and move on because you can't do anything about it unless you happen to have a rocket-launcher laying around and can survive an extended trip through the wilderness, and somehow locate the pred you're after before he/she locates you and gets the jump on you.
rcs619
New to the forum

Postby Filan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:41 pm

heh wow never expected to see you show up on this site rcs619 =)
Elven Captain and Owner of the S.S. Hyperion, Hyperion Class Airship Luxury Liner Converted to Cargo hauler
Finest ship to fly the skies of Earth
Filan
???

Postby Jacquelope » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Mark wrote:

Indeed. It's unheard of that humans won't go all-out to stay on top of the food chain. And bringing bigger and bigger weapons to deal with threats? Absolutely right out. In Felarya humans are magically indoctrinated not to escalate. Something akin to the Space Marines couldn't happen because they would melt the Plot Armor covering all named preds (Crisis, etc.), and they could never, ever be indoctrinated out of surpassing the food chain.
Jacquelope
???

Postby Iceman23 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Space Marines would probably be fine on their own; we're forgetting that, while massive and predatory, the giant nagas are severely lacking in common sense and an ability to problem solve.
Iceman23
New to the forum

Postby deletedaccount505 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Space Marines wouldn't do well, but those Tyranids would excel and eradicate all!

Spoiler: show
ImageImage
"It doesn't matter who you are on the outside, but it does matter who you have digesting inside."

deletedaccount505
???

Postby unholyman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Being a Warhammer player, i see only one force having any chance at all, and that is the Daemons of Chaos. I dont care how physically strong you are, if a daemon pulls your soul out of your body, your just as dead. and some of the daemons can get very large. and Im not even getting into the daemon princes, or the lords.
unholyman
New to the forum

Postby HereticRAIDAA » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm

>discussion about 40k

>Mankind is basically a paranoid, overzealous theocracy that will firebomb the shit out of you

>not considering that the Inquisition would've called down Exterminatus on Felarya

Eka's Portal, I am disappoint.
HereticRAIDAA
Been posting for a bit

Postby deletedaccount505 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 pm

All a Tyranid (gene-stealer) would have to do is catch prey and place their sperm/egg inside and wait. Either that or take down one of the larger more powerful ones, just one, and add it to its DNA library and counter all defenses. Not to mention Hive Mind is far more intelligent than any pesky, troglodyte human could contain.
"It doesn't matter who you are on the outside, but it does matter who you have digesting inside."

deletedaccount505
???

Postby GREGOLE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

The fandom would assemble their Eldar and Tyranid armies and forcibly remove the space marines so that they could get back to their fantasy world in peace.
GREGOLE
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby GenocideHeart » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Just one thing I'd like to throw out. Namely, if the Space Marines are from Catachan, then Felarya will feel like a relaxing vacation for them. Because no amount of giant monsters and all that is going to make them think of Felarya as worse than Catachan. At all.

And given how Catachan Devils are the size of the average Felaryan predator, move ungodly fast for something that heavy and huge (fast enough that autotracking systems sometimes lose sight of them), AND they are basically armored carnivorous scorpions with a mean streak a hundred miles wide and longer than the horizon, AND Space Marines stationed on Catachan have to be able to take those things down in small teams of as little as 4/5 people, AND they aren't even the nastiest things on Catachan (that'd be the Barking Toads, which even Catachan Devils are afraid of)... yeeeaaaahhhh...

Never going on a 40k campaign on Catachan again. Horrible experience.
GenocideHeart
New to the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Karbo's City